Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Previous thread is here.

December Events & Dates

December 5, 2020 - UFC on ESPN: Hermansson vs. Vettori
December 12, 2020 - UFC 256
December 19, 2020 - UFC Fight Night: Edwards vs. Chimaev

Current Champions
Men's Heavyweight Champion - Stipe Miocic(20-3)
Men's Light Heavyweight Champion - Jan Blachowicz (27-8)
Men’s Middleweight Champion - Israel Adesanya (20-0)
Men's Welterweight Champion - Kamaru Usman (17-1)
Men's Lightweight Champion - Vacant
Men's Featherweight Champion - Alexander Volkanovski (22-1)
Men’s Bantamweight Champion - Petr Yan (15-1)
Men's Flyweight Champion - Deiveson Figueiredo (20-1)
Women's Featherweight Champion - Amanda Nunes (20-4)
Women's Bantamweight Champion - Amanda Nunes (20-4)
Women’s Flyweight Champion - Valentina Shevchenko (20-3)
Women's Strawweight Champion - Zhang Weili (21-1)

:siren:2020 Best & Worst of MMA Nominations:siren:

Don’t forget to nominate things from 2020 for the yearly Best & Worst of MMA in the nominations thread, voting will be in January I guess?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3908602

Other Things to Check Out

MMA is not solely restricted to UFC but it is pretty much guaranteed that the UFC will more often than not put on fun cards. There’s a bunch of B, C, and Z tier MMA organizations which you can chat about over at the B-League MMA: Grand Prixs and Untested Pee thread.

We have the Let's Watch: Random Old MMA Events! Thread thread which has been great to read about/relive events through other people’s eyes and worth getting in on yourself if you like writing.

We also are always looking for nominations for the 2020 Best & Worst of MMA awards.

Finally, shout out to DumbWhiteGuy for providing details for the MMA IRC channel.

irc.synirc.net #mma

Join your fellow MMA fans in discussing all things MMA in a place probably secure against nuclear armageddon - IRC has been around for so long I'm not convinced anything could kill it.

There is also the MMA Goons Discord if you no longer use IRC because you are living in the 21st century.

:siren: Please Note: this is not an official Fight Island discord, and is just some of us hanging around to chat and such. :siren:

Link - https://discord.gg/SkR8ZeC

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Time for the :effort: post

We’re doing guest monthly recaps as I want to get more of you weighing in. If you end up with a PM/shoutout from me then you’ve been tapped to give the recap if you so choose. No worries if you don’t want to do it, this is just to spice things up a bit.

November Recap by Mekchu (I forgot to get a guest)

November was a chaotic month in various ways. Namely a good number of decent fights fell through due to COVID tests coming back positive which was just, yeah it was dumb.

First we had UFC on ESPN: Santos vs. Teixeira. I genuinely thought this would be the fight that would guarantee Thiago Santos his title shot and rematch with Jan Blachowicz and yeah that did not work out. Glover was able to use his age and experience to basically draw Santos to the ground and work a solid grappling game that resulted in Texeira getting the W via a choke in the third round. That’s two back to back losses for Santos but his status as the last man to beat current champion Jan Blachowicz is at least something that can help him get some momentum later on. Andrei Arlovski took home the decision win against Tanner Boseman in a fight I honestly can’t remember off the top of my head. I think it was decent but nothing crazy or special? The rest of the card I sorta zone out on. I do think it is worth pointing out that Claudia Gadelha lost to Yan Xiaonan which is a decent step up for Yan, and a decent step down for Claudia.

Next was UFC Fight Night: Felder vs. dos Anjos. This was originally meant to be RDA vs Islam Makachaev but Makachaev tested positive for COVID and so they had to find a replacement because this card basically had no decent backup fight to fill in the main event slot. A decent number of folks on the card also missed weight which helps illustrate how dumb this card was to keep going on with. Kay Hansen lost her sophomore fight in the UFC against Cory McKenna. Then, like with the Santos/Teixeira card, the rest of the fights weren’t really memorable. Paul Felder’s late replacement in the main event saw some decent exchanges but there was a visible difference in skills between the two and it was an easy RDA victory that people will be praising Felder for for years to come since he took the fight on 5 days notice or so.

