Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

Bi trans dude checking in, what's good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

T-man posted:

we need a chat topic. IN WHAT CONTEXT IS IT APPROPRIATE TO USE RECLAIMED SLURS go go go

I used to use them in a self-deprecating manner, but then I realized that my particular brand of self-deprecating humor was actually just perpetuating really harmful poo poo that I've internalized, and by extension, was also kind of giving other people permission to treat me badly. So I don't use reclaimed slurs much anymore, but I fully support other folks' reasons for doing so and would never advocate otherwise.

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

smarxist posted:

yeah, i identify as pan because i'm attracted to people, not genders or sex bits, whatever is there we can do something fun with if things progress to that development

bisexual i feel like has some kind of additional criteria they're attracted to, which means either some adherence to gender tropes or aesthetics, even though they may be attracted and pair with anyone. it's a valid identity that has had a lot of blood shed to create and protect so it's important to keep it incorporated.

there has been tension around bisexual identity, pansexual identity, and the differences, to me all that matters is that nobody is excluded for any reason :shrug:

I label myself as bi, but there aren't really any qualifications or exclusions built into that. It's more just that I've been aware of my queerness for most of my life, and "pansexual" wasn't a term that existed (or at least wasn't en vogue) when I was coming to understand my sexuality in like, 2001. I think a lot of bisexuals and pansexuals actually approach attraction in similar ways; they just have different personal relationships to those terms.

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

Big shout out to Elliot Page. Always a pleasure to see a trans person in the news for a good reason for once, and selfishly, we could really use some more transmasc representation. Been happy about this all day.

RumbleFish has issued a correction as of 05:22 on Dec 2, 2020

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

As a bi dude (which doesn't exist) and a trans dude (which absolutely doesn't exist), I've definitely felt a little odd or uncomfortable in queer spaces since my experience is not a particularly visible one, but I'd say I've been very fortunate with my IRL community overall. It was a lot worse earlier in my transition, when I was passing among the cishets but constantly getting misgendered and perceived as a Turbo Butch among queers. For the sake of my mental health, I had to stay away from queer gatherings for two or three years, which was depressing on multiple levels, but thankfully isn't a problem for me anymore. My biggest issue these days is the rampant transphobia (and related misdirected misogyny) in gay spaces. It can be very, very hard to feel welcome as a trans man among cis queer men. I've had a lot of good and supportive experiences with individual guys, which is awesome and helps me stay positive, but the overall "vibe," so to speak, is one that can be toxic and tough to handle at times.

Casey Finnigan posted:

Maybe reasonable to not want cishet dudes around but not reasonable at all to decide who "a cishet dude" is based off the way they dress, walk, and talk.

As a straight-passing and cis-passing dude who has been extremely queer his entire life, hard agree. Also, there's such a thing as straight trans people, and while some of them may not identify as queer or have interest in the community, plenty of them do and shouldn't be barred from being around other queers because straight.

RumbleFish has issued a correction as of 16:24 on Dec 3, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

dead gay comedy forums posted:

imho a lot of those issues might have perhaps to do with the ad hoc way of LGBTQ organization that became commonplace...?

basically, without a class conscious approach and class discipline, to consider inclusivity only within a liberal point of view and that as a civic problem specifically and not as a structural factor, it becomes a matter of "validating my clique" in a selfish way; so some gay men feel that within their little corner of society, once they have an ounce of power and respectability gained from the rest, they got to boss around the others to behave and determine what is adequate or not to be proper

Yeah, I've often felt that some cis queer men (particularly white men) have a sort of "model minority" status relative to the rest of the queer community, and so a lot of their punching down is related to hanging on to that status and showing off for the cishets, basically. It's just hard to talk about these issues since, as you pointed out, people can view criticism of broader community dynamics as a personal attack, so it's really difficult to express these thoughts without wandering into that minefield.