Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Brawnfire posted:

Let chicken bathe in it then fry it then explode

Seconding this. Chick-Fil-A marinades their chicken in pickle juice and milk and they know their poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Guildenstern Mother posted:

I didn't know I needed eggs bene speedruns in my life, thank you for sharing.

In other news I'm workshopping a pork stew with cranberries and parsnips(?). Some white wine and sage and maybe a little bacon? I'm hearing talk that cranberries and parsnips would be a terrible match but I thought I'd ask you fine folks.

Just be aware that parsnips can tend to dominate flavour wise. I'd be tempted to have them mashed on the side instead of in the stew.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Eat This Glob posted:

It reminds me of the Americana theme restaurant in The Good Place tv show which featured a "4th of July" drink special that is half an apple pie, blended with southern comfort and Coca-Cola and served in a Chevy hub cap.

https://news.avclub.com/check-out-all-these-jokes-packed-into-the-good-place-s-1829553346

NGL I could see that working.

I've already told my East London homies when this poo poo is over im holding a fuckoff massive bbq at mine. Might even get a new grill/smoker for superior pulled pork purposes.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Helith posted:

Egg rolls are Spring Rolls right? Why are they called Egg rolls in the US?

As mentioned, wrong, they're not the same. Egg rolls are rare-ish here (UK) but they do pop up sometimes, try one and you'll see the difference.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Parsnip and carrot mash is legit

You know what's also good? A swede (rutabaga for colonials), especially in a Cornish pasty

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

To be fair, I don't even have a deep fat fryer per se. I used to use a big wok, these days I use my soup pot. Less fiddly though yeah oil disposal is still an annoyance.

Oh yeah make yourself some Chicken 65 and onion bhajis and maybe samosas. s'legit and that way you get good use out of the oil, even if your dinner that night is going to explode your every artery.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Scientastic posted:

What you’re talking about is dripping, and it is great. Really good for roast potatoes, but can be used in almost any application where you would use lard.

I render fat nearly every time we have a big joint of meat, and I just keep it in a tub in the fridge and break it out whenever I need to shallow fry anything, including onions for sauces.

In Britain, you can just go out and buy beef dripping at any decent sized supermarket :britain: sits in blocks next to the lard which is next to the butter. In the US I remember having to go hunt down 'manteca' in the ethnic aisle to get lard and beef dripping was not a thing at all.

But yeah, it's v good for roasties.

Edit: and yes, this is different from suet, which is usually this stuff https://www.atora.co.uk/ and available in the baking aisle at room temperature.

Edit edit: my Cornish pasty shortcrust recipe is about 50% butter, 50% lard, maybe slightly heavier on the lard (more lard == more flaky, more butter == more taste). I've never heard of using suet to make shortcrust but I guess I could see it? :shobon:

feedmegin fucked around with this message at 11:30 on Jul 25, 2021

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Scientastic posted:

This made me a bit sad. I live in London/Surrey (depending on who you talk to), and we barbecue all the time in summer: no firefighters, only tinder and twigs that I get the kids to gather.

I should hope not or you're having a very bad day!

I am a London-doer and bbq fairly regularly, granted I'm not veggie. Does take a bit of fortitude sometimes, is all. And yes, getting a chimney starter changed my life.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Pollyanna posted:

EDIT: Any other ideas on how to get 35oz of lemon juice per week are also appreciated. :v:

Don't know about the US but here you can get lemon juice intended for cocktails -

https://www.funkincocktails.co.uk/pure-pour-lemon-juice/

Might be worth a try if you can find similar?

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Chard posted:

the word tortilla refers to two completely different foods depending on who you ask, its not a value judgement just geography and language

It's basically like biscuit and biscuit, or chip and chip.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

mystes posted:

Unfortunately a lot of Airbnb's have like garbage $1 knife shaped objects that are so ridiculously soft that even if you sharpen them they'll be dull again after cutting a couple of tomatoes or something.

The very first present I ever bought my now wife was a pair of kitchen knives because the ones she had (postgrad student) made me so so sad. If you tap a knife it should not go boioioioing.

