Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

FeyerbrandX posted:

I remember her being incredibly violent and incredibly dumb naive or literal.

Now that I think of it, she's Drax from Guardians of the Galaxy, isn't she?

Yes. Yes she is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Actually, I respectfully disagree with you there. For as obviously flawed as this game is, there ARE a lot of really good things about it. The presentation and atmosphere, for example, are the most immediate things. No other Yu-Gi-Oh game goes out of the way to really make
Here's the game's most infamous boss! Beaten with nary a sweat!

Part 7: Breath of Fire II Walkthrough—There's Something Here (Terapin)

THUMBNAIL ART BY: Merinid_DE
MERINID-DE's ART GALLERY: https://www.deviantart.com/merinid-de
Special thanks for giving me permission to use it!

ENEMY AI:
Creons/Godius:
1/256 Defend
75% chance of scoring a 2nd hit in the same round

Villagers:
Do Nothing

Chirorus/Tyrols:
Always Attack

TERAPIN/GONCHARO AI:
Attack All (12.5%)
Attack One (25%)
Fire Breath (25%)
Brainwave (37.5%)

FORMATION MULTIPLIERS (with 4 characters):

NORMAL:
1st Slot—130% Damage Dealt & Taken, 130% Critical Hit Rate
2nd Slot—95% Damage Dealt, 90% Damage Taken, 90% Critical Hit Rate
3rd Slot—90% Damage Dealt, 85% Damage Taken, 85% Critical Hit Rate
4th Slot—75% Damage Dealt, 75% Damage Taken, 80% Critical Hit Rate

SCRAMBLE/SCATTER:
1st Slot—120% Damage Dealt & Taken, 115% Critical Hit Rate
2nd Slot—120% Damage Dealt & Taken, 115% Critical Hit Rate
3rd Slot—100% Damage Dealt & Taken, 100% Critical Hit Rate
4th Slot—95% Damage Dealt, 90% Damage Taken, 90% Critical Hit Rate

DEFENSIVE:
1st Slot—100% Damage Dealt & Taken, 100% Critical Hit Rate
2nd Slot—83% Damage Dealt, 80% Damage Taken, 85% Critical Hit Rate
3rd Slot—83% Damage Dealt, 80% Damage Taken, 85% Critical Hit Rate
4th Slot—75% Damage Dealt & Taken, 80% Critical Hit Rate

PARALLEL:
1st Slot—120% Damage Dealt & Taken, 115% Critical Hit Rate
2nd Slot—100% Damage Dealt & Taken, 100% Critical Hit Rate
3rd Slot—90% Damage Dealt, 85% Damage Taken, 85% Critical Hit Rate
4th Slot—83% Damage Dealt, 80% Damage Taken, 85% Critical Hit Rate

CURE 2/REJUVINATE VS. RENEW/RAISE DEAD (Summary):
Raise Dead is inconsistent in its chances, redundant due to Rand's Wake command, and obsoleted once you're able to buy LifePLs/Ammonias.

Cure 2 is always useful, in comparison. Plus, Nina can regenerate AP via her Will command.

THE ROUTE:

Capitan:
Walk into the Well with full HP & AP, as well as x45 Herbs
Use Defensive Formation against Godius, and have Nina Defend. Heal Ryu if he’s 40 HP or less, Sten if 34 HP or less, and Lin & Nina if they’re so much as scratched

---------------------------------------------------------
VS. Goncharo (1300 HP): Normal (Defensive when healing)
Everyone either attacks, or heals when necessary. Have Sten Herb if only one needs it; otherwise, have him use Spark while Nina uses Cyclone.
Nina’s slower than Goncharo, so don’t go out of your way to keep her alive. Have her heal herself, and just hope Goncharo never does x2 AoEs
—Goncharo can kill with crits, but never fear; They only have a 1.5% chance of happening, and you can still win even with just two attackers.

Get the Vitalizer and Amulet on the way out
Lie to Ray about saving everyone, so you can get Rejuvenate on Nina
SELL: Amulet
BUY: x6 Smoke Bombs and as many Wisdom Seeds as possible
Equip a bunch of weak armor to Ryu & Sten, then deathwarp back to Township.

Township:
Walk in and out to finish renovations
Give Rejuvinate to Nina
Make a Ryu/Rand/Nina/Sten party

TRANSLATION MISHAPS:

Control code entry mistakes (note that I don't know if this is the point she actually says this in the old translation).

Fionordequester fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Jan 25, 2021

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
The water mechanics on the well confuses me. The whole place would be flooded and the turtles would have no reason to be there. Those turtles would only be there because angry bug plugged up a hole where the water comes in. There is more and it would be thinking too much about a rushed game.

Are you avoiding fighting everything because it wouldn't get you a level? These physical encounters look several times more lucrative than the randoms.

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Actually, I respectfully disagree with you there. For as obviously flawed as this game is, there ARE a lot of really good things about it. The presentation and atmosphere, for example, are the most immediate things. No other Yu-Gi-Oh game goes out of the way to really make

Scalding Coffee posted:

Are you avoiding fighting everything because it wouldn't get you a level? These physical encounters look several times more lucrative than the randoms.

