Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you think French sounds bad/weird?
Yes, it sounds bad
Yes, it sounds weird
I'm indifferent to it
No, it sounds great
Ceci n'est pas une Goku
View Results

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

french sounds cool. dutch and japanese are the dumbest sounding languages

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

dutch and japanese are the dumbest sounding languages

Aw, I think Dutch sounds adorable. :3:

tetsuo
May 12, 2001

I am a shaman, magician
I like French but the way they name numbers after 20 is dumb as hell imo

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
I didn't know about the numbers thing, wow

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

You'd think that oo la la is a stereotype but it isn't. It's wild when you hear your first "ooooo la la la la la la". Six las.

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

Zybourne Clock posted:

My favorite fact about the language is adjectives come after nouns, except for a collection of fifteen unrelated words which instead go before. French grammar reflects French attitudes.

In high school my teacher gave us a mnemonic for remembering which adjectives go before the noun, but it fell apart once I got into college and learned more words, including adjectives that can go either way and actually change their meaning depending on their position.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

It's wild when you hear your first "ooooo la la la la la la"

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

Zybourne Clock posted:

My favorite fact about the language is adjectives come after nouns, except for a collection of fifteen unrelated words which instead go before. French grammar reflects French attitudes.

No Pants posted:

In high school my teacher gave us a mnemonic for remembering which adjectives go before the noun, but it fell apart once I got into college and learned more words, including adjectives that can go either way and actually change their meaning depending on their position.

You can put them before or after in almost every case. It's a choice and most of the time putting the adjective after the noun will make you sound like a pompous rear end in a top hat or someone trying to be poetic and failing at it.

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

yeah well i'm complaining about the exceptional ones, especially you, grand.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

free hubcaps posted:

dang thats cool

what's the origin of the circumflex? i remember hearing somewhere it was a displaced "s" originally following the letter it's over but idk if thats true

it is. it's easy to see in a word like château, which is cognate with castle. the circumflex used to represent a different pronunciation, but now it's just a linguistic artifact.

the Academie recommended getting rid of all of them except the ones that mark what would otherwise be homographs, but that made everybody mad.

Zybourne Clock posted:

the mnemonic for this is T-BAGS, which lol. time, beauty, age, goodness, size.

a few of them change meaning depending on placement. "mon vieux professeur" is "my former professor," but "mon professeur vieux" is "my professor who is old."

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

YeahTubaMike posted:

Aw, I think Dutch sounds adorable. :3:

Frisian sounds like a brain-damaged person trying to speak English

to be fair i'm sure the inverse is true as well

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

eSports Chaebol posted:

some of those dutch dialects look like quasi-english even in written form

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
I got through an entire transaction in German bc I can count to 12 and pronounce things and I got through an entire transaction in Dutch bc I apparently look Dutch and could read the numbers on the cash register

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
I'm learning French right now because I'm Canadian and if I'm gonna be bilingual I might as well pick the other language that shows up on all our product labels. It's like a free textbook with every bottle of shampoo and bag of chips! For example, did you know "all dressed potato chips" is "croustilles assaisonnées"? I do because I'm a messy loser who's had an empty chip bag on the floor in front of him for weeks.
French is neat, all languages are neat, open your mind and stop being a turd about dumb poo poo. Plus we all know the worst language is written Dutch. Lord spare me from having to see anything written down in that goofy-rear end swamp language.
Also I'm playing through Pokemon X (the one set in not-France) in French and did you know Psyduck is Psykokwak in French okay that's all, thought you should know, au revoir.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Diet Poison posted:

I'm learning French right now because I'm Canadian and if I'm gonna be bilingual I might as well pick the other language that shows up on all our product labels. It's like a free textbook with every bottle of shampoo and bag of chips! For example, did you know "all dressed potato chips" is "croustilles assaisonnées"? I do because I'm a messy loser who's had an empty chip bag on the floor in front of him for weeks.
French is neat, all languages are neat, open your mind and stop being a turd about dumb poo poo. Plus we all know the worst language is written Dutch. Lord spare me from having to see anything written down in that goofy-rear end swamp language.
Also I'm playing through Pokemon X (the one set in not-France) in French and did you know Psyduck is Psykokwak in French okay that's all, thought you should know, au revoir.

quebecois isn't french

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

No Pants posted:

BAGS, beauty age goodness and size.

