Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

as the owners of it (to the extent an open source project can be owned anyway), and spending a lot of effort making their own chromium browser on all platforms, yeah, i think it is fair to assume there is some big strategy bound up in electron.

That anything going on is part of a larger strategy is an awful big assumption.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

tk posted:

That anything going on is part of a larger strategy is an awful big assumption.

controlling the default platform for applications might not be as cool as it used to be, but it might still be lucrative.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I thank gently caress daily that i’ve never once used teams and in fact only have a vague idea that it’s about more than one person

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
i actually kind of like teams :shobon:

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

President Beep posted:

i actually kind of like teams :shobon:

why would you say this

what do they pay you

do you have no shame

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

teams is real bad and also the best chat/voice/video/fileshare microsoft has ever made/owned.

pram
Jun 10, 2001

controlling the default platform for applications might not be as cool as it used to be, but it might still be lucrative.

hmm good point i heard docker is doing extremely well with their many billions of dollars

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

teams is real bad and also the best chat/voice/video/fileshare microsoft has ever made/owned.

yeah going to teams from skype for business or whatever it was called was a genuine upgrade

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

pram posted:

hmm good point i heard docker is doing extremely well with their many billions of dollars

lol

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

infernal machines posted:

it's just funny because if you do have the 64bit version and you just leave teams running and only lock your pc rather than logging out, after about two weeks it will have used all your ram to the point that they system stops responding and has to be physically rebooted.

i just closed teams, thanks for the tip

what a fuckin world lmao

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

pram posted:

lmao

i miss eudora as an email client.

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug
just use thunderbird, it makes google mail actually usable in that you never have to interact with anything in a web browser

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

The Management posted:

I had an automatic gag reflex for all Microsoft stuff due to my experience with them back when they were the big evil. now that they are a boring enterprise software company I’ve tried to get over my disdain for them.

then work gave me a windows laptop with the Microsoft suite of apps and goddamn, it is a burning pile of poo poo.

Microsoft is making a slow, uncomfortable takeover of the React and Javascript scene. I was just on a project using typescript, and when searching online for topics about it I found discussion that was very unfamiliar. People talking about IDE settings and referencing the C:/ drive.

This European agency also chose to use AppCenter from Microsoft, which they published exactly one version on before it broke and tasked me with fixing. Well, configuration was very limited. And documentation and user reports all said this kind of app shouldn’t work on AppCenter. I ended up using another CI and building it with XCode and pushing to Apples TestFlight. Still, the app didn’t work right, but this was because of our app. Along the way I had to fix some stuff. The manager then came and undid everything and somehow got it working on AppCenter. I was worried AppCenter was detecting and fixing issues, but also leaving us ignorant of our own problems. Sure enough, the build problems seen building through my CI began happening in development. The manager kept saying, if it builds on AppCenter, that’s all that matters. So a branch that had much-needed improvements had to be abandoned because of this bug. We had to follow this golden path: one lined with traps for devs and depended entirely on MS AppCenter.

I sent my final invoice today but they’re still struggling to send my first.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Lysidas posted:

just use thunderbird, it makes google mail actually usable in that you never have to interact with anything in a web browser

i log into web mail clients as frequently as i reveal the wu-tang secret.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Lysidas posted:

yo, i'm a nerd,
word,
i use thunderbird

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

I’m preparing my anus for the switch from business objects to power BI i hope that I enjoy it but I am having my doubts

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

bo is also not much of a user utopia either though

but it has been my utopia for donkeys

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

how do you code???

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Displeased Moo Cow posted:

how do you code???

i think you do it in notepad.

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

I made my best webpages on that notepad :allears:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i code with a fountain pen and glittery ink

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006
welcome back to whinging about software: never learn / just complain

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

echinopsis posted:

i code with a fountain pen and glittery ink

me in coding class at the prestigious School of Computers:ins:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
lol

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

President Beep posted:

m’alloc

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

President Beep posted:

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

pram
Jun 10, 2001

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

conf.exe called.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
url my main man how u been

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

echinopsis posted:

url my main man how u been

Hey Echi, thanks for asking, I'm doing well all things considered. And how is your fine self?
I'll hop on IRC and we can catch up there :)

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

look at all these people who aren’t forced to use amazon chime and so thinks teams is as bad as video calling software gets

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

amazon chome

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i wish i understood the “Chome” meme

pram
Jun 10, 2001
its just mispelled 'chrome' and shagger said it. engage your laughing suspenders

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

pram posted:

its just mispelled 'chrome' and shagger said it. engage your laughing suspenders

Oh. :geno: