Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

so, I'm planning on picking up 0 some time this year, probably after DE and Age of Calamity. in case I fall down a Yakuza rabbit hole, what I think I'm gathering is kiwami 1 & 2 are remakes of 1 & 2, 3 - 5 are remasters of the the original ones, 0 is a very recently made prequel that serves as.a great introduction to the series, and 6 and 7 are recent releases, and that all are available on the PS4/xbox one family of consoles? that about cover it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

cool, thx.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

trying to jack off posted:

im going to try stop playing caberet club and play the final mission of y0 so i can move on and play the rest lol. im at like 120 hours

:stare:

maybe this shouldnt have been on my annual gaming goals lol

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

might download 0 tonight, I've just seen so many people love this series.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I'm convinced, I'll manage to wedge it in with my gaming backlog somehow.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

any advice for total Yakuza noobs or is the game pretty self explanatory?

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

downloading 0 for later tonight and I had a minute when I saw the picture when I said "am I... downloading Chuck Buried Treasure?" and had to check to make sure this wasn't the beginning of a crazy imp dream

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

this is the second game this week that i've done karaoke in, but i bombed out on my first go, lol. i can see how these hook you in already, though. even scrolling through the completion menu makes me want to do more stuff.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

just beat the first boss in 0 and starting to get a handle on the combat. I haven't spent any money yet, I feel like once the game opens up a lot more, I'll have a better idea about what I want to choose.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

i accidentally wandered into the disco bar and i think i'm going to be playing the disco mini game for the next few nights.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Arrhythmia posted:

Disco minigame is the second best after Mahjong, in this imp's opinion.

I felt like a moron the first two times I played it and then suddenly it clicked and got fun. I'm still doing easy mode on all the songs, though, I'm sure I'll be back in two days ranting and raving about how unfair hard mode is.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

hard mode isn't that bad, it just gives you more things to press, theres side stories that are definitely harder since you need to take advantage of the scoring system more

yeah, I suck at trying to rack up the steps so far, the beat makes it way easier to kind of dance over a square and hit the button. granted I was playing it with a baby in my lap but I probably will again because the disco mini game was very effective at making him fall asleep.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

It’s cool when you’re still seeing new stuff and some of my favorite content in the game is from Majima Everywhere, but once the new encounters run out and he’s just jumping out at you out of nowhere with 8 health bars every 20 feet it becomes really tedious.

When I unlocked the point of no return and started running over to finish the game I ended up quitting and finishing the next day because his fully maxed-out version jumped out at me 3 times before I’d even made it halfway to the objective

:stare:

uh... maybe I'll just stay in the disco

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

e: dohblepost

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Bolverkur posted:

i still haven't cleared Yakuza 0 because every time i start it i just beeline to the mahjong parlor and once i'm sick of that i just go for the other minigames. i'll never beat this game lol.

lol yeah. i feel like once i start doing the karaoke, i'm going to hit a difficulty wall and spend weeks playing Guitar Hero: 1980s Japan (Dual Shock 4 Edition) instead of advancing the story at all. even the loving baseball mini-game is hard but addictive. the mini-games being so varied and feeling difficult but fair, as well as there being like 18 legitimate ways to engage with the combat, is probably what makes this so addictive. it's a beat-em-up with a lot of simple but well designed mini games.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

lol, I was getting ready to wrap up disco form the night and thought I'd turn in some completion points at the shrine. on the way I got roped into a tv shoot and then when I tried to find a phone booth to save that I got roped into a high school argument that led to a panties selling ring next to a stop and frisk failure police officer. this game is like After Hours when it's not the main story. I love it. thank you, imp zone

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

lmao the after school special music that plays when you succeed at a side story sure is something in the dominatrix mission

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

i keep finding phone cards and i have no idea what to do with them. :confused:

this is still fun, though. i cleared hard mode for all the disco songs and won a disco battle, then i decided to clear the menu so i drank like five drinks and took my drunk rear end to sega to lose at the crane game 100 times and get my rear end handed to me in space harrier.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Arrhythmia posted:

*not joking* They let you look at pictures of sexy ladies.

ah. time to get some completion points while the wife is asleep then......

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I finished off by losing at pool and then playing darts for like two hours for absolutely no reason. I think I won at the Japanese chess thing enough that I never have to play it again, though.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

how on earth do i order food in a restaurant? every time i try, kiryu tells me that he is too full.

trying not to let this darts hustler get me down. i'm going to take his yen yet.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

In Training posted:

you can't eat at max health at the start, there's an upgrade that lets you eat as much food as you want though

ah, okay. guess i'll have to wait for that or get punched if i want to start clearing menus...

