Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

my stuffing balls, they are crusty

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

How Wonderful! posted:

The only version I've ever had is my mom's, which I used to ask for on my birthday every year and which she gave me the recipe to when I got married. I believe she picked up from working at a bunch of Cincinnati diners in her teens and twenties in the 70s. It's not really perfect food and I'm sure there are ways to improve it but this is, like, perfect comfort food to me and one of my main go-to things specifically for when I'm feeling homesick (also her zucchini pie and just pimento cheese or red beans and rice in general-- she bounced all around the Southeast and the Midwest before settling down). I feel proud that in grad school I was friends with two people who went to college in Cincinnati and were disgusted by Skyline but liked this.

I usually adapt this to be meatless. I also break the law big-time and often cook the beans in the chili instead of cooking them separately and putting them on top, but please never tell my mom that. This is very diner-y food, so just dump in a ton of spices and go for it if you don't like the numbers used here. I've cropped out my mom's name but otherwise will just present it as is including weird stains on the back that were there when she gave it to me.

Obviously it's kind of a love it or hate it thing but I hope you give it a try and enjoy it for what it is! Growing up we usually ate it over spaghetti with beans and extra diced onions on top, with oyster crackers and a little bit of cheddar (much less than I've seen on pictures of Skyline food), but it's also great on fries or eggs or over a hot dog if you like hot dogs or like a kielbasa or something, I certainly dumped a bunch of it on a veggie dog enough times when I was younger.

This is a great story and I love the recipe cards :3
Thanks for sharing!

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

there used to be a really complicated, "ultimate" beef stroganoff recipe kicking around gws. I want to say it was like heston blumenthal or something, complicated but worth it. anyone know it?

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

yup that's it, thank you!

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Chris kimball sucks rear end and loudly dislikes flavor on his shows. Not to mention he’s got a real savior complex as the white bread guy mansplaining “ethnic” food to everyone

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

I was gifted a North Spore lions mane kit last year. It was pretty fun when there was nothing going on with the pandemic. I have a black thumb otherwise but got a good first flush and made some “crab” cakes with it. I enjoyed it so much I bought an oyster kit as a gift for someone else.

If you think you might like a fun little hobby thing like this then you probably will. I’m definitely interested in growing more.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

he was a cool dude

gently caress cancer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Burt's and Pequod's have the best deep dish, and they're amazing. I have a soft spot for Giordano's since I used to get it in college a lot (spinach or bust), but it's technically stuffed pizza, not deep dish. their thin crust isn't bad though.

what's everyone making for super bowl this year? I can't decide, though I think we are going to do a s'mores bar (complete with sterno for roasting) for dessert