Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH
This year instead of feeding 29 I’m cooking for 4, so I said screw it, I’ll smoke a pork loin. Turkey will happen in December when it’s cheap again and I can feed an army with leftovers. Pics to follow. Stay safe, turkey goons (and the rest of you jerks as well).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Cheese Thief posted:

I've heard of Door Dash, I put it on my phone and will give it a try next time.

My truck is in the shop. Would it be weird to get an uber to the grocery store, and upon my return home put a lot of grocery bags in the back of the car? How do people without vehicles get groceries

Enough shitposting tell me about how the Grandmother works as a stand-alone, I hear it’s great as a filter bank/spring reverb module

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

therattle posted:

I love port. I have some very nice port which I have been wanting to drink for years but haven't had an opportunity - I don't believe it'll keep once opened. I recently bought one of those new-fangled air-excluding decanters which preserves wine, and opened a bottle of Madeira recently that I had also been keeping for ages (same reason). I'd never had Madeira before; it's delicious. And it seems to have kept very well in the decanter. I reckon if it worked for the Madeira it'll work for port, so port ho!

Port really is incredible. One night in a wine class I was taking years back we had a banker taking the class alongside the usual restaurant managers and other rising professionals. He liked to read the syllabus ahead of time and supplement the week’s tastings with vintages from his own cellar.

The week we did port, he really outdid himself and offered up a bottle from 1863. This wine predated the American Civil War, the cork was a mess, and once we let it strain out and open up, the wine was delicious. The effects of fortification over a hundred and fifty years kept it bright and lively, and it was surreal to taste a bit of history. Madeira is equally cool, since it gets cooked and spoiled before the bottle even opens, so it’ll also hold for generations. I inherited a well stocked Madeira cabinet once as an incoming bar manager, and slowly drawing it down on comps and outright buying some bottles for my personal use at cost was a treat, since a former bar manager had a thing for late 70s vintages.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Working through a hunk of white truffle isn’t easy for two, let alone once the old lady leaves for Xmas a few days early. Rice? Oil? How can I stretch this beyond eating every pasta dish ever (not mad at that thought but my dr might be)? Done salt for black truffles before but I know the white are much more delicate.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Drink and Fight posted:

Just shove it in your bottom lip and work it for a few hours.

I had a quart container of Manhattan in the fridge on the same principle but I’m not wild about the results.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Oh man, Anova has brought a combi oven to the market for about 600: https://anovaculinary.com/anova-pre...QcaAlbqEALw_wcB

I’m in no need for more kitchen gear in the apartment but something makes me feel like this could be a high quality cabin fixture...

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Scientastic posted:

The reason for this is because you cannot legally copyright a recipe.

A cookbook sells on the basis of the reputation of the author, or the quality of the pictures, or the type of person owning the book suggests you are, and you make money from people buying your book.

How do you make money by publishing a basic recipe on your website that is replicated a million times elsewhere? You can’t: so you have to fill your webpage with a load of stuff that can be copyrighted, so that you have some form of intellectual property surrounding the recipe.

Some websites, like seriouseats and the Guardian, do a great job of actually providing some useful content and analysis around the recipe itself. Most go the much easier route of telling a trite story about how you enjoyed eating this dish in a Parisienne bistro during your gap year or when your parents paid for you to tour Italy eating salami.

I also happen to like food writing as a genre, so the short answer is: buy the drat book and use the reference tables up front.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Nifty, but it’s more decoration than actual structural bits, no?

Also anybody ever smoke boudin blanc? I have about half a pound leftover from last Xmas and the lady doesn’t play with any blood sausage that isn’t planning our wedding.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

CommonShore posted:

the cool thing is that your hockey puck could just be rolled out and cut again.

My method for making home-made pasta is

3:2 flour to egg by weight, extra yolks if i have em
throw that into the robo coupe
dump that onto the counter, knead it up until it's all one ball
throw that into the fridge for a while
roll it through the pasta machine on 0, refolding it and rotating it, until it has the right texture (about 5-6 times)
roll it thin and cut it.

Re: pasta chat. I am very torn between getting a small game vest for hunting this year or the kitchen aid pasta extruded so I can have shapes in addition to my regular pasta styles. anybody have experience with the device (pasta machine not vest)?

E: I’m also very much interested in using it for non-egg pasta, including gluten-free. Does the machine have enough pressure to extrude semolina/gf mix or do we have to go with the big hog machines I used to cop some from in restaurants?

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Scientastic posted:

I have always been under the impression that there are some vegetables that you shouldn’t use for stock, because of sulphurous compounds ruining your stock, and asparagus and broccoli are two of the main offenders. Have I been misinformed?

I taught my beloved the dark art of stock making years ago, and one time she added a whole mess of Brussels and we termed the resulting broth “fart juice”, so

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Hawkperson posted:

I spent a while checking out the vitamix offerings - are the newer models worth it or should I just save up for the basic workhorse?

Future MiL sent up her 750 and I’ll never go back, dang. I used to have a bar boss and this thing smokes it on the regular, minus the weird pulse programming the BB had for frozen drinks.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Whirled Peas 2: now accepting refugees from other craft forums.

