Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Sent!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Everyone forgets that for a moment, the Taurus was actually good.

Then, of course, the Accord and Camry got much better.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Fermented Tinal posted:

I unsubbed years ago, so I guess I'm on one side of that. The guy just rubs me the wrong way these days, like AvE. Some of his reviews are hilarious though, and his delivery of the punchline to the AE86 intro was great.

I only recently unsubbed after that poo poo-take on "5w30 is too thiiiiiiin" but as it was I hadn't watched pretty much any of the regular RCR videos in ages. Whenever The Roman gets to do one, he's funnier than Mr. Regular now, and the last consistently good videos on that channel were the various car show vids. "MY CORVETTE IS BEST CORVETTE"

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I bailed on AvE when he started spiraling into anti-mask fuckhead territory.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Fermented Tinal posted:

Miatas are cheap?

Cheaper than fox bodies, sure.

Fox bodies haven't been truly cheap cars for a long time, especially now that LS-swap parts are widely available.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

CannonFodder posted:

Now for the Confessional Hour of HAVE YOU EVER?

MrChips posted:

Excessive speeding
Street racing
Made a stupid/dangerous hackjob working on my car
Ignoring a major maintenance issue
Driven fatigued
Worked on my car without proper safety equipment
Winter driving with no heat on race tires
Ran a red light
Pass on the right
Crash
Driving cars with people hanging out of or fully outside the passenger compartment

1. Worst was one terror-inducing trip to north of 120MPH in the C10.
2. In a loving W210 E320, and got ticketed for it.
3. Forgot to torque lug nuts after swapping a spare on.
4. Drove a borrowed shitbox Corsica that leaked so much water I'd stop to top it off twice during the drive because it'd start overheating.
5. There was a time where just about any length of time driving on I10 between Phoenix and Tucson would put me to sleep. In hindsight maybe it was CO poisoning? :v:
6. Who hasn't engaged Safety Squints?
7. Summer tires, but yes.
8. Unintentionally
9. If you don't do this on some freeways in AZ you're never getting past some fuckers.
10. Did a loving stupid entering a roundabout.
11. Pretty sure "bed of my truck" counts while being technically legal.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

MrChips posted:

Jeep Wrangler - 3
StormDrain
A Small Car
CornHolio

I went full sheep but I think the Wrangler legitimately might be a more likely last-one-standing. Depends on what happens first - Mazda develops a DCT for the Miata, or Jeep has to hybridize every version of the Wrangler to deal with fuel economy standards.

quote:

In the year 2525 - CAT_INTERCEPTOR

Only if we're still alive.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

WRX has a very decent argument that it'll be the last one. But in the end EV's are the real death knell - the looming new ICE bans in a decade in Europe (And Cali's 2035 ban) pretty much signals gearboxes are on the way out full stop.

Yup. Suppose that's the other endpoint - makes me wonder if anyone who doesn't have a DCT yet is even bothering with developing one since it won't translate to an EV.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

And no, manuals are not less economical or slower. Manuals will shift as fast as you can make em and do exactly what you want without the lag of a auto - let alone give a manual a moonshot gearing like an 8 speed auto and they will return the same economy.

Where manuals fail compared to autos is emissions. On every run up through the gears, you have a throttle close on every upshift in a manual, which makes the engine run lean for an instant. So you either implement a throttle delay and ruin the PuRiTy (someone plz buy the purity sticker from MCM as an emote) or you just have to deal with the increase in emissions for the manual variant of the car.

Or, you realize your take rate on manuals is dropping and you look for reasons to simplify your powertrain options and spend that much less on certifying the next generation of the car.

Barring disability, I'll never not own at least one manual, but even without EVs coming they're doomed. Automotive market gonna look weird as gently caress in 15 years when a new ICE isn't available in large parts of the world.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Mmmm. Maybe that is the case, I haven't looked. It's more for me that the dogma about new autos being better and "faster" for sporty drivers is bullshit and most the writers who spew the line know it's bullshit too.

I meant to say rich not lean but point still stands. It's something manufacturers have to account for on emissions and every year the financials around "we can sell X manual transmissions" versus "it will cost us Y to make the manual pass federal / CA standards" get worse.

Liquid Communism posted:

I still think there's zero chance in hell of this actually happening, at least in the States. Too many dollars in lobbying involved and half our elected officials are full on death cultists.

California is a big enough market on its own to count as a "large part of the world".

StormDrain posted:

I feel like Wranglers have a fine tradition of using old technology too long and selling just fine.

They'll sell fine, it's a matter of what they'll be allowed to sell while still passing emissions standards. They only stopped using the 4.0 because it would have cost more to make it pass emissions than it did to use something without its roots in a 1960's AMC design.

CannonFodder posted:

At some point Wranglers will be delivered tires up to the purcasher so they can flip them over and drive away fix whatever broke in the flip and drive away.

Don't worry, they already have the extra parts.

If this sort of thing let them end-run around emissions standards, I could legitimately see people buying new frames/tubs like that.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Ugh. I hate the PT so much I mentally block it out.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

STR posted:

The ones on my first Saturn were pretty decent. They'd come on about when I'd usually flip them on (unless it was raining during the day), stayed on 30 seconds after shutting off the car, and you could disable them if you wanted (though you had to disable them every time you started the car).

The stupid thing about "raining" is that on any remotely modern car with a CAN (whether actual CAN or one of the early Jeep systems like PCI), there's no reason the car shouldn't be smart enough to say "oh, wipers are on? headlights go on too". My '03 Grand Cherokee had this as something you could configure using the multifunction display.

The latter part you mention (disable every time on startup) should be mandatory, especially in the modern era of gauges being backlit 100% of the time. My MS3 and Grand Cherokee both had automatic headlights with a traditional detent-based switch, where there was a true "off" position. My Canyon has what you describe, where "off" is a soft-off that resets every time the truck starts.

I don't think I've driven in enough rain in the Canyon yet to notice if it automatically turns on the headlights when the wipers go on, but I wouldn't be surprised if it does. It also turns the lights on generally when or before I would normally.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

meatpimp posted:

Congrats, IOC, even if I hadn't balked on "seat belts," you'd have beaten me.

I thought I was done for sure when I loving whiffed (though amazingly, didn't completely wolf) with the McLaren F1 instead of the DMC12.

Charles posted:

Also AI mods as winners -- it's only natural.

NO MODS NO MASTERS

ONLY MILK GIMPS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

In my Jeep, I have my mask hanging off my shifter :v:

MrChips, thank you for another outstanding game. For shits and grins, any stats on winning score as a percentage of maximum score?