But if you want to remember which verbs past tenses are conjugated with etrê just ask

MRS DR VANDERTRAMP.

I learned French in Africa and its a much better dialect than Parisienne. Its way slower for one. It also doesnt use the weird throaty "R" sound.

I had fun turning heads Nice and Cannes. I just spoke French as I knew it. I had people say things like: "Your French is very good, but you have the accent of a Dakar street hawker".

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

free hubcaps posted:

some of those dutch dialects look like quasi-english even in written form

Its been a while since i was in linguistics school but I think frisian is the closest language to english.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Empty Sandwich posted:

I got through an entire transaction in German bc I can count to 12 and pronounce things and I got through an entire transaction in Dutch bc I apparently look Dutch and could read the numbers on the cash register

I was once in germany and wanted to get the full normal citizen experience so I ordered some chinese food at a mall one day.

The lady at the counter was chinese and did not speak english at all. My choices were chinese or german. Thankfully I figured out that schwein on the menu was pork so I ordered one of those in my best german accent which may or may not have been offensive to do. still not sure but she understood enough.

Then as the transaction went on she started saying something in what even I could tell was heavily accented german. It took a bit of pantomiming but eventually it occurred to me I was being asked about a drink. I didn't know how answer that, was too dumb to even say wasser on the spot, so I just smiled and said nein danke a bunch and eventually I got my food.

it wasn't that great.

that is one of the two times in my life where I had to carry out some form of transaction where neither party understood each other's language.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

The_Continental posted:

But if you want to remember which verbs past tenses are conjugated with etrê just ask

MRS DR VANDERTRAMP.
Haha what? Explain. I've only just hit past tenses in my studies and they gently caress with me.

Methanar posted:

quebecois isn't french
good thing I'm not learning quebecois you tabarnac de calice.
They don't even teach quebec french in schools here, which always struck me as a little funny (possibly some kind of passive-aggressive? In a "sure we'll teach your language but not your weirdo dialect" way). If you live in Canada you're more likely to end up in Quebec than France... then again, I've never been to Quebec, but I've been to Paris. Took a photo with a "Royale with cheese" poster and everything.

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins
Vietnamese is the only language I know of that always sounds bad and weird to me. Korean sounds fine normally, but becomes incredibly annoying when spoken like it is in their soap operas. Instant migraine.

This is all purely from an aesthetic standpoint, of course.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Diet Poison posted:

"Croustilles assaisonnées" definitely sounds like those quebec only translations though, in france you'd probably say chips.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

unpacked robinhood posted:

"Croustilles assaisonnées" definitely sounds like those quebec only translations though, in france you'd probably say chips.

the cool thing about quebec is they are even more isolationist than france when it comes to hating the english and their loan words

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

unpacked robinhood posted:

Good point. In France they have KFC, and in Quebec (and on one side of every bucket in Canada) it's PFK. I'm pretty sure I heard French stop signs even just say STOP instead of ARRET, though I don't know how much truth there is to that. I was surprised to learn how much English the French have incorporated, since we always hear what tight-asses they are about it. Like weekend is week-end and email is e-mail.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Diet Poison posted:

Haha what? Explain. I've only just hit past tenses in my studies and they gently caress with me.

It's être conjugated verbs. Can't do them all but à lot of motion verbs (descendre, rentrer, for example) get conjugated with être.

Il est mort/descendu/rentré as opposed to il a mort etc.

Diet Poison posted:

They don't even teach quebec french in schools here, which always struck me as a little funny (possibly some kind of passive-aggressive? In a "sure we'll teach your language but not your weirdo dialect" way). If you live in Canada you're more likely to end up in Quebec than France... then again, I've never been to Quebec, but I've been to Paris. Took a photo with a "Royale with cheese" poster and everything.

Where I was it was a mix of quebec and parisian french. Learned a lot of nouns that got some very quizzical looks in france.

Easy test: what's a watermelon in french?

