Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
Problem description: SSD (2.5") prevents my computer from POSTing. This SSD was a boot drive in an older computer but I stuck it in this one to pull some data off of it. It had been booting fine for a couple months but today, I got up, computer was off. Tried to turn it on but it didn't even make it to the pre-POST screen. Reset BIOS, computer goes to pre-POST screen but stops. Power to keyboard, etc. but no response trying to get into BIOS.

Attempted fixes: Cleared BIOS, updated to latest BIOS.

Recent changes: Windows updates were pending and finished after I pulled everything but the boot drive.

Operating system: Windows 10 Professional

System specs: ASUS TUF x570, Ryzen 3800XT, 32GB DDRsomethignIdontremember, NVidia GTX3080, 750w PSU new as of 2 months ago

Now, my computer seems to be running fine with everything except this mystery 2.5" SSD connected; when I plug it back in, it hits the logo screen telling me to hit F2 or del to enter BIOS and I'm at a total loss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

totalnewbie posted:

Problem description: SSD (2.5") prevents my computer from POSTing. This SSD was a boot drive in an older computer but I stuck it in this one to pull some data off of it. It had been booting fine for a couple months but today, I got up, computer was off. Tried to turn it on but it didn't even make it to the pre-POST screen. Reset BIOS, computer goes to pre-POST screen but stops. Power to keyboard, etc. but no response trying to get into BIOS.

Attempted fixes: Cleared BIOS, updated to latest BIOS.

Recent changes: Windows updates were pending and finished after I pulled everything but the boot drive.

Operating system: Windows 10 Professional

System specs: ASUS TUF x570, Ryzen 3800XT, 32GB DDRsomethignIdontremember, NVidia GTX3080, 750w PSU new as of 2 months ago

Now, my computer seems to be running fine with everything except this mystery 2.5" SSD connected; when I plug it back in, it hits the logo screen telling me to hit F2 or del to enter BIOS and I'm at a total loss.

Could try swapping the SATA cable/port, if you have another drive that is working that's not the boot drive, plug it into there and see what happens, that'll at least narrow down the problem.

Sounds like it's trying to read from that drive and can't, I'd make sure also when booting that the boot order is correct (i.e. your current boot drive is first)