Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Mr. DnF's siblings and their girlfriends all live in town and we usually host, but decided last week that instead of having potluck at our place we'd do a food swap. I deboned a turkey and rubbed it with mayo and I highly fuckin recommend it. 90 minutes at 350 and it was perfect and juicy with crispy skin. I also did sourdough stuffing, and gravy with Hella Sage, and an apple cider cake, and Mr. DnF made crabcakes. Sibs made mashed potatoes, competing gravy, mezcal negronis, cheese gougeres, sage sablès, cranberry sauce, "meat bread", and a couple joints. Unfortunately for me I had like 7 mai tais last night and have a wicked hangover so I've barely eaten anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

BrianBoitano posted:

All I want for Christmas is this spec :swoon:

I loving despise Campari so you can have mine.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

drrockso20 posted:

good Cincinnati Chili

doesn't exist

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

The Maestro posted:

It can’t be easier to post pics on the awful app. Just tap your post in progress so the option bar pops up, hit img, then from library, and select your image. It automatically uploads it when you post.

This bugs out A LOT.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

bloody ghost titty posted:

Working through a hunk of white truffle isn’t easy for two, let alone once the old lady leaves for Xmas a few days early. Rice? Oil? How can I stretch this beyond eating every pasta dish ever (not mad at that thought but my dr might be)? Done salt for black truffles before but I know the white are much more delicate.

Just shove it in your bottom lip and work it for a few hours.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

BrianBoitano posted:

We helped moderate a Facebook cooking group for a while, and one poster kept calling her husband "king daddy" and since she was contributing, kind, and not breaking any rules we kept approving her posts

It was months later she revealed that "king daddy" was a nickname her grandchildren gave her husband instead of grandpa / paw paw / whatever which makes it a little less weird I think?

I remember that person. Maybe we're thinking of different groups but I saw the explanation on one of her first posts so it was definitely less weird.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Crusty Nutsack posted:

there used to be a really complicated, "ultimate" beef stroganoff recipe kicking around gws. I want to say it was like heston blumenthal or something, complicated but worth it. anyone know it?

Keller? https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/member/views/ad-hoc-beef-stroganoff-52594801

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

pr0k's mom is somebody's aunt.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

It’s just weird there is no visible mold. It really smells like *something* is fermenting. Never encountered it.

I've definitely encountered that in "health food" bread and yeah it's probably just extra yeasts.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Cold sake is better.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

pr0k posted:

I will fight u

not if i fite u first

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

...Under what circumstances are you required to peel a potato while it's hot?

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Goon friends, I need more eggplant options. Our plants have been crazy productive this year, and it's not ending. I've given away baskets full. I've made all the fish fragrant eggplant I can stand. I am baba ghanoushed. I want no more parmesan in my life. Curried out. Help me please come up with some more things to do with this crazy over-abundance. Especially stew type things that are on the lower effort side.

This shot is from this morning - 12 eggplants. I'm getting this every two days.

Baingan bharta.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Democratic Pirate posted:

https://youtu.be/S3STSEzUnEc

On another note, does anyone have a reliable biscuit recipe?

227g / 2 sticks COLD butter
44g AP flour
15g salt
1 tbsp baking powder
3/4 tsp baking soda
(I like to add about 1 tsp of cayenne)
~1.5 cup buttermilk
~3 Tbsp additional butter

Preheat a cast iron pan at 425 for about 30 minutes.

- Mix dry ingredients, maybe stick the bowl in the fridge if your kitchen is hot
- Cube the 2 sticks butter
- Toss the butter cubes in the dry ingredients and use your hands to mush them up until there are no butter pieces larger than about pea sized. You want a lot of fat flakes of butter. Pinch the butter cubes and toss everything around, trying not to get the butter softened. You may need to put the bowl back in the fridge occasionally depending on temperature. I've tried the pastry cutter, and the two knives, and it's just way easier to do it with your hands. Do not overwork and do not knead. If the mixture turns yellow you've gone too far. You want largish pieces of butter because the steam it gives off while baking will give you flaky layers
- Add about half the buttermilk. Depending on humidity etc you may not need all of it. Stir it into the dry ingredients with a spatula, you still want to keep it as cold as possible. Keep adding buttermilk until the mixture is wet and hydrated, but not too sticky and wet. You want no dry bits of flour in the bowl.
- Sprinkle some flour on your board and turn the mixture out onto it. At this point I use a dough scraper to shape and fold the mix. You want it to not stick to the board, and touch with your hands as little as possible. Folding the dough will help the biscuits be flaky, but be careful not to overwork. Be gentle.
- Here I personally just use the scraper to chop my dough into cubes. You can get fancy and use a cutter or something if you want.
- Take the hot cast iron out of the oven and yeet your remaining ~3Tbsp butter into it. Swirl it around to melt it all.
- Take your biscuits one at a time and carefully roll them in the hot melted butter skillet until they are buttered on all or most sides. A 12" skillet should be plenty big to hold them all. Cram them together in a circle to bake.
- Sprinkle the whole thing with flaky salt and maybe more cayenne.
- Bake for ~20-25 minutes. They should be golden on top but not quite starting to fully brown yet.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Doom Rooster posted:

OK, I am looking for ideas of how to use a particularly unique ingredient.

I recently started working at an excellent local charcuterie company. "chef driven. Locally sourced" yada yada. The vast majority of their stuff is fantastic. Before I got there, they did their first test batch of Nduja. Salt is perfect, ferment is perfect, MASSIVELY underspiced. Like, instead of an intense, deep blood red it is a very pale rosy pink and a nearly undiscernible amount of chili flavor. 2nd batch was very good, but we upped the chili another 30% for this latest batch that's almost ready because we want it intense. The first batch though... Pretty much just salty fermented funky spreadable pork fat.

It has been hanging around in our ferm room for too long, and is completely unsellable, so into the trash it goes. Because they ALL LACK VISION nobody else wanted to take any, so I currently have 11lbs of the stuff in my fridge at home.

Tell me goons, what would you do with this stuff?

I put it on pizza.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Helith posted:

If you use the grinder for both coffee and spices you can grind a small amount of white rice in between to clean the grinder of oils etc

UNCOOKED rice. To be clear.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

It's better than Ben & Jerry's.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Democratic Pirate posted:

Yeah the oven switches on and off to regulate heat, apparently there’s a switch that only releases gas when it senses a metal bit in the electronic igniter has gotten enough amps to be hot enough to ignite the gas. Since the wires used to heat the metal bit failed, the gas switch won’t operate let gas out. Or something like that. No pilot light from what I’ve seen.

Regardless, it’d be a pain to get everything disassembled enough to light the oven if I could get the gas going. Pie can wait, it’s Girl Scout cookie season and I have thin mints in the freezer.

No-bake pie with a thin mints crust.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Both I would guess. More likely mixing, but would like to be able to appreciate it straight

Mr DnF drinks a lot of Junipero, Hendrick's, and Leopold's.

I once watched my mother cook a lamb tenderloin steak (is there a better word for that?) by encasing it in plastic wrap and microwaving for several minutes.

My dad was a pretty good cook, I don't know where he learned but he was always throwing together things like a tomato cream pasta sauce with bacon and shrimp by like, cleaning out the fridge.

My mom did all the cooking.

I ate a lot of bagel bites.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Oh hey dnf! Been a while.

Hey! Come talk to us online! I also forgot about Roku gin, and he likes Fever Tree light tonic.

Stringent posted:

so how do you know your dad was a p good cook?

He cooked like, once a month. He also hated my mom's cooking and wasn't home a lot.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

ExecuDork posted:

OK, how did it taste?

I didn't eat it but it was grey and steaming when it came out.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

My first thread title in 19 years.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

VelociBacon posted:

Chunks of apple in a burrito also very good!

GET OUT

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Hot sauce goes on almost everything and I will die on THIS hill.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

I can eat a peach for hours.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Arkhamina posted:

There is a pretty good canning thread, but so far I've done 9 pints of green beans, 18 pints of pickled beets, 17 half pints of candied jalapenos, and like 15 half pints of assorted jams. Still want to do corn, tomatoes, and some broths.

Bit of a tangent, but there was a blog post I saw a bit back, which I'd like to try...someday. Food historian got the details on what a post WWII Ration book had for food you were allowed to buy in the UK after the war. She lived on just the things she was allowed to buy in that, plus whatever she could grow herself, or trade with people (from stuff she produced herself). I'd need to do a lot of digging to figure out just what was allowed, but would be interesting to try that for an experiment.

There's a hilarious UK show from a few years back called The Supersizers, where a food critic and a comedian have to live and dress in the manner of X time period for a week. Time periods include WW2, Regency, 1920s, and ancient Rome, among others. They cook and eat foods and ingredients that would have been available or popular at the time, and go into a bit of history about it.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

CainFortea posted:

My wife and I just watched British Bakeoff Halloween episode and the act of hearing two old britsh people mis-pronounce s'mores a bunch, while saying things like "this one is too messy" or "the marshmallow on this one is all goey and bad" may have given my wife a stroke. I've never seen her flip off a TV as much as that 15 minutes.

Have you seen the Mexican episode though.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

New post to remind/inform everyone that we have a (very active) discord server for those who prefer to chat in real time: https://discord.gg/BrMWseM8US

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

whose eyeball is that

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Papaya smells like vomit, is that what you're thinking of?

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Sriracha is extremely sweet.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Brown rice is good.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Steve Yun posted:

Usually keto/sugar-free bakeries

I think I’ll buy a bag just to have a bag. Gonna collect all the food additives like Pokemon

My aspartame came in. I was a little disappointed to see how small the bag was at first but it says use 1/8 the volume and weight of sugar. I think that’s a big rounding simplification because a packet is supposed to be equivalent to 2 teaspoons of sugar but when I measured it, was maybe 2/3 of a half teaspoon, suggesting 1/6 or 1/7 the volume of sugar. Has a slight cotton candy flavor but not as pronounced as stevia

I forget, what’s safer between sucralose and aspartame?

Don't the packets have some kind of filler?

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

I'm in the US and I've never seen Gruyere used as a generic, or with holes in it. It also tastes nothing like Swiss. What are you people eating?

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Arsenic Lupin posted:

How do you folks cope with "This is too many beets" and "this kale is not in good condition"?

Trash; soup.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

I don't know if he ever talked about it on the forums.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

I haven't had their alfredo but a jar of red sauce is good for about 8oz pasta depending on how saucy you like it.

Also their red sauces are all great, their soups are disgusting.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Sounds like you're eating really boring risotto.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

You can put literally anything in your hot wet rice and if you think it's boring you've just seriously had lovely risotto. Mushroom risotto obviously, borscht risotto like someone said, jambalaya risotto, pizza risotto, chicken soup risotto, shakshuka risotto. Literally any flavors you want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

ExecuDork posted:

I fed "A realistic image of a person stirring risotto at a stove in a kitchen, while drinking wine, and with a phonograph in the background" to Microsoft's image-generating AI

Despite the corn dog stirrer, that is some bland rear end lookin rice.