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
the Spanish classes... hell, most of the language classes in my high school were taught by people who were at best not fluent. but it was worst in Spanish.

the textbook we had was teaching us some especially recherché and bookish Continental Spanish, so I ended up in the awkward position of being the tutor for a native speaker from Mexico, explaining poo poo like why "usted" was abbreviated "Vd" in this book.

as a side note, my father misunderstood the story and said "he didn't know what VD is?!"

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

ilmucche posted:

Easy test: what's a watermelon in french?

not much... what's a watermelon in french with you?

(my favorite example of this poo poo is "radis a cheval" for Quebecois horseradish)

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

the quebecois gave us poutine and for that they are always welcome in north america

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

Synthetic Hermit posted:

How on Earth does "c'est trois" become "sey twa"?

And don't get me started on the name "Gauthier".

I won't blame you if you don't believe me but once you know the rules for French pronunciation it's way more consistent about them than English is.

Fun fact: a lot of French speakers think that capital letters don't require accents.

This is false. It's simply because the purpose-designed French AZERTY keyboard is incapable of typing them (whereas on my Spanish keyboard I can do this easily)

You also need to press shift for numbers and periods.

The French keyboard, to make up for this does include a "μ" key and also one for "ù", which appears in precisely one word in the French language.

Synthetic Hermit
Apr 4, 2012

mega survoltage!!!
Grimey Drawer

Captain Splendid posted:

Fun fact: a lot of French speakers think that capital letters don't require accents.

This is false. It's simply because the purpose-designed French AZERTY keyboard is incapable of typing them (whereas on my Spanish keyboard I can do this easily)

The French keyboard, to make up for this does include a "μ" key and also one for "ù", which appears in precisely one word in the French language.

I had to use a French keyboard once. It was like solving a 5 star logic puzzle.

Maytag
Nov 4, 2006

it's enough that it all be filled with that majestic sadness that is the pleasure of tragedy.
French sounds like a loose stool you have to wipe 1000 times to keep your underwear clean.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

French sounds better when you understand it a bit so you can tell one word from another.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
*drunk Parisian slurring all his words together, omitting all the word endings, choking on his own tongue*

wow this is is truly the language of love

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Diet Poison posted:

:psyduck: the real PSYKOKWAK is that Farfetch'd is named Canardticho in french , a porte-manteau between canard(duck) and artichaut(artichoke) when he is in fact carrying a motherfucking leek. That's far fetched.

Diet Poison posted:

Good point. In France they have KFC, and in Quebec (and on one side of every bucket in Canada) it's PFK. I'm pretty sure I heard French stop signs even just say STOP instead of ARRET, though I don't know how much truth there is to that. I was surprised to learn how much English the French have incorporated, since we always hear what tight-asses they are about it. Like weekend is week-end and email is e-mail.
Most of the english words we use in french are taken out of their original english meaning. We have poo poo ton of "faux-anglicismes".

Toplowtech fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Nov 30, 2020

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

The_Continental posted:

BAGS, beauty age goodness and size.

yeah that's the one, except it was BANGS with an N for number i think. but there are some like ancien, where it could be literally ancient (after) or just the previous [noun] (before), or grand where it could be big in size (after) or great in quality (before) but only if you're talking about a man. maybe all this is different for conversational/informal french like someone mentioned.

i also remember dr mrs vandertramp

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Captain Splendid posted:

I always thought I was too dumb to figure out how to put accents on capital letters, at least now I know it can't be done.

The shift for numbers thing is double hosed because the french use commas instead of the decimal point. Period is a shift-key activation on a french keyboard, comma isn't so typing stuff into excel and calculator is a pain.

Commas v decimal points is one of those weird cultural things no one will ever tell you because it's naturally ingrained. It's how you write numbers.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

ilmucche posted:

I always thought I was too dumb to figure out how to put accents on capital letters, at least now I know it can't be done.

The shift for numbers thing is double hosed because the french use commas instead of the decimal point. Period is a shift-key activation on a french keyboard, comma isn't so typing stuff into excel and calculator is a pain.