They're not giving as much as you think they are. I never explained this, so, here goes:

When the game says a Creon gave 240 EXP, it's actually just 60 EXP for each of your 4 people.

The reason the game does this is because it gives bonus EXP to characters who are 5 or more levels below Ryu. The table is as follows...

quote:

0-4 Levels lower: 0% Bonus EXP
5-9 Levels lower: 8% Bonus EXP
10-14 Levels lower: 16% Bonus EXP
15-19 Levels lower: 24% Bonus EXP
20-29 Levels lower: 32% Bonus EXP
30-39 Levels lower: 40% Bonus EXP
40+ Levels lower: 56% Bonus EXP

It's...not a whole lot. Certainly not enough to justify the confusion... But it's there.

TL;DR, you're only getting a fourth of what the game says you are. The encounters don't give enough to be worth your time.

Fionordequester fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Dec 16, 2020

mastersord
Feb 15, 2001

Gold Card Putty Fan Club
Member Since 2017!
Soiled Meat

Fionordequester posted:

They're not giving as much as you think they are. I never explained this, so, here goes:

When the game says a Creon gave 240 EXP, it's actually just 60 EXP for each of your 4 people.

The reason the game does this is because it gives bonus EXP to characters who are 5 or more levels below Ryu. The table is as follows...

It's...not a whole lot. Certainly not enough to justify the confusion... But it's there.

TL;DR, you're only getting a fourth of what the game says you are. The encounters don't give enough to be worth your time.

But you are very under-leveled. I decided to play along with you last night and in 3 hours, Ryu is now level 10 and Kat/Lin is level 7 or 8. I'm currently looking for Nina and the magic academy. Grinding makes an extreme difference. I haven't had to heal much until Bunyan/Baba put me in my place. At level 10, I took him down in about 3-4 hits over 2 rounds

Now don't get me wrong. I think playing in your manner is far more strategic than when I first played through this game back in 1999 and I really want to see how you deal with the mid and late game, but I just want to point out to anyone whose never played BoF 2 that you don't need to plan out every battle and spend inordinate amounts of time healing everyone up and topping off HP in the early game if you spend some time raising levels. You'd probably end up grinding close to my level if you don't use a walk through or save states or just from back-tracking when you die numerous times (banking your money is really important!), or maybe I'm just bad at finding where to go next. Also, if you get good at the hunting mini-game, you should be able to raise 1000z in roasts in 15-20 battles which can take 20 minutes or so.

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

mastersord posted:

But you are very under-leveled. I decided to play along with you last night and in 3 hours, Ryu is now level 10 and Kat/Lin is level 7 or 8. I'm currently looking for Nina and the magic academy. Grinding makes an extreme difference. I haven't had to heal much until Bunyan/Baba put me in my place. At level 10, I took him down in about 3-4 hits over 2 rounds

Hmm... I suppose I could point out, next episode, that you could consider fighting the Creons, and skipping the death warp strats, if you want some extra levels. That, or play the GBA version (x2 EXP and x3 Gold).

mastersord posted:

I think playing in your manner is far more strategic than when I first played through this game back in 1999 and I really want to see how you deal with the mid and late game...

Indeed. My philosophy is that my approach would make for a better walkthrough, using strats that work even when you're under-leveled. That said...

mastersord posted:

[Y]ou don't need to plan out every battle and spend inordinate amounts of time healing everyone up and topping off HP in the early game...

I've been wondering, lately, whether or not you need to see me healing up between fights. I edited out repeat fights, but kept the menuing, so that the music wasn't skipping between fades. Would you all prefer I fade through all the times I use Herbs, Cure, and etc.? Shave a few seconds here and there all throughout the videos?

Again, you'd hear the music fade in and out, too, so, that's something to consider, too.

mastersord posted:

Also, if you get good at the hunting mini-game, you should be able to raise 1000z in roasts in 15-20 battles which can take 20 minutes or so.

It's also very easy to do this at the start, where you have that Very High encounter rate I mentioned, and Bosch with his crossbow. So you're right; That's absolutely something you could do.

Don't ever be afraid to share observations like that; It gives me more things to consider talking about :) .

Fionordequester fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Dec 17, 2020

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I watch all videos at double speed, so it won't matter to me.

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Scalding Coffee posted:

I watch all videos at double speed, so it won't matter to me.

What I find amusing about that is that you can (presumably) still understand what I'm saying. I really DO talk slowly, don't I :mmmhmm: ?

Fionordequester fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Dec 17, 2020

mastersord
Feb 15, 2001

Gold Card Putty Fan Club
Member Since 2017!
Soiled Meat
The healing stuff I was referring to was during the Terrapin fight where you spent several rounds just healing everyone up. I just played it today and not only was I stupid enough that I went in without any revives, but Nina was picked off by that ant-monster on the island on the way there, and I ended up spending 4-5 rounds burning through herbs and trying to stay topped off. Ryu was level 13 and everyone else was level 11. I lost Sten right after that fight and limped back to the inn. I have to admit that I was wrong and you were right.

I don't mind that you show that you top off between fights. It's not detracting much. You can grind off-camera and just summarize it if you need to. It's not that the actions are boring or anything. I meant that other players shouldn't have to expect that they would have to manage their resources as tightly as you.

