Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

Is it handsome in here, or is it just me?

Stolen from the game deals thread

Bloodplay it again posted:

Newegg has some decent deals on some PC games right now.

Yakuza Kiwami 2 for $5.99 with promo code XMASGM6
Yakuza: Like a Dragon Day Ichi Edition for $37.49 with promo code 4NWYHYU65 (or the legendary hero edition with all DLC for $50.39 with XMASGM6)

Full list of sale game here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

Virtual On is a cool novelty if you ever get to sit in the arcade cockpit and play it, or at least it was 20 years ago.

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

It really doesn’t hurt you that much to lose the mini game challenges. Just take the L and carry on

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

The first boss fight in Kiwami sucks terribly and is not representative of the rest of the game.

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

Just started Judgement and it’s freaking gorgeous

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

Akiyama is a great foil for Kiryu because he’s actually smart as hell and good at all the poo poo Kiryu is bad at.

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

Yeah I liked him a lot in 6 where that’s his whole role in the story. He’s cool in 5 too where he’s teamed up with another protagonist from the start and serves as like a mentor figure for them

I also really like in 6 how they solidify that as good as he is, he can't keep the city in check like Kiryu.

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

Some of the Yakuza games have extremely powerful cutscene guns. It all just depends on who's being shot at.

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

Seltzer posted:

Minor y 4 spoilers. I'm not feeling Saejima's character or combat style.... Maybe it'll get better but Akiyama is so much cooler it feels like a big downgrade.

The idea of Saejima is much cooler than having to play as Saejima imo

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

I’d buy a $30 cabaret spin-off day 1

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

Professor of Cats posted:

one million percent (0's version)

I'd do it for either but I agree 0 is superior

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

DeadMansSuspenders posted:

Cabaret mode is supremely satisfying somehow. I don't know if its recognizing the signals or the customization or how it fits together but I really liked it.

Cabaret hand signals cross all language barriers

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

Are the dlc jobs worth it for Yakuza 7?

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

I might get the dlc just for the costumes but probably not.

Just started playing 7 now that the PS5 version is out and Ichi is a Good Boy but dumb as bricks. He’s worse than Shinada haha

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

The saves aren’t transferable which is why I just replayed older Yakuza to keep me busy until the PS5 version came out. If Kiryu can do his time, I can wait four months to see Ichiban’s chin hairs in high def

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

The ps4 disc can get you the PS5 executable, you just have to have the disc in like normal.

It also gives you the legendary costume pack without even entering the code so if someone somehow needs the code and doesn’t have it send me a pm or quote me or whatever since I still have one

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Yeah but you can't transfer your save for some reason.

We mentioned it broadly earlier but I think the reason is there's some kind of extra work they have to do. For the Spider-Man reissue that you could get with Miles Morales I had to load the game in PS4 mode and upload my original file to some special tool they made then reimport it with the game in PS5 mode. This is even though the PS4 save file had already been moved to my PS5. Seems like a failure on Sony's part but the real headache in this case is based on the Xbox exclusivity window for next gen but whatever. Thank You Sega I'll do what I must

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

I like how Ichiban is supposed to be like the goody gum drop boy but he still drops random guys in one punch like a big time boss

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

Am I the only one in thread who likes 4 more than 5? 5 felt so slow and disjointed to me and there was absolutely no pay off for Majima being married and the final boss was a wet fart narratively.

Plus I just love the finale of 4. I know 5 has more side content but I’ve played like 8 of these things by now so that isn’t supremely special to me.

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

JOHN CENA posted:

i finally beat yakuza 0...now i gotta beat the rest.

do i go kiwami -> kiwami 2 next?

Yes

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

The best part about cabaret in 3/4 being so bad is how much nerds cried about it being taken out of the original US version. They were begging to play through that dogshit lol

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

Brass Hand posted:

What was censored?

One of the family pins has a Rising Sun design that was censored in the original US version

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

Hamill says he doesn't remember doing the role which makes sense since he just plays it as his Joker but worse

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

I really don’t like how you have a scene where Ichiban says he wants to be a big hero and pulls the sword from the stone then for substories he gets half way to walking away without helping in a ton of them.

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

I tried about 10 minutes each of the dub on Y7 and Judgement and it was nightmarish.

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

Looking back now it's funny that one of the things that I liked about Yakuza 3 at launch (as my first Yakuza game) was now brutal all the heat moves were.

Also my favorite / least favorite is the one where Kiryu grinds their face on the ground like he's making shredded cheese.

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

Virtual On was cool in arcades kind of

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

The construction game isn't great but it's worth it for the theme song

https://youtu.be/YIwcEpBRnsY

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

They confirmed that Yakuza will stay turn based while Judgement carries on the brawling style

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

Nutmeg posted:

so the main minigames for 6 is both tower defense and baseball, both things i personally find boring. would i be missing some good content/substories if i ignore them both? i've tried getting into the kiryu clan stuff but it's not really clicking for me, and I never ran into the guy to start the baseball side of things in chapter 5 so i have to wait till i have to go back to onomichi anyway

The baseball game is a really forgiving sim more than a test of hitting the ball. I liked it but I'm not sure why.

The clan stuff is a weaker redo of a weak minigame imo so I wouldn't sweat it, but I'd at least give baseball a little try.

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

came here to post basically this, I've finished the taxi questline already and done very little else but the game so far is a huge step up and is just fun to play moment to moment. Seems incredibly easy but the abilities and heat moves are satisfying enough that I don't really care.

Is the plot/writing still bad? I haven't really noticed either way so far but I want to prepare psychically if I'm in for any rubber bullet situations

I thought the plot for 5 was bad but most people seem to like it fine. I didn’t like the dumbass nobody final boss or that they build up a huge subplot for Majima that drastically rewrites his backstory and it has absolutely no pay off in either Yakuza 5 or 6.

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

Big time spoilers for Yakuza 6 and Yakuza 7

I really thought them including Kiryu in Yakuza 7 would be a complete betrayal of the end of 6 but they actually did it really well. It makes sense that since Kiryu's deal was with the shadowy old school politician that he'd be allowed to interfere slighly to help you against the young gun usurper. Also the fight with him going through all his forms was loving sick and the animation of him looking like Shenron was awesome.

He also shows up at the two most perfect times, especially outside the Bleach Japan building where the party and you the player are getting really uncomfortable with how off the rails Ichi is going.

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

Dewgy posted:

i didn’t even notice it when i did that fight but kiryu won’t attack the ladies in your party, and i find that hilarious

Since it’s game over if Ichi goes down, bringing both ladies can make the fight way harder apparently since he only has two targets

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

mastershakeman posted:

I really wish it had been adachi and nanba to handle ichiban there, feel that was a misstep

I would have liked it as well. Kiryu could have just observed them having to stop him and the rest of the scene would have played the same. But I also think it works OK-ish under the pretense that they're just so shocked by what he's doing.

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

Fungah! posted:

digested overnight, got some thoughts on yakuza 5

the big plot is kind of a mess, thinking about it. i liked shinada a lot but he's basically not in the finale, they could have just had akiyama go do his thing instead of fighting kanai, instead i feel like it's a running joke where everyone goes "who the hell is this guy" as shinada runs around and does stuff. the last boss comes out of nowhere too, the last time we see him he's grieving morinaga (who ig uess he killed? whatever) and then all of a sudden he's getting final battles with kiryu. also like, haruka's plot is thematically important and i liked it but ultimately we didnt really need it for the game to work and it kind of feels like a distraction (although i liked that akiyama basically becomes her mentor, that felt like a good way to use him).

all that said, i really fuckin liked the writing in 5. there are tons of small amazing moments and all kinds of big badass poo poo that happens. i def teared up a little when haruka finishes her speech on stage, although i'm also glad that 6 immediately starts with her facing the consequences of that. basically every character gets a super badass moment or two and a really great character moment and imo that's the stuff that stays with you. shinada cleaning up the kuroha thugs to play an at-bat with sawada, kiryu facing down the entire tojo clan in nagoya, pretty much everything that saejima does, akiyama's ending - that's the good poo poo.

started 6 last night and i'll play a bit more tonight, i'm psyched to be back on the dragon engine. i can't believe i've only got one more kiryu story ever

I hate that they set up this huge plot with Majima's secret marriage way back and there is absolutely zero payoff to it. Such a waste. That said, I do like that Haruka from 5-6 makes the exact same mistake that Kiryu makes constantly over his entire life - leaving to "protect" people who would much rather have her there with them.

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

I love how beat down by the world Adachi in particular is. Makes their continued struggles a bit more meaningful I think.

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

Seltzer posted:

Yagami kinda sucks though. I think they could easily keep the theme of the series and just follow a new character and not much would be lost.

I wouldn't say he sucks but unlike Kiryu I like basically his entire supporting cast more than I like him. To your point though - your little nebbish buddy Hoshino apparently holds a third degree black belt.

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

SmokaDustbowl posted:

yakuza 3 is so fuckin good

Spoilers but also it gets me every time anyway and of course it happens haha

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

Judgement is hard to go back to after Lost Judgement so definitely play it first if you have any interest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

7 is an amazing first try but it shows that it’s a first try. I also think the final fight could have benefited from reverting to the standard action combat for the one on one against Masato. No tricks, no gimmicks, just Ichi going head to head with his brother understanding the full weight of it.