For the citrus trees, there’s always citrus Twitter. It’s a real and terrifying thing.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Food grade chemical suppliers?

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Arkhamina posted:

Hah, I like the vanilla reference. I keep big stocks of Penzeys smoked, half sharp, and normal. Eggs without a good dusting taste weird now.

On a random note, I really miss cooking for people beyond my two person household. I used to host games every weekend, and cook for 12-15 people. Now I cook once in a while for a local charity, but everything is takeout containers, in a fridge, and I never see the people eat. I didn't realize how much I enjoyed feeding friends. Just not the same when you are not across the table.

My friends going to get stuffed like fois gras geese when they can come over again.

This, a dozen times. Worse now that my fiancée is a time zone away caring for her moms and I am cooking for “who?” I did make a nice send off meal for her Monday night: roast chicken with steamed rosemary potatoes (dressed in the pan sauce), roast cauliflower with paprika and thyme, and braised leeks. Really a fun winter meal, a great reminder to pay the $20 for the best chicken you can get (she was still raving about the dinner the next morning!) and get multiple meals from a single bird. Now that I’m cooking for myself, of course, it’s time for, uh, tiny pot pies? Salads? Hummus and scotch for dinner? Who are we kidding. Breakfast.

Welcome back, Hät.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

feedmegin posted:

NGL I could see that working.

I've already told my East London homies when this poo poo is over im holding a fuckoff massive bbq at mine. Might even get a new grill/smoker for superior pulled pork purposes.

Hell let me know and I’ll hop across the pond. I know I should be grateful for the chance to experience more of the great Union of American states but I am real ready to get the hell out of this dumpster fire for a few weeks.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

dino. posted:

Awww! That’s too sweet of you. Couple of friends unearthed their copy of the book, and made a food. It was very nice to see.

It’s too cold to go outside, you say?

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Eat This Glob posted:

when pizza's on a bagel, you can pizza any time :colbert:

I am this reference’s demographic and I wanted you to know I appreciate you. But not those tiny pepperoni cubes. They were always wrong.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Ordered the Addo sofrito for a colleague because we all need motivations to cook more when it’s 17” of snow outside. Will update with her impressions. Their new blue tape spice idea looks rad as heck for anyone who isn’t getting regular bags from Penny or Kalyustan’s.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Scientastic posted:

I find cooked avocado completely nauseating, and I can’t bear it. Raw, it’s lovely, but something about the texture really puts me off when it’s hot.

I find your lack of soap de mayas confusing.

In other news I had a chicken parm yesterday that cured me of several days of depression from being snowed in alone. Magic.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

VelociBacon posted:

This is interesting to me because I never make a shopping list and always just see what looks good or is on sale etc when I'm there. I assumed most people do the same but maybe I'm in the irresponsible minority.

Nah, this is also my style and the next few days of quarantine is gonna be a challenge because I’ll have to pre-plan meals for grocery delivery if I don’t want to eat straight takeout for 3-4 days.

Totally getting lo mein as soon as I get home tho.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

um excuse me posted:

I came across the Netflix (?) adaptation of Fat, Salt Acid, Heat and saw she was saying there are different salts with different saltinesses, does anyone have enough experience to rate the saltiness of different brands? Or know of a place where they are rated? I always use Morton Iodized because it's seemingly the widest available in my area.

Edit: mild finishing salt sounds like something I need in my life. Also I need something dead sea salty for use in boiling pasta.

How, uh, granular do you want to get with your answer?

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Has anyone got any good experiences or lookouts in brewing ginger beer at home? I would ask the home brew thread but it’s a decade old and almost a thousand pages long and while I’m sure it’s been answered by now; lol, gently caress that.

I have fermentation lids with air locks on them so I should just be able to combine water, ginger, sugar, and flavoring spices and let it do it’s thing until about 5% abv with ambient yeast, no? Anyone have experience arresting fermentation below 1%?

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Scientastic posted:

Popcorn is actually bad, no matter how good the seasoning

GO BACK TO HELL YOU DEVIL

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Arkhamina posted:

Oh, I have to try making Arepas. There is a local restaurant that does them, but it's on the opposite side of town, and tends to have pretty long waits for food if you don't plan ahead.

One lazy/cheap hiking food I like is dressed up instant mashed potatoes. You can put all sorts of things in them, and they are basically done as soon as you add water. Hard cheese that doesn't need cold, sliced spam, instant onions, dehydrated mushrooms... Get your carb on.

Oh lord, I used to do 3+ weeks in the backcountry and I will never forget the time we mixed up powdered mash for powdered milk and got a very rude awakening after heating the pot.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

YES MAAM.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Ethical consumption of meat is why I own guns. That, and sporting clays.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Eat This Glob posted:

in weird purchases news of my own, I got drunk last night and ordered $70 worth of hot sauce (hat to hit that free shipping threshold :v:)

If this is wrong I don’t want to be right.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

hbag posted:

man
i really feel like making some homemade fuckinnnnn chips
like UK chips not US chips (although those are pretty good homemade too)

cut up some potatoes, throw them in the fryer, get a shitload of salt and vinegar on those fuckers
top shelf poo poo

might have a burger too because why not, make the patty myself

Once I learned the beauty of putting vinegar on chips I graduated to hot sauce, come with us if you want to live.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Mindhive: I bought some beautiful French radishes at the market yesterday, planning to dip them in butter for brunch. Overnight the fridge went nuts and the radishes froze. The greens are a wash, and the tubers are kinda squishy instead of crisp. What do I do with squishy radishes? Smoke them? Braise them?

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

BrianBoitano posted:

I guess awkward guilt is strong not just with me but with my wife too. Today she was at a hair salon. Stylist asked how short, she said "curls to my shoulder".

The stylist cut it, then STRAIGHTENED IT without asking. It is now shoulder length but only when straight, meaning curls would definitely not reach shoulder.

She didn't notice until two locks were straightened and just went with it. Like "Okay I guess I'll just change my entire style" because pointing out someone's mistake is awk. She's never had straight hair before and doesn't own a curler to fix it :shrug:

Buddy, this is an Arby’s.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

There is a place down in soho called the French cheese board. It is subsidized by the French Trade Ministry.

It’s goddamn perfect. Basically AOC cheeses at or near cost.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

therattle posted:

Tell me more! Soho London?

Lol do you even trade with the EU bro

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

signalnoise posted:

Oh my god, I just realized something. I have a cheese plane already and I know what the problem I have with it is. It's the same problem that comes up with woodworking planes. I need a planing stop.

For anyone unfamiliar with basic woodworking stuff, as I was, when you use a plane you gotta keep the wood steady so you generally use a vise, but the other option is to back the wood up against something that can hold the wood in place either by pressing against it or by having teeth bite into the end of it. That bit of raised material that holds the wood steady so you can shave it with a bench plane is called a planing stop. The whole problem I have with cheese planes is that the cheese is always unsteady. All I have to do is put whatever I'm slicing down on the counter pressed up against something that is low but stable, and then I can use my plane without it wobbling all over the drat place and tearing the cheese (or butter or whatever) apart

Thanks for helping me through this thought process everyone

gently caress me ive been using my truffle plane like a mandolin and I can’t believe, oh how stupids.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

I finally used up a $50 gift card I got for Xmas a few years ago on five pounds of Rancho Gordon beans. Let’s hope this makes good on my “reducing meat intake except for good stuff” angle I’ve been working on. I recently went to Kalustiyana for black beans that I made so nice I got angry texts from the friend who was eating them post surgery (she wanted the soup as a bath sized portion, which is medically questionable)

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

pr0k posted:

Virginia goons - eat this fuckin cheese

https://www.meadowcreekdairy.com/product-page/appalachian

Holy loving poo poo it is good.

For Chanukah this year, my girlfriends mother sent me home with a wheel of cheese made by Virginia nuns, Gouda style. It is so good I traded a quarter wheel for a pair of Covid tests. Okay, so I got a cold and my best friend dropped two off and I thanked him with a quarter wheel. Whatever. The cheese is dope. If you want to order some, you have to mail in an order, or go to Charlottesville.

https://www.olamonastery.org

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

I just spent two weeks or so in exurban Kentucky where there was a local farm stand that stocked summer tomatoes, fresh eggs, and various pickles from IA Amish country…and now I have to go face the winter farmer’s market alone, just me and an uncaring god.

Wish me luck.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I grew up thinking that parsley was strictly a garnish. That people bought it to place on the plate and then throw away after the meal. Blew my mind the first time I saw a recipe that included it as an ingredient.

Before 2012, it is supposed that Pizza Hut was the largest purchaser of Kale in the US- as the ruffles around their salad bar. https://www.npr.org/2015/03/19/393823329/the-best-piece-of-trivia-you-learned-this-week-pizza-hut-edition for the fact-checking on it, but it’s pretty great.

On another subject; is anyone familiar with La Pavoni single boiler manual espresso machines? Is there somewhere on the forums that contain just the right kind of dork to help me troubleshoot one?

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

It is a once in a generation relief to finally know what you’d do, rather than having to guess through song.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Re:travel chat

I am splitting my time between NYC and Louisville because of a confluence of unemployment and love, and I have to tell you-

The flour is better down here. We bought 30# for a dollar and change a pound. And the bread I am turning out is sensational.

Happy Religious observations and/or day drinking!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Since we are doing appliance chat, I’m in search of a good rice cooker. My parents could do plenty in the kitchen, but rice was always for the rice cooker, so I’m still a little shaky on just doing it in a heavy bottom pot.

In college, my girlfriend’s roommate was moving out so she had some appliances to give away, including a rice cooker the make of which I wish I remembered because I took the #1 bus home and little Asian ladies were glaring at me like “where’d you get the nice pot from, kid?”. It served me very well for a decade and a half, but I gave it up when consolidating my house with my ex-fiancé, a move I regret (same goes for my one cup food processor, suggestions welcomed there as well).

So, I guess I’m chasing a solid state (no fuzzy logic or whatever) rice cooker that’s built to last and won’t break the bank (as my partner & I are between work for the moment). Your goony advice is solicited.