Back when I first played this game, I was using an emulator on a windows 2000 PC at college. I was frame-skipping like crazy and would grind 10 levels every chapter in the course of a few hours. I'm not doing that this time because I think it detracts from the real experience of the game. I got into a weird habit of not using attack spells because AP was a precious resource.

Also, are you doing anything to make everyone walk faster? I'm playing on my Switch and the characters walk pretty slowly.

mastersord fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Dec 18, 2020

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

mastersord posted:

I have to admit that I was wrong and you were right.

Even so, I'm sorry to hear that happened.

I can see why you'd want to find a faster way, too.
I just don't know how else you would feasibly stay ahead of ~40 Damage AoEs :(: .

mastersord posted:

Also, are you doing anything to make everyone walk faster? I'm playing on my Switch and the characters walk pretty slowly.

The Retranslation and GBA versions enabled the Dash feature.

The official SNES versions have it disabled, unless you enter the debug menu via Game Genie.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I bet there is a valid reason to make the game take longer if running was disabled, but people finishing the game faster would return it sooner and not pay for another rental.

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Scalding Coffee posted:

I bet there is a valid reason to make the game take longer if running was disabled, but people finishing the game faster would return it sooner and not pay for another rental.

I can think of a few reasons...

1) The character models sort of get stuck in a "running pose" if they stop at the right time.

2) It can make the gates open in the wrong order in the Witch's Tower, since some of the switches are really close to each other. You can step on a 2nd switch before the gates have time to open or close.

3) It completely breaks the puzzle in SkyCave, since the boulders only move at walking speed.

These're all very minor things, though. So minor, that the GBA version didn't bother fixing 'em.

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

And now for an...interesting...diversion.

Part 8: Breath of Fire II—Awakening (Shamans & Dragons)

THUMBNAIL ART BY: Chiakimi
TWITTER: https://twitter.com/chiakimi_
[Special thanks for giving me permission to use it!]

CORRECTION ON BOMB SEEDS:
The Pollen/Bomb Seeds' chance of using Flame/Flameblast is actually less than 1%. I forgot to account for it's 75% chance to use BuildUp in the episode itself.

EQUIPMENT BEFORE NYMPHO'S TOWER:
Ryu: Longsword, Ranger Suit, BronzeSH/Escutcheon, & Bronze Helm
Sten: Silver Knife, Chain Mail, BronzeSH/Escutcheon, & Bronze Helm
Rand: Bare Knuckle, SuedeAR/Tanned Armor, IronAR/Iron Band, & Bandana
Nina: FalseRG/Ring, Bum'sCL/Clothes, IronAR/Iron Band, & GlassRG/Glass Helm

ITEMS BEFORE NYMPHO'S TOWER:
x6 Smoke Bombs
x3+ Wisdom Seeds (more is preferred)

ABOUT THE CARPENTERS:
You may choose only one of the following:

1) The cooking carpenter (always available)
2) The treehouse carpenter (requires you to save 3-4 villagers last episode)
3) The Arabian carpenter (requires you to save 5-6 villagers last episode)

CHOICE OF CARPENTER:
The cooking carpenter (far-right house)

ENEMY AI:
S.Idol/Stone Faces (Weak to fire)
65/128 defend
Otherwise, 129/256 ColdBrth, 127/256 attack

Pollens/Bomb Seeds (Weak to ice)
If used BuildUp last turn, attack
Otherwise, 3/4 Buildup
Otherwise, 1/64 defend
Otherwise, 33/256 cast spell, 223/256 attack

Spell list: 75% Spark, 25% Flame

Stamen/Androeciums (Weak to fire)
1/64 defend
Otherwise, 129/256 SwtBrth, 127/256 attack

H.Fly/Beezlebubs (Weak to wind)
1/64 defend
Otherwise, 129/256 cast spell, 127/256 attack

Spell list: 75% Psn.Atck, 25% Curse

DRAGON DAMAGE (EXACT):
Fract = [ ([current AP/2]*256) / [max AP/2] ]

Squared = [ fract^2 / 256 ]

If squared is less than 1, squared = 1

Damage = [ squared * (base power) / 256 ]
[Base power of all Puppy/Whelp spells is 256]

DRAGON DAMAGE (SIMPLIFIED):
Damage = Base Power * (Current AP / Max AP) ²

THE ROUTE:

Overworld:
Run & Roll on back to Capitan

Capitan:
Save your game (YAY!! You can save your game again!)
Talk to Sanamo to head to hut
Snag the Ammonia from the closet before entering the circle
Walk back to Capitan...or die on the way
Get the Wisdom Seed
Talk to the first guy you see to instantly head back to Township.

Township:
Perform ANOTHER death warp.
Kill Rand with the three melee guys (including himself), while Nina Defends. Kill Nina. Kill Ryu next, then Sten.