Then at UFC 255: Figueiredo vs. Perez we had some actually decent matches as a whole card was somewhat fleshed out. This was the card I actually cared about this month as well. On the prelims highlight sensation Joaqim Buckley scored another impressive KO to add to his promo packages. Brandon Moreno, the #1 ranked Flyweight, fought on the prelims against Brandon Royval and scored a TKO win via a dislocated shoulder which firmly put him as the proper next challenger for the Flyweight championship. On the main card, Paul Craig and Mauricio Rua fought for a 2nd time and Craig scored an early TKO win against the aging Shogun and really, we still are confused why Rua is continuing to fight this late into his career. Mike Perry lost to Tim Means and that’s all fine and good. In the co-main event Valentina Shevchenko scored yet another decision victory over an overmatched opponent and secured her Flyweight title. I am seriously stretching to find a decent competitor for her title because Women’s Flyweight is so thin. In the main event we had another replacement fight as Cody Garbrandt tested positive for COVID and had to be replaced by Alex Perez and not Brandon Moreno which was confusing. In the fight Flyweight Champion Deiveson Figuieredo quickly submitted his replacement opponent and that cleanly set up the next title fight for him against Brandon Moreno, which has been scheduled for UFC 256. Which is this month. Crazy I know.

The final card of the month saw the main event fall through as Curtis Blaydes tested positive for COVID as well and his match with Derrick Lewis was called off. This meant that Anthonty Smith was yet again in a main event fight with UFC on ESPN: Smith vs. Clark. I’ll be honest I missed this card as I could not find any reason to watch it over playing Rugby20 and I won my league championship with Munster so I’ll just give the quick and dirty results. Anthony Smith finally earned a W after some abysmal outings by getting a triangle choke win over Devin Clark.
Miguel Baeza got an arm-triangle choke over Takashi Sato. Parker Porter also took a decision win over Josh Parisian. Bill Algeo defeated Spike Carlyle via decision. Norma Dumont Viana took a decision win over Ashlee Evans-Smith. Jonathan Pearce defeated Kai Kamaka III via TKO

UFC events in December

December will be a good month of fights judging by the cards value on paper. More so than November so let’s take a gander. On December 5th we will see UFC on ESPN: Hermansson vs. Vettori. The main event is Middleweight contenders Jack Hermansson, who last defeated Kelvin Gastelum via impressive leg lock, and Marvin Vettori. I can’t really recall if I liked Vettori or not, but I get the feeling that if Hermansson wins he’ll be the next Middleweight fight for Israel Adesanya. Also Ovince Saint Preux is facing Jamahal Hill at Light Heavyweight, and Montana De La Rosa is taking on Taila Santos.

A week later on December 12th the UFC will host the lone PPV for the month with UFC 256. Deiveson Figueiredo and Brandon Moreno are making quick turnarounds to fight for the Flyweight Championship. Also on the card Charles Oliveira and Tony Ferguson are facing off as a Lightweight contenders fight. Renato Moicano is also fighting Rafael Fiziev with former UFC HW Champion Junio dos Santos opening the show (yikes) against Ciryl Gane.

Finally the last event for 2020 will be on December 19th with UFC Fight Night: Edwards vs. Chimaev. The main event is Welterweight title challengers Leon Edwards and Khamzat Chimaev. I think Edwards has the edge, but Chimaev definitely has the momentum and hype behind him to propel a Chimaev victory into a title shot. Stephen Thompson and Geoff Neal are also facing off on the card as well as Marcin Tybura and Greg Hardy. Hopefully Tybura can end it with a great KO of Hardy. Marlon Moraes is going to face off against Rob Font, with Misha Crkunov and Ryan Spann somehow, at least according to Wikipedia, taking a higher slot on the card than Jose Aldo’s fight against Marlon Vera. Yeah I don’t get that one either.

