Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Zoey's Extraordinary Playlist is a show airing on NBC. It didn't have a thread, so I am making one. Season 1 aired in early 2020, and season 2 will be starting on January 5th.

Here are all the rousing endorsements I could find from this forum:

quote:

I just got an ad on YouTube that, if not skipped, would auto-play the entire first episode of some new NBC show. It was 43 minutes long

quote:

the show is a network exec’s version of a Crazy Ex-Girlfriend knock off (in that it’s an hour long single-camera ensemble musical dramedy with a woman main character) but also with telepathy involved somehow

quote:

I was flabbergasted. a loving 43 minute ad, and they wonder why people install adblockers.

And the standard description from the internet:

quote:

After an unusual event, Zoey Clarke, a whip-smart computer coder forging her way in San Francisco, suddenly starts to hear the innermost wants, thoughts and desires of the people around her through popular songs.

The characters and cast (spoiler tagged for status at end of season 1)
Zoey (Jane Levy)

The main character. She works as a coder as SPRQPoint, a tech company in the Bay Area, and is balancing work and family issues. She is charmingly awkward most of the time.
Manager of Engineering for the 4th floor at SPRQPoint. Still in an unresolved love triangle.

Mo (Alex Newell)

Zoey's vocally-inclined neighbor who is a DJ and also the building super (for the reduced rent).
Back together with Eddie. Still Mo.

Max (Skylar Astin)

Zoey's best friend. He is also a coder at SPRQPoint and started there five years ago at the same time as Zoey.
Unemployed, looking for what to do next. Still in love with Zoey

Simon (John Clarence Stewart)

Some sort of marketing executive at SPRQPoint. He wears a suit and only recently joined the company. He has a joie de vivre that many may never have.
Not engaged anymore. Still wears a suit. Still attracted to Zoey

Joan (Lauren Graham)

Zoey's boss at SPRQPoint. She is prickly.
Getting promoted to acting CEO while Danny Michael Davis goes away. Divorced, and dropped Leif

Tobin & Leif (Kapil Talwalkar & Michael Thomas Grant)

Rounding out the recurring characters from SPRQPoint, these two are also coders. You will probably want to punch them at various points.
Leif: Heartbroken. Tobin: About the same, but with some character growth to be less punchworthy

Maggie and Mitch (Mary Steenburgen & Peter Gallagher)

Zoey's parents. Mitch has progressive supranuclear palsy, and Maggie takes care of him full time. Their story is based on the family history of the creator, Austin Winsberg.
Maggie: Was back to doing the flower thing, but now, who knows. Mitch: Dead.

David & Emily (Andrew Leeds & Alice Lee)

Zoey's brother and pregnant sister-in-law, both lawyers. They exist and are in the show and there are no good Google image results that have them both in it.
Still expecting a baby.

The show is filled with well-choreographed song and dance, often done in continuous shots. There are usually 3+ songs per-episode. Not all the actors are professional singers, and while I'm sure there is a large amount of production done to make them sound pretty good, they do not seem to overproduce the songs to pitch-perfection. Regardless of questionable marketing tactics last February, if you like singing & dancing, or you can tolerate singing & dancing and like drama/comedy, you should give it a try.

If you didn't catch it the first time around, the episodes are available on Hulu (subscription), NBC, and Peacock (free). Season 1 has 12 episodes, each an hour, so you are not too far behind! As mentioned previously, season 2 starts airing on January 5th on NBC, and who knows, maybe as a pre-roll ad on YouTube, as well.

They must have some sort of software consultant on the show, because a lot of the software development technobabble is more accurate than I would expect of a show that uses a tech company as a setting, and not a main part of the story.

Let me know if you want me to add something to the post, or change formatting. I don't think I've done an OP for a show before, so I know I've made mistakes.

carticket fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Nov 27, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

I discovered this show in the middle of pandemic lockdown, and it was really the first new show that I watched since lockdown started. Like many people, I spent a lot of time alone, and this show was a little bit of "normal" (as normal as a show about a woman who has people sing their feelings at her can be) making for a very nice break from reality.

I have yet to come across anyone in the wild that has also watched this show, with the exception of two friends I introduced to the show (who both really enjoyed it). I don't know who is watching it, but there must have been enough since NBC renewed it.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
this show had one of the most gorgeous women in the world singing Say My Name and I will always love it for that

https://youtu.be/K8M_G8oHWkA

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Escobarbarian posted:

this show had one of the most gorgeous women in the world singing Say My Name and I will always love it for that

https://youtu.be/K8M_G8oHWkA

Blocked in my country? I thought this was America!

So now I looked it up on Hulu. Episode 6 at 28:25.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

I updated some info in the OP (in spoiler tags). I figure this is kind of a thread for anyone who wants to watch Season 1 and then Season 2 when it arrives.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Season 2 promo: https://youtu.be/nQEJMBmS2ic

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Never heard of this show. Looks kinda nice.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 10:41 on Jan 10, 2021

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

The season has premiered. I can't quite tune NBC so I must wait.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

It's up on Hulu now. I'll probably watch it over the weekend. Unfortunately, my news feed already served me up some casting spoilers in their headlines. :argh:

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

oh jay posted:

It's up on Hulu now. I'll probably watch it over the weekend. Unfortunately, my news feed already served me up some casting spoilers in their headlines. :argh:

Spoiler: can still make me tear up.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Good premiere but drat I hate that Jet song

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!
I’m glad this show is back, especially for Mo calling out Zoey and her ‘problems’.