Capitan:
Choose the carpenter in the far right house!
Snag the Guts Pill in said carpenter’s cabinet while you’re at it
—Keep these; They're incredible for cooking Gold Nuggets later.
Head on over to the forest and talk to Tapeta

Overworld: (Defensive Formation)
Auto, then make the party Ryu/Sten/Rand/Nina
Auto your items, Sort Smoke Bombs to the top
Roll on down to the campground to safety save
—Bomb Seeds, and the boss of Nympho's Tower, can troll you with obscenely bad luck. x2 Stone Faces can also troll, if you don't have enough Wisdom Seeds to splurge on OHKOing either one with a Fire Whelp.
Roll on up to Nympho’s Tower
—Flare on Androceiums and Frost on Bomb Seeds (Bomb Seeds are a OHKO)
—Use Fire Whelps and spells on x2 Stone Faces, if you have more than x3 Wisdom Seeds (or are close to camp). Otherwise, just Flee, as they have only 1 Vigor

TRANSLATION MISHAPS:

The old localization can never decide between "Joining" or "Uniting".

Why thanks you.

TRANSLATION SUCCESSES:

Well, I'll give 'em this; They retained the French accent. Speech patterns like that often get lost, in fan translations.

Fionordequester fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Jan 27, 2021

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Dragon power looks awfully strong and boring at the same time. A one hit nuke that sucks down items to keep using.

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Scalding Coffee posted:

Dragon power looks awfully strong and boring at the same time. A one hit nuke that sucks down items to keep using.

It uh, gets worse, if you choose to make it so...

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

The next update will be either today or tomorrow; In the meantime, Merinid_DE gave me permission to share his Terapin artwork, so... Check it out :) !

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
That thing is really impressively ugly I have to admit.

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

RabidWeasel posted:

That thing is really impressively ugly I have to admit.

Indeed. No wonder Ray didn't want to fight this thing :mmmhmm: .

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

What perils await in the Witch's Tower? Stay tuned and find out!

Part 9: Breath of Fire II Walkthrough—Cold and Dark (Witch's Tower)

PARTY:
Ryu/Sten/Rand/Nina

EQUIPMENT BEFORE NYMPHO'S TOWER:
Ryu: Longsword, Ranger Suit, BronzeSH/Escutcheon, & Bronze Helm
Sten: Silver Knife, Chain Mail, BronzeSH/Escutcheon, & Bronze Helm
Rand: Bare Knuckle, SuedeAR/Tanned Armor, IronAR/Iron Band, & Bandana
Nina: FalseRG/Ring, Bum'sCL/Clothes, IronAR/Iron Band, & GlassRG/Glass Helm

ITEMS BEFORE NYMPHO'S TOWER:
x2-6 Smoke Bombs (save at least two for the top floor)
x3+ Wisdom Seeds (more is preferred)

ENEMY AI:
H.Fly/Beezlebubs (Weak to wind)
1/64 defend

Spell list: 75% Poison Attack, 25% Curse

Magician Mummies (Weak to fire & holy)
1/64 defend

Spell list: Spark/Flare, Cold/Frost

Like many spellcaster enemies, M.Mummy is intended to just attack when its AP is 12.5% or lower. However, this check is bugged, so this will never happen.

Monopeds/Fachens (Weak to cold; No resistance to status ailments)
1/64 defend, 63/64 attack

These have a 50% critical hit rate.

Ogres/Orcs
1/64 defend
Otherwise, 65/256 Cure 1/Heal, 191/256 attack

These have a 3/8 chance to Counter-Attack

Seenates/Acorn Knights
1/256 defend, 63/256 attack once, 3/4 attack twice

WHY SESSO THE WATER SHAMAN ISN'T USEFUL:
The target's Wisdom mostly decides its resistance to status ailments (including death). The caster's Wisdom simply modifies that chance, and there are steep diminishing returns from where Nina & Spar start.

In addition, there are multiple pieces of armor that give immunity to status ailments by the enemies, as all of these spells (except Death) fall under the Holy element. The Breath & Life Armor are the two most prominent examples of this. So, in the rare cases that they're a threat, we'll be prepared.

On a side-note, there's also a character named Spar/Aspara who gets more out of Sesso than almost anyone. She boosts ALL of his stats (besides HP) by 30%... However, he's not going to be used often enough to make Sesso worth it.

WISDOM INTERVALS:
0: 0-16
1: 17-32 (Jean starts here)
2: 33-48
3: 49-80 (Nina & Spar start here)
4: 81-112
5: 113-160
6: 161-204
7: 205-255

VULNERABILITY TO AILMENTS (Enemies):
0: 100% (Nympho & Fachens are here)
1: ~62%
2: ~51%
3: ~40%
4: ~29%
5: ~18%
6: ~7%
7: 0%

CASTER ACCURACY BONUS (The player's casting the spell):
0: 8%
1: 16% (Jean starts here)
2: 30%
3: 40% (Nina & Spar start here)
4: 50%
5: 60%
6: 70%
7: 80%

VULNERABILITY TO AILMENTS (Players):
0: 100%
1: ~62%
2: ~50%
3: ~40%
4: ~34%
5: ~31%
6: ~28%
7: 25%

CASTER ACCURACY BONUS (The enemy's casting the spell):
0: 8%
1: 16%
2: 32%
3: 48%
4: 64%
5: 80%
6: 90%
7: Always hit

SUCCESS RATE OF NINA'S WILL (based on Wisdom):
0: ~45%
1: 50%
2: ~56%
3: ~62%
4: ~65%
5: ~71%
6: 75%
7: ~78%

THE ROUTE:

Nympho’s Tower:
Keep stepping on Nympho's iron plate with Ryu.

--------------------------------
ENEMY ENCOUNTERS (Defensive)
Magician Mummies:
Can do 30-40 Damage with spells, but only once, and you can blunt damage with Defend. Sten OHKO, so just have him attack. Alternatively, you let one blow its load, then Nina regenerate MP.

X1-3 Beezlebubs:
Nina Defends, while the others attack

x4-5 Beezlebubs:
Nina or Rand use Thunder/Jolt, while the others Defend

Fachens:
Nina Frosts while the others Defend. Can also land Blunt and stall for MP, since they have no resistance to status ailments.

Ogres:
You can land Blunt on one and stall for MP, if you like (~71% accurate)

X1 Acorn Knight:
Save your Whelp spell for x2 Acorn Knights or the boss, but otherwise, use your strongest attacks.

x2 Acorn Knights:
Have Ryu OHKO one of them with a Whelp spell in Round 1, and use your strongest attacks on the other.
--------------------------------

2nd Floor:
Use Smoke Bomb after 4 steps

3rd Floor:
Use Smoke Bomb when about to emerge from narrow passage, then take the 4th platform from the right

2nd Floor:
Snag all chests, except the far middle-left one, the far middle-bottom one, the far middle-top one, and the one just below the far-middle top one

3rd Floor:
Take the far left platform

4th Floor:
Use Smoke Bomb after going STRAIGHT down from stairs, step on the middle of three plates, step on plate directly upper-right from the lower-left chest, then step on the middle of three plates. Snag the Silk Glove, use a Smoke Bomb shortly after, then snag the Warlock Ring & Sage’s Robe (equip Silk Glove & Sage's Robe to Nina when convenient). Step on the nearest plate to proceed.

5th Floor:
Use Smoke Bomb, then ride the left platform for a Wisdom Brace,

VS. Nympho (550 HP): Defensive

Turn 1:
Ryu uses Whelp, Sten Simoons, Rand uses Wisdom Seed on Ryu, then Nina uses Slow

Turn 2:
Ryu uses another Whelp

5th Floor:
Use Smoke Bomb, take right platform for Wisdom Fruit, and drop off!

Overworld:
Walk back to Tapeta and kiss him with Nina
CHANGE PARTY: Ryu/Sten/Nina/Tapeta party

TRANSLATION MISHAPS:

Mundane grammar gaffe

Why not just "ribbit"?

...No you're not.

Stupid......?

Fionordequester fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Dec 23, 2020

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
I think you might have uploaded the "no voiceover" version of the latest update twice?

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

RabidWeasel posted:

I think you might have uploaded the "no voiceover" version of the latest update twice?

...Urgh... You're right. More specifically, I forgot to change the audio option in VirtualDub to "Audio from other file".

Will fix as soon as possible!

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I was expecting that kind of way of fighting the next boss. Old school Ryu is back.

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Indeed. Anyway, the commentated version just now got uploaded! Check it out :) !

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."
I’m interested in reading how you end up going through a good chunk of this game, I never got to beat it because... spoilers just in case The lack of agility on everyone ends up being a huge problem starting around where you’re at now. It got harder and harder to keep up with recovery and I couldn’t just grind levels for higher agility :(

Armitage fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Dec 27, 2020

Luninareph
Jan 12, 2019

Why, no, I wouldn't hurt a (butter)fly. Why do you ask?

Fionordequester posted:

What perils await in the Witch's Tower? Stay tuned and find out!

I love this Queen Beryl banner XD

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
Man, this is a fascinating look into how someone else would play BoFII.

I loved this game to death and after finishing it multiple times I've committed most of it to muscle memory, so I can just start it up today and sleepwalk through most of it without a single thought going through my head.

That said, I tend to be ridiculously over-leveled sooner or later, thanks to having a very bad sense of directions. Even today, I tend to walk around in circles a lot, and all those unnecessary random battles add up a lot over time

On the money chest just before you fight Lin... I never even considered you could just not open it before talking to the big guy. I always took the money, ran out and deposited everything before coming back and triggering the story. (Rand only shows up if you try to leave the room through the upper door. If you open the chest and walk back, nothing is actually stopping you. I always try to leave a couple dozen zennies so Rand can "buy" the antidotes, though. :v: )

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Armitage posted:

I’m interested in reading how you end up going through a good chunk of this game, I never got to beat it because... spoilers just in case The lack of agility on everyone ends up being a huge problem starting around where you’re at now. It got harder and harder to keep up with recovery and I couldn’t just grind levels for higher agility :(

I can definitely see that being a problem. What was your main party, out of curiosity?

Luninareph posted:

I love this Queen Beryl banner XD

:mmmhmm:

Yeah, I had this funny feeling that Sailor Moon might give me a pink-haired sorceress to put on my thumbnail, and, suuure enough, there she was!

Libluini posted:

That said, I tend to be ridiculously over-leveled sooner or later, thanks to having a very bad sense of directions. Even today, I tend to walk around in circles a lot, and all those unnecessary random battles add up a lot over time

Indeed. To be fair, the game doesn't always give you a lot to go on, either :P !