Current Champions

Men's Heavyweight Champion - Stipe Miocic(20-3)
A veteran for 9 years in the UFC, Stipe has amassed quite an impressive resume. After a series of winning streaks halted by a lone loss, Miocic eventually worked his way up to a title fight with then champion Fabricio Werdum and shocked the world with his KO win becoming the new UFC Heavyweight Champion. Miocic would then go on and set the record for the most UFC Heavyweight title defenses at 3 because the UFC Heavyweight Championship must have a curse or something. This would then lead to a Champion vs Champion bout between then UFC Light Heavyweight champion Daniel Cormier which Miocic would lose. He then sat out for a year lobbying for a rematch which he eventually got 13 months after losing the title. While Stipe lost his first match with Cormier via KO, he avenged that loss with a KO of his own and reclaimed his Heavyweight gold. Another year would pass and Cormier and Miocic would face off for the third and final time, which would also presumably serve as Cormier’s retirement fight where Miocic’s clinch control and awareness of Cormier’s game plan would lead him to another title defense beginning a new bid to set the record for most title defense wins. Miocic’s next opponent is likely one he has already faced and defeated in Frances Ngannou though that still is not official.

Men's Light Heavyweight Champion - Jan Blachowicz (27-8)
Poland’s Jan Blachowicz pre-UFC career was mainly a string of beating up European MMA fighters until being called up to the UFC. Things didn't go well for Blachowicz losing 4 of his first 6 fights in the promotion. Eventually though he found his groove and would string together wins and even avenging a few of his early losses in the UFC in rematches. It was when he fought and lost to Thiago Santos that things seemed to have changed. Blachowicz admitted the loss made him better and more focused on his fight game. He was relatively not a top end contender when the UFC matched him against the former UFC Middleweight Champion Luke Rockhold. The viciousness of Rockhold’s KO loss that night sent the clear message that Jan was not to be overlooked and thanks to a pair more wins that immediately followed, he was clearly a top challenger for the UFC Light Heavyweight championship. When Jon Jones vacated the belt the UFC put Dominick Reyes and Jan against one another to determine the new champion. Many assumed Reyes, who arguably won against Jones in his last outing, would simply claim the vacant belt. Much like the Rockhold fight, Jan’s power and focus made it abundantly clear that he was not to be anyone’s stepping stone. Now the UFC Light Heavyweight champion, Jan’s first title challenger is unclear but there has been talk that Jones’ planned move to Heavyweight may be postponed so the two can finally meet inside the cage.

Men’s Middleweight Champion - Israel Adesanya (20-0)
A native of Nigeria, New Zealand’s Adesanya started his career not with MMA but with kickboxing and amassed a significant record of bouts throughout Asia and Australasia. Adesanya even made an appearance in Glory Kickboxing before moving to MMA full time. Debuting as an undefeated fighter, Adesanya simply kept collecting “scalps” (as he puts it) until he was facing off against the Middleweight Division’s best. With wins over Derek Brunson and Anderson Silva within his first year in the UFC, the brass decided he and Kelvin Gastelum would face off for the Interim Middleweight Championship. This was arguably the best fight of 2019, if not the best Round of the Year. With the Interim Belt to his name, he was set to face fellow Kiwi, but Australian based, Robert Whittaker in a showdown. Fittingly in the same arena that Adesanya was in the nosebleeds to see Holm KO Rousey, Adesanya KO’d Whittaker and took the Undisputed Middleweight Championship home. In his first defense Adesanya did not waste time aiming to clear out the division and fought against Yoel Romero. While this fight arguably was lackluster, it was clear that Romero’s prowess for chaos was at least stifled by Adesanya’s awareness and ability to not get caught. Next Adesanya defended his title against a fellow undefeated Middleweight in the form of Paulo Costa. Many believed this would be at least a greater test for Adesanya than before and yet Adesanya put on a picture perfect performance with a 2nd round TKO win. Adesanya then wasted no time promising a title fight with Jared Cannonier should the American get past former champion Robert Whittaker, however Whittaker won and so a rematch with Whittaker could happen though a fight at Light Heavyweight has been hinted at for Adesanya.

Men's Welterweight Champion - Kamaru Usman (17-1)
Debuting in 2015 with The Ultimate Fighter: Blackzilians vs American Top Team, Kamaru Usman quickly showed his belief in his own self and mental toughness was a trait you could easily identify about him. Following the TUF finale, which Usman won, he would then go on to amass more and more wins against the Welterweight division’s top fighters. However Usman’s performances weren’t as eye-catching as others in the division, and yet he was there easily dispatching his opponents. Following wins over Demian Maia and Rafael Dos Anjos, Usman served as a replacement for Colby Covington against Tyron Woodley for Woodley’s Welterweight Championship. This would be Usman’s standout performance of his career, easily controlling and just beating up Woodley for all 5 rounds to earn a lopsided decision. Next Usman was put up against Colby Covington who had already begun a campaign to challenge for the belt. Usman again put on a fantastic performance and shut Covington up by breaking his jaw. He was then expected to face fellow teammate Gilbert Burns but Burns contracted COVID19 and a last minute replacement of Jorge Masvidal was chosen. Again, Usman’s hard work and ability to grind his opponents down served him yet another victory. Usman’s next opponent is still believed to be Burns.

Men's Lightweight Champion - Vacant
The shadow of Conor McGregor held sway over the UFC Featherweight and Lightweight divisions for nearly two years. This was the setting for Khabib’s rise to the top and eventual championship. Nurmagomedov debuted in 2012 and simply went on a tear beating ever increasing and different styled opponents with his patented wrestling and clinch control. It wasn’t until UFC 223 that Khabib ever came close to a title, and with UFC 223’s insanity let’s just say Khabib got a lot of exposure and sympathy a lot quicker. Khabib went on to fight several more times going up to a 29-0 record. However with the recent death of his father, his win of Gaethje being his first fight camp without his dad, he decided to hang up the gloves and return home. What most people are probably going to expect is a Dustin Poirier & Conor McGregor rematch being for the vacant title because Conor never actually lost in his mind and thus is still the actual champ.

Men's Featherweight Champion - Alexander Volkanovski (22-1)
A former rugby player who pushed 200 lbs, Alexander Volkanovski’s athleticism has been a key factor in his UFC run. The Australian native entered the UFC with a 14-1 record and, much like his fellow champions on this list, just kept winning until he was facing off against former title challengers in the form of Chad Mendes, who he TKO’d, or former champions like Jose Aldo, who he beat via decision. With his winning ways he then saw himself across the Octagon from UFC Featherweight Champion Max Holloway. In a 5 round tactical battle, Volkanovski earned the upset win and dethroned the surging Holloway who had been undefeated at 145 for a good while. It was only fitting that Volkanovski then give Holloway a chance to win the belt back and the 2nd fight was just as exciting as the first. Suffering an early knockdown, Volkanovski was able to recover and eventually work out another decision victory setting Holloway off the Featherweight mountain for the foreseeable future. There has been no set contender for Volkanovski at this time.

Men’s Bantamweight Champion - Petr Yan (15-1)
Russia’s Petr Yan entered the UFC with a bang thanks to a first round KO win. His notoriety had put Yan on some fight fans’ radar but it wasn’t until he had a pair of wins over John Dodson and Jimmie Rivera that people really begun to take notice. With those wins, Yan was paired with former WEC Featherweight Champion and UFC Bantamweight title challenger Urijah Faber in what many believed to be a true test for Yan. Within 3 rounds Yan held a prized KO win over Faber and saw himself become a top contender for Henry Cejudo’s championship. That was until Cejudo vacated the belt and then Yan was paired against Jose Aldo for the championship. Yan’s superb striking against an always game Aldo became more and more a factor and eventually Aldo succumbed to strikes midway through the fifth round. Yan’s next challenger is likely to be Aljamain Sterling but that is not official as of right now.

Men's Flyweight Champion - Deiveson Figueiredo (20-1)
Deiveson Figueredo debuted with the UFC in 2017 and immediately set the Flyweight division on fire. He picked up 4 wins quickly and then faced off against veteran Jussier Formiga. This would be a losing effort for Figueiredo but an important one which Deiveson learned from. Following the loss he then picked up a win and was pitted against former Flyweight title challenger Tim Elliott who Deiveson quickly tapped in the first round. With the Flyweight Championship vacated by Henry Cejudo, Deiveson saw his name on the marquee opposite former title challenger Joseph Benavidez. However Figueiredo came in over-weight and although he picked up a TKO win was ineligible to win the title. A rematch was then booked 5 months later and this time Deiveson had no issues with his weight. In even quicker fashion Deiveson choked out Benavidez and claimed the UFC Flyweight Championship. After Cody Garbrandt tested positive for COVID, Deiveson faced Alex Perez in November and won easily, so easily the UFC decided to rebook him for December to face #1 contender Brandon Moreno in the main event of UFC 256. Flyweight looks to be a lot more fun than it had been a year or two ago.

Women's Featherweight Champion - Amanda Nunes (20-4)
Having claimed the UFC Bantamweight Championship, Nunes would go on a winning streak while the Featherweight division sat under the control of Cristiano “Cyborg” Justino. When the two were eventually paired for a Champion vs Champion bout at Featherweight, many assumed that Nunes likely could win, but it wouldn’t be that easily. Boy did she make us all eat our words on that one. Nunes KO’d Justino in less than a minute and became the first Two Division Champion for the UFC’s women’s roster and also the first female Double Champ. From here Nunes would bounce back and forth defending her Bantamweight and Featherweight titles, most recently in Featherweight where she beat Felicia Spencer. The next title challenger is expected to be Megan Anderson, and after that it seems as though Women’s Featherweight is pretty much dead with a lack of meaningful competition.

Women's Bantamweight Champion - Amanda Nunes (20-4)
Following her third fight in the UFC, a loss to Cat Zingano, Amanda Nunes seemingly changed everything about her fighting style and went on a tear in the Bantamweight division. She would pick up wins over title challengers like Sara McMann and top title contender Valentina Shevchenko. This thrusted her into a Bantamweight Championship match against reigning champion Miesha Tate at UFC 200 which saw Nunes easily win in just three and a half minutes. Following this she would welcome former champion Ronda Rousey back to the UFC, and simultaneously retire her as well. A rematch with Shevchenko and a win over Raquel Pennington saw Nunes quickly become a top champion in the division. When she was put into a Champion vs Champion bout against Cristiano Justino, we all just assumed she would be undersized and yet she surprised us again with a quick KO. Since then she defended her Bantamweight title twice against Holly Holm, who she KO’d, and Germain de Randamie and then went back to Featherweight being the only truly active multi-weight champion defending both her titles. Nunes is taking her next fight at Featherweight while Bantamweight tries to figure out who is up next for The Lioness.

Women’s Flyweight Champion - Valentina Shevchenko (20-3)
Debuting as a Bantamweight, Shevchenko’s skills were easily notable in the women’s division. However key losses to Amanda Nunes at UFC 196 in a non-title bout, and then later in a title bout at UFC 215 would see her return to the Flyweight division which she had fought in during her pre-UFC days. A fight against then champion Nicco Montano fizzled when Mantano couldn’t make weight let alone the fight due to illness and was stripped. Valentina then faced former kickboxing opponent and former UFC Strawweight Champion Joanna Jedrzejczyk for the vacant belt which she won. Since then Shevchenko has been on a tear with KO and TKO wins over Jessica Eye and Katlyn Chookagian and a decision win over Liz Carmouche (who Shevchenko lost to prior to the UFC). Shevchenko faced and defeated Jennifer Maia and again we are left searching for someone worth the effort.

Women's Strawweight Champion - Zhang Weili (21-1)
Zhang Weili made a name for herself in China’s MMA circuit before being picked up by the UFC. With a quick succession of victories over Jessica Aguilar and Tecia Torres, Weili looked to be the Chinese star the UFC could put their marketing efforts behind and they did so when they put her against then Strawweight champion Jessica Andrade at an event in Shenzhen, China. Much like Andrade quickly earned a KO win to claim the belt, Weili returned the favor and claimed the championship becoming China’s first UFC champion. In her next outing she would face former Strawweight champion Joanna Jedrzejczyk in an all out war that earned FOTN and also left Joanna looking seriously deformed thanks to significant hematomoas. With Rose Namajunas, another former Strawweight champion, returning and picking up a win over Andrade, it seems like Weili will likely face Thug Rose next to cement herself as the greatest Strawweight Champion in UFC history.

As always, if i forgot something please let me know.

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Nov 30, 2020

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tezcatlipoca posted:

There's no such thing as needlessly antagonistic towards people who defend and condone the UFC's and others' flagrant abuse of public health so they can make more money while their fighters drop like flies. Calling people lovely for expressing views like that is good and appropriate.

There is when you're hurling insults at someone rather than just talking like an adult. Nobody, Brut, Commonshore, JaySB etc. disagrees that running events right now is a super dumb idea. However we are just posters on the internet forum, not actually capable of effecting changes in how the UFC operates. As Brut pointed out, this isn't really just a UFC issue, its an issue with the US and a lot of how the US seems to be incredibly stupid with its approach. The NFL kept chugging along despite this week the entire Denver Broncos QB lineup getting covid or a few weeks ago a bunch of people in other teams getting COVID. Look at the grappling thread, there's tons of people who post both here and in the UFC thread talking about how there are idiots at their gyms in the US/Canada/Europe training despite the high risk of spread. The only person who actively has been able to train during all of this is me and I live in a country that actually did stuff to prevent COVID spread unlike the US and guess what, Korea has had a spike of cases and now my gym is closed. All of those instances are less the fault of the viewers and more the fault of the organizers and those in the local governments who didnt tell them to not do it strong enough.

I have had to miss both my grandmother's funeral and my father's funeral this year because the USA, not the UFC, could not get its collective head out of its rear end long enough to actually do something to help the situation and make it safe enough for me to go back and pay my final respects. Not to mention my family being barred from visiting my dad in the hospital during his final month of life because of risk of exposure to COVID. So don't talk to me about how I'm somehow complicit in anything with regards to ignoring the pandemic. It is very real to me and has done more harm to my family and my own personal mental health and life than you're assuming. Talk to me when you can't go collect the ashes of your dad and have no clue how long until you can do that because a whole country has decided protesting at governor's mansions armed to the teeth over being told masks are important to wear is a greater issue than ensuring that proper public health practices are enforced.

The UFC is poo poo, nobody is disagree with that statement. The UFC are stupid for still running events despite the pandemic not easing in the US as we enter winter which is when it is far easier for the virus to spread. The UFC is also stupid as poo poo for not doing a dozen other fighter friendly things over the past 25 years, nobody disagrees with these statements. However, the UFC also is a company, not a country, and are a symptom of an issue and not a cause. If you want to get mad at the state of the US then go talk to Donald Trump & his crew of abject imbeciles and ghouls who think your life matters less than another dollar in their bank account, and not the UFC thread posters in this thread who don't have any power over the UFC or the US government, and use this thread as away to get their mind off the overbearing stress of what is going on.

Oh hey look, I was able to talk to you like an adult and not be needlessly antagonistic nor insult you. Go figure.

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Dec 1, 2020

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Gumball Gumption posted:

The idea this thread is an oasis from the real world doesn't really stand up when the fighters themselves are getting covid and getting sick. No one is dragging reality into the thread, the UFC is by having fighters get sick. If having it pointed out that you have to actively ignore something happening right in front of you too actually enjoy the UFC makes you feel bad, maybe stop watching UFC of get more comfortable with feeling bad. Definitely don't ask people to not point out reality to you.

