Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
i also felt that the ending of 0 was a letdown (finished it two days ago, my first yakuza game), but maybe that's just because the rest of the game owns so hard.

obviously Makoto demanding the lieutenants' heads is good, Kashiwagi showing up with the cavalry was also fun, Awano taking all the bullets for you kicks rear end, and the Lao Gui fight is good, but all that's the leadup! after that it kinda sputters out imo:

Shibusawa as the final boss was dumb and he was too easy after Lao Gui and ESPECIALLY after Kashiwagi in the prev chapter or w/e. he was hardest imo. also it sucks that Sagawa dies, I was hoping he would come back to torment Majima in the future, AND its dumb that Makimura doesn't recognize Majima AND that there's literally never an onscreen Majima-Kiryu conversation wtf

but for all that yeah 0 rules hard and I already started Kiwami

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
lol that would have been really good.

(and yeah I understood that Makoto was trying to place Majima in the epilogue, i just think the "someone doesn't recognize someone else that helped/harmed them significantly, how poignant" trope sucks, especially in a story that just did "ACTUALLY there was another man behind the man behind the curtain and this was all their plan from the beginning!!" like 4x in a row. lean into the cheese!)

Scythe fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Apr 28, 2021

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
Beast style is awesome when there's stuff around to auto-pickup, but idk I don't like it as much as brawler if i'm in an empty room. i'm like half through K1 now and including 0 i've probably completely trashed Serena in beast style like 5 times or whatever at this point lol. sorry reina i needed to destroy all 20 of your nice armchairs by smashing them over dudes again, dont be mad at me tia, see you tomorrow

gotta say I think K1 has some strengths compared to 0 but the story is a definite step down. maybe i'm just used to the series now but the abilities/equipment/etc are all easier to understand than the 0 versions i think. it would be nice to be able to rec it as an intro but 0 is clearly better overall...

forgot to post it a few days ago when it happened but: lol goromi

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
i'm close to the end of K1's story and i'm mad about Reina. man did they really have to do her like that? though it is pretty lol when Kiryu like barely reacts to her dead body and then screams and wails about Shinji. like didn't you know Reina since you were like 5 or something, Kiryu? I know she just betrayed you but thats cold man

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004

Lol

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
started k2 last night. the dragon engine upgrade is huge after y0/k1, wow

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
its amazing how much of a smug prick ryuji goda is. what an rear end in a top hat

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
i'm still only in the beginning of k2 but kuze is definitely the best antagonist so far imo. he's also got the best name for kiryu to yell, which is important in a villain. KUZEEEEE

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004

mkvltra posted:

Recruiting hostesses in Y0- does the quality of the gift have any effect on the stats or rarity of the new recruit?

I could give the human female a 4mil Swiss watch or I could give her a watch that costs less than 1mil, but both watches will allow me to recruit her successfully. Is there some kind of unseen effect

i don't think so. in any case whatever effect you'd get is definitely not worth 3 million yen

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004

Dewgy posted:

"cool" isn't really the word i'd use to describe oda tbh

"gigantic piece of human trafficking poo poo who got what was coming to him" is more how i'd phrase it

yeah i was gonna say, once that plot linkup is made clear i was like "oh no this mf has to go". but lol though at how they make it so Tachibana has the bat tattoo but is totally absolved of any knowledge and therefore any wrongdoing. he's still perfect!

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
i just got to the k2 substory with the kiryu and shinji impersonators. lol that they did this

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
happy birthday kiryu.

also wow k2 continues to rule, just got back to soutenbori and sayama got taken Off The Case. also the blackjack amulet is hilariously overpowered; since it makes you get 5-6 blackjacks in a row you can just go to the high rate table, use the amulet, then max bet every hand until it wears off bc it's a guaranteed win. since the max bet increases with win streaks you end up getting a ridiculous return, i think i turned 1000 chips (=100K yen) into like 15 platinum plates (=3M yen) with this alone

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004

Nostradingus posted:

The Yamazaki sounded so good in the game I went looking for it but a bottle is hundreds of dollars

Yamazaki is really good but not worth the price you can get it for in the US.

Suntory makes a cheaper blended whisky called Toki just for the export market which is an ideal companion to Yakuza gaming imo. You won't see it in the game bc it's export only but you can compare it to Kakubin (which is in the game and is basically the standard whisky in every convenience store in Japan, but is Japanese-market-only). Toki is better and more expensive than Kakubin but it's still cheap enough to have as a highball/on the rocks while you punch guys in the face and eat 10 meals worth of food in a row

--

just did k2 ch12 and lol at kiryu's sad rain cutscene with him impotently clicking his lighter and lmao at having to fight a literal pair of tigers

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
i mean toki's good but nikka from the barrel is fantastic. nikka > suntory generally imo

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
i'm playing k2 and i'm walking around soutenbori with haruka and getting harassed by dudes, and my finger slipped causing me to do the "shoot a guy in the gut 3 times at point blank range" heat action for the first time while haruka was like 5 ft away. lol at calmly holding hands after that and walking away, what a hardened 10 year old

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
yeah that one's just brutal. also majima's where he slices two guys' necks and then kicks his dagger into a third dude's lung, then negs the poor guy and twists the blade as he pulls it out

edit: lmao i haven't seen this one yet, amazing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=snnOqwLjq7A

Scythe fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Jun 23, 2021

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
all this LAD praise is almost making me want to skip there next after i 100% K2. turn based sounds like a nice change of pace from the beat-em-up style, but i wonder how badly i'd spoiler myself for the rest of the kiryu series...

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
decided that not only am I gonna 100% K2 I'm gonna do it before the main story ends and not bother with Premium Adventure or NG+, so since I'm pretty sure I only have the end boss fight with Goda in Kamurocho Hills left, my last few sessions have all been wandering around checking stuff off the completion list.

turns out I loving suck rear end at the minigames i didn't play much of! it took like 10 tries to get through the MLB pro substory last night, now my only remaining poo poo is mahjong, golf, and karaoke. gently caress Albatross Akagi's challenge, and gently caress Haruka's insane 10 bingos request. and i have no idea how i'm gonna 90% karaoke even once, let alone 5 times, since i think my all-time high is rank C and both majima and haruka keep brutally owning me if I invite them along.

also i have only 1 more mystery drink to find somewhere. christ

edit: the y5 hype has me, uh hyped for that. still think it's LAD next, but maybe after i'll head right into 5 and 6...

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
i just finished k2's story bc i got bored with various completion poo poo and lmao at the entire ending

edit: fighting ryuji again for like... no reason, kaoru being like "its ok you beat my brother to death kiryu, i still love you", date in the helicopter being like "stop making out! stop! ah gently caress" and zooming away

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
as a 0-to-K2 player so far i'm surprised he has a wife. i love him but majima's not a "good" guy, he routinely maims his men for minor offenses, after all. if yakuza ever gets even more popular than it is i bet we'll get "majima did nothing wrong!" assholes like the guys that miss the point about Breaking Bad etc.

i think i'm definitely reading too much into a series that is mostly about punching guys in cool ways but it seems to me like the Point/Moral of the story is none of the yakuza can truly be "good," the life itself makes you do bad things. that poo poo is a cliche for crime stories after all. i feel like someone comes out and says this already in 0 and i can't think of any actual yakuza character that doesn't do reprehensible poo poo at least once

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004

Bicyclops posted:

i dunno, kiryu is constantly looking at the camera and explaining in simple terms how he thinks a person can live a good life and not fall victim to the corruption and the easy way out that permeates every industry in kamurocho...

i mean yeah, of all the yakuza (in 0-K2) kiryu is clearly the one that is trying the hardest to be good/do only moral poo poo, and I don't think he does anything truly Bad/Immoral in the main storyline (yet anyway... he gets closest when Nishiki holds him back from killing Shibusawa, i think), but "kiryu has never killed anyone" is a joke for a reason, and importantly he's also the guy who's constantly trying to Get Out Of The Game. i think he's always trying to quit/retire because by the middle of K1 he realizes that when he's In The Life he somehow always ends up microwaving guys to death in the Poppo and then using shittons of pocket circuit as a coping mechanism, and he's healthier and happier running an orphanage or whatever.

of course I haven't played 3-6 yet, so maybe I'm missing some context that shows up later

edit: 0/minor K2 spoilers majima realizes the game is poisonous too, it's why he hides his identity from makimura

Scythe fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Jul 15, 2021

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

Haruka: But.. you cheated! You cheated at Koi Koi, Uncle Kaz.. with the special item in your inventory..

Kiryu, facing away from Haruka, towards the camera: There comes a time when Man must become a Beast. Now let's skin this mook for +1 Leather.

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
got annoyed at how crappy the fighting felt in 3 after the highs of K2 and shelved it and started LAD last night. not sure where i'm going to go back to once I finish it (probably go to 5, skipping 3+4?) but LAD already rules. ichiban's dumb hero shtick is a really refreshing change from Kiryu

do I need to give a poo poo about getting my stats/skills right or is it like 0/K1/K2 where it doesn't matter much because I'll be able to max everything out by the end?

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004

SmokaDustbowl posted:

I'm going into it after playing original 1 and 2 though

"respect" but also "why would you do that to yourself"

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
man I'm jealous of all of you who get mahjong. i'm like... barely competent. i suck at gin also, i guess my brain isn't good at matching games

i did boot up 0/K2 to just play darts or poker a few times though. gotta level up more in 7 so i can dick around doing substories and minigames and avoiding the main quest

edit: I feel like 7 has a longer beginning part before the world opens up than 0/K1/K2/3... is that just me?

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
Sotenbori and Dotonbori are also super close, but the street layout doesn't match as well as it does in Kamurocho. in particular, they rotated it 180 for some weird reason; Dotonbori St is actually south of the canal and they put Sotenbori St on the north, and Soemoncho is to the north but they put Shofukucho on the south. Same with the bridges, the wide oval one is to the west and they put it on the east end. But a lot of the shops and restaurants are real (Kani Douraki and Kushikatsu Daruma are real and in their real spots relative to the 180 degree flip, I'm pretty sure) and they got the looks of the canal exactly right imo

edit: lol there's a bug where you can't use unicode chars in url bbcode tags I guess. fixed

Scythe fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Sep 7, 2021

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
it definitely does gently caress with your vision and movement in some of them. i remember it loving up your vision in darts in 0, and i think it messes with your movement at least in k2?

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
kiwami 2 loving owns start to finish, it's so pure

also LAD owns and all these spoilers are getting me hyped for the second half of the game, i've gotta make more time for it this week

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
Can’t even tell which game you’re playing. Could be any of em

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
i replayed the end of k2 tonight. it's amazing how dumb it is. A+

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
I just noticed that Kasuga is in socks on tatami surfaces (like in the bedroom above Survive) and shoes just magically appear on his feet once you move onto the hardwood flooring. Outstanding

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
i just did the kiryu fight in LAD. lol he's such a loving nerd about it

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
i think he was wearing sunglasses that time. 100% discreet lol

also obviously i summoned majima for that fight. you have to. its too bad the game doesn't acknowledge that particular combo though

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
yeah the dragon engine is sick as hell. starting kiwami 2 for the first time after 0+K1, you already know the game is going to rule. it's the same old kamurocho but livelier!

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
I swear the ai cheats in catfights. I can never win the mash contest when you tie.

Now that I think about it, I wonder if it’s a frame rate related bug like Toylets in k2

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
koi koi slaps, the koi koi song slaps. they should put it in standalone koi koi games

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
I would say do it based on if you feel like doing more beatemup or if you’re ready for a JRPG break

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
somehow I apparently didn’t do like any minigames or other completion poo poo as I played through LAD, and so now I’m taking care of that before I do the finale. Turns out just checking off all the “order everything on the menu at X restaurant” completion items in a row by making the party go on a bar crawl owns. We’re all maximum drunk and mowing through underleveled idiots in street fights in between downing whole menus and therefore getting all the combo meal boosts and triggering all the table talk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
finished LAD a couple days ago and started 5 last night. really excited to be hanging out with kiryu and just hitting guys again. but these posts are getting me excited for 6 and i know i shouldn't think about that because at this rate i'll start it for like next winter or something

the intro to 5 is so melodramatic and kiryu is being even whinier than usual imo, lol

re: the end of LAD: probably the worst one of the ones i've played so far (0, K1, K2)? why do you have to fight aoki/arakawa like 3x? why is tendo the real 'final boss' when he has no personality? who knows. i'm still really looking forward to 8/LAD2/whatever, though, I think it's gonna rule since they'll have more time to build Yokohama out and will have hopefully ironed out some gameplay weak spots

edit: also re: end of LAD: what the gently caress was with Mirror Face? like "lol he switched sides secretly!!" he definitely deserved more screen time if they were going to pull that twist

Scythe fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Feb 3, 2022