Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

About the Game

Banjo Kazooie is a legendary 3D platformer for the Nintendo 64. It has been LP’d countless times by many amazing players. In particular it holds a special place in my own heart as the game the cemented my own friendship with Yorkshire Tea and it remains one of our favourites to replay to this day.

The Legend of Zelda the Ocarina time is a somehow, even more legendary Action Adventure game also released on the Nintendo 64. It needs no introduction and similarly has been played upside down, inside out and in every which way by people around the world.

What more can be said or done with these games? What new take could possibly exist on them in the year 2020?

Mark Kurko is a 32 year old Spanish game modder who began his modding journey all the way back on 2014. He set about making hacks of Banjo Kazooie, a favourite of his, starting with Bob-omb Newfield, a port of the famous Super Mario 64 level to Banjo Kazooie.

This led to an attempt to create the Kokiri Forest for Banjo and Kazooie to explore and this single level spiralled into a six year modding marathon resulting in the creation of this game: The Legend of Banjo Kazooie: The Jiggies of Time.

I was, simply put, amazed when I saw the demos of this game, a combination of the collectathon goodness of Banjo alongside the excellent world and level design of Ocarina of Time, Jiggies of Time straddles two games and two genres that to put simply, Tea and I adore with all our hearts.

So what better game to play with and enjoy in these difficult times? We hope you enjoy the ride with us.

About the LP

Tea and I have played both Banjo Kazooie and Ocarina of Time extensively. We claim to have the world record for the drunkest 100% clear of Banjo Kazooie ever. But of course, we’ve never played this mod and will be paying special attention to the adaptation of Banjo Kazooie gameplay into the world of Zelda. Expect us to be harsh with our criticism but generous with our praise as well.

For the moment, I’ll be taking the wheel as Tea can ill afford to join me at home to record. But suffice to say that when we are able to see each other in person again, Tea will be chomping at the bit to have a go himself. (At which point we'll, in true co-op platforming form, play level by level and life by life.)

Art and banners, will, as ever, be handled by the amazing Bifauxnen.

Episodes:

Useful Links:

The LP Beach Cross Thread - In case you don't feel comfortable posting on the SA forums or need to view this outside of a paywall.

Our Patreon! - In case you want to support our LPs and see episodes early!

Natural 20 fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Jul 8, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I'm absolutely delighted by the OoT music re-done using the Banjo-Kazooie soundfont or whatever. Definitely going to be watching this one.

Do the different save slots in the start menu have different musical tracks like they do in original BK?

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

The SA Thread link in the video description is linking to your Metroid Fusion LP.

This sounds like it's going to be awesome, I had no idea it existed.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Well this already looks amazing. :allears:

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I recently discovered this romhack and it really impressed me what someone has managed to do. Maybe I'm just easily impressed to see 3d romhacks being more common

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008
So, the mod instructions specifically tell you that if it's your first time playing Jiggies of Time don't skip the move tutorials. If you do there are a couple problems with this first area.

First of all, Eggs and Shock Jump aren't "basic moves", you still need to go through all of the Lost Woods to get those before you can access all of Kokiri Forest. Streamers who choose to unlock the basic moves immediately tend to carefully explore the main Kokiri area and collect all the notes first (because they can jump) which is all wasted time because you lose the notes going into Lost Woods.

Second, if the moves are already unlocked Bottles won't tell you anything in the Woods, including how to get through it. You have to find the underwater tunnel behind the leaves and the secret hole under the beehive by yourself.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

"Great, more padding." You said it Kazooie. I've never finished watching anyone LP Banjo for just that reason, here's hoping that this is the first I do.

White Coke
May 29, 2015
Looking forward to seeing how much of your childhoods this romhack will destroy.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

C-Euro posted:

I'm absolutely delighted by the OoT music re-done using the Banjo-Kazooie soundfont or whatever. Definitely going to be watching this one.

Do the different save slots in the start menu have different musical tracks like they do in original BK?

Each of the slots has differing versions of the theme you heard. When we get a moment we'll go through them and show them off!