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

i still haven't advanced the story beyond the first time you go to your apartment because i've been too busy doing disco battles, darts, old sega games, befriending mushroom salesmen, etc. my completion rate is already 15

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

wandered into a mahjong parlor and i feel like someone who has never picked up a chess board wandering into a scene from The Queen's Gambit

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

When I first met the shogi player he asked for my level of experience with the game and when I told him I was a beginner he said “okay, then I’ll try to play like a beginner too!” and then completely demolished me in a minute and a half

lol

at least with shogi i sort of understood what i was doing because i have a very basic, rudimentary understanding of chess. you can also get away with only sort of playing beginners because i THINK they only completion points involve winning like five games.

with mahjong i feel like i'm going to be buying tiles and trying to rope my friends into it before i'm done. i also still have to figure out pool and the batting cages. i'm afraid for karaoke

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

starting to feel like a lot of my gaming goals for the year are going to go straight out the window in favor of me playing kiwami, kiwami 2, 3, 4, 5, and 6. i guess we'll see how i feel after like 100 hours of 0.

Like a Dragon also joins FF7 Remake Part 2 and Final Fantasy 16 in the "maybe you eventually want to buy a PS5" category

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

bob trying to assimilate into twitter life but he keeps getting dragged back to the forums...

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

i took a small break from all the mini-games and i'm at majima now.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

i'm going to have to play this whole game again just to get screencaps. i'm surprised half of the posts in the Imp Zone aren't just Yakuza screens.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Ruffini posted:

But it is?

lol fair enough. as it should be.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

currently getting a lesson about 1980s tax law in Japan.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Fungah! posted:

that side quest pwns, majima realizing he designed a new tax is pure gold

lol yeah, it really starts taking off once majima gets into the whole thing. i think so far my favorite side stories have all been majima's (doll girl, the cult quest, and bag phone guy all own), but i like playing as kiryu more overall for some reason.

got a little too drunk on the valentine's day wine and started getting emotional about the doll girl quest, thinking "drat, imagine someone so small and helpless caring about you that much, looking up at you with those starry eyes" before my son interrupted to call for a glass of water and i was like "oh, yeah...."

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

lmao i just posted on facebook about having some mahjong troubles and my online shitposting friend from the early aughts responded. she has a Ph D from loving Oxford, has published a few books, is a tenured professor and has gotten doxxed more than once, so she got more cautious on social media and we haven't chatted much recently, but she was like "ahh, i'm suffering from similar difficulties. let's find a time to chat on Zoom?? i'm on GMT." yakuza reconnecting old friends ftw. thank you, sega.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

i am probably about to have a voiced, on camera conversation with someone i have been making shitposts with for seventeen years because of a video game mini-game, i'm loving dying

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

And then everyone stood up singing Queen's We Are The Champions and everyone patted my back telling me how fuckawesome I am for daring to belt this legendary tune out by myself before everyone joined in Harmoniously.

lol yeah but the "and that man was albert einstein" versino would probably involve me having a clue instead of probably getting schooled by my old acquaintance who's led a much more successful life than me. i'm sort of intimidated tbh

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

youre an imp zone ik, i have no idea how the hell they could achieve any more than you

"skyrimmerables, you called it? very droll, very nice. love the bizarre nighmare descriptions. tricyclod, wasn't it? just remembered i had a thing. uh... don't steal too often? enjoy web 1.0, darling!"

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

i could never seem to find mr shakedown as kiryu and it feels too early in my majima run to chase him.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

the fighting does feel weird but so did 0 and i got used to it

I think my chief complaint is that the dudes on the street fall so easily that most of the combat you do only touches on how it actually works and how to do combos. but it's not like I really want a boss fight every three seconds, so I get it. you CAN button mash but you can also use them for practice.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

lol, that one is so good

I kinda wish I stuck around to finish up the rest of the sidequests in 0 but at the same time, I kinda knew if I didn't move on I'd never complete this series

trust your gamer instincts

the substories are probably my favorite part but it's easy to get sucked into the little things. i've spent most of tonight playing Outrun and mahjong, but i'm missing kiryu so i'll probably advance the story a little now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

i uh... just unlocked the real estate :stare: