Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: bagmonkey)

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
I don't get Scott Pilgrim either. It was slightly entertaining just because it was weird and had a few good jokes, but I have no idea what it was about (I mean really about). It didn't seem to have any message or anything to say about anything. I don't know why it was made or what it wanted to do. If the timeline could make sense one might just assume it was viral marketing for Atari.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Dredd

saw this when it came out and had heard a lot of hype but I also heard a lot of comparisons to the raid, a movie which people really hyped me on but fell kinda flat for me because nonstop action isn't actually what I want out of a movie

they're very similar, stripped down, barely a story, working their way through a building brutally taking down bad guys in room after room

I appreciated what they were doing but neither the raid nor dread got me invested in the story and I became numb to the action

I didn't hate either of them, just wasn't crazy about them

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Southland Tales

I don't know if I'd call this a good movie, but I did really enjoy how completely batshit it was in every way

I have recommended this movie to people, but only very specific people

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

tune the FM in to static and pretend that its the sea
Yeah I liked Scott pilgrim when it came out but it targets a very specific demographic that I've aged out of and it is kind of shallow.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Rosencrantz and guildenstern are dead

pretty sure I saw this but I am not really a big shakespeare fan, so I feel like I wasn't really prepared for it

also it came out in 1990 so I may have been 5

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Aardvark! posted:

Summer of '84

I could have swore I watched this but after checking out the first half of the trailer I think I must have mixed it up with one of those other 80s throwback movies

I'll give it a shot

I'm open to more suggestions too

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Meme Poker Party posted:

I don't get Scott Pilgrim either. It was slightly entertaining just because it was weird and had a few good jokes, but I have no idea what it was about (I mean really about). It didn't seem to have any message or anything to say about anything. I don't know why it was made or what it wanted to do. If the timeline could make sense one might just assume it was viral marketing for Atari.

ey man if ya wanna get a princess you gotta fight all the bowsers

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

Starting Pan's Labyrinth. I tried to watch it a couple days ago but the subtitles were glitching out. Seems fine now

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

that's a good movie

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Edgar Wright's last movie, Baby Driver, was great. I've seen it a few times at this point and I'm actively forcing myself to not rewatch it again for a while because I'm gonna wear the movie out.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
wtf there are birds chirping outside my window rn. It’s 1:00 AM, this isn’t chirpy time!

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

that's me

cheep cheep cheep

Shithouse Dave
Aug 5, 2007

each post manufactured to the highest specifications

I came to check out the goon rear end in page 102 and I was not disappointed. Reminds me a bit of my ex-boyfriend. Thanks goon.

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

Shithouse Dave posted:

I came to check out the goon rear end in page 102 and I was not disappointed. Reminds me a bit of my ex-boyfriend. Thanks goon.

Yw I was just trying to make someone laugh

Also this movie so good and it had been way too long since I'd seen it. Now also wanting to read some Marquez even though I've never finished any of his books

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Meme Poker Party posted:

It's about being a terrible 20ish failson and how you can stop being one

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
I can't remember the last film I watched

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Had some real good work news today after an almost entire year of poo poo (like everyone else)

so please enjoy the page 112 official theme song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GwjfUFyY6M

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

I'm celebratin

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=roRQ2mNwMMQ

Prof. Crocodile
Jun 27, 2020

op have you seen The Vast Of Night?

It is a very understated, atmospheric, character-driven scifi movie set in Roswell New Mexico in the 1950's. It's really good, and it's not the sort of thing that's been done to death--like the "fight through a building" premise or the "superheroes destroy a whole city" setpiece.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

Bag Flying At Noon, (2024)
Hell yeah let’s get some positivity in here! I’m trying to stop eating like less of a pig and be more active...already dropped a few lbs! 5 more to go and I’ll be back to pre-quarantine weight.

Ventral EggSac
Dec 3, 2019

Seconding The Vast of Night, other recs:

Black Sheep (2006 - not the Chris Farley one, though that one's great too)

The city of lost children

Hunt for the Wilderpeople

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Ventral EggSac posted:

Really enjoyed this one

Schurik
Sep 13, 2008

Scott pilgrim is good if you read the comics, which devalues the movie a bit but the sorry gets fleshed out

Also watch Ghost Story

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

fridge corn posted:

I can't remember the last film I watched

Yeah this.

My BF made an attempt at finding a film about a gay couple where they ended up
1) alive
1a) and not sick/dying at the end of the movie
2) happy
3) together
so I ended up being in the room for a handful of those, but I can't genuinely say I watched them.
He found just a single one - and it was by Hallmark, which I guess is fitting.

There's kind of a surplus of gay-couple movies where one of them dies, almost as bad as the dead parents in Disney movies. I guess all the directors are in the "started dating during the AIDS epidemic" age and still have some trauma to process?

Prof. Crocodile
Jun 27, 2020

Ventral EggSac posted:

ITT we didn't chose the skux life, the skux life chose us.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

DarkSoulsTantrum posted:

Hell yeah let’s get some positivity in here! I’m trying to stop eating like less of a pig and be more active...already dropped a few lbs! 5 more to go and I’ll be back to pre-quarantine weight.

Awesome work dude/dudette!

I'm trying to get back on the Couch to 5k regime in the mornings to work off my lockdown podge. But just had my evening run, and the birds were very horny for spring.

Times are good!

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

I had covid early and it's seriously messing with my heart and lungs still, it's so much harder to work out which sucks because I've gained a lot of weight too ugh

On the positive side though I'm loving doing it, my body can betray me all it wants but I ain't giving up

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Life

it's good

a starchy tuber
Sep 9, 2002

hi yes I'm very normal
I just got my 2nd vaccine dose, who wants to spit in my mouth?

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

Sure Carl

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

I stopped reading the trump thread awhile back. I caved and peeked at a page and it was just dozens of screenshots of fox news that all made my blood boil so I noped out

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Revins posted:

I stopped reading the trump thread awhile back. I caved and peeked at a page and it was just dozens of screenshots of fox news that all made my blood boil so I noped out

Staying informed is one thing, but those folks are just lowering themselves Terminator 2 style into a giant vat of negative energy and stewing in it. It's no way to live!

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

I keep listening to 538 podcasts about US politics. Why do I even care about the republican attempts to make it harder to vote in Georgia - I've never sat foot in the US.

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

Idk why do people rubberneck at car crashes

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

Bag Flying At Noon, (2024)

Computer viking posted:

I keep listening to 538 podcasts about US politics. Why do I even care about the republican attempts to make it harder to vote in Georgia - I've never sat foot in the US.

Maybe you have an ounce of compassion for other human beings?

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
I should be used to it by now, but for some reason the look of unwrapped maps that 3D programs use for human beings will never stop being funny to me.

This is what they are supposed to look like.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

I watched Summer of 84 and it was ok. There was some stuff in there I hated though, like making the main kid a peeping tom who gets caught and then the girl is into it. In fact, the whole movie would have been better if you dropped that ex-babysitter entirely. Also they could get rid of that kid who won't stop saying hilarious lines like, "that's what your mom said when I was loving her".

The movie is pretty well made and has some good performances but it's held back by being so incredibly rote. There are absolutely no surprises until the last 10 minutes of the movie, and while that 10 minutes didn't make much sense it did elevate the movie.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Prof. Crocodile posted:

op have you seen The Vast Of Night?

It is a very understated, atmospheric, character-driven scifi movie set in Roswell New Mexico in the 1950's. It's really good, and it's not the sort of thing that's been done to death--like the "fight through a building" premise or the "superheroes destroy a whole city" setpiece.

Yeah, I saw it. It is certainly a novel premise, instead of "fight through a building" it's "talk through a whole movie" :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Meme Poker Party posted:

I should be used to it by now, but for some reason the look of unwrapped maps that 3D programs use for human beings will never stop being funny to me.

This is what they are supposed to look like.

One time I was playing Mount and Blade and for reasons that still escape me to this day the entire skybox image was replaced with a random character models unwrapped face and the entire sky was a dark haired mustachioed mans face

I deeply regret not taking any screenshots