Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you think French sounds bad/weird?
Yes, it sounds bad
Yes, it sounds weird
I'm indifferent to it
No, it sounds great
Ceci n'est pas une Goku
View Results

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

Too scary

Ever since I was a kid I always thought the French language sounded so weird and grating, like it just sounds bad to me and I don't know if it's just a thing of mine or if more people agree. Whenever I hear other languages I don't get this feeling (although Chinese sounds undecipherable to me). English is not my first language but it sounds fine to me but maybe I just got used to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

President in Residence
May 12, 2003

I used to think so when I was in high school taking French classes, but now I think it sounds cool.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

twenty-six characters long

All I know is the biggest assholes I know are from Quebec

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here. It's gone now.

I like how they have a billion vowels and slur over 'em all.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 6, 2010

It's like wiping your rear end with silk OP

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

No, Swedish

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NEGoQ3QYhAE

Halloween Liker
Oct 31, 2020

It sucks but it is nowhere near annoying as a strong British accent which is half wet mouth and soggy lipped popping sounds.

I'll listen to a French accent audiobook or podcast over a British one any day.

Pawn 17
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

le haw haW hAW HAW HAWW! HAWWW!!!

Dr. Gojo Shioji
Apr 22, 2004

Das Boo posted:

I like how they have a billion vowels and slur over 'em all.

Mylan
Jun 19, 2002

Taco Defender

Try to say something intimidating or badass in French. You can't do it. It's like trying to describe a color to the blind.

Straight White Shark
May 16, 2009

Fun Shoe

non, monsieur

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Oui.

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

Mylan posted:

Try to say something intimidating or badass in French. You can't do it. It's like trying to describe a color to the blind.

me, convicted of sodomy posted:

Derpies
Mar 10, 2014

I think people who speak french tend to be bigger assholes to people trying to learn/speak it. Doesn't sound stupider than any other language though.

Origin
Feb 15, 2006

My French teacher in High School used to complain about people slurring words together like "Idunno." And then I took Latin and discovered that's what the French language is all about.

Origin
Feb 15, 2006

How about some evidence!

So, there really isn't a set way of saying "yes" in Latin. You might affirm the question be asked or reply with something like "ita vero" or something. The various Romance languages eventually settled on using a word like "sic" (thus) if you were in what became Italy, Spain, or Portugal. If you were in Southern-ish France, you used "hoc" (that) as your word. And if you were even further up north in France, you would use "hoc ille (est)" (that's it). Eventually, through the process of too much wine and cigarettes, and Robespierre acting like Jacobin Moses, the French took that hoc ille and smashed it together to produce oui.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

She's delusional,
"where's god", etc.
Completely suicidal.
One day she snaps.
She wants to kill herself
but she realizes that
teen suicide is out this year
and homicide is a much healthier therapeutic expression.

Pawn 17 posted:

I know exactly how this laugh is supposed to sound and hate that there's no way to really spell it out. French seems to have degrees in-between "ah" "oh", and "oooh" and it annoys me greatly.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

She's delusional,
"where's god", etc.
Completely suicidal.
One day she snaps.
She wants to kill herself
but she realizes that
teen suicide is out this year
and homicide is a much healthier therapeutic expression.

Obligatory https://youtu.be/OuN-YS8M5mc

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

Pillbug

It's real bad OP. German too. They're both awful, just the worst. Can you imagine French used to be the lingua franca (French tongue)? Yeesh.

Weka
May 5, 2019

And if you gaze long into an abyss, you will say `look, no ring.`

French probably sounds fine if you pronounce all the letters but the French are incapable of this.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

I just had an epiphany: the internet is useless!

Ultra Carp

hon hon hon

Synthetic Hermit
Apr 4, 2012

mega survoltage!!!

Grimey Drawer

Top 3 worst sounding languages

1. Quebec French
2. Mandarin
3. Non-Quebec French

I wince each time they leave the H off of foreign words. Those F1 broadcasts that were sponsored by 'onda...

And words ending with -in...

There are phrases here and there that sound cool though, such as my custom title.

Synthetic Hermit fucked around with this message at 11:40 on Nov 26, 2020

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

"'Ticia! That's French!"

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

oignon

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

I don't think French sounds bad but it's overrated compared to other romance languages. Italian is right there. Spanish Spanish has that weird lisp sound going on sometimes but Spanish in general can sound really good.

English speakers can't talk, our only refuge is that there are a ton of accents that are all over the loving place and a couple of them sound good by accident, but there's an ocean of poo poo too. People make fun of the Deep South but Boston has an absolute toilet accent. I grew up near there but just goddamn what did the letter r ever do to you?

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

No, what a hosed up thing to say.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Japanese is a horrible language to listen to. Especially when spoken by a shrill younger woman that so many people seem to find enduring/sexy/whatever weird thing, sounds like a mouse being forced to speak Klingon.

Fat Albert in a can
Aug 20, 2006

These stupid forest elves have NO appreciation for how hard I work on my hair.

Origin posted:

How about some evidence!

