Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

prayer group posted:

Mezcal negronis are so good! The 1-1-1 spec is an easy winner but i really like 1.5 mezcal, 1 black Spanish vermouth(Atxa or Casa Mariol), and 0.75 a milder bitter such as Montanaro Aperitivo. Split the vermouth with an oloroso sherry if you really wanna complicate things. I honestly think mezcal negronis are better than gin ones.

I don't usually deviate from the 1:1:1 spec, but a few drops of Bittermens Xocolotl Mole bitters makes any mezcal negroni better. Chocolate bitters are nice too, but the touch of chili heat and spice profile of the mole bitters is top-notch. And, agreed mezcal negronis are better. I love all negronis, but something about smoke and agave lends itself so well to the formula; I haven't found a gin yet that can compete.

Mom and I drank manhattans all day yesterday while doing turkey things, and I experimented with my embarrassingly extensive bitters collection. Ango was of course the perfect baseline, and I liked it considerably more then Peychaud's. Chocolate and cardamom bitters were the best we tried, along with Bittercube's Trinity which is primarily cherry/almond in profile. Grapefruit failed to impress. Lavender was extremely floral and would probably appeal more to folks who actually like lavender.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Sometimes I use Cynar instead of Campari.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Put hard boiled eggs in it for pickled eggs. Do picklebacks. Mix a little into egg salad/chicken salad/tuna salad. Add it to cole slaw or potato salad or anything that needs a little acidity and salt.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

I don't have the room for a charcuterie setup, but I have stepped up my fermenting game. I did a lot of pickles (the spicy watermelon rind turned out especially well), started making vinegar, and made my first batch of bitters.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

pro starcraft loser posted:

I think pork just replaced my go-to meat in a pasta meat sauce.

What if I told you meat sauces can contain more than one kind of meat?

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Casu Marzu posted:

The lye soak is what makes hominy kernels expand to that size iirc

Yeah, hominy is just regular seed corn that expands due to the lye treatment. It's actually quite small when dried (barely larger than a popcorn kernel), but something happens to the starches that makes it swell up a lot more with water.

I've had a couple of pounds of dried hominy in the pantry for a while now. Maybe I'll get it out and make pozole or something this weekend.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I use this recipe. But where it says “boil rapidly for one minute” I just cook to 235f (soft ball). Don’t use a light hand with the vanilla. And don’t skip the salt.

https://www.marthastewart.com/341856/vanilla-marshmallows

I've done a lot of marshmallows and it's true, people stare like you're a wizard when you break out the custom-flavored mallows. I use Stella Parks's (author of Bravetart) recipe since it fits my mixer bowl perfectly. A few other tips I picked up from a professional candy book and trial/error:

Instead of blooming the gelatin in the mixing bowl, do it in the top of a double boiler (or a bowl that fits over a saucepan, which is what I do). Once it's gone totally solid/bloomed, warm it so it melts. Adding the gelatin as a liquid ensures you don't get any hard chunky bits of partially-bloomed gelatin in your marshmallows.

Also, instead of letting the sugar stand for ten minutes, just keep a thermometer in it and make the mallows once it hits 212. Any hotter and it may damage the gelatin, causing less than ideal floof. Any colder and you'll have less time to whip air into it before it cools, which may also lead to less than ideal floof. I don't like to cool the sugar in my mixing bowl, because a thin layer of sugar sets up around the inside of the bowl and never incorporates, but that's probably not a big deal and you should feel free to cool in the bowl if you want. I just dump in sugar, dump in liquified gelatin, and immediately start the mixer.

Stuff like citrus oil, peppermint oil, etc. make really good flavorings for marshmallow, but don't add anything oil based until the mixing is nearly done. It'll suppress foaming and, yeah, less than ideal floof again. In my experience other extracts can go in pretty much whenever, but I usually add everything at the end anyhow.

Booze based marshmallows are loving amazing. I've made mezcal marshmallows a couple of times, once with smoked salt on top. Don't bloom the gelatin in the booze; that much alcohol will lead to a weird, rubbery, underinflated marshmallow. Instead swap out the water in the sugar solution. It'll come up to temp slightly faster than normal, but the sugar will behave properly and you'll be left with tons of boozy flavor without endangering the texture.

Oh, and for coating the finished marshmallows, try to use a powdered sugar with tapioca starch, not cornstarch. It's a necessary anti-caking addition added by the manufacturer, but cornstarch's particle size is large enough it can feel a little grainy on the tongue. Tapioca starch is smooth as heck. You can also cheat in about 50/50 powdered sugar to a flavored powder - I've done cocoa powder, peanut butter powder, and powdered dried mushroom; all of them worked fine. Much over 50/50 and you can start to get sticky spots.

Manuel Calavera posted:

I did the thing.

Yay! Congrats!

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Blue Labrador posted:

Fair enough on the quality thing lol. I haven't read any books or anything, no. I worked in a hotel for a couple years recently, so I picked up general "rules of thumb" from other workers and waiters so I wouldn't come across as a complete dummy in front of customers, but I wouldn't feel confident outside of super basic things. Do you (or anybody else) have any texts they'd like to recommend?