Oh and the fact they were watching House Hunters. :perfect:

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Andrew_1985 posted:

I’m glad this show is back, especially for Mo calling out Zoey and her ‘problems’.

Oh and the fact they were watching House Hunters. :perfect:

What you don't get 6 weeks off when your father dies then get offered a huge promotion upon your return? It seems odd she is even doing well at work considering she seemingly spends most of her time having office relationship drama.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Seeing the dad in those videos hosed me up real good.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I had a paragraph typed down about how I like this show, but feel like Zoe is a bit too flawless for my taste, but than my browser ate it up. Can't really bother to retype it.
Anyway, the music renditions of this show are quite good.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

cant cook creole bream posted:

I had a paragraph typed down about how I like this show, but feel like Zoe is a bit too flawless for my taste, but than my browser ate it up. Can't really bother to retype it.
Anyway, the music renditions of this show are quite good.

I'm a shy nerdy girl who hates people, but also wakes up looking flawless and has tons of friends and a constant stream of hot guys going after me, I also get constant promotions at work. I do like how they called that out a little bit this episode.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
Honestly, my favorite episode was definitely the one where she temporarily snaps and involuntarily starts singing all the time. On the one hand it was cool that Jane Levy had a chance to sing for a change, rather than just standing around as the straight person and they stole the good Crazy Ex-Girlfriend joke, where, her actual singing voice is way worse than what's in her head. But mostly, that lapse of insanity made her a bit less perfect for a while. I don't really watch shows to follow some sort of idealized character, who keeps making everyone around them slightly more of a better person by sheer virtue and a literal magic power.
It even extends to her family. The show goes out of it's way to establish what a good person her brother is, since he's a public defense lawyer. But at the same time, he's also loaded, because his hot wife earns the big money defending companies. At least he had some character flaws.

I wonder where the overall arc of this show is going this season, because the dad was quite of a central plot point and I imagine that would have to be reduced at some point now. I hope they have planned something more substantial than just deciding which boy she likes.

Victorkm
Nov 25, 2001

I really liked the first season of this. Didnt know it had started again so thanks for that!

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

There was an episode tonight. I suspect 95% of all posters in this thread (which rounds up to 100%) watch it on streaming.

Shrimpy
May 18, 2004

Sir, I'm going to need to see your ticket.
The most glaring issue with Season 1 was that when they finally sang The Boy Is Mine, it was Renee Elise Goldsberry and Lauren Graham and that is quite the vocal talent disparity..

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
there’s a musical scene in this episode that is the funniest poo poo

Victorkm
Nov 25, 2001

Escobarbarian posted:

there’s a musical scene in this episode that is the funniest poo poo

That was pretty hilarious.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
I'm not into music like, at all, so this probably isn't the show for me, but if I was any T.V. network I'd be immediately sending the people behind this show a note saying that they need to make their high-concept telepathy thing not involve paying music licensing fees on basically every episode. I imagine it's just lots of covers/the actor's voice singing songs?

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

So, what you're saying is that you'd immediately cancel the show?

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

NowonSA posted:

I'm not into music like, at all, so this probably isn't the show for me, but if I was any T.V. network I'd be immediately sending the people behind this show a note saying that they need to make their high-concept telepathy thing not involve paying music licensing fees on basically every episode. I imagine it's just lots of covers/the actor's voice singing songs?

I guess it's good that you're not in charge then.

Victorkm
Nov 25, 2001

Anyway it's more empathy than telepathy, really.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

I'm trying to come up with a good baseball analogy for XMen meets The Voice superpowers, but I'm at a loss.

Stabitha
Mar 11, 2005

You lookin' at me? Don't.
I’m not sure where they’re going with the Aiden character but that grungy cover of Sex & Candy was hot, and I like it better than the original. I want to hear the whole song now.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

It didn't sound too far off from the original to me, but I also haven't heard the original in however many years.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Since the last post we’ve had a pretty bad drug trip episode and a pretty good race episode. Loved Tightrope at the end of the latest.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

I haven't watched the last two. Watching stuff week to week versus on demand (not even necessarily binge) results in a very different experience.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Caught up. I was surprised that Aiden wasn't a love interest, just some guy for Zoey to get high with.

And yes, Tightrope was good.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Just doing a monthly check in to verify that this show still exists. This past week's episode was good.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

I'm a few episodes behind. I actually took a break to finish the last season of Crazy Ex-Girlfriend. Skylar Astin is better in Zoey.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I’ve listened to that little song the Australian guy sang about wanting to gently caress Zoey at her birthday party so many times

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

I just really enjoyed how awkward I knew it was going to end up once her brother realized what was going on.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Incidentally, they have the songs up on at least some of the streaming services. (Apple Music at least.) They aren’t extended versions or anything though so an episode might have five songs for a total of eight minutes. But still neat.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Finished up the season. Interesting cliffhanger that could mean that Jane Levy gets to participate in more numbers going forward.

The first day at Sprq Point episode was a highlight.

Mo is exhausting to watch in half the episodes.

Hopefully we get another season.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Ratings were slightly up on season 1, so I’m hoping for a renewal too. The twist was good and hopefully we’re done with the fuckin love triangle bullshit now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Never mind! Cancelled. Being shopped around so we’ll see