Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Goons With Spoons > GWS General Chat: you can pickle anything, literalyl

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carillon
May 9, 2014

What's white cardamom then? I thought it was just blanched green but I'm seeing some people say it's a different thing entirely?

Carillon
May 9, 2014

BrianBoitano posted:

I was under the impression that ground meat easily gets springy when aggressively mixed. Good for kofta or doner or similar but most like meatballs, burgers, even meatloaf more tender.

Also too not every meatball wants to be the italian/italian-american meatball which is super tender. Lionshead for instance, or even swedish tend to be beaten to form that springy mixture.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Crusty Nutsack posted:

Chris kimball sucks rear end and loudly dislikes flavor on his shows. Not to mention he’s got a real savior complex as the white bread guy mansplaining “ethnic” food to everyone

Also dude had David Brooks syndrome where he divorces his wife for his old assistant.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

VelociBacon posted:

I love the idea of applying all this process to cooking, but for things like fries... Is your end result that much better than what you could get if you went out somewhere to your *favorite* fry place for a few dollars? It feels like a lot of work and time for fries, like you'd expect to spend that much time making sous vide duck confit or something. Is this something like you grew up in Fry Country and it scratches an itch?

For me it was being stuck at home for a year+, I made a lot of fried stuff because I felt fries didn't travel well and we didn't want to go out.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

SubG posted:

I use the tip of a knife and slice but yeah. There seems to be a definite tradeoff on how clean/presentable the breast ends up versus speed. And there's no trick to making it easier/cleaner/whatever. And, you know, maybe there just isn't.

I'll be honest, using my finger has always been quick and hasn't messed with presentation. Maybe I'm missing a clear issue there, but tbh not using a knife has always resulted in something very presentable.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Meaty Ore posted:

What does one do with oversized zucchini? I had to go out of state for a funeral over the weekend and got back late Wednesday night; Thursday I looked over my garden and found four big honkers, ranging from around 1.5 to 3 lbs. Zucchini bread is a no-brainer for at least some of it of course, but does anybody here have other good uses? Are big zukes good for grilling?

I also have giant zucchini right now and have made soup with them. Sweat an onion and garlic until translucent, then add in the zucchini withe some herbs (I like thyme and oregano) for like 8 minutes? Add in stock/water and simmer for a while, then blend. Really good and simple. I've been serving it with some zatar spiced yogurt dabbed on top.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Is dripping distinct from rendered need fat?

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Any good links on the gear to buy if I'm interested in getting a set up myself? I figure it's better to get a co2 tank from a local place, but everything else I should be able to get online right?

Carillon
May 9, 2014

So you connect the tank to the regulator, then use the carbonation cap to carbonate? What's the ball lock assembly line connected to?

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Carillon posted:

Any good links on the gear to buy if I'm interested in getting a set up myself? I figure it's better to get a co2 tank from a local place, but everything else I should be able to get online right?

Further carbing questions, my tube from the regulator to the ball lock seems to leak something fierce. Any tips for tightening the screw clamps so I'm not also carbing the air around me?

Carillon
May 9, 2014

BrianBoitano posted:

A screw driver won't do? Send photos of each end if that doesn't work.
I can't seem to get them much tighter with the Philips head required. I tried to double it up but that didn't help much sadly. I hoped it was a common problem. I'll try and take some photos soon.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

For those curious, here's what it sounds like, https://photos.app.goo.gl/8jt8iNV5qr2iaSqn9

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Thanks all, I got better clamps and tightened the ball-lock connector. Nothing audibly hisses anymore though the bubble test still reveats a small leak. But I carved a bunch of water and my first cocktail which was awesome. So thanks to the thread, this was a great success story.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Carillon posted:

For those curious, here's what it sounds like, https://photos.app.goo.gl/8jt8iNV5qr2iaSqn9

So asking for myself again, I'm finding the ball lock only slowly filling the bottles, it's not a quick process to inflate the bottle. Is that likely an issue with the ball lock, the set up, user error? I don't think I have much in the way of leaks anymore. I've just heard people say the bottle pops and I don't have that effect.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

BrianBoitano posted:

His regulator looks fine (from earlier post)

Your pressure selector looks fine, you're opening the last valve fine. Best I can guess is that you're using an aeration stone but that's 100% not needed for CO2, or your dip tube is too long and sealing against the bottom of the bottle?

If that's not it, can you video your whole setup when trying to carb a bottle?

You can find the video here of me trying to carb now. I checked the hose and co2 is coming through to the regulator cap, it's just not entering into the bottle much at all as you can see.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

BrianBoitano posted:

Thank goodness for the video! Your ball lock is not seating properly. It will snap on.

Check for something misaligned or jammed into the receptacle or something.

Ok thank you! It turns out the spring or something got unseated or up to high? If you see the silver ring visible at 11 seconds you'll see what I mean. I was able to push it back down and into place and now I'm seeing behavior much more like what I expected. I really appreciate your help here man.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Scientastic posted:

Make a really big batch of carbonara with extra peas

This is amazing

Carillon
May 9, 2014

So we've bought crab to cook at home, and one thing that always gets me with cooking crab at home is the tomalley. There's all sorts of calls to save the tomalley, either for the dish itself or other uses later. But having now cooked it at home it never seems to all that usable or saveable? I never see anything super distinct. There's often what looks like it might be it in color, but it's never very solid or scoopable, it just looks like a liquid. Is there a better way to use/save the tomalley that I'm missing? Is it worth it?