She complained that was unromantic, but hey, seems to have worked out :shobon:

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Mister Facetious posted:

"To Cook Humans"

'To Serve Man' surely

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

The Midniter posted:

Just throwing this out there - while "spooky" is a common adjective around the Halloween season, "spooks" is not commonly used as a noun when referring to ghosts, the supernatural, etc. Its most common usage in my experience is as a racial epithet, and while I know that wouldn't be the case/intent if this subforum was entitled Spooks with Sporks, it just doesn't sit really well with me.

I mean, while I'm absolutely fine with not using this, I do think this is rather regional and/or incredibly old fashioned. It absolutely isn't a racial epithet in the UK and I never once heard it used that way when I lived in Michigan or New Jersey either. CIA, yes, sure.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

The Maestro posted:

Oh well then if you never heard the racial epithet used then it must not be one

I don't believe I said anything like that. I said it was regional.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

BrianBoitano posted:

Just spent $12 / lb on bone-in skin-on chicken thighs at a farmers market because I'm too awkward to say no thank you after they've already rung it up :negative:

So that's why they don't post the prices. Well now I know to ask.

Jesus. That's equivalent to maybe £18/kilo over here looks like. Not organic fancy farmers market ones, but regular ones from the local supermarket are exactly 1/10th that.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Eat This Glob posted:

Or the UK toast sandwich? (A piece of toast between two untoasted pieces - a real thing if QI can be trusted?)

Not actually a thing real people eat, no.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Scientastic posted:

Speak for yourself, I’ve had a toast sandwich, it’s alright

I refuse to believe you exist. Or if you do you're, like, French or something :colbert:

Hmm might actually try that onion cutting thing. Took me the longest time to even pick up the trick of slicing it in half first so it'll rest flat on the chopping board :negative:

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Leraika posted:

Seconding soup

Also works for making mashed potatoes. Which is tbf sort of potato soup adjacent.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Hawkperson posted:

Hmm, might be. I assure you I enjoy fennel though, at least the bulbs. Roasted quarters of em with other root veggies is the poo poo

Do you also get this effect from like sweet italian sausages bought from the store? Because if so yes it's going to be fennel.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

therattle posted:

I admit it, without shame.

I have sugar. 2. I am slightly ashamed about that. In the afternoon I often have rusks dipped in my tea, like I grew up with in S Africa. Many South African traditions are bad but that one is not.

Dipping biccies in your tea is also a British thing you know. Though I'd probably go with a digestive, rusks are infant food to me.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Look. People always think :britain: is fussy about tea drinking culture, and in some ways I guess we are (NOT Lipton's ta) - but. Put teabag in cup. Pour over boiling water. Stir with spoon til rusty brown, maybe a minute. Remove teabag. Add milk and sugar to taste. S'easy.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

veni veni veni posted:

From what I read (I'm no expert though) sushi grade fish is frozen right after being caught to kill off any parasites, the distinction is mostly when it's frozen. Either way the most dangerous stuff is taken care of by freezing so as far as I can tell taste is going to be the main issue.

Not sure about the US but it is basically a legal requirement over here in the UK (probably also the EU as a whole?) that any and all fish gets frozen right quick to kill off any parasites.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

VelociBacon posted:

I feel like I've been fighting this fight for such a long time. You can eat anything at any point in the day who cares just eat what you want!

This one we can blame on Mr. Kellogg. Before he came along with his blasted cereal (intended to make sure you don't become horny, by the way) Western breakfasts also looked a lot different. Ham and eggs was pretty typical iirc.

(the Full English is a continuation of this tradition, though as far as I'm aware its current form only goes back to the 1920s or so)

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

The freedom of grabbing the ginger from the fridge

Grabbing raw ginger from the where now?

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

MarsPearl posted:

Funnily enough, the British diet during WW2 was probably the healthiest it's ever been. The dig for victory campaign was a godsend to working class nutrition at the time.

Worth bearing in mind the black market was a lot more pervasive than either propaganda back then or popular memory would have you believe, of course.... (if you could afford it)

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

VelociBacon posted:

I'm more triggered by people calling non-spaghetti pasta "spaghetti" than I ever will be by inclusion or exclusion of whatever ingredients in Italian food on a British news site. I'm sure Hawaiian spaghetti makes a better meal than coal rubbed on bread or whatever they were planning to have.

Thatcher closed all our coal mines in the 80s. It's just bread now. With dripping if you're lucky.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

w4ddl3d33 posted:

any actual chefs in here? i'm hoping to interview for an irl position tomorrow BUT all my experience is with recipe development and writing my cooking column and basically i have no experience cooking for other people so i'm making GBS threads myself

Surprised noone pointed you at https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3827217 yet

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Walla posted:

Anyone know anything about apples?

I'm not the biggest fan of them, but I usually have 1 with my lunch every day for the fiber and vitamins and it keeps me away from candy. But I don't like Red Delicious or Granny Smith, and Honeycrisp are starting to be too sweet. I want something tart but not bitter, preferably something I can find at most American supermarkets.

I've tried Pink Lady and Fuji, and they're ok. I really want something as tart as a cranberry but I'm not sure if that exists, and I'm on the wrong coast for fresh cranberries to be common.

If you were in Britain I'd suggest looking for cooking apples; they're 'cooking' precisely because they're too tart for most people to enjoy just eating, but I enjoy them. Google suggests the actual variety most commonly grown is 'Bramley's Seedling' but I wouldn't begin to know where to find them in the US.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Democratic Pirate posted:

What’s your favorite burner on your stove, and why is it the front right burner?

Centre burner (I have a mildly fancy 5 hob gas setup, but I basically only normally use the middle, largest one)

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Mintymenman posted:

Stuffed zucchini is really hard to get right.

Over here in the UK we call giant zucchinis marrows, they're pretty traditional and mum would often do us roasted stuffed ones, so googling for recipes around that might be helpful. You can either scoop out the whole marrow (I take the cap off and use a long spoon to empty it out) or slice it into inch or two thick rings and stuff those with mince/rice. https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/stuffed-marrow-bake for example.

feedmegin fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Feb 1, 2023

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

w4ddl3d33 posted:

coronation chicken and jubilee chicken are two very distinctly british dishes with a noticeable anglo-indian influence that i don't think i've ever seen outside of the uk, and i wish they were more widely popular because they're yummy and i want somebody to come up with a genuinely good vegan recipe for them

I'm British and I don't believe I've seen jubilee chicken anywhere ever, first I ever heard of it was the new one they came up with for the Queen a few years back. Coronation chicken is absolutely everywhere including supermarket sandwich fillers, but is also rather different from the original recipe afaik. Not vegan myself, but I know vegan mayo exists - does it not work in this context?

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

VelociBacon posted:

Cool, thanks to both of you. I had no idea that tikka masala was invented in the UK, bizarre. I nearly died from one in Iceland which was to this day the hottest food I've ever eaten.

Hmm are you sure that was chicken tikka masala? It's usually the mildest thing on the menu here which is one reason it's so popular. It's based on chicken tikka (which is an actual real Indian thing) but with a mild tomato-cream sauce (historically based on Heinz tomato soup, if I remember the lore correctly) because lord forgive anyone British in the 50s not have gravy on everything.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

mystes posted:

This is a really weird thing to say in the context of Indian food but maybe you're using gravy in a different meaning from the Indian one?

I am using gravy in the context of 1950s-era white British people, which is 'why is this dry (but delicious) chicken not smothered in some kind of sauce like my Sunday roast'. So, no, definitely not the Indian sense that's sort of the point ;)

feedmegin fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Feb 11, 2023

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Mister Facetious posted:

i mean they're French AOC names that America actually respects. Whether the US makes an equivalent version, i can't say.

There's some very cheap American 'champagne' brands that got grandfathered in. Stuff like André or Cook's.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Guildenstern Mother posted:

edit: also turnips, but I can prob just roast those, unless someone wants to superman in here with the most amazing turnip recipe that's going to change how I look at turnips.

