Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: bagmonkey)

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

I'm here to help. Have a post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

I'm realizing I have a morning routine now for the first time since I moved...

After I see my bf off to work and get dressed and stuff I check e/n and faff about on the internet for an hour until my dog demands a walk. He gets it and then I have breakfast at my lightbox and only then am I awake enough for chores and homework.

I haven't had a routine like this in years and it feels really nice?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

My thread now I guess! Time for some more idle thoughts:

- just finished my last test for a college course (personal finance, and my god what a poo poo show) and I'm DONE I'm FREE I never have to deal with this stupid class ever again! Did you know that the professor made me mail my complete personal finances to his home? Yeah! I did! And it was graded! I tried to complain to the college but they defended him and I learned that their internal review board website had lorem ipsum which was FUN. yes.

- relaxing by buying video games now

- yes I know I learned all about personal finance and cope by stress-spending well my budget will improve when I'm no longer stressed by this stupid class!!!!

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

I think the whole reason this thread isn't doing great on the 1000 pages front is because it doesn't have anything to argue about

Therefore to that end I ask: what is the wrongest way you can make a pizza? I've been thinking about a vertical pizza that has to be propped up to cook and it has a tiny layer of cheese and tomato sauce on the top edge.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

My dog keeps trying to sneak in squeaky tennis balls so he can squeak them super loudly while my bf is trying to work from home and dog..........

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

I made bread with my new bread machine yesterday and I love this? I love the act of having fresh food in the home that I made myself and I cannot wait to make more bread. Bread.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Sitting Here posted:

this is a harrowing tale. count your blessings everyone and check your milk. Praying for you.

I use soymilk and it's my favorite dairy substitute as it tastes nice and doesn't spoil very fast. I usually have a breakfast of cereal with milk, and sometimes I make pancakes and that calls for milk. Soymilk is a good substitute as you can bake with it. Good stuff.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Due to super stress from my online college being the worst, I have gone mad and am looking for lots of murder mystery media things and I was reminded that Columbo exists and that makes me happy. I love that show. It's not a mystery so much as a character drama but it's so great.

morestuff posted:

It's mostly about watching rich dipshits get owned by the coolest man alive

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Cross-posting my review from the Book Barn into here as well, in case anyone wants to read a cool book:

I finished David Drake's The Dragon Lord, his first novel - and I loved it! Here's my review.

A good book! A fascinating fusion of sword-and-sorcery story beats and a historical military story. The setting is after/during the Fall of Rome, when Britain is mostly free of Roman influence and the Saxons are trying to establish domination. This is when the original legend of King Arthur sprung up, and he is a central figure in this story, the titular Dragon Lord.

In this novel, King Arthur is a club-footed man with a terror of being in battle without his horse, and a tactical and strategic genius who trains his armies and integrates the fighting styles of men from all over Europe and beyond to create a terrifying force that will conquer Britain - and he has eyes on the entire world. Lancelot is a Roman subordinate to him, and there are other familiar names - but none of them are the classic medieval chivalric mold, because this isn't that era.

Except, of course, for Merlin. Enter the fantasy element: Arthur wants a dragon, and Merlin can and will provide.

Enter our protagonists, our heroes: Mael and Starkad. They're not in the legends, and are a fascinating pair of viewpoint characters. One's an Irishman, the other a Dane, and both are mercenaries who take up work in Arthur's army because the pay is good. They're fantastic at giving us an honest look at how King Arthur works, as well as great characters in their own right. Mael might be a bit of a stereotype - a clever, good man who can mete out violence and survive it - but he works, and has some nuance to him.

The plot covers a series of adventures: Mael is sent to Ireland to retrieve a skull for Merlin, so that the dragon can be summoned. Mael and Starkad are sent to assassinate a Saxon warchief for his mythical weapons. Mael and Starkad join Arthur's army for a grand battle with the Saxons. -- And a final one, that shall remain a spoiler.

There is a woman, and a believable romance because it's entirely practical. There is magic, but it never drowns out the gritty realism of the setting - even when it goes entirely fantastical. There is violence, and worse - but the author doesn't linger.

I'll be upfront with this warning: while it's not graphic, there are mentions of sexual violence in this novel. Soldiers rape and pillage, and the author doesn't whitewash it. Again, though - he doesn't linger.

I genuinely loved this novel, and got attached by the end, and I'll be sad that I won't get to see Mael and Starkad again. I also love the mythical echoes surrounding King Arthur and his men. It's a worthy look at where his legend might have come from.

