Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Prime rib is the dish you can make with a rib roast.

Sous vide is fine if it's like 2 bones or smaller, but reverse sear is just fine.

Edit: here's the reverse seared one I did last week

It was Kenji's guidelines. Salt and on the rack the night before, roasted as low as my oven could get until it hit 130, rested for a half hour and then in the oven at 500F for like 6 minutes.

Casu Marzu fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Dec 13, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

nwin posted:

Think the store will have one that’s like 6 pounds? It’s only going to be three of us.

Stores that have an actual meat counter can usually cut you whatever size you want, just gotta ask.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

If it's big enough do egg yolk ravioli

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Last Celebration posted:

Heya thread, are there any good suggestions for low carb breakfast foods? My brother wants to get together once a month for breakfast (homemade for now cause, you know) and he’s been doing a low carb diet so I’m kinda struggling to think of much that isn’t just, like fruit salad or maybe quiche?

Pound of bacon on a plate

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Microplanes are trash for softer cheeses like mozzarella.

I have a oxo box grater and it does the job just fine for carrots and mozzarella

Edit: for large amounts I use the shredding tool on my food processor

Casu Marzu fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Dec 31, 2020

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

CommonShore posted:

Is it my imagination or is souffle really really loving easy, and one of those recipes where everyone complicates the ever living poo poo out of it?

Yep.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Rolo posted:

May I please just vent like a crazy person for a minute about how annoying it is sometimes to find basic numbers on google?

I just wanted to know a temperature for safe sous vide chicken breast and got so many paragraphs about "coming in from a crisp fall day" and "how my grandma used to eat food before her mind finally went."

You really should be prepared for that with any The Food Lab article. Kenji has never given a short straight answer to anything in his life. You'll get 15 paragraphs on the what the why and the many different hows that you could do for a given subject. Especially with things like sousvide cooking.

Edit: also what Anne Whateley said.

It's a valid complaint about a lot of things in the cooking world, but for things like sous vide cooking or canning or curing, you really should not trust the first random quick answer you get off Google. None of what you quoted was the bullshit "on a fall day" or "my grandma's favorite" or "On 9/11 I was"

Casu Marzu fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Jan 3, 2021

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Guildenstern Mother posted:

Does she call you hubby?

I'm sure she's a lovely lady

More likely her DH but it will be STBXH after he tells his DW she's wrong and whatever other insane creations spawn from relationship groups

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

idk if that would fit in my pipe

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Vargo posted:

I understand and even appreciate the long stories about the family recipe from an ownership standpoint, my biggest issue with these recipe sites is that between the long stories, pop-ups, long white gaps where ads should load but don't, and ads that load late so scrolling gets messed up, these sites are absolutely hell to use on mobile, which is what you're most likely using unless you drag your laptop to the kitchen, filled with dust and liquids.

I have a cheap chromebook just for use in the kitchen. I was using my phone for ages and this is such a quality of life improvement.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

The only thing we use our instapot for is making yogurt.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Do you have brandy? A fortified wine like sherry or port or something is nice too.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

I used to reply in earnest, now I make sure to check who is posting first.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

The pasta extruder is a pain in the rear end. It feeds super slowly and you gotta stop and let it cool down quite often otherwise the dough gets all gummy and stuck in the screw. It was fine as a present, but I would never drop the cash on this.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

lol

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Bread I'm currently eating, bread I am going to eat in the future, bread that I may eat in the future

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Our plan is to eat some smash burgers and fried cheese curds and pass out on the couch watching something terrible.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Steve Yun posted:

Isn't the hominy canned corn they sell in the US usually the large white corn like that?

Also, Corn Nuts

The lye soak is what makes hominy kernels expand to that size iirc

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

A local Hmong grocery posted that they got these fruits in, and apparently it's very popular with Hmong/Lao people.

Apparently it's txiv kub nyuj, or cow/bull horn fruit. They're kind of fascinating. The texture reminds me of unripe mango, or maybe a very crisp apple or celery without the strings. The flavor is reminiscent of granny smith apple and rhubarb, with a very dry, astringent finish.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

lol yeah that really skeeved me out at first too

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Casu Marzu posted:

A local Hmong grocery posted that they got these fruits in, and apparently it's very popular with Hmong/Lao people.

Apparently it's txiv kub nyuj, or cow/bull horn fruit. They're kind of fascinating. The texture reminds me of unripe mango, or maybe a very crisp apple or celery without the strings. The flavor is reminiscent of granny smith apple and rhubarb, with a very dry, astringent finish.

