Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I still haven't decided on what to make my girl for Valentine's Day. Was thinking of sous vide salmon with béarnaise or hollandaise (internet seems divided on this one), or maybe duck of some sort. Suggestions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Casu Marzu posted:

Our plan is to eat some smash burgers and fried cheese curds and pass out on the couch watching something terrible.

Smashburgs are her standing birthday dinner request. She rarely eats beef, so that's a once year treat.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
GWS General Chat: the white secretions give me pause

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Brawnfire posted:

I just got a kitchenaid mixer woooo

You should cream the poo poo out of some butter.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Homemade marshmallows are also a good stand mixer choice because it’s easy and you’ll give them to people and they’ll be like wait what you can MAKE marshmallows? As though marshmallows are harvested from verdant fields somewhere.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

therattle posted:

Recipe please!

You’re joking about the harvesting part, right? Because you can harvest marshmallows? (Well, the plants)

I use this recipe. But where it says “boil rapidly for one minute” I just cook to 235f (soft ball). Don’t use a light hand with the vanilla. And don’t skip the salt.

https://www.marthastewart.com/341856/vanilla-marshmallows

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

therattle posted:

Thanks! It’s wouldn’t work as we are basically vegetarian at home (and don’t dig on swine).

I think there are agar agar marshmallow recipes out there

Edit: quick google shows me lots of recipes that use agar agar and aquafaba

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Screw that. Put your aunt to work.Make her a productive member of our capitalist society. Let her know that citizens who don't produce will be "retired."

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Scientastic posted:

Kill two birds with one stone, make chili out of your aunt

But don't put beans in it. You're just making aunt chili, you're not a monster.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Chard posted:

tonight i ground some salt for popcorn, and i guess last time i used my mortar for some rosemary i forgot to clean it

this poo poo is next level delicious oh my god

Glad to learn I’m not the only one who use a mortar and pestle to make popcorn salt

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I too am part of the portable induction hot pot crew. But if I were frying outdoors I'd use a turkey fryer burner since I could leave it outside and it will be powerful enough to manage the oil temp better.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The overpriced popcorn the boy scouts sell (used to sell?) was pretty good. Those really round pieces covered in cheese dust. Never got any that was stale, and ate it fast enough it never got stale.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Manuel Calavera posted:

They still sell it, mulch too.

Related to Boy Scouts though. I'm gonna get my name updated with them. Then there will be another girl Eagle Scout. :getin:

I wasn't even sure if they were still around. I knew they declared bankruptcy at some point, and what with all the molesting and homophobia and transphobia and racism, thought maybe they'd had just quietly gone away.

edit: Also congrats on all your life changes. Takes courage to be yourself.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
We got butter and huge blocks of American cheese. Cause that's what poor people need.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It’s $40 but that’s only like the cost of two chipotle burritos (or one if you get door dash to deliver it)

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Especially not if you’re a white Anglo Saxon Protestant

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
My girlfriend bought some sort of sprouted whole grain bread (I think that’s what she called it) and when she finally opened it it smelled like alcohol or acetone or possibly both. What happened?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

SubG posted:

Fermentation.

I mean yeah I assumed that but what’s the likely mechanism? Wild yeasts? And did the sprouted grains contribute in some way that in sprouted (?) grains would not have?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Apparently she purchased it 10 days ago and it’s some healthy stuff so it’s got no preservatives or poo poo. Was probably decent bread 9.5 or 10 days ago. It seemed soft still so I assume it was bagged in a way that kept air out. And moisture in. Bagged hot could well be a culprit.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

mediaphage posted:

10 day old bread with no preservatives kept in a tight bag

i'm almost certain you're smelling mould

It’s just weird there is no visible mold. It really smells like *something* is fermenting. Never encountered it.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

BrianBoitano posted:

Sure, just start with 25% less, then taste and add more lime or sugar as desired. Lime juice starts with a bit less sugar on its own but most recipes have so much added sugar it'll be negligible.

Lemon has less citric acid and more sugar than lime? Why is it more sour?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

mediaphage posted:

yes of course but this is an argument people love to throw against stuff like chipotle. tbh idgi because they basically sell a bunch of stuff i would make at home none of which is individually bad tasting. i think people just like to hate on what’s popular.

anyway their food crimes pale in comparison to something like little caesars hot n readys which i’m sorry are foul

I don't think Chipotle meats are as tasty as they could be, but every other part of what they make seems just fine in my (limited) experience with them. It's a basic-rear end burrito, there's really not much they could do to screw it up.

edit: Well there was the time when they served everything with a side of e coli and that seems bad

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I was gonna say so many of them are models or other entertainer types, I figure they found them through a casting agency. And they are playing up their incompetence. That show annoys the poo poo out of me.