You can add some (in smallish quantities) to a Cornish pasty in place of the swede.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

Also if it's sad Anglo midevil or anywhere else

Not really anglo specific :shrug: Germanic food in general is cooked plainly, but, crucially, has spicy condiments (mustard, horseradish) on the side.

I remember living in the US and having some US guy make a crack at me about British food while slathering my Colman's mustard on his hotdog like it was French's. I chose not to warn him.

Edit: bean adjacency - Cicero, the Roman orator, was literally named after the chickpea (cicer). Fava beans have been found in Europe clear back to the Paleolithic, it's one of the first things we learned how to grow.

feedmegin fucked around with this message at 12:50 on Apr 10, 2023

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

SubG posted:

"People" here meaning "only the absolutely most monstrously wealthy". Cooking manuals like The Forme of Cury and Le Viandier reflect the dining habits, sometimes aspirationally, of literal kings. The overwhelming majority of people did not eat that way. Saying that people have a misconception that mediaeval food was bland because of all the spices in Le Viandier is like saying it's a misconception that 21st Century Americans like fast food because billionaires prefer to eat at Michelin-starred restaurants.

Again - mustard and horseradish are by no means the exclusive province of royalty. Pretty much anyone can grow that in their back garden, and did. Same for herbs like ~sings~ 'parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme'.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

SubG posted:

Well, the song certainly doesn't attest to anything: it's a 19th Century English modification to an older ballad. Parsley is probably originally Sardinian and was known through most of Continental Europe by late antiquity, but isn't known to have been cultivated in the British Isles before the 16th Century. Rosemary isn't attested to in England until the outset of the Hundred Years' War (Philippa of Hainault, wife of Edward III, received cuttings from her mother Joan of Valois in 1338). And so on.

But yeah. It's certainly plausible that people outside the clergy and gentry would have made use of whatever happened to be locally available to season their pottage. But I don't know of any direct documentary evidence to either support to refute the idea, and mediaeval culinary manuals (or 19th Century popular songs) aren't good sources for discussing the nature of the diet of mediaeval commoners.

Well, firstly what do you mean 'known to have been'? People who write don't generally write about peasants, let alone what they grow, because they don't care, so you aren't going to see recipes, but 'petersilie' or similar appears to be Anglo-Saxon - https://www.etymologynerd.com/blog/rock-celery - and why would you have a word for it if you don't grow it?

Secondly, 'plausible' is err rather under egging it. Why would you default to assuming people don't use their available herbs and instead subsist on unflavoured gruel? Humans are humans, we like flavour. Again, no, you won't see this in the written sources because peasants don't write.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

veni veni veni posted:

Anyone got tips, tricks, recipes for pickling they want to share? I've never pickled anything which seems crazy cause I loved pickled anything.

I do British-style pickled onions for Christmas every year (also other times) and they're pretty easy. Note: spicy.

Peel small onions (you can get specifically pickling onions here but you don't want larger than an inch - shallots also work). Put them in a colander, pour salt on them (pickling salt if you're American, ie without iodine, but in the UK it's just 'salt') and leave overnight. This is to dehydrate the onions so they pick up the vinegar and stay crispy, afaik.

Next day, boil some vinegar (malt is traditional, apple cider is a lot cheaper in the US and works as well) with pickling spices (usually you can find it as such, but like cloves, cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, that sort of thing) and some small hot chilis. I assume the idea here is just to make sure everything's reasonably sterile, though it's not like pure vinegar is a germ friendly environment.

Let it cool, put onions in reasonably-sterilised Bell jars (brush the salt off), pour on the cooled vinegar, seal it up and let it sit in a cool dark place for at least two weeks. Refrigerate once opened. Really good with a strong cheddar.

feedmegin fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Sep 15, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

therattle posted:

I’d rather die.

I am pretty sure the American prejudice against fruit cake is down to Prohibition. That poo poo should be soaked over months with some form of strong spirits (whisky, brandy, rum) which a) is why it keeps and b) why it doesn't taste like rear end.