Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: bagmonkey)

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
2 more followup P.S. emails and then a call from my boss to please not respond

sorry boss, i grew up on the internet, you flame my rear end you best not miss bitch!!!!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Flame Wars: Corporate

Next Thursday on FOX.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Wow I can’t believe a CIO is a whiny little baby.

Also LMAO at your CIO directly emailing an individual contributor to complain that he actually has to do some work. Lol gently caress that guy

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

DarkSoulsTantrum posted:

Wow I can’t believe a CIO is a whiny little baby.

Also LMAO at your CIO directly emailing an individual contributor to complain that he actually has to do some work. Lol gently caress that guy

the best part is i was one of two employees (out of hundreds in IT) to be given a no-strings-attached 2 year parachute contract when we got bought last year, solely to get me to not bail. they have to have Actual Cause to get rid of me or i get an entire year of pay. i don't even know if this guy knows that, he wasn't in that chain of command at the time

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

C levels are all clueless bitches

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

C levels are all clueless bitches

Truth. Just absolutely useless people that get paid a ton of money to not know anything at all

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

DarkSoulsTantrum posted:

Truth. Just absolutely useless people that get paid a ton of money to not know anything at all

I guess if your company is a startup or its gonna acquire/merge with another then I guess their experience and industry connections can potentially have value, but outside of that then they mostly do jack and poo poo

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
this guy LOVES getting on calls and asking specific technical questions and commanding various things too, because He Started As A DBA.

it's always about "At my previous company this worked, why doesn't it work here? Are you guys not using the technology properly?" after saddling us with systems specially built for companies with 1000x as much data per table as we have in our entire system combined

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Well, in Whoville they say - that his tiny hands grew three sizes that day.

Aardvark! posted:

the best part is i was one of two employees (out of hundreds in IT) to be given a no-strings-attached 2 year parachute contract when we got bought last year, solely to get me to not bail. they have to have Actual Cause to get rid of me or i get an entire year of pay. i don't even know if this guy knows that, he wasn't in that chain of command at the time

I suppose flaming the poo poo out of him would be construed as "cause"? If not, show him you're from the streets (of the internet).

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

MakaVillian posted:

I suppose flaming the poo poo out of him would be construed as "cause"? If not, show him you're from the streets (of the internet).

since i can't actually flame him, i went with

"I apologize for accurately communicating with one of my team's most important business partners. If it has become part of my job requirements to lie to my fellow employees, please let me know."

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

Aardvark! posted:

"I apologize for accurately communicating with one of my team's most important business partners. If it has become part of my job requirements to lie to my fellow employees, please let me know."

:nyd:

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Well, in Whoville they say - that his tiny hands grew three sizes that day.

Aardvark! posted:

:golfclap:

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Aardvark! posted:

Do you use a wheelbarrow or do you just drag your balls behind you on a little cart?

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Aardvark gonna have more time to mod soon

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

Aardvark gonna have more time to mod soon

Yea

That's how you get fired and a bad reference. Glad you have some contract

Grumblepuff
Dec 29, 2018

You think you taught me a lesson, babe
Betcha think you "got through to me"
No one gets through here anymore
Right
Or, the CIO could lean back in their chair, look up at the ceiling, then look out their window to the skyline, chuckle, mutter under their breath, "This kid's got moxy!", roll up their sleeves, and pour out a finger of scotch, and search Bing for "sick burns to send to insubordinates" and "that goaty picture."

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
Sales is considered like, a thousand times more important than IT to our company (which, hey, it's a manufacturing company).

the business partner I told has nearly as much power as the CIO at this point, he's like Sales' wunderkind. and the guy he told is the C suite equivalent of Sales. and the issue i was describing would have made Sales data worse for no reason (the real reason being CIO optics).

so i'm not that worried here - if he tried to fire me over this it would almost certainly end his career here

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Aardvark! posted:

I’m so loving hard rn

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Aardvark! posted:

this guy LOVES getting on calls and asking specific technical questions and commanding various things too, because He Started As A DBA.

it's always about "At my previous company this worked, why doesn't it work here? Are you guys not using the technology properly?" after saddling us with systems specially built for companies with 1000x as much data per table as we have in our entire system combined

Just say, “it worked because you were a user, the content of the page did nothing but fill the page, and it failed to work in a real world environment because it initiated fraudulent contradictions with the owner of the page. Access does not equal ownership or authorship.”

It’s the equivalent of throwing a bag of tools at the horizon and expecting a house to be built.

ClamdestineBoyster fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Jun 3, 2021

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

I had a job interview on Tuesday and utterly ballsed it, entirely my own fault. I'll never get used to Zoom/Teams interviews, I work in environmental services so normally an interview will involve a species ID test, or a practical thing. These days its all Powerpoints.

I am not good at technol

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

Accidentally logged off before finishing my post there

Derpies
Mar 11, 2014

by sebmojo

DarkSoulsTantrum posted:

I’m so loving hard rn

Yikes good luck towing that log around

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

I started cooking a pot roast at 7:30 this morning and now it's in that final couple hours where it smells so good but I still can't eat it

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Lol I've been on "are you not using it properly" calls before.

The gently caress you want for an answer? "No we're not"?
If you get that, are you gonna fly your happy rear end over here and deign to show us exactly HOW we should, Captain Technology who forgets his password every other week?

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Ratjaculation posted:

I had a job interview on Tuesday and utterly ballsed it, entirely my own fault. I'll never get used to Zoom/Teams interviews, I work in environmental services so normally an interview will involve a species ID test, or a practical thing. These days its all Powerpoints.

I am not good at technol

species ID? are you talking leaves, flowers, insects or what? also what kind of practical stuff? that legit sounds fascinating to me as an interview

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
been working on my photoshop skills on my phone. check out this bad boy: wendys chili nuggets

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
please ignore the disembodied spoon handle

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

I would eat a chili nugget

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Big Beef City posted:

Lol I've been on "are you not using it properly" calls before.

The gently caress you want for an answer? "No we're not"?
If you get that, are you gonna fly your happy rear end over here and deign to show us exactly HOW we should, Captain Technology who forgets his password every other week?

No, I don’t want to use my dremmel for everything, or at all necessarily, or be forced to do every job with a dremmel, even though it is my dremmel. :shrug:

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

ClamdestineBoyster posted:

No, I don’t want to use my dremmel for everything, or at all necessarily, or be forced to do every job with a dremmel. :shrug:

lol

guy in a suit on the phone in a conference call with a bunch of construction workers, as they try to explain to him that it's physically impossible to put in the windows he ordered without consulting them. screaming at them about Not Doing It Right

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
I just made a eggs Benedict and, friends, my household is fat and happy.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

I decided to make deviled eggs in addition to the pot roast for no particular reason. I can't stop cooking since I've started learning it's kind of ridiculous.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Others may disagree, perhaps vehemently, but I firmly believe poached is the best way to have an egg

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Aardvark! posted:

lol

guy in a suit on the phone in a conference call with a bunch of construction workers, as they try to explain to him that it's physically impossible to put in the windows he ordered without consulting them. screaming at them about Not Doing It Right

Sucks that a company is so bad and incompetent at installing windows that they have to call a 1-900 number on a per window basis but here we are! :shrug:

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

Aardvark! posted:

species ID? are you talking leaves, flowers, insects or what? also what kind of practical stuff? that legit sounds fascinating to me as an interview

Yeah, flora and fauna.

So usually it's either a couple of pictures of species, or they'll have some leaves/flowers laid out to ID.

Practical stuff has been things like replacing a chainsaw chain, roleplaying an engagement event or, my personal favourite, attaching a tractor trailer and PTO

Not stuff you can do over zoom, unfortunately :(

There'll be a relatively normal interview along side these assessments too

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Ratjaculation posted:

Yeah, flora and fauna.

So usually it's either a couple of pictures of species, or they'll have some leaves/flowers laid out to ID.

Practical stuff has been things like replacing a chainsaw chain, roleplaying an engagement event or, my personal favourite, attaching a tractor trailer and PTO

Not stuff you can do over zoom, unfortunately :(

There'll be a relatively normal interview along side these assessments too

sounds easy. anybody can tell the difference between animals. elephant, giraffe, cow, boom. i'm a scientist now

Derpies
Mar 11, 2014

by sebmojo
Towing my belonging along at the airport.

Tow life!

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

My boiled eggs didn't peel very well so my deviled eggs, while tasty, look awful. I think I heard one of them whispering "kill...meeee" when I was sprinkling the paprika :(

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

My boiled eggs didn't peel very well so my deviled eggs, while tasty, look awful. I think I heard one of them whispering "kill...meeee" when I was sprinkling the paprika :(

only one thing you can do. eat all of them yourself and make a whole nother batch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prof. Crocodile
Jun 27, 2020

Godspeed derpies and may the drink cart always open a fresh can of ginger ale for you