Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
I'm going to need a link to the foodlab article for proof

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Cheese Thief posted:

i used to save all my bones in a ziplock in the freezer and when the bag was full id let it sit in the crockpot for a few days then strain. Those were fun times

I'm currently trying to figure out how many chicken thigh bones it takes to make about 6 cups of stock. I think I'm just going to keep bagging them infinitely at this rate.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Its a great acid to use in place of lemon juice or vin! I don't recognize a deviled egg recipe that doesn't include a healthy shot of pickle juice.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

The Maestro posted:

neutral pickle brine

How does that work exactly?

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

My family makes this one every year for christmas and it has yet to fail. I highly recommend putting a sign on the oven saying DO NOT OPEN if you use this one.

https://www.pauladeen.com/recipe/foolproof-standing-rib-roast/

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

nwin posted:

Think the store will have one that’s like 6 pounds? It’s only going to be three of us.

I'd make sure to order it ahead of at all possible. Most places are happy to do this and some require it near the holidays.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

I didn't know I needed eggs bene speedruns in my life, thank you for sharing.

In other news I'm workshopping a pork stew with cranberries and parsnips(?). Some white wine and sage and maybe a little bacon? I'm hearing talk that cranberries and parsnips would be a terrible match but I thought I'd ask you fine folks.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Instant pot is the only way I will do boiled eggs these days because they slide right out of the shell. It's such a small thing but I can't go back. Make stock. Make stock all the time and marvel at it's clarity. Also make pulled pork/cartinas Serious Eats has a great beef stew recipe that I mostly use for timing reasons for taking out the flavoring veg and adding in the veg you don't want to turn to mush. SE also has an amazing chili verde with either chicken or pork I highly recommend.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Hawkperson posted:

What's your boiled eggs timing for the Instant Pot? I did some googling and found like 1000000 different opinions on it and it frightened me out of trying it

5 min, and quick release, straight into an ice bath.

Scientastic posted:

I don’t understand why you would use a special pot to take longer to boil eggs than it takes to just do them the normal way?

They slide out of the shells like a seal in a luge track, and I really hate peeling eggs.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

I got a beefy mortar and pestle for christmas and I can't stop playing with it. I'm mashing up garlic and serrano with sesame oil for ramen noodles, its out of control. What are some of the weird things you guys do with yours?

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

CommonShore posted:

Is it my imagination or is souffle really really loving easy, and one of those recipes where everyone complicates the ever living poo poo out of it?

Its this. I love making souffles and basking in the undeserved praise

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Also it helps with search ranking from what I hear. Anyway there's a great chrome extension that cuts out all the bullshit and just makes a small popup of the recipe for you.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

BrianBoitano posted:

My wife enjoys the stories, I'll go tell her she's wrong

Does she call you hubby?

I'm sure she's a lovely lady

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

I feel like hubby is more specific to food/crafting blogs than it is to r/relationships nonsense.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

I made that fish finger bhorta last night and holy poo poo it was delicious. Thank you to whoever recommended it!

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Pookah posted:

You're v. welcome! Another thing I've found out is that frozen spinach works just fine as long as you defrost+squeeze out most of the water. Fresh spinach was the only really perishable ingredient, so switching it out makes the whole thing makeable from store cupboard stuff.

I used kale just because that's what I had on hand and I think I like it better than I would spinach in this dish, holds up a bit better to all the other flavors.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Step 1: chop an onion

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

I want to make some really decadent and impressive looking dessert for valentines day. I'm a reasonably decent baker, in that I've made cheesecake successfully, but suck at bread. Any favorites you guys would suggest?

edit: no soufflés, I make them pretty often so they've lost their impressiveness

Guildenstern Mother fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Jan 31, 2021

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Thanks guys, this gives me a good bunch of ideas.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

So most of the recipes I see involving melted chocolate have you use a lipid (butter/shortening/etc). I absolutely want to avoid doing that if I'm tempering chocolate right? Or will it help somehow?

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Gotcha. End result will be (hopefully) solid, so we'll skip the shortening.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Anything swedish

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

I always check the circulars and figure out what's on sale and then from there work out about 8-9 dinners based on that + what I still have in the fridge and then make a list based on what I need for those.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

I realized last night that I can't make fun of people for believing in pro wrestling anymore when I knowingly have made the choice to believe in the Japanese Iron Chef mythos.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

my mom tried to convince me for months to register for one when I got married and I was all like "I don't bake! I just need a hand mixer" and I think I'm still mostly right but also that I'm getting increasingly less right as time goes on.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Thank you to everyone but Scientastic for reminding me I'm out of popcorn kernels.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

In case anyone was curious turning a muffin pan into a doughnut pan with sculpted tin foil does not work

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Parsnips are my favorite veg, how was it prepared, tell me more.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

You can but you've got to roast it real soft first.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

I had some kind of super whipped parsnip mash awhile ago that must have been half heavy cream by weight given how mousse like it was.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Not to distract from root veg chat, but there's no reason I couldn't use lime juice instead of lemon juice in a ginger beer recipe right?

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

God I love this forum. I googled it a few times and just got moscow mule recipes.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Well the lime juice is already in the bottle so its up to fate and yeast now.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

It might be a few pages back or god forbid trapped in the archives but I distinctly recall there being a sake thread in here at some point. If I had search I'd dig it up but I remember it having a pretty informed OP and it's not like the info had changed over time making it out of date. You might also try the japanese cooking thread.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

I think its more that serving sake warm/hot masks some of the worst qualities of cheap sake and that's generally what you're going to get in the US if you order warm sake.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

therattle posted:

Link to recipe please.

I assume its this one:
https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2017/03/easy-pressure-cooker-pork-chile-verde-recipe.html

I've never had it be sweet, but I only really use it as a guideline at best.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

I'm imagining how much garam masala you'd have to use to get it to cut through the coconut milk and I'm imagining it came out just a touch gritty. ugh.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Its fermentation week at the house of Guildenstern. Got a ginger bug going, finally getting around to making kimchi, and a poolish sitting out for the night, which I don't think is technically fermentation but its got farty yeast so I'm going to count it.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

I suppose it is, but I just associate that word with a funky smell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

There was an ad in the local free paper in Eugene, OR that I'll never forget and now all of you get to know about it too. It read something like this, only the first line is seared in my memory forever the rest is paraphrase:

Knead your candida!
All natural bakery and homebrew
Looking for donations