Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gegi
Aug 3, 2004
Butterfly Girl
There's a surprising amount of chili sauce/oil/powder/seeds available for sale on etsy.

(Surprising to me because I wouldn't expect anyone looking for that kind of thing to go to etsy for it)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gegi
Aug 3, 2004
Butterfly Girl

Liquid Communism posted:

Parsnips, turnips, and potatoes, all cut to about the same size. :v:

I still have unhappy memories of the time I bit something in a stew expecting potato and actually it was apple.

gegi
Aug 3, 2004
Butterfly Girl

mediaphage posted:

tbh i am not that impressed with beyond burgers. they're...fine? they definitely taste like a veggie burger, too hard on the char and onion flavour imo. i am absolutely content to have them when out and about, though i won't bother with them for home eating. definitely not as good as the burgers i get around here. they're not bad, i just don't think they're some revolution in veggie burgers that a lot of people do.

Our home response to the beyond burger as a burger has been pretty much - it's fine? I guess?

However we've had great success with dicing up the beyond burger patties for stir-fry with noodles. It goes from 'okay' to 'actually that's really tasty'. They probably have other meat shapes for sale that would work for that but the store we're using only carries burgers.

gegi
Aug 3, 2004
Butterfly Girl
I dimly remember someone in the restaurant industry thread long ago mentioning putting pizza in a blender while working at a hospital to feed someone in a similar situation. Sadly I can't remember who that was to see if they'd have other advice.

gegi
Aug 3, 2004
Butterfly Girl
Yeah, I was surprised when "spooks" was auto-censored on another webforum somewhere. I dimly know it can be used as a racial epithet but I've never encountered it that way in the wild myself. I feel like Scooby-Doo or something used to use "spooks" to talk about ghosts? I know I get it from somewhere. How common one is vs the other probably depends a lot on your particular cultural upbringing but it certainly can be uncomfortable for some.

gegi
Aug 3, 2004
Butterfly Girl

Gripweed posted:

is the recipe for pumpkin pie on the cans of pumpkin good enough?

i basically can't cook, so i go the can recipe plus vanilla and nutmeg. the nutmeg is crucial (for me).

gegi
Aug 3, 2004
Butterfly Girl

therattle posted:

My wife made a sticky toffee pudding and, as is her wont, chose a much more complicated recipe, both for the sponge and the sauce, which had to be made. I think it was an American recipe, and consequently the sponge was far too sweet

It's sticky toffee pudding? I'd still blame the British. My experience of British bakeries / baked goods has generally been completely tasteless other than the three inches of sugar. Banana bread's almost unfindable and when it appears, it's outright crunchy from how much sugar they've added. Whereas a British friend's reaction to American baking was "Why do you put cinnamon in everything?" (And my reaction to Finnish baking is "Why do you put cardamom in everything?")

(I mean obviously it all depends on where you go and/or whose recipes you're using, but who needs to be fair?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gegi
Aug 3, 2004
Butterfly Girl
The British almost certainly mean "set honey". Not quite crystalised, but less runny and not clear.