The best cooking competition is the British Bake-off or whatever it’s called. No twists, no hiding the use of recipes or any other bullshit like that. Just good bakers.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Any idea where us folks can stream those? Couldn't find anything other than British Baking show on my usual platforms.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

BrianBoitano posted:

"I made a curry"
"Thai? Japanese? Indian?"
"Yes"

Reminds me of the cooking tournament on Food network I watched yesterday. She dumps garam masala and coconut milk into her dish and calls it a Thai curry, where it is served to the judge who's specialty is Thai cuisine.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
My girlfriend has never had wagyu so I was thinking about ordering an A5 ribeye so she could experience it. What would be the ideal way to prepare it? Just searing it off as a whole ribeye seems unexciting. I’ve seen videos where they cut it into smaller pieces and sear those on all sides. Is that the way to go? Just S&P? Salt and togarashi? Soy sauce while searing? If I do this I’d rather not gently caress it up.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

mystes posted:

In what can only be described as a fit of insanity I signed up for a trial subscription for Christopher Kimball's Milk Street and tried a rogan josh recipe they had, and all I can say is that I ended up having to go back and add like 10x all the spices at the end to make it have any flavor at all.

Lol at looking to Milk Street for a curry recipe

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The ATK food processor pie dough is a great and super easy.

I also make my pizza dough in a food processor.

I tend to like ATK recipes, and take shortcuts where I think appropriate. They do seem to like two part cooking methods, but I do that a lot on my own anyway so it’s not a big deal. Two part cooking methods generally give results just can’t (consistently) get with single method cooking.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Mr. Wiggles posted:

I guess I misestimated how many people would have gotten the reference.

You had to peel 8 potatoes?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

mediaphage posted:

croutons: 1

vitamix: 0

I don’t know if it’s just the picture but the plastic looks cloudy. Has it been in the dishwasher?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Anyone here mess around with growing mushrooms at home? I see these boxes you can buy that I guess are filled with medium and spores or whatever. Just wondering if there's any benefit to it (cost, flavor, freshness, etc.)

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Mushroom hooch does not sound delicious

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Mister Facetious posted:

It was made by dwarves in the Dragonlance series! :eng101:

I don’t know if that’s an argument for or against it

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
We do hotpot probably once a week. I have a little induction burner and divided pot so I can do two broths. It’s an easy meal to prep and there’s really no limit to ingredients. Really fond of beech mushroom ms, tofu skins, bean sprouts, tofu puffs, and rice vermicelli. Lately I’ve also started poaching an egg for each of us in the broth, and that’s pretty great too. Pork belly and flounder have been the only things I didn’t really like in it, but ymmv.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I don’t know anything about what brands are good among induction burners. Mine is a Berghoff and it has served me well though.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Just tried the angry lady hot pot mix as thread's recommendation and it rocks. But it only calls for 500ml of water, whereas most of the mixes I use call for 1000-1500ml. Do you guys use two packs at a time, or just a very small pot or what? Followup question: Any cheap place online to buy it in bulk?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Company owner sent me a text that said "I left something in the freezer for you." Turns out it's some miso marinated sablefish and, more importantly, a chunk of A5 tenderloin.

The tenderloin is vac packed, am I better off thawing in the fridge overnight, or in cold water? Also, I was thinking for perfect doneness, I'd sv it and sear. Any idea what an ideal temp for wagyu tenderloin is? Is sous vide a bad option for some reason?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Same Great Paste posted:

For what reason are you thawing the tenderloin as a separate step than the sous vide? I'm not aware of a reason not to just sous vide straight from the freezer. Unless you're wanting to sear it first?

I’d sear it after. I’ve never dropped anything in the bath from frozen but I suppose I could. I assume I’d salt it before cooking at least, but that may not even be necessary.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

fizzymercury posted:

Holy poo poo, I thought my Mema was the only one that pulled the molasses milk con. I made a glass of the stuff in front of one of my friends in elementary school and I still feel the hot shame of her horrified stare. It didn't help that I was making it with full fat raw milk, butterfat chunks and all. She did finally try some and said it tasted like chocolate milk made with pennies and dirt.

I still drink it and sometimes I make it with buttermilk instead.

I've never had molasses milk but I'm gonna try it. My grandpa used to make me maple milk and holy poo poo I loved that, but who can afford that these days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I'm so sick and tired of seeing people on food network serve something with "caramelized onions" and its a heap of barely even grilled onions. Words have meaning, assholes.