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
That rendition of the Game Over theme in the shop was precious.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

I kinda wanna play this now.

Also, I think where there was a treasure chest by the bridge with the Jinjo, there might have been a Shock Jump pad hidden under that...

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

Quackles posted:

I kinda wanna play this now.

Also, I think where there was a treasure chest by the bridge with the Jinjo, there might have been a Shock Jump pad hidden under that...

The chest was completely blocked off by a fence, you can't reach it from the bridge.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
Echoing Nat's comment that the creator really has the B-K dialogue down pat. The writing is almost always the worst part of any romhack so it's a nice surprise to see Kurko actually putting in the effort.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

So how are you supposed to open the chest?

What if you fired eggs at it?

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I'm guessing the last five notes were somewhere in the training area. Maybe there was a hidden jump pad you couldn't use previously to get you on top of the big pillar in the center or something. I went back and watched that part again, and didn't see anything obvious.

ThCawdor
Apr 23, 2010

Nidoking posted:

I'm guessing the last five notes were somewhere in the training area. Maybe there was a hidden jump pad you couldn't use previously to get you on top of the big pillar in the center or something. I went back and watched that part again, and didn't see anything obvious.

I just figured they were in the 'Hole of Z' area, I don't think they went back in there after the tutorial.

White Coke
May 29, 2015
I was going to ask if this game had any mechanics from Twooie, but you answered that in the video. Are any of the enemies from Ocarina of Time?

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008
Natural 20: Do you want to know where the last 5 notes were? I assume you're not planning on redoing the level to find them. Also, you didn't find the 2nd hollow honeycomb (2 per level, except for Lost Woods which has 6, just like Banjo Kazooie).

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Chew on that... you overgrown son of a bitch.

Maybe it's a bit late for this suggestion, but I don't suppose note hunting could wait until after you have talon trot ready to go?

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
We won't be note hunting on screen if we can avoid it. If I have to go back and update high note scores I'll put up a bonus video showing where the notes are but we're *very* aware that searching for 5 notes or whatever on every level would be super boring.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
This is very cool! Why don't we see many romhacks of this era of games? Is it a lot more challenging than the 16-bit era or are people just less interested in playing with this generation?

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

I haven't said much about this hack yet but I'm finding it really interesting to watch, I wouldn't have expected this to work nearly as well as it does. (I also hadn't been expecting them to literally redo all the Zelda areas in Banjo textures etc, I was expecting it to be closer to just reusing the Zelda geometry.) They've also definitely got the writing down, which helps; this feels more like a new Banjo game and less like a level pack than I'd been expecting.

It's... interesting. I have absolutely no desire to play this and think I'd almost certainly hate it, but I'm glad you guys are enjoying it, and it's seriously impressing me as what it is. (For some reason I was never able to get into the Banjo games at all, I remember buying B-K as one of my first games when I got an n64 as a kid and it just didn't grab me the way, say, Mario 64 did. Something about collectathons just always rubbed me the wrong way, despite it being tricky to draw a line between them and 3d platformers more broadly, I still haven't figured out quite what the issue is.)

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
Initial impression:
Oh loving cool

As time wore on:

n.... no. no. nonononononononNONONONONONONONO

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
This hack rules so far but yeah I do not miss the original Note collection rules at all. IMO that was one of the best changes going from the first game to the second one.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

C-Euro posted:

This hack rules so far but yeah I do not miss the original Note collection rules at all. IMO that was one of the best changes going from the first game to the second one.

I though the original note collection rules were because they didn't have SRAM space to store them. So they were papering over that fact.

You'll note that in Tooie, notes are almost always found in nests (groups of 5).

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

Quackles posted:

I though the original note collection rules were because they didn't have SRAM space to store them. So they were papering over that fact.

You'll note that in Tooie, notes are almost always found in nests (groups of 5).

Wow, that makes a surprising amount of sense, but also... seriously? Time for some maths.

Off the top of my head here... how many notes were in the game? 1000ish? If we save the collected status of the notes into 1-bit flags, you'd need something like 16 64-bit words (I don't know for sure if the "64 bit" n64 used a 64-bit word size, I'd have guessed it did but nothing is certain with that thing), or 32 32-bit words if it didn't; more relevantly, this is 125 total bits of storage which you can fully specify with an 8-bit address. So we're looking at 8 bits of storage for what address to write the flag for each of these 1000ish notes, that's just under 8MB, with some additional minor overhead for functions to actually interpret this data... okay, that wouldn't have been trivial with N64 ROM sizes. I think I've convinced myself it's a real problem and you're probably right.

Edit: d'oh, 8 bits x 1000 is just under 1MB, not 8MB. wtf, my brain? It's still not insignificant at the file sizes we're talking about (and still probably does explain why tracking them was impractical) but it's not quite as huge as I thought.

Explopyro fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Dec 4, 2020

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Quackles posted:

I could believe that, did Tooie require the N64 expansion pack? I know DK64 did and had its own version of note pickups in the bananas (which also remembered when they were picked up)

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Explopyro posted:

or 32 32-bit words if it didn't;

The N64 (or rather, the R4300i inside the N64) is set to run at 32-bit mode at almost all times - the N64's bus is only 32 bits.

EDIT: Also, Banjo-Kazooie uses a 4-kilobit (yes, kilobit - that's .5KB) EEPROM to save its data. Banjo-Tooie uses a much bigger EEPROM - 16Kbit (4KB). So that's an additional consideration.

SECOND EDIT: DK64 also uses a 16Kbit EEPROM for saves.

Quackles fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Dec 3, 2020

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

C-Euro posted:

I could believe that, did Tooie require the N64 expansion pack? I know DK64 did and had its own version of note pickups in the bananas (which also remembered when they were picked up)

Oh god, you want a true collectathon hell? Imagine a DK64 with banjo-kazooie note total rules for it's bananas.

Quantum Toast
Feb 13, 2012

NewMars posted:

Oh god, you want a true collectathon hell? Imagine a DK64 with banjo-kazooie note total rules for it's bananas.
...somehow I know it also resets if you switch Kongs.

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

NewMars posted:

That actually doesn't matter too much for DK64 because you use bananas to access the bosses and the boss doors only check how many bananas you got in the current level. There's no reason to return to previous levels for a higher banana count.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

whitehelm posted:

That actually doesn't matter too much for DK64 because you use bananas to access the bosses and the boss doors only check how many bananas you got in the current level. There's no reason to return to previous levels for a higher banana count.

There is actually! You need bananas for the banana medals for 100% completion.

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

Natural 20 posted:

There is actually! You need bananas for the banana medals for 100% completion.

Well ok, but even those only require 75 bananas per kong each level, and you only need 15/40 to beat the game normally. Banjo Kazooie requires all the notes for 100%, and 90% of the notes to clear the last required note door to fight the last boss (higher if you want the optional upgrades at the end). Plus the earlier note doors require less than 90%, so there's a chance even when not going for 100% you'll give up on a level early because you have enough to continue, only to find out later that you absolutely have to completely redo levels just to finish the game.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Most of you seem to be forgetting that there are 100 bananas per Kong in each level, and therefore you need 100 bananas per Kong. Otherwise, there will be bananas that you didn't collect, and that results in uncollected bananas.

Leamonde
Aug 2, 2012

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

Echoing Nat's comment that the creator really has the B-K dialogue down pat. The writing is almost always the worst part of any romhack so it's a nice surprise to see Kurko actually putting in the effort.

Also parroting how pleasantly surprised I am with the quality of the dialogue.

Nidoking posted:

Most of you seem to be forgetting that there are 100 bananas per Kong in each level, and therefore you need 100 bananas per Kong. Otherwise, there will be bananas that you didn't collect, and that results in uncollected bananas.

What huh :psyduck:

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Nidoking posted:

The first rule of the tautology club is the first rule of the tautology club.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Going to chime in that I'm very tickled by the writing being quite on point. Really looking forward to seeing more, especially what they do with the rest of the child map. I'm curious if they actually will have you go through the full adult map.