After thinking on it and eating another one for breakfast, they definitely remind me of a super underripe crabapple in flavor and texture.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

therattle posted:

Mmm, sounds great. Are you sure it was ripe?

I'm not sure if they ripen further, but the lady selling em said they are ready to eat, and the videos I've seen of ppl eating em, it looks pretty much the same as what I have.

It makes sense to me that its popular, a lot of Hmong dishes are to the extremes of flavor, there's gonna be dips and dishes that are insanely sour, or salty, or blow your rear end off spicy, and they're meant to be eaten in small amounts with piles of bland, like sticky rice and steamed or fresh veg.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

I highly recommend it if you ever find any. It's a great amalgamation of Lao/Cambodian/Viet/Thai foods

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Oh hey I am v proud to be part inspiration for the thread title change

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

:chloe:

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Chili without beans is just texmex sloppy joe filling

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Arkhamina posted:

Food chat: what's your favorite camping food? I tend to camp heavy, with cast iron dutch oven that I love to do either beef stew or sausage and beans in. Just got a lighter weight Stanley cookset. I got a book on making dehydrated camp meals, and want to try stews utilizing dried meat and veg. Any excuse to poke a fire while drinking box wine from a tin cup...

For car camping and having a cooler around, I love doing foil packets of veg/taters/meat, as well as tossing a huge stack of tortillas and eggs in and having breakfast burritos and pb wraps all day.

For actual backpacking, I mainly survive on tortillas, peanut butter, instant oatmeal, a flask of bourbon, and some sort of sugary candy like skittles or m&ms. Last fall I found some instant bibimbap rations online, and that was pretty fuckin delicious after a long day of hiking. Some of the freeze dried brands are getting to be pretty edible, esp if you pack a bottle of hot sauce along with.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLbgO0q6n4U

:lol: I love it

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

VelociBacon posted:

I straight up don't buy messy food if I'm going to be eating it with my hands not at home so to me this looks ridiculous, is this something people would actually want?

From the Awful Kickstarter thread in PYF:

AceOfFlames posted:

I...kinda want this.

There's at least one person

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

BrianBoitano posted:

I'm not going to check if it falls within my company's White Elephant max cost of $20 limit, because I already know it doesn't

$40 I think

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

high meat is the real manly man's diet

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

I'm a p big fan of impossible meat. It doesn't scratch the same itch as a standard classic burger w/ like onion, pickle, ketchup, mustard or whatev. It has a not-meaty enough flavor to be noticeable. But, if I want something stronger like a mushroom swiss or a pile of burg sauce or something, impossible has been great. The texture is spot on and when paired with other strong flavors, it's a good enough meat substitute for me.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

:snoop:

also that gif is amazin

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Needs peas

looks tasty af

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

The Sandwich Scandal at the Heart of the World’s Greatest Golfing Event

:lol: I love people being super petty over recipes

quote:

The greatest event in sports history is missing a vital recipe: that of its original pimento cheese sandwich.

The problem began more than 20 years ago, when the Masters chose not to renew the contract for the tournament’s longtime pimento cheese vendor, Nick Rangos. Afterward, the caterer refused to share his private recipe, taking its secret to his grave in 2015. Although Ted Godfrey, Rangos’s replacement, worked tirelessly to approximate the original masterpiece, he also withheld his recipe after the Masters replaced him with in-house catering in 2013.

According to Godfrey, his quest to recreate Rangos’s original took months. “I can’t tell you how many 35-dollar cases of cheese we’d been through,” he told ESPN. After countless attempts failed to satisfy the concessions committee, a tournament worker stepped forward with a frozen batch of Rangos’s original pimento spread.

Then in 2013, the Masters changed course a third time, taking all concessions in-house—again, for reasons we cannot confirm. And again, the embittered pimento czar withheld the recipe from the Masters.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

If you let the poolish go long enough you'll get a funky smell :v:

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

That photo brings me back to looking at photos from a game camera set up on a carcass or gut pile

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

VelociBacon posted:

In Diablo 2 you'd click on it and some bones would get tossed up and then fall to the side.

:black101:

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

My girlfriend has never had wagyu so I was thinking about ordering an A5 ribeye so she could experience it. What would be the ideal way to prepare it? Just searing it off as a whole ribeye seems unexciting. I’ve seen videos where they cut it into smaller pieces and sear those on all sides. Is that the way to go? Just S&P? Salt and togarashi? Soy sauce while searing? If I do this I’d rather not gently caress it up.

The fancy teppanyaki style stuff is a pretty good way to serve wagyu.

Example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WxiYbLw55cE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/MinorGlumKodiakbear-mobile.mp4