Highly recommended if you're interested in either sword-n'-sorcery, military fantasy (the battle is GREAT) and/or this era of British history.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Going to have a bath with a bath bomb today, can't wait!

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You know what I'm doing right now? I'm watching Dragon Ball Z. I'm at the bit where Goku is dead and in the afterlife training by trying to hit a bug with a hammer. It's pretty good!

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Watching anime and cross-stitching! Here's my progress:

Be gentle, it's my first time with this hobby

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Today I am learning about this sad excuse for a gun:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pancor_Jackhammer

Only 3 were ever made, and two were destroyed in testing

Also seriously who needs an automatic shotgun

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Tip posted:

I think the auto shotgun in Deus Ex had a drum.

The original Deus Ex is probably my favorite game of all time but I don't like any of the sequels that I've tried. I wish they could recapture that magic, even just a remaster would be awesome.

Have you played Prey? That's one of the most Deus Ex games I've ever played.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

This Prey: https://store.steampowered.com/app/480490/Prey/

Not the one from 2007 or so, this one is an immersive sim type thing and it owns

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Merry Christmas Eve thread, may you be blessed with many posts

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Merry Christmas thread!

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

gently caress's sake, we have a punctured tire on the highway. There go the xmas plans :(

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

https://twitter.com/WarrenIsDead/status/1342496495661174785?s=19

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

So what did y'all get for Christmas?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

I'm trying out the first jrpg ever made, Dragon Quest, and... enjoying it? I'm using the GBC version and it's simplistic but in a really nice way. Gonna save this princess! Gonna grind up levels!

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

How the heck do people pick out new patterns for cross-stitch??

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Watching a pair of morons try to land jets upside down and it's going poorly

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

I'm going to contribute to this project. Here's some photos of some cool enamel pins I got in the mail the other day!

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Prof. Crocodile posted:

Holy crap those are really cool. Were these goon-made, by chance?

I sadly don't think so!

The Flock pin is from this Flock kickstarter

And the Sakura Dragon is from Katy L's patreon - and they post leftovers here!

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

AARD VARKMAN posted:

Hi Strix. hope you keep posting itt :frogbon:

Aw, thanks!

Right now I am awake early because my partner called my name in his sleep. I love him, but I was sleeping!!

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Zil posted:

I am not much for pins (I poke myself too much with them) but this one is amazing. Such detail at such a small size. That is an awesome dragon.

How are you poking yourself? Wearing them?

The enamel pins I collect are for display purposes - I put them on hexagon boards and hang them in my office. I don't care to wear them because I worry I'll lose them, and some are literally irreplaceable!

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

For example! And because I want to show off! Here are some more enamel pins that are all 1) too large to wear and 2) impossible to purchase now due to being limited edition or p4p projects or similar.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

ilovebeersooomuch posted:

So I didn't see any attached images but clearly there is bbcode in the quote so I open one of the links in a seperate tab directly in my browser and it's freaking blocked by my work :mad:

Ahh! I'm sorry! Here, I'll try attaching the photos instead. Testing, testing... e: Nope, too large.

Is imgur blocked at your work?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Okay I need to ping astral. There's no way to remove an attached file from a post without refreshing the page, so instead I spent a while finding a photo of my dog small enough that it would let me attach it instead. To the technical forum, to complain about SA!

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Today I'm kinda sleepy so I'm watching random youtube videos on horror movies and playing solitaire

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Revins posted:

ryan hollinger? his latest one on paranormal activity was a good watch

Yeah! Finished that, watching this now (the channel is new to me):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4eVHIGW1ro

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Revins posted:

looks interesting! I'm currently addicted to dueling people in elden ring but I'll probably watch it tonight

warning for spoilers for VVitch and Midsommar!

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

The best movie I watched last year for the horror bingo was Liquid Sky, but also: goddamn that was a lot of good horror movies. Easily my favorite genre.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

I am out of jam, yet I crave a pbj. This sucks, man

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Just throw some banana in there?

Also out of non-frozen bananas

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

I decided to go with a burrito instead - kinda boring, just beans, hot sauce and a bit of parm cheese sprinkled in, but it hit the spot.

I also picked out a new phone wallpaper!

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Good morning

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

TIL that by upgrading Death Stranding to the Director's Cut, I have removed Monster (TM) energy drinks from the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

I look away from this thread and there are 50+ new posts, whoa. How do y'all keep up with it?