Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 9 days!)

Crane Fist posted:

I'm whichever one means nobody is allowed to be mean to me

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

thats cis-hetero

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

we need a chat topic. IN WHAT CONTEXT IS IT APPROPRIATE TO USE RECLAIMED SLURS go go go

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

never

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014
when it's funny

My Gimmick Name
Sep 11, 2004

honest question should i be considering myself as pansexual rather than bisexual? i feel kinda boomery asking but i had a friend who i'd fool around with (pre-covid) that identified as non-binary and i assume that's what the former covers and not the later

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

My Gimmick Name posted:

honest question should i be considering myself as pansexual rather than bisexual? i feel kinda boomery asking but i had a friend who i'd fool around with (pre-covid) that identified as non-binary and i assume that's what the former covers and not the later

the way it goes, at least here, is to also include non-binary people (hence "pan": it incorporates the whole spectrum). However, context does wonders and that is why some people (including myself) use both to help

some queer theory folks have proposed a broader utilization of panssexual in the sense of those who have no inhibition of attraction to anyone else and leaving bissexual to those who might have specifics to what degree of attraction/sexual arousal they feel in relation to their and the opposite sex: they might just feel attracted up to kissing the same sex or the opposite one, etc

this is, of course, just a category proposal, nothing set in stone or w/e, so I feel it communicates better saying pan/bi

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Historically, bi and pan are equally inclusive and mean more or less the same thing. Pansexuality as a term became popularized as a contrast to the (perceived) binary of bisexuality, but bisexuality has always included people outside of the binary. In short, use whatever term you like more. I generally stick with pan for myself but the distinction is largely irrelevant to me

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

T-man posted:

we need a chat topic. IN WHAT CONTEXT IS IT APPROPRIATE TO USE RECLAIMED SLURS go go go

whenever it triggers assholes who aren't allowed to use them

My Gimmick Name
Sep 11, 2004

dead gay comedy forums posted:

the way it goes, at least here, is to also include non-binary people (hence "pan": it incorporates the whole spectrum). However, context does wonders and that is why some people (including myself) use both to help

some queer theory folks have proposed a broader utilization of panssexual in the sense of those who have no inhibition of attraction to anyone else and leaving bissexual to those who might have specifics to what degree of attraction/sexual arousal they feel in relation to their and the opposite sex: they might just feel attracted up to kissing the same sex or the opposite one, etc

this is, of course, just a category proposal, nothing set in stone or w/e, so I feel it communicates better saying pan/bi

ty this was basically the kind of answer i was looking for

Kit Walker posted:

Historically, bi and pan are equally inclusive and mean more or less the same thing. Pansexuality as a term became popularized as a contrast to the (perceived) binary of bisexuality, but bisexuality has always included people outside of the binary. In short, use whatever term you like more. I generally stick with pan for myself but the distinction is largely irrelevant to me

yeah this was my line of thinking on it as well. appreciate both these posts!

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

T-man posted:

I used to use them in a self-deprecating manner, but then I realized that my particular brand of self-deprecating humor was actually just perpetuating really harmful poo poo that I've internalized, and by extension, was also kind of giving other people permission to treat me badly. So I don't use reclaimed slurs much anymore, but I fully support other folks' reasons for doing so and would never advocate otherwise.

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

My Gimmick Name posted:

yeah, i identify as pan because i'm attracted to people, not genders or sex bits, whatever is there we can do something fun with if things progress to that development

bisexual i feel like has some kind of additional criteria they're attracted to, which means either some adherence to gender tropes or aesthetics, even though they may be attracted and pair with anyone. it's a valid identity that has had a lot of blood shed to create and protect so it's important to keep it incorporated.

there has been tension around bisexual identity, pansexual identity, and the differences, to me all that matters is that nobody is excluded for any reason :shrug:

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
Is there anything that begins with u because it would be cool of we could out QUIAA in it, like a double entendre queer or something idk

Are unsexuals a thing? Like you're really into the undead maybe?

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Private Cumshoe posted:

Is there anything that begins with u because it would be cool of we could out QUIAA in it, like a double entendre queer or something idk

Are unsexuals a thing? Like you're really into the undead maybe?

upsexuals, it's like how people "upcycle" garbage and make into housewares they gently caress goons and make them into normal people

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

smarxist posted:

yeah, i identify as pan because i'm attracted to people, not genders or sex bits, whatever is there we can do something fun with if things progress to that development

bisexual i feel like has some kind of additional criteria they're attracted to, which means either some adherence to gender tropes or aesthetics, even though they may be attracted and pair with anyone. it's a valid identity that has had a lot of blood shed to create and protect so it's important to keep it incorporated.

there has been tension around bisexual identity, pansexual identity, and the differences, to me all that matters is that nobody is excluded for any reason :shrug:

I label myself as bi, but there aren't really any qualifications or exclusions built into that. It's more just that I've been aware of my queerness for most of my life, and "pansexual" wasn't a term that existed (or at least wasn't en vogue) when I was coming to understand my sexuality in like, 2001. I think a lot of bisexuals and pansexuals actually approach attraction in similar ways; they just have different personal relationships to those terms.

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Peanut President posted:

thats cis-hetero

:nice:

Rauros
Aug 25, 2004

wanna go grub thumping?