Libluini posted:

On the money chest just before you fight Lin... I never even considered you could just not open it before talking to the big guy. I always took the money, ran out and deposited everything before coming back and triggering the story. (Rand only shows up if you try to leave the room through the upper door. If you open the chest and walk back, nothing is actually stopping you. I always try to leave a couple dozen zennies so Rand can "buy" the antidotes, though. :v: )

Hmm... I might wanna update Part 4 with that info, now that you bring it up... Thanks!

Anyway, here's a Bonus episode, on all the plethora of ways you can crack the game wide open, as well as the ground rules for which of these I am, and am not, allowing myself!

Bonus #2: Breath of Fire II Walkthrough—How to Break the Game, Part 1

LOW% BAN LIST:
1) 2nd Tier Dragons (Requires a Strategy Guide)
2) All Tenants (Permanently Missable)
3) The Secret Character (Only vaguely hinted at via NPCs in a secluded location, and Watts—a tenant you'll probably lock yourself out of. Knowledge of BoF1 is preferable.)
4) The Water, Earth, Holy, & Devil Shamans (Optional; Will still collect and show off, however)
5) Chop-Chop/Slice & Boombada (Optional... Though I never use 'em anyway)

STILL ALLOWED:
1) Kaiser Dragon (Required to progress the plot)
2) The Fire & Wind Shamans (Required to progress the plot)
3) Cooking Carpenter (The only carpenter who's always available)

TENANTS RECRUITED:
1) Remington (Capitan Inn)
2) Beretta (Windia Armory)
3) Heckler (Leftmost house in HomeTown/Newhaven, *before* expansion; Replaces Watts)
4) Hans (Leftmost house in HomeTown/Nehaven, *after* expansion)

HOW TO EXPAND TOWNSHIP:
1) Fill up all three houses
2) Ask the carpenter to expand your town for 1000z
3) Enter, exit, and re-enter Township 8 times.

HOW TO COOK GOLD BRICKS:
1) Three stat-boosters (Guts Pills & Cond.Ups/Turbocharges count)
2) One of the following: Wisdom Seed, LifePL/Ammonia, Extract/Restorative, and almost any fish (except for Unagi/Garfish & Bait/Crappie).

CHANCE OF GETTING CHARCOAL INSTEAD (applies to all recipes):
(Ryu LVL / 6) /64
[Why does the game penalize you for having a higher leveled Ryu? :shrug: ]

CHANCE TO GET DOUBLE ITEMS:
(floor(total size / result size) * (16 if result size = 1, 8 if 2, 4 if 4 or 8, 2 if 16 or 32)) / 64
[Gold Bricks have a value of "1", which is why they're guaranteed doubles with the above recipe)

RECIPE COMPENDIUM (contains the "size" and "type" of all items, for plugging into the above formula and figuring out what makes what):
http://pkhack.fobby.net/misc/txt/bof2_cooking.txt
[GoldBars/Gold Bricks don't technically have sizes programmed in, so they default to "1"; The same size as Herbs)

"PLOT POINTS" THUS FAR (Beretta upgrades her wares for every 8 plot points you get, up to a max of 24):
1. Breaking Nimufu's curse on Jean.
2. Recruiting Seso.
3. Acquire the dragon powers from the old man behind the waterfall.
4. Recruiting three residents and expanding Township.

HANS' SHOP RECOMMENDATION:
x7 Iron Braces (empty inventory slot for Ryu)
x2 Dream Jewels (For the "dragon shotgun" trick with Ryu & Rand)
x4 Cond.Ups/Turbocharges (in case your Condition rolls around back to what it was)

THE EMPTY SLOT INITIATIVE GLITCH:
The FastShoe/Speed Shoes were supposed to set your preemptive attack rate to 25%, when equipped to your 1st Slot character...

But the programmers accidentally used LDA $40 instead of LDA #$40. In programming language, that's the difference between asking for Address $40 (for whatever value is stored in there), and asking for byte 40 (which represents the actual item). And at Address $40 is... a blank space. 00. Hence, "00" is what the looks looks for. If you have one blank space in the 1st Slot's accessory spaces, you've got the 25% pre-emptive.

THE INTENDED PRE-EMPTIVE RATE FOR PARTIES WITH NO SPEED SHOES:
It was primarily based off the same timer that governed run chances & party condition. ($5010; the one that advances every 8 minutes). Add these values to the party's Average Luck...

0: 32
1: 32
2: 96
3: 96
4: 160
5: 224
6: 160
7: 96

...then adjust by one of four multipliers...

-20% (17/32 chance)
+10% (7/32 chance)
+30% (5/32 chance)
+50% (3/32 chance)

These numbers are added to your average party Luck, then adjusted by 1 of 4 multipliers (Note that the result caps at 255). Then look at the following tables for your final pre-emptive chance (where N is a value from 0-3, depending on the enemy group... though I don't know exactly which enemies are which):

Ill: never
0-63: (2+N)/64
64-127: (2+N)/64
128-191: (4+N)/64
192-255: (8+N)/64

...Fortunately, this is moot by the above glitch, so... Don't worry about it!

AVAILABLE NORMAL FUSIONS:
Sanamo (25% Offense): Rand & Nina
Sesso (25% Wisdom): Rand, Nina, Sten, & Jean/Tapeta

AVAILABLE COLOR CHANGE FUSIONS:
Sanamo (50% Offense): Sten

Fionordequester fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Dec 29, 2020

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
Oh yeah, BoFII has an astonishing amount of optional collectables for you to obsess about. My first run ever was still before the advent of The Internet, but I was helped by the fact that BoFII had achieved some sort of minor cult status here in Germany and my favorite gaming magazine (called "Total!", nowadays defunct, but there's now a soccer magazine with the same name) had a growing list of tips and secrets about it.

After my first run (missing nearly half of the OP's list, and getting the bad ending), I tried again and by then I had half a library worth of old Total!-issues saved up with at least 2,5x worth of BoFII-strategy guide inside and went for 100% completion. I still missed 1-2 things, though. There's just so much missable stuff to find it's amazing for a game this old! :allears:

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Libluini posted:

Oh yeah, BoFII has an astonishing amount of optional collectables for you to obsess about. My first run ever was still before the advent of The Internet, but I was helped by the fact that BoFII had achieved some sort of minor cult status here in Germany and my favorite gaming magazine (called "Total!", nowadays defunct, but there's now a soccer magazine with the same name) had a growing list of tips and secrets about it.

Germany, huh? Do you know if your translation was based on the original Japanese script, or the American one? Fairly sure there's a German version of this Retranslation, if you're curious :) .

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Fionordequester posted:

Germany, huh? Do you know if your translation was based on the original Japanese script, or the American one? Fairly sure there's a German version of this Retranslation, if you're curious :) .

Nah, came as a total surprise to me when the game was in broken English instead of German. Apparently Capcom didn't care enough for another localization attempt. :v:

The old Nintendo center in Großostheim did a lot of translation from the original Japanese for Nintendo-games, which resulted in a lot of German-specific weirdness (there's an old joke about the German soap opera "Lindenstraße" in Secret of Mana, the Switch had that one replaced by a generic soccer reference). But sometimes apparently, some third-party developers just shrugged and did their own thing.

And uh, trying to understand the original English translation with the English capabilities of a 6th grader with a D-average was a challenge.

Edit:

And later I played Lufia II on SNES and it had perfect German. Fancy that.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
You have a gold chocobo early in the game that found a way to double damage your summons and consider it worthless...

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Fionordequester posted:

3) The Secret Character (Requires either a Strategy Guide, or Watts the Quizmaster—a tenant you have almost no chance of ever getting)

I thought there was another source of clues for the secret character that involved an out of the way location and some knowledge from BoF1.

I havent watched the video yet in case you covered the location.

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Libluini posted:

And uh, trying to understand the original English translation with the English capabilities of a 6th grader with a D-average was a challenge.

Edit:

And later I played Lufia II on SNES and it had perfect German. Fancy that.

Lol. Don't worry; Half of us didn't understand Breath of Fire II either :cheeky: .

That said, the German Retranslation was the base for the one I'm using now, so if you're in the mood for a good script in your own language... here you go!

https://www.romhacking.net/translations/1049/

Scalding Coffee posted:

You have a gold chocobo early in the game that found a way to double damage your summons and consider it worthless...

As a combat character. As just a utility character, though? He's got his uses :smile: .

Randalor posted:

I thought there was another source of clues for the secret character that involved an out of the way location and some knowledge from BoF1.

Yeah, there's a marked location round the lower-right side of the world map that references her existence (and is required to make her recruitable). Doesn't give you a clue where to go, however; Only Watts tells you where.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Fionordequester posted:

Yeah, there's a marked location round the lower-right side of the world map that references her existence (and is required to make her recruitable). Doesn't give you a clue where to go, however; Only Watts tells you where.

That's what I meant about "knowledge about BoF 1", in that the creatures there only showed up once before, in the secret character's home. And considering her abilities, there's really only one or two places she could have gone that are related to her (I say two because... she could have gone to Nimufu's Tower? I guess? Despite not being a he?)

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Randalor posted:

That's what I meant about "knowledge about BoF 1", in that the creatures there only showed up once before, in the secret character's home. And considering her abilities, there's really only one or two places she could have gone that are related to her (I say two because... she could have gone to Nimufu's Tower? I guess? Despite not being a he?)

I mean Sesso was there, too, after all.

In any case, perhaps this might be better?

code:
3) The Secret Character (Only vaguely hinted at via NPCs in a secluded location, and Watts—a tenant you'll probably lock yourself out of)

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Yes, yes it is :colbert:

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Fionordequester posted:

Lol. Don't worry; Half of us didn't understand Breath of Fire II either :cheeky: .

That said, the German Retranslation was the base for the one I'm using now, so if you're in the mood for a good script in your own language... here you go!

https://www.romhacking.net/translations/1049/

Fascinating, thanks! Though with my nostalgia goggles, everything not being the old translation looks weird to me. But it's probably a very nice thing to have if you want a similar localization quality then other German SNES-games get to have. (For curiosity's sake I once went back and tried playing Lufia II in English, and I was amazed how bad it was, especially when compared to the very good German translation. This is not always the case - both Grandia and Star Ocean 2 had infamously bad German localizations. The poor bastard voicing Justin sounds so bored and confused, it's like the translators abducted some random German youth from the streets and forced him to lineread by putting a gun to his head, it's great comedy. :allears:)

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Alright everyone, here's a question: Up till now, I've been doing a lot of post-production work... Perhaps too much. Basically, I've been editing out every instance of me and Skaizo stumbling over our words, or talking over each other. That seemed like a good idea at the time...

