Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: bagmonkey)

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Yeah, pretty much same for me. I've always been very open to all food and trying new/everything so it'd be kinda hard to have a 180. I guess there's things that I choose not to eat, such as canned asparagus, though I'm not really sure if that counts as being picky over something or just something that flat out isn't good to begin with, like it doesn't even resemble the thing it's supposed to be. Or even more a 'ok there's a specific preparation of one item I don't enjoy', as opposed to saying something like "I won't eat potatoes" or whatever. Which is like saying "I refuse to drink juice. All juice. Any kind." or what have you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I love ALL seafoods basically every thing I've ever tried is fantastic

EXCEPT I can't stand Salmon for some reason. It just tastes terrible to me, and I really want to like it

I also got served jellyfish once in some traditional chinese preparation and.... it was unpleasant texturally and had basically no flavor of it's own so I would not choose to eat it again

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-7Uh_qVW5k

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

tune the FM in to static and pretend that its the sea
sashimi isn't something I've tried. plain ol' sushi a bunch of times because I've been around other people eating it enough but never sashimi

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

this syncs up with your av quite well

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

e: this was in response to The Bloop;

Like are you talking smoked salmon, salmon as sushi, salmon loaf? Given the various types of prep it varies in flavor wildly, so that's kind of an odd one, especially since it's pretty "Not fish-like" of most fish stuffs, which ya, everybody says about everything sea food related, but you know what I mean. Hell it doesn't even look like other fish meats.

That sucks though, because it's pretty enjoyable for those of us who can get down with it. I've never had jellyfish, I'm kinda jealous, actually. I imagine my experience would be similar to yours, but I'd still do it. I pride myself on trying new, weird poo poo, so I'd totally go for it. For some reason I'd have imagined it being like calamari, but thinking about it more it seems obvious that it wouldn't be.

Revins posted:

sashimi isn't something I've tried. plain ol' sushi a bunch of times because I've been around other people eating it enough but never sashimi

It's very 'clean' flavored. If I had to compare it to something, oddly enough it'd be 'nuts' (and no not 'lol hurrr nuts'). A mild, buttery, nuttiness, like an almond or walnut. Granted this will vary on WHAT sashimi you're eating, but as a whole, yea.

Big Beef City fucked around with this message at 16:27 on May 14, 2021

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

orc women
that is all

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PBsjggc5jHM

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Am I nuts or did this guy just die or something?

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Jellyfish at chinese places is alright, but you can basically buy it at like 99 ranch (or whatever asian grocery) and its basically the same. The texture is kinda... Rubber crunchy? Kinda hard to describe. But it just tasted like anything else thats been pickled

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

hbag posted:

orc women
that is all

Can't live with em, can't live without em

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

Literally A Person posted:

Am I nuts or did this guy just die or something?

huh, on April 22 apparently. I was unaware of this, your post just made me think of this for some reason so I posted it

SAD NOW

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

It turns out that it WAS his chance to do the hump.

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

oh, BIG food 180: sauerkraut. thought it was the grossest thing as a kid, now I consider a good reuben to be the food of the gods

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Big Beef City posted:

e: this was in response to The Bloop;

Like are you talking smoked salmon, salmon as sushi, salmon loaf? Given the various types of prep it varies in flavor wildly, so that's kind of an odd one, especially since it's pretty "Not fish-like" of most fish stuffs, which ya, everybody says about everything sea food related, but you know what I mean. Hell it doesn't even look like other fish meats.

Any way I've had it. I've wondered if there's like a cilantro genetic thing with me and salmon

Not sure what exactly "salmon loaf" is though

Like a crab cake maybe or like an actual fish meatloaf

Prof. Crocodile
Jun 27, 2020

The Bloop posted:

Any way I've had it. I've wondered if there's like a cilantro genetic thing with me and salmon

Not sure what exactly "salmon loaf" is though

Like a crab cake maybe or like an actual fish meatloaf

I feel like you can just skip any food called '____ loaf'.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Prof. Crocodile posted:

I feel like you can just skip any food called '____ loaf'.

I generally agree with this

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Meatloaf is good tho. Its not top tier or anything, but its a good, easy way to deal with the lesser cuts that doesn't taste terrible with the right sauce.

I hated it as a child, but as an adult I have had plenty that I enjoyed.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

hbag posted:

orc women
that is all

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

lol, it's a recipe I've stolen and adapted from my mom and it's totally a 60-70's monstrosity, but I grew up eating it and still have a love for it.
What you do is:

You get a couple cans of salmon, clean up the salmon within (since it usually has skin, etc on it) put it into a bowl, add panko crumbs, lemon juice, minced onion, fresh dill and some other bits I'm forgetting.
Form into a meatloaf, and bake.
I top mine with a thin 'glaze' of hollandaise when it comes out along with more fresh dill and lemon wedges to serve. Obviously you could do a ton of things different. Change out the dill for some other herbs and your favorite 'asian zing stir fry sauce' and or glaze with the same, or teriyaki, for example, whatever.

It's not Michelin star winning, but it's a comfort food/good weeknight dinner, with a side of asparagus or other green vegetable.

Prof. Crocodile
Jun 27, 2020

RFC2324 posted:

Meatloaf is good tho. Its not top tier or anything, but its a good, easy way to deal with the lesser cuts that doesn't taste terrible with the right sauce.

I hated it as a child, but as an adult I have had plenty that I enjoyed.

This is a fair point.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

Adding some italian sausage to your meatloaf kicks it up a notch

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Food thoughts:

:agreed: on Mac and Cheese. Really not a food for adults imo.

Never eaten jellyfish or can recall it offered anywhere I've been.

As an adult I've basically totally eschewed white bread in any form. Give me wheat/grain. Toast, sandwhiches, burger buns, whatever. Does not apply to tortillas.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

I know it's not much better than regular old white bread I'm crazy about potato bread. It is a good way to get a little extra potassium tho

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
White bread is good for occasional nostalgia comfort food sandwiches like peebers and fluffernutters that basically are just sugary goo in rectangle form

I also like it for tuna sandwiches

but I remember the first time I had a grilled cheese on a really good dark wheat 37 grain bread and holy poo poo what an improvement

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

I love potato bread. There's a brand called Martin's and it's the best plain old sliced loaf grocery store bread.

The thought of eating jellyfish triggers me because I have been stung sooo many times in my life.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
nothing wrong with white bread it's the only bread for a tomato mayonnaise sandwich :colbert:

one of my favorite sandwiches is a a quasi grilled cheese with lots of lettuce tomato and mayo. it's so good. a chain fast food place where I'm from makes it the default "toasted cheese" on the menu

Prof. Crocodile
Jun 27, 2020

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

I love potato bread. There's a brand called Martin's and it's the best plain old sliced loaf grocery store bread.

The thought of eating jellyfish triggers me because I have been stung sooo many times in my life.

What did I tell you about jellyfish waifus?

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

No satisfaction in taking revenge?

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
also i took today as vacation and slept all the way through to lunch time. still out of groceries. going to spend the next 2 hours staring at delivery menus unable to decide ftw

Ventral EggSac
Dec 3, 2019

Aardvark! posted:

also i took today as vacation and slept all the way through to lunch time. still out of groceries. going to spend the next 2 hours staring at delivery menus unable to decide ftw

Make this poo poo, super easy and good*:

https://www.food.com/recipe/fry-jacks-belize-499428

*not part of a balanced meal, supplement with uh, vegtabels?

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

Aardvark! posted:

Yessss get FAT its FRIDAY

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Ventral EggSac posted:

Make this poo poo, super easy and good*:

https://www.food.com/recipe/fry-jacks-belize-499428

*not part of a balanced meal, supplement with uh, vegtabels?

if i turn my stove on all the pizza boxes on top of it will catch on fire unfortunately

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

I might duck out of work a little early to go watch Army of the Dead. Depends on how crowded the theater is when I check for tix online

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Can I just stop everyone and ask about canned salmon? That's some "whole chicken in a can" level of weird to me. I'm in a huge salmon exporting country, and I've never thought of that as something you'd can. Maybe small amounts with spices as a bread spread, but by and large the only canned fish I've seen fall into two categories: Lots of small fish, or processed cheap fish (pollock ground into fish balls and such).

I mean, I'm sure it works fine, and I'm not against the idea or anything.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
i always imagined it to be bad so even as someone who eats other tinned seafood, and loves salmon, I've never been tempted to eat the canned variety

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Computer viking posted:

Can I just stop everyone and ask about canned salmon? That's some "whole chicken in a can" level of weird to me. I'm in a huge salmon exporting country, and I've never thought of that as something you'd can. Maybe small amounts with spices as a bread spread, but by and large the only canned fish I've seen fall into two categories: Lots of small fish, or processed cheap fish (pollock ground into fish balls and such).

I mean, I'm sure it works fine, and I'm not against the idea or anything.

You ever seen canned tuna, my man?

That said the only thing I've ever used canned salmon for is the single recipe I posted above so I wouldn't exactly call it 'versatile'. Like I'm sure you could do other things with it. I mean, you could easily do salmon patties with it, that's basically all the 'loaf' recipe is just not divided up into patty form. *shrug*

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Canned fish

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

Situation: You are at work and lunch is catered. At noon, all extra food is put in the break room for anyone to take. There is no actual rule about how many extras you can take. There are (personal sized) pizzas today. You have already gotten 1 pizza from the normal standing in line process.
How many extras do you take later on from the break room.
a) 1
b) 2
c) 3???
d) Cursed by a gypsy to always eat 4 pizzas
e) I am the Son of God and all pizzas are rightfully mine, as are all things that have and will exist

DeadFatDuckFat fucked around with this message at 20:50 on May 14, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ventral EggSac
Dec 3, 2019

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Situation: You are at work and lunch is catered. At noon, all extra food is put in the break room for anyone to take. There is no actual rule about how many extras you can take. There are (personal sized) pizzas today. You have already gotten 1 pizza from the normal standing in line process.
How many extras do you take later on from the break room.
a) 1
b) 2
c) 3???
d) Cursed by a gypsy to always eat 4 pizzas
e) I am the Son of God and all pizzas are rightfully mine, as are all things that have and will exist

How many people can see you