Commas v decimal points is one of those weird cultural things no one will ever tell you because it's naturally ingrained. It's how you write numbers.
No there are tons of stuff like the "accent on capital letters" problem with french keyboards. The QWERTY layout was most likely adapted into AZERTY in the 1890s by American typewriters firms. Hail free market. The french made alternative ZHJAY failed in the 1910s because "SECRETARIES" were already used to that poo poo system. Apparently no one loving knows what happened because who wanted to be a typewriter historian in the 1900s. Why are we still using a keyboard system created to prevent physical jams on a type writer when it's all numeric nowadays? Oh yeah, retraining cost.

Toplowtech fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Nov 30, 2020

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Most linuxes: Capslock + é = É
Windows: who loving knows, try copy pasting from the internet it's faster.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

enomie posted:

French sounds like what it is... a bunch of Welsh people who were forced to speak Latin to each other for hundreds of years.

Western France is more Germanic than Gaulic. You know, from the Franks and what not.

eSports Chaebol posted:

Old English and Frisian are mutually intelligible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OeC1yAaWG34

LiterallyATomato
Mar 17, 2009

"Particuliarement" is the best sounding word in any language I speak.

That's ONE AND A HALF WHOLE LANGUAGES, OP!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

tetsuo posted:

I like French but the way they name numbers after 20 is dumb as hell imo

Big Scary Owl posted:

I didn't know about the numbers thing, wow

French got nothin' on Danish when it comes to numbers:

Grandmother of Five posted:

On account of all the unfounded criticism of the Danish language and number system, I have decided to help any potential non-Scandinavians reading this thread who may be having trouble deciding on which of the Nordic languages they should chose to learn on account of being too lazy and stupid to learn all of them.

A guide to the Danish number system versus those other languages ~

NON-DANISH

'Ti' means ten and that is basically it. Twenty is two-ten, to-ti. Thirty is tree-ten, tre-ti, and so on and so forth all the way up to ninety. Pretty similar to the number system that you are already familiar with in your language of whores and merchants. A number system based on ten, really? Uh, we use our fingers to count with or whatever. Do you really want to let base biology dictate your number system? Whatever.

DANISH

An exciting, mysterious language and maybe slightly more convoluted so if you're a big babby watch out.

'Ti' still means ten. Stay calm. Twenty is 'tyve', but 'tyve' isn't always twenty, it can be ten, too. Thirty is 'tredieve', I shouldn't have to explain this. GOD! Anyway, that was the easy part.

Forty is fyrre, or more correct, fyrretyve. It sounds like 'four twenties', but it really means 'four tens'. An easy mistake to make if you should somehow be confused by the word 'tyve' now meaning 'ten' instead of 'twenty'. Idiot.

Fifty is halvtreds and sixty is treds. This may trip you up because 'halv' means 'half' and 'halfsixty' is not half as much as sixty. This is because halvtreds is short for haldtredsindstyvende. 'sind' is to multiply and 'tyvende' is a bunch of twenties. Remember how 'tyve' is twenty? Remember how 'tyve' is sometimes twenty? Well, it is now. Anyway, just forget about the number forty. Once you have forgotten about forty, then fifty, or 'halvtredsindstyvende', basically means 'three minus one half multiplied by twenty', and there you have it, fifty. Or as we call it in everyday Danish, halvtreds, halfsixty.

Sixty is 'treds' which is short for 'tredsindstyvende'. That means three times twenty. Uh, Danish is so hard. How do I multiply with twenty? Twenty is twice as much as ten and I only have ten fingers?? ~ A swede.

Next up is seventy which is 'halvfjerds', or as I am sure you have figured out, 'halvfjerdsindstyvende. If you're wondering how much a 'fjerds' is since 'halvfjerds' is apparently half a 'fjerds' then just stop. You're making things needlessly complicated. There is no such thing as 'fjerds' like there is a 'treds' to 'halvtreds' Don't just go making poo poo up. 'Halvfjerdsindstyvende' means 'four minus a half multiplied by twenty. Adds up to seventy, doesn't it? You're going to need 7 swedes to count this high.

Eighty is 'firs' or 'firsindstyvende, which means four times twenty. Remember forty? No? Well, good.

Ninenty is 'halvfems' for short and 'halvfemsindstyvende' all proper like. 'Halv' still means 'half' and 'fem' means five so we've got five minus a half, and you then multiply it by twenty because twenty is better than ten except when twenty is ten because of forty.

Easy.