Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Well this already looks amazing. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

I kinda wanna play this now.

Also, I think where there was a treasure chest by the bridge with the Jinjo, there might have been a Shock Jump pad hidden under that...

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

So how are you supposed to open the chest?

What if you fired eggs at it?

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

C-Euro posted:

This hack rules so far but yeah I do not miss the original Note collection rules at all. IMO that was one of the best changes going from the first game to the second one.

I though the original note collection rules were because they didn't have SRAM space to store them. So they were papering over that fact.

You'll note that in Tooie, notes are almost always found in nests (groups of 5).

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Explopyro posted:

or 32 32-bit words if it didn't;

The N64 (or rather, the R4300i inside the N64) is set to run at 32-bit mode at almost all times - the N64's bus is only 32 bits.

EDIT: Also, Banjo-Kazooie uses a 4-kilobit (yes, kilobit - that's .5KB) EEPROM to save its data. Banjo-Tooie uses a much bigger EEPROM - 16Kbit (4KB). So that's an additional consideration.

SECOND EDIT: DK64 also uses a 16Kbit EEPROM for saves.

Quackles fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Dec 3, 2020

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Nidoking posted:

Most of you seem to be forgetting that there are 100 bananas per Kong in each level, and therefore you need 100 bananas per Kong. Otherwise, there will be bananas that you didn't collect, and that results in uncollected bananas.

The first rule of the tautology club is the first rule of the tautology club.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

I really, really want to play this now.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

This game is amazing, but there are a few pain points later on.

• Tricky platforming challenges like this
• Heavy (perhaps too heavy) use of whipcrack vines and clouds of bees (which interrupt Banjo's moves and can only be killed with the Wonderwing)
• A few bottomless pits in some particularly obnoxious sections - which can make you lose an entire level's notes.

May I recommend busting out the save states? Just in case. (I did.)

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

White Coke posted:

Are evil Jiggies unique to this game?

I believe that's a reskinned version of another enemy, specifically Flotsam (the animated life ring) from Rusty Bucket Bay.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Oh man, I beat the game on version 1.2. It's good to know that 1.3 is out.

Btw, looking at the patch notes, it seems 1.3 also fixes a few other unfortunate pain points later on, so I do recommend getting it.

But yeah, I'm looking forward to once you find Mumbo in Castle Town. :allears:

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

The last 5 notes are in the Temple of Time 2nd level. There's a hint about how to get there in the dungeons.

Also I admit I loved the Rickroll :allears: If you sit around there long enough, it segues into Robo's theme from Chrono Trigger.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Huh, I might have missed that Mumbo token on that side of the windmill.

Looking forward to Death Mountain!

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

And you're still only at 6 jiggies... man, this is getting interesting.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Nice job finding all the notes and jiggies in Death Mountain!

A few tips:

• Conserve your golden feathers! You're going to have to do that trick you did with the bees again later on.

• Fun fact: If you update to version 1.3, that steep slope you had to slide down twice becomes climbable with Talon Trot. A number of other pain points are fixed.

Cythereal posted:

Agreed. The hack is really impressive and I'm enjoying the LP a lot, but holy gently caress does the game itself look unfun to play.

It's not unfun, but you have to like exploring and poking your nose everywhere. At the start, each individual world took me about 1 1/2 hours to clear. By the end of the game, that figure had become closer to 2 or 2 1/2 hours.

There were a few obnoxious bits towards the end, notably situations where you can be in trouble if you run out of golden feathers or eggs or Mumbo tokens. I used save states and GS codes to get past a good number of those...

Quackles fucked around with this message at 11:12 on Dec 24, 2020

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Wow, congrats on getting the ice slide thing and the bees at the top of that Talon Trot ramp in one try! In the latter case, I kept getting interrupted before I could go into Wonderwing and the bees killed me. (The 1.3 patch removes them.)

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

I think the idea with Bird Cliff is that you're supposed to only dodge the birds (there is enough time to go past them if you wait for them to do the 3-snap and go quickly afterwards, I think).

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Nice job so far!

For the tenth jiggy, check the large pipe just by Jabu-Jabu's tail. If you could somehow destroy the Whipcrack on top...

For the green Jinjo, don't overthink it. Stand to the right of the pipe, then jump as hard as you can. It may take many tries.

I've recorded a video on how to get the Jinjo, though it took me about ten more tries than are shown.

Quackles fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Dec 31, 2020

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Wow, nice job with the high dive! I admit I just used save states :sweatdrop:

I'm just going to make a note that there's still a Mumbo Token in that pipe in Zora's Domain, just in case you need it later.

And yeah, Lake Hylia and the Water Temple is meant to be the 7th level, not the 6th.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Natural 20 posted:

We actually managed to grab that one! It just got cut because it was part of the 5 minutes of excruciating attempts to get into the pipe.

Get Into the Pipe, Banjo: Let's Play Banjo-Kazooie: The Jiggies of Time :v:

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Nice job with the climbing tower! There's another Mumbo Token hidden in the upper left corner.

Regarding the race, it turns out jumping while using the running shoes (not counting the trick where you can keep them longer) slows you down just a hair. So it's best to run all the way. (I had to figure this out to get the Mario Kart jiggy.)
Seriously, though, Mark should add, like, 3 seconds to his timers.