T-man posted:

:gay: or :lolplant:

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Peanut President posted:

upsexuals, it's like how people "upcycle" garbage and make into housewares they gently caress goons and make them into normal people

Also has the added bonus of "nothing much, what's up with you?" when people ask what it is

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Peanut President posted:

thats cis-hetero

Actually I think you'll find that's the most oppressed one of all

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Crane Fist posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-09gNDsPzQ

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Crane Fist posted:

"bring it in boys!", a giant dick shaped gay cake is carried into the room by a bunch of your first crushes in their underwear, like Chris pontius from jackass, your 5th grade gym teacher, and deion Sanders

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

More like gay-mers am I right

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

smarxist posted:

"bring it in boys!", a giant dick shaped gay cake is carried into the room by a bunch of your first crushes in their underwear, like Chris pontius from jackass, your 5th grade gym teacher, and deion Sanders

What the gently caress. Nobody likes chris pontius. He's the worst one

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

NEW TOPIC ARE ALLIES WORTH HAVING IN QUEER SPACES AND IN WHAT CASES SHOULD THEY BE DELIBERATELY EXCLUDED AAAAAAAAAH

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Crane Fist posted:

not yet :keke:

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

T-man posted:

NEW TOPIC ARE ALLIES WORTH HAVING IN QUEER SPACES AND IN WHAT CASES SHOULD THEY BE DELIBERATELY EXCLUDED AAAAAAAAAH

i only like allies that are chill about it, like if they're flag wavers with toting queer causes as cis-het, there's something going on there that needs to be examined

edit: parents of queer people being openly proud about it IS cool tho

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014

T-man posted:

Allyship is an easy mask to wear as a closeted lgbt person, annoying overeager "allies" whose performative allyship just alienates actual people who use the space is a real problem though

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

smarxist posted:

like if they're flag wavers with toting queer causes as cis-het, there's something going on there that needs to be examined

You what?

Jocoserious
Jun 9, 2014

LOOK OVER HERE!!
Hi, bisexual lurker here.

I'm been presenting casually as straight for so long I often feel like I don't belong in queer spaces, how fun! By which I mean not fun at all!

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

T-man posted:

Even the people that I think of as genuine allies I don't really like in explicitly queer spaces. But I also don't really like being around cishets at all in large numbers right now for any reason.

Syncopation
Feb 21, 2020

Jocoserious posted:

I'm been presenting casually as straight for so long I often feel like I don't belong in queer spaces, how fun! By which I mean not fun at all!

im a lesbian and same, lol. i just feel completely unable to connect in that way

i do wonder if its an age thing, also

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Jocoserious posted:

this used to be me until I shifted towards presenting as "what the gently caress side of the fence is this guy even on" which honestly didn't improve things much

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

T-man posted:

first and foremost, this might be more due to being outside anglo culture than anything else; the word "ally" and especially "allyship" annoys the gently caress out of me as a filthy communard queer

for me, it is very much a consequence and collateral damage of liberal discourse overwhelming queer dialogue. I don't want "allies", I want comrades, people who have solidarity for me and I for them. This, of course, due to the aforementioned liberal pollution, which makes a lot of left-leaning but not there yet queer people jumpy, but the real gold comes from the liberals who denounce positions such as mine as excusing straight oppression

and to foster solidarity and to form camaraderie, this means necessarily a new dynamic of action. An example that might demonstrate better what I mean: I worked bars back then and one of them, a strong lefty dive (still "alternative nightclub" though), had a couple of neon signs: "DON'T BE AN rear end in a top hat" and "IF YOU ARE WONDERING IF WHAT YOU ARE ABOUT TO DO WILL MAKE YOU AN rear end in a top hat, THEN IT PROBABLY WILL"; this, compounded by the fact the staff was very proportional (almost same number of women as the men); some men and women were queer and, finally, we had two transwomen as colleagues, meant that even though it was not traditionally coded or regarded as a queer space, it had that effect and was more potent even more so; exactly because it was subversive in that logic, so to speak, it ended up being a place where plenty of straight people hanged out and had fun and no trouble at all and the ones who would be bothersome would GTFO as soon as they realized that they were completely out of their element

that place basically was a solidarity reactor for the LGBTQ+ cause here and truly helped bring a lot of young people to support mobilizations and hell, even though it doesn't exist anymore, the first lesbian municipal representative of my city, elected this year, was a patron and also many who voted for her were

of course this is anecdotal but I hope it gives an idea of what I mean

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
it's anecdotal, but it's a critical form of pushing class consciousness; not just holding a sign at a rally for a problem, but socializing with people and just being human beings enjoying each other's company in regular social relations

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

Big shout out to Elliot Page. Always a pleasure to see a trans person in the news for a good reason for once, and selfishly, we could really use some more transmasc representation. Been happy about this all day.

RumbleFish has issued a correction as of 05:22 on Dec 2, 2020

DarkEuphoria
Nov 7, 2012

imagine hanging out with straight people on purpose, lol.

I mean, I would if a particular person were cool enough but the types of spaces I’m likely to inhabit are full of queers. I also don’t go out of my way to meet people who aren’t, and I find I generally have a lot less in common with cis-het ppl

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

DarkEuphoria posted:

I mean, I would if a particular person were cool enough but the types of spaces I’m likely to inhabit are full of queers. I also don’t go out of my way to meet people who aren’t, and I find I generally have a lot less in common with cis-het ppl

*nods*

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
I am a bi trans woman and holy poo poo am I tired of being trans today just so so so many transphobes

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

DarkEuphoria posted:

:luckyducky: over here that has places like that. In god's country you're lucky to find a tavern that ain't covered in trump flags even now

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
forcibly administer the cure to heterosexuality to all deviants and then murder them anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

blatman posted:

this used to be me until I shifted towards presenting as "what the gently caress side of the fence is this guy even on" which honestly didn't improve things much

haha, well I relate

going for the ambivalent (pun not intended) in terms of style and presentation actually made things better in the sense of feeling more comfortable with myself, which kinda helps in general? Just keep at it imo