But the cost of that is that I have to re-sync all our dialogue every time, usually by "filling in the holes" with more words. Then from there comes me pining over whether or not the new stuff is the same volume as the old stuff, or whether the new delivery matches with the old delivery, and etc...

So I propose a test: To see if you notice a difference in commentary quality if I just lay down the tracks as they're recorded, rather than making all those tweaks. If not, then I should be able to upload these much faster.

What do you say?

Fionordequester fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Jan 1, 2021

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Its your LP, if you want to try it, I say go for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Randalor posted:

Its your LP, if you want to try it, I say go for it.

Cool! Then here it is! Tell me what you think!

Part 10: Breath of Fire II Walkthrough—Creeping Shadow (Wildcat Cafe)

TAPETA & PETAPE ART BY: 「せいはち」
せいはち's ART GALLERY: https://www.pixiv.net/en/users/3498832
Special thanks for giving me permission to use your artwork!
(NOTE: The guy in the center is official art)

ENEMY AI:
Bouncer/Garcon:
1/64 defend, 63/64 attack

Wildcat:
1/64 defend
Otherwise: 50% Attack, 25% Chopchop/Slice (50-81 unblockable DMG), 25% Dice (80-111 unblockable DMG)

Jailer (37.5% chance to Counter-attack):
1/64 defend
Otherwise: 65/256 spell, 191/256 attack
Spell list: Spark/Flare, Cure 3/Vitalize

Witch (same as Nimufu):
1/64 defend
Otherwise: 129/256 spell, 127/256 attack
Spell list: SwtBrth/Dream Breath, Cure 1/Heal, Spark/Flare, Thunder/Jolt

SLICE (given to 1 PC) vs. +16 HP BOOST (given to the entire party):
Slice is a great early to mid-game move (especially for Sten) that does 50-81 DMG, pierces defense, and costs 0 AP... However, it eventually gets obsoleted by other attacks. The +16 HP boost, however, never stops being useful; In fact, it turns some OHKOs in the end-game to two-hit KOs, given how low my levels are going to be.

HOW TO GET THE +16 BOOST?:
It all depends on the Wild Cat's Mood gauge, which lowers depending on...

1) How many instructions you obeyed

2) How many times you say "No" before you finally forgive him

If you obeyed all the instructions, you have to say "No" three times. If you obeyed all but one of them, you only have to say "No" once. Disobey any more than that, and you get it automatically!

CORRECTION ON NIMUFU:
The game DOES actually follow upon her via a throwaway line from a Township tenant called "Whoopi"! She actually starts having feelings for Jean!

Will display this in Part 12!

THE ROUTE:

Overworld:
Get SokletAR/Circlet & KmikzeBL/Void Sphere
Un-equip Nina & Tapeta
Go STRAIGHT to Fort Nageur, going right when horizontal to the lone tree!

Fort Nageur:
Get Deluxe Pole after waking in bed
BUY: Copper Baton & Buckler (Lin), Iron Knuckle (Rand)
SELL: SuedeAR/Tanned Armor, Iron Band, Sage’s Robe, Warlock Ring, SaladBwl/Headband, BronzeSH/Escutcheon, Wisdom Brace, & Deluxe Rod
TRADE: IronML/Iron Plate (Sten), IronAR/Iron Armor (Ryu)
Swim left to the campfire and make a Rand/Sten/Lin/Ryu party
Equip them all properly (Circlet to Ryu)!
Save, then go left to the Wild Cat Restaurant

Wild Cat Restaurant:
Follow all the orders except for turning in your weapons.

VS. Garcon (250 HP): Defensive; Scatter if it goes to Turn 3
Turn 1: Auto
Turn 2: Defend with Rand, if he got hit (Defend lets him survive another blow)
Turn 3: Scatter formation and finish him off!

VS. Wild Cat Chef (610 HP): Normal, then Scatter once Lin is hit
Sten spams Simoon, Ryu uses Whelp, then you just hope & pray from there
Switch to Scatter once Lin gets hit

Get +16 HP boost from Wild Cat Chef by saying "No" once, before saying Yes!

Fort Nageur:
Swap Ryu to the front and Rand to the back
Beat up guard

VS. Jailer (460 HP): Defensive, then Scatter
Turn 1: Ryu uses Whelp, Sten uses Simoon, Lin Defends, and Rand Attacks
Turn 2: Normal, and Lin either heals or Defends. Ryu & Rand attack, Sten Simoons
Turn 3: Auto (if the guy didn’t heal. If he did, be careful with Lin)

Get Ring back
Rest up & save

TRANSLATION MISHAPS:

Inexplicable extra space.

Dangling word.

The guy's name changes to "Jailer" once you fight him.

Incomplete phrases.

TRANSLATION SUCCESS:

A rare bit of legitimately clever writing! Ryusui actually KEPT this one :) !

Fionordequester fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Jan 1, 2021