Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

that high school looks so fuckin real that i got flashbacks to things i haven't thought about for years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

Is it handsome in here, or is it just me?

They confirmed that Yakuza will stay turn based while Judgement carries on the brawling style

Neurotic Roleplay
May 20, 2005

awesome

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!
I just finished Judgment last night and it’s probably one of my favorite game stories in several years. The different characters and their arcs were all tied together in a really satisfying way that too many open world games miss.

My only criticisms are the obvious ones: the tailing missions are too repetitive, and there isn’t enough actual detective work going on. If they have to do tailing missions in the sequel I just hope they can give them more depth and variety (switching targets, identifying in large crowds, that sort of thing) and same goes for investigations- they should something like the Sherlock Holmes games, where you go to a menu and bridge together strings of various clues to make different conclusions appear.

Brass Hand
Feb 27, 2020
Everything owns

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

sega getting a sweet crazy buyout from stadia to give them time and resources to iron out the pc port of judgment is a genius move actually. yakuza ftw. all the news today has been great

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Lumpy the Cook posted:

I just finished Judgment last night

drat that is perfect timing to get hyped about the new trailer

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Life is good

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

unironically excited at the number of substories for this game that are an extended version of the "How do you do, fellow kids?" 30 Rock episode.

Brass Hand
Feb 27, 2020
I think I’ll replay Judgment soon

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

i thought i'd play judgment after i finished like a dragon but now i kind of want to do it after 6. i'm pretty sure i havent played a non yakuza game on my ps4 in almost a year and god willing that will continue

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Fungah! posted:

i thought i'd play judgment after i finished like a dragon but now i kind of want to do it after 6. i'm pretty sure i havent played a non yakuza game on my ps4 in almost a year and god willing that will continue

yeah, lol. i think i finished cyberpunk and disco elysium in january and since then my ps4 has been a fulltime yakuza machine.

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

yakuza ftw

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!

Bicyclops posted:

yeah, lol. i think i finished cyberpunk and disco elysium in january and since then my ps4 has been a fulltime yakuza machine.

Since xbox putting yakuza on gamepass in January 2020 I've played y0, k1, k2, y7, shenmue2, y3, y4, y5, and I'm in the end of y6 now lol. Played a few things in between but in conclusion- Sega rules. Oh yeah, im also buying the Judgment remaster for my next game.

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

Bicyclops posted:

i had the same thing happen where i just dropped everything else and marathoned the whole series and it was a solid 2 months of some of the greatest gaming i ever had. im hyped as gently caress for the judgement sequel.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Seltzer posted:

Since xbox putting yakuza on gamepass in January 2020 I've played y0, k1, k2, y7, shenmue2, y3, y4, y5, and I'm in the end of y6 now lol. Played a few things in between but in conclusion- Sega rules. Oh yeah, im also buying the Judgment remaster for my next game.

Kiryu in the jingweon massacre flashbacks in k2 is just Ryo

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

I overestimated my gaming time/abilities and will absolutely not be finishing Yakuza 5 by the Nocturne release. I'll be lucky to wrap up 4 by then tbh

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

Wrapped up yakuza 4, ending was poo poo. The “actually I knew all along, <character> was just a pawn in an even bigger scheme!” thing works if they’re paced but having a bunch right at the end barely makes sense.

Developing three different characters along with Kiryu was neat though IMO, think they did a decent job of pulling that off.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

4 feels like they forgot to build up final bosses for kiryu and saejima

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

yakuza 6 owns really hard so far

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!

In Training posted:

Kiryu in the jingweon massacre flashbacks in k2 is just Ryo

There are shenmue references in yakuza and shenmue itself incorporates moves and influences from virtua fighter.... which you can play in yakuza.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

BBJoey posted:

4 feels like they forgot to build up final bosses for kiryu and saejima
I don't understand what Daigo was doing at any point. Or what most of the plot was doing at any point but I feel like they did my boy Daigo dirty

I played 3 and 4 back to back but taking a bit of a break before 5... already feel it calling though

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

oh my god the hostess club gets even better lmao. when majima starts doing the commentary. when he says "you take your eyes off this business for one second..." and yuki says "it's been 20 years" and then insults his entire affected persona. when kiryu does the loving four shine cheer. this was exactly what i needed tonight, thank you sega.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Bicyclops posted:

oh my god the hostess club gets even better lmao. when majima starts doing the commentary. when he says "you take your eyes off this business for one second..." and yuki says "it's been 20 years" and then insults his entire affected persona. when kiryu does the loving four shine cheer. this was exactly what i needed tonight, thank you sega.

You're going to lose your poo poo at the last substory

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Arrhythmia posted:

lol awesome. i don't think i'll get to it tonight because i'm still at least two dinners away.

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009
I love kiwami 2 so much. it breaks my heart a little bit that k2 and yakuza 6 are the only brawlers in this new engine.. I really feel like they have perfected the feel of combat with k2. going to have a short break and then start 3

Professor of Cats
Mar 22, 2009

3 is rough gameplay wise. I just put it on easy and mainlined the story. I loved the orphanage setting too. Just kiyru chilling on an island with his tropical shirt and his kiddos. I want more of that.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Brasseye posted:

I love kiwami 2 so much. it breaks my heart a little bit that k2 and yakuza 6 are the only brawlers in this new engine.. I really feel like they have perfected the feel of combat with k2. going to have a short break and then start 3

Judgment bro.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

This

Nutmeg
Feb 8, 2004

extremebuff posted:

yakuza 6 owns really hard so far

just started 6 myself, have only played like a dragon and zero before but want to experience the last of Kiryu's story

Sex Tragedy
Jan 28, 2007

father of three with an extra large butt

Nutmeg posted:

just started 6 myself, have only played like a dragon and zero before but want to experience the last of Kiryu's story

This is illegal

Neurotic Roleplay
May 20, 2005

it’s fine actually

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Nutmeg posted:

be interested to know what you think of the brawler combat coming off of the JRPG style, given that most people experience it the other way around.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Got this ad on Facebook and I keep hearing the aubstory guitar in my head

Neurotic Roleplay
May 20, 2005

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Got this ad on Facebook and I keep hearing the aubstory guitar in my head

lol

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Arrhythmia posted:

lmfao

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

lmao jesus christ there's more

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

yakuza 5 people, whats your drift racing song? mines 100% lets go away from Daytona

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

I couldn’t figure out how to change the music in 10 seconds so I never did. I’m king of the road now though and those devil killer punks are toast. I got all the cosmetic upgrades but wound up never using them, having a plain unassuming taxi cab smoke souped up street racers is funnier