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Mr. Wiggles posted:

I mean that's really not that much cream. Just using it for tea and coffee, whipping a little, making a cream soup, getting drunk on white russians - it'll be gone in a day or two.

Is that what they mean when they serve a 'cream tea'?

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Pookah posted:

In case this is not a little joke, a cream tea is basically scones with jam and clotted cream, plus tea.
People get very heated over whether you should put the cream or the jam on the scone first.

I have no opinion on this decision because either way, jam + cream is disgusting

Yes sorry it was meant as a little joke. Now let's do the threads opinions on cheese in tea!

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Waci posted:

Pretty good, but whether it's worth going for over getting some pudding or jelly in there instead depends on the mood and temperature.

Agreed, though I've seen people very put off by the idea of it being called cheese tea.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

BrianBoitano posted:

Supremed citrus is right up there on "luxury that isn't worth it to DIY but makes you feel pampered like a czar without all the deadly revolution"

By the way you can kinda automate supreming citrus using pectinase enzyme, though there's hours of waiting and a bit of careful rinsing needed, so it makes sense only for big batches or special occasions IMO

idk I haven't found supreming citrus to be that hard, the first few are a pain as you get it down, but it's definitely not not worth it to DIY.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Honestly? Beans are great. It's like beans, liquid, salt, garlic/onion. Cooks quickly, shows off the best characteristics of the quick cooking time, easy. If she hates been that's another issue.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

For rice I got rid of my rice cooker and just use my pressure cooker. I can do as much or as little as I need, but more importantly it's very quick. I've a stovetop model so not sure how quick it would be with an instant pot, but the rice is perfect.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Guildenstern Mother posted:

I'm going to do it, I'm finally going to pull out that deep fryer I bought months ago

Yes, feel the power of the dark side of the force.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

kaworu posted:

I have a pretty normal-sized NY strip in the fridge right now dry-brining which I think I'll try the reverse sear on... I'm just apprehensive in part because I'm pretty drat happy with my current steak-cooking approach

Some people really hate the gradient you get in steak, ie the grey band. I've come to realize that I don't really care most days, specifically for thinner cuts. If we're talking like a rib roast or a shell, I absolutely care.. But to fire up a 1.5 inch steak I use a very hot carbon steel, it gets an amazing crust etc etc. But don't expect it necessarily to be life changing if you don't care about that grey band. Do think about it though as the steak gets thicker!

Carillon
May 9, 2014

ThePopeOfFun posted:

What can compare to the perfect peach? Avocado ripe from the tree is up there.

Don't avocados not ripen on the tree?

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Is there a word or phrase for the residue that the dishwasher sometimes leaves on the plates and glasses? My partner can't smell it but sometimes I have to rinse or rewash a glass before drinking from it.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Well I definitely smell it and aren't either to the best of my knowledge.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

It's 5 bucks a pound fresh off the boats in Half Moon Bay. Of course there's a lot of reasons why folks can't get out there, but if you can check out your local fisherfolk.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Why is it impossible to find diamond crystal sadly these days? No where by me send to have it anymore, if there a salt shortage or something? It's making me the wrong kind of salty.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Don't have a business, I thought you needed a license or something to shop there

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Adverse cheese-ssion

Carillon
May 9, 2014

We do a turnip soup that's amazing, I think taken from Alice Waters

Turnips, the small, tokyo turnips if we can get them, but honestly work with a bunch of types. Sliced thin on a mandolin
Greens, is you can use turnip greens, great, but I've done with chard, thinly sliced
Onion sliced/diced
Bay leaves+Thyme
Olive oil/butter
Broth/water
Parm

Soften the onion in the pot, then add the turnips in for a bit. Add in your bay and thyme for a minute, then add in your stock. You're looking for a brothy soup, so enough that everything is floating. Once it's melded and everything is soft, add in your greens for 5-10 minutes on low heat. Then shave/grate in a bunch of parm.

It's really good and one of our favorite gotos for turnips from our garden.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Miso is also good on toast if you run out of Vegemite.

White, yellow, and red? or one more than the other?

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Steve Yun posted:

Restaurant Depot started letting the public shop there when COVID hit (restaurants stopped buying because they were closed and groceries were empty because of panic shoppers), they’ll give you a one day pass if you show them your drivers license

Sadly I went today and was told they don't do that anymore, you need to be a member which requires a business license :( I can't believe how hard Diamond Crystal has been to find. It's such a small thing, but using Morton's kosher has really thrown my salting for a loop, things are either too salty, or not salty enough.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

veni veni veni posted:

Why not just get it on Amazon?

I'm seeing it cost like 12 bucks a box on Amazon, when I see it in the stores it's like 3-4.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

I always confuse Ragusa with Wiseman. Very much a me problem I know but I find one of them annoying so my brain tars them both.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Democratic Pirate posted:

Phone posting so apologies if I didn’t find the right thread, but does anyone have New Orleans food/bar recs to share? Not focusing on fine dining, but would love some places to hang out and catch up with friends I haven’t hung out with in person in 5 years.

I had some amazing loving food at Marjies. It was of one the top meals I've had in a long time.

Carillon fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Jun 18, 2023