I've been lucky enough to end up in a town that has a vineyard nearby that grows all their own grapes in-state, which is pretty novel considering that it's in a high desert climate. So--back when I had more income--I've enjoyed trying those for that factor alone, even though they're maybe a little too dry and acidic for my current palate. Does anyone have any local spirits they'd like to recommend? I find the geographical aspect of liquor culture very fun.

If it's the Pahrump Winery, good for you supporting them but I thought they had a ways to go before being worth a re-visit. My last trip was a long time ago, though. Maybe they've improved.

I don't have any book suggestions offhand, but I'd recommend getting to know your local wine shops. Most shops of all sizes do free tastings - Total and other big shops are sponsored, while smaller shops just try to drag in customers. The most important thing to know about wine is what you like, and the best way to learn that is to drink a lot of different wines. Check around for shops doing wine classes as well. My local does (or did, pre-Covid, with plans to restart soon) weekly wine classes that are essentially guided tastings. I became a regular there, and along with some sweet friends-and-family discounts, I got to taste six or more wines every week for years. I'm a long way from being a wine expert, but I'm usually comfortable with a restaurant wine list. And I can pick something out on the shelves of a big wine shop without rolling the dice on getting the one employee on the floor who actually knows anything.

Reading about wine is cool and interesting (especially if you love Napoleonic law and geology), but won't do as much for your enjoyment as just drinking more wine. Especially at first.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Ah. Well, that's a shame. Vegas Valley Winery is a bunch of cool people, but they bring in grapes from South America, South Africa, and California for most of their stuff. They do some Nevada apple ciders that are great, though.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

therattle posted:

It’s called Milk St, not Flavortown

Fixed.

mediaphage posted:

milk street has no redeeming features over what's already out there

atk is good within a few niches but i wouldn't trust much of theirs that deals with ethnic / spicy foods either.

honestly these days if i actually need a recipe for something i look to a cookbook or blog written by someone who grew up in the region that the food is from

I usually browse YouTube for small channels I've never heard of preparing the recipe. It's not a guarantee of quality or whatever "authenticity" means, but it's more likely to be someone posting a thing they know and care about than some schmuck trying to make a quick YouTube dollar. It was really helpful when I was making albondigas to see how a few Mexican households did it, what the common ingredients across everyone's recipes were, etc. And when I struggled with getting pitas right, videos of home cooks talking about what works for them helped a ton. I mean, my pitas are still pretty mediocre, but they're way better than when I started.

Plus, occasionally when I do this I find a must-subscribe channel like De Mi Rancho a Tu Cocina.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Guildenstern Mother posted:

Yeah your brew will be farting happily in no time. I do want to get some good brewers yeast because I think it can get too yeasty flavored sometimes using the bread stuff.

The thing about brewing/winemaking/etc. yeast is it's as close to single-strain as the producers can manage, while bread yeast is a lot less strictly controlled. And because of the foibles of beer/wine/cider/etc. fermentation, most yeasts intended to produce alcohol don't ferment every single bit of sugar, or only do so to a certain percentage, or take longer to do it. Those kinds of yeasts also tend to have much higher nutritional needs (trace minerals, free nitrogen, etc.) than bread yeast, which pretty much just cares about having sugar. Beer and wine yeasts especially are also far more temperature sensitive. All of that means that producing ginger beer or whatever else with a dedicated booze-producing yeast is actually a lot more fiddly than using bakers' yeast. Yes, you'll get different flavors from different yeast. But if you get one that needs a ton of nutrition and drop it into a nutritionally void solution that bread yeast does fine in you'll get a lot of off flavors. If your kitchen is kinda warm and you use a yeast that likes working at lower temperatures you could get something tasting vaguely of banana, or clove/cinnamon, or movie theater popcorn butter, or canned green bean water, etc. Feel free to experiment, but definitely consider reading about the yeast you intend to use.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

I'm going to try making my own tofu this weekend. Anyone tried this? Are there any pitfalls to avoid or pro moves to increase yield or whatever?

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Casu Marzu posted:

It's pretty straightforward. You just need to be patient and make sure you understand all the steps ahead of time.

I use Andrea Nguyen's recipe and it's been pretty solid every time.

Thanks, that's a lot more helpful than most of the recipes I've looked through.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

It works fine for brown sugar. And honestly, I've used the same vanilla beans for ten years at this point and they're still making vanilla sugar just fine. There's an incredible amount of vanilla-ness in those things. I haven't bothered to powder them yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Guildenstern Mother posted:

Upton makes a cheap black tea blend called Christmas tea and it smells like absolute happiness. That is the only tea I put sugar in because it really does need just a pinch to bring out some of the flavors.

I'm glad to hear this because I got the Christmas tea as my free sample last time I ordered from them. I haven't opened it yet. Maybe I'll try it this weekend.