The ferris wheel jump with the Running Shoes is wack, and it's a pity the wheel is subject to the alpha bug. (The struts of the ferris wheel are being treated as having a transparent window between them - but the layers for alpha are... drawn out of order or something. So Banjo and Kazooie are covered up by the window. I'm not a graphics expert.) So yeah, bleh. I used savestates for that.

Also, don't forget the Mumbo Token on the roof of Brentilda's tent!

...I'm sorry if the Mumbo Token signposting is getting annoying. I'm just trying to save you a certain annoyance where I didn't have enough later on.

Quackles fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Jan 7, 2021

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Quantum Toast posted:

That ferris wheel seems like it'd be reasonable enough without the graphical glitch (and maybe one more jump pad near the top).

That timer door closing two seconds early is pretty absurd, though. I wonder if the original object in BK did something similar.

I think that door is one of the pyramid doors in Gobi's Valley... and I suspect it's easier to get through when the door is vertical, rather than horizontal.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

And. They'll love it and hate it.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

This is going to be fun. :allears:

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

I predict the forest temple is gonna be 4+ episodes to get everything. :allears:

Also, I honestly enjoyed Grunty's Revenge. Though, I did get it from a friend for a very favorable trade, so I didn't spend '30 quid' for it or any such. That might be coloring my interpretation.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

I admit I love the RAT A TAT RAP NOT HERE puzzle. :allears:

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Tip: 'Take a Look Behind' refers to first-person mode.

Seriously, I love how puzzly this has been so far, though. :allears: Nice job on getting all 100 Notes!

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

I absolutely love the puzzle you couldn't solve and I wouldn't give you the solution for the world. :allears:

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Niiice!

I'm going to put a pin in that underwater chest by the pillars, just in case you forget it.

Also, your N64 games cost £70 then? Good grief.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Geemer posted:

That climb to the Dark Link room is such a pain. I never found another way to get up there other than try a dozen times with the talon trot.

Same. Note that the waterfall pit is not a warp pit. If you fall in there, you lose all your notes and have to start the level over!

Sadly, as far as I know there's no alternate route to the other side.

PS: Don't forget the Mumbo Token on the flagpole!

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Procrastine posted:

I'm not ashamed to say I looked up the intended solution for the slope room when I played this. It involves knowing about a weird quirk of steep surfaces where starting a backflip quickly after landing lets you jump off without sliding, which lets you get a bit more height than Talon Trot jumping and barely reach the ledges. Very well telegraphed, thanks Kurko

I'm sorry, what? I had no idea.

I'm calling that bad design.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Someone mentions the 'intended' way to get it upthread, which I think isn't worth your time. I got it with a pair of frame-perfect Talon Trot jumps. Save states were involved.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Niiice.

One thing I think the game doesn't signpost properly is that on that path of stone columns, the bottom-most stone has a hidden switch on it. There's probably a hint for that, but I never found it.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Geemer posted:

Brentilda tells you to check out what Procrastine said.

Yeah, I looked around in there and still didn't find it '^_^

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

quiznossubs92 posted:

I remember hating Gerudo for how many gold feathers it forces you to have, over and over again.

Yeah, there's a certain bit with some bees we haven't seen yet that I found really really obnoxious and unfortunate. I'll mention it when it shows up in the video.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Wow, nice job on having enough gold feathers when you got to bee-guarded Shock Jump pad! When I played, I had run out of gold feathers and had also used up all the ones in the level.

I refused to exit the level and lose all my notes (you have to get to Mumbo's by riding that carpet, and some notes are only available either while transformed or once you've done stuff while transformed), so I ended up GameSharking in more gold feathers instead.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

The mysterious text on the wall says, WE WANT BANJO-THREEIE.

The actual hints are on those two snake statues, and at least one regards the spirit temple statue (which you already did), so...

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

I've found that the author usually (not always) tends to group notes in clumps of 5. So, a good rule of thumb is, when you're getting the notes from a location, "Did I just grab 5 notes from right around here?"

Of course, that does require you to be paying attention to distribution each and every time you collect notes, and it occasionally doesn't hold. So it's a bit of an ask.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

So, remember how Brentilda said there's a hint in the green tent as to the flight pad switch?

It took some doing, but I finally found it.

Here is Banjo in the back of the tent. If we go into first person mode...

...the hint is behind the crate!

I didn't find that even though I combed the game world really carefully. (I also didn't notice there was a boulder enemy at the top of the waterfall even though I was up there as the broom a lot.)

I give this one a verdict of Hey, That's Not Fair.

Also, to get deeper into the Temple of Time, some of the columns can be climbed. There's a hint to this in the dungeon, I think.

Quackles fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Feb 4, 2021

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Geemer posted:

This one was the first hidden stage I found and I absolutely love the design. The jiggies are kinda too well hidden in the hidden stages, if you ask me.
I had to resort to the museum's final hints to find any of them. :negative:

Pretty much exactly this. I do love the hidden stages. My first was actually the one they haven't yet showed, and my reaction was, "Who MADE this?!" in the same way that that Don't Eat the Mushroom LPer does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Fun fact: Groggy doesn't appear until you've spoken to Brentilda. Until then, the chair'll be empty. I have no idea how Kurko did that.

Bonus fun fact: The other sign on the wall in the Shrine bonus level reads KURKO MODS