So, there really isn't a set way of saying "yes" in Latin. You might affirm the question be asked or reply with something like "ita vero" or something. The various Romance languages eventually settled on using a word like "sic" (thus) if you were in what became Italy, Spain, or Portugal. If you were in Southern-ish France, you used "hoc" (that) as your word. And if you were even further up north in France, you would use "hoc ille (est)" (that's it). Eventually, through the process of too much wine and cigarettes, and Robespierre acting like Jacobin Moses, the French took that hoc ille and smashed it together to produce oui.

This is really cool, thanks for sharing. I love languages and nerdy facts in general.

I can understand first year college written French, but speaking it so that I'm understood or understanding what is said to me, forget about it.

I think tonal languages are like nails on a chalkboard. Maybe it's because I'm salty that I don't have an ear for it.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

French is fine, I've heard Quebec French is like inherently comical to other French speakers though, kind of similar to Swiss German, and I'm saying that as someone who doesn't really speak much German, but Swiss German just sounds like an incomprehensible joke.

sean10mm posted:

I don't think French sounds bad but it's overrated compared to other romance languages. Italian is right there. Spanish Spanish has that weird lisp sound going on sometimes but Spanish in general can sound really good.

English speakers can't talk, our only refuge is that there are a ton of accents that are all over the loving place and a couple of them sound good by accident, but there's an ocean of poo poo too. People make fun of the Deep South but Boston has an absolute toilet accent. I grew up near there but just goddamn what did the letter r ever do to you?

Isn't that most Spanish/Castillian Spanish? Like especially the whole Castillian area and Andalucia and Murcia, they go all in on the lisping.

Swedish is a garbage language.

Rhadamanthus
Dec 12, 2004

I roll a lotta sushi, roll 'em fat like John Belushi; call me Desi Arnaz, dogg, I love the Lucy.

mom and dad fight a lot posted:

All I know is the biggest assholes I know are from Quebec

Seriously. Quebec is the only place I've been actively anti-Semitism'ed by a complete loving stranger in public.

Also they have no loving sense of personal space and they smell like a wet poo poo in a bag.

gently caress Quebec and gently caress the Quebecois.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .

Doctor Rope

French is fine, I voted indifferent. The only language I thought sounded especially cool the first time I heard it was Icelandic. It's all pillowy and flowy and nice. It's like a bed for my ears.

sean10mm posted:

Spanish Spanish has that weird lisp sound going on sometimes but Spanish in general can sound really good.

After learning Spanish from Puerto Ricans, Colombians, Dominicans, Peruvians, Hondurans, Ecuadorians, Argentinians, Mexicans, etc., I'm from Queens, NY I heard some Spaniard tourists on the subway, and they sounded like robot newsanchors.

quote:

People make fun of the Deep South but Boston has an absolute toilet accent. I grew up near there but just goddamn what did the letter r ever do to you?

I try to avoid disliking US accents because I don't want to sound like a classist jerk, but my god, Boston accents are horrible.

Big Beef City posted:

Japanese is a horrible language to listen to. Especially when spoken by a shrill younger woman that so many people seem to find enduring/sexy/whatever weird thing, sounds like a mouse being forced to speak Klingon.

I like the way Japanese sounds when spoken in normal contexts by normal people, and your description is hilariously, disturbingly accurate.

edit:

Randarkman posted:

Swedish is a garbage language.

Swedish isn't even the garbagest northern European language it's Faroese, imho

YeahTubaMike fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Nov 26, 2020

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

My Belgian cousin got married in rurual Quebec a couple of years ago and at the reception I was sat a table with cousins from Belgium and Lebanon.

My Lebanese uncle, the father of the bride, gave a speech in French. The whole reception understood.

The Québécois father of the groom gave his speech. Every other table burst out laughing except mine because we couldn't understand a single word.

Karanas
Jul 17, 2011

Euuuuuuuugh

So what I'm taking from this thread is that all languages are terrible.

Synthetic Hermit
Apr 4, 2012

mega survoltage!!!

Grimey Drawer

Rhadamanthus posted:

gently caress Quebec and gently caress the Quebecois.

250 years later, and they still refuse to accept that they lost:

https://www.ctvnews.ca/plains-of-ab...celled-1.371078

Oyak
Nov 13, 2007

When I see your posting

College Slice

Do French people actually go, "HONH HONH HONH?"

Because if they do, I will move to France so I can get some of that joie de vivre.

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

College Slice

I think it sounds nasally

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

I speak in Latin to God, Italian to Women, French to Men, and German to my Horse

-fake news

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

Well, there goes our grant money.

All talking in any language is bad and sounds annoying. The only option is communicating with farts and gestures.

DarkSoulsTantrum
Apr 6, 2011

this kills the crab

Sure, they're visually impressive, but a lot of posters find large avatars physically uncomfortable. Furthermore, the owners of large avatars often rely on their size alone and don't bother to develop more refined posting techniques.

Grimey Drawer

Every language sounds stupid as hell and the world would be a better place if everyone just shut the gently caress up once in a while

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

Origin posted:

How about some evidence!

Q: is this why Languedoc is Languedoc?