Nobody is saying you're not allowed to point out the bad things that the UFC does. This thread has been, and continues to, be a lot of discussion about how crappy the UFC treats fighters. I already said before I'm 100% fine with people talking about the issues the UFC is facing with running events during a pandemic and agree its the dumbest thing in the world to do. Brut & I have both asked, multiple times, for the bare minimum standard of not being an rear end in a top hat when talking about it. Some people have been able to do that, others haven't. Like I posted above, the UFC is a symptom of a far greater issue and not the cause of it.

Also regarding "Definitely don't ask people to not point out reality to you." I'll personally take exception to being accused of being somehow responsible and accepting of the spread of COVID in the USA because I stayed at home (in a different country than the USA, that actually had its poo poo together) and watched a thing that was on TV. You know a thing that took more than just the viewers (eg. the CEOs, the networks etc.) to get organized and could have instead said "you know what, maybe this is a bad idea to run right now." Which is the same thing you are actively doing with regards to watching AEW this past week, those who watch NFL do every Sunday, those who watch F1, etc. etc. Especially when COVID has, as I pointed out above, directly affected my ability to attend close family members funerals this year. Nobody in these threads can control what Dana White, Ari Emanuel and the chucklefucks at ESPN decide to do. We simply can't. If you argue differently that's fine, but I wholeheartedly disagree. We can only discuss the ongoings of what is happening in the UFC (and have actively been saying this was a dumb idea since Dana first tried to get an event on a reservation only to be told by Disney & the CA governor he is an idiot and to stop), again not unlike what you and the other posters are doing in the AEW, WWE, NFL, Sumo, etc. threads.

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Dec 1, 2020

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Only nerds don't get invited to the covid parties.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Tyson Pedro has been injured the past two years, and I don't know which kickboxer you are referring to other than maybe Jimmy Crute who seems to be doing well at the moment.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

LobsterMobster posted:

Does that mean her lawsuit against Mortal Kombat didn't turn out well for her?

Wait she was suing Mortal Kombat?

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Wandy somehow turned TUF Brasil fans, ostensibly Brazilians, against him when he coached opposite Chael Sonnen. How hard was it to be the local hero against the bad guy American :psyduck:

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

BlindSite posted:

When Wanderlei demanded Chael apologise to brazil or he wouldn't coach opposite him Chael took him into a room and explained to him that he was trying to be an rear end in a top hat and he'd be a hero to brazil and make a lot of money when they fought. More than they would if they got along. He asked Wanderlei if he understood, Wanderlei said he did.

Then they walked out of the room and Wanderlei demanded he apologise or he wouldn't coach opposite him.

Yeah it was the most pants on head stupid moment I can recall in TUF.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Untrustable posted:

I am! gently caress that's been bothering me. What happened to Gokhan Saki? Pulled out of a fight in February '19, never to be seen again.

Iirc he got cut between now and then. He was p old for fight age when he joined the UFC (after many wars in K1) and probably was never gonna make it to the top. Khalil Rountree KOing him will always live on though.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Isn't McCorkle still trolling Schaub on Twitter?

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
if Yoel goes to ONE we could get a super freakshow juice head fight between him and Vitor. :ohdear:

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

What is it gonna take for these stupid fucks to cancel a card or IDK take stronger measures to prevent the fighters from getting exposed in general lol. This company is so dumb.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah it was a rhetorical question.

I know the UFC give zero fucks about anyone they contract to fight.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Dana says there's going to be roughly 60 cuts to the UFC roster coming up.

Won't someone please think of their bank balance during this pandemic???
Those fighters can all go fight on a street corner for $20 and catch Covid after all, but if the UFC reports a loss for FY 2020, HEAVEN FORBID.

To further elaborate this piece of news:

https://www.mmafighting.com/2020/12...o-entire-roster

quote:

“It’s not just Yoel,” White said when asked about Romero’s release. “We’re going to go through some serious cuts here at the end of the year. Probably going to have 60 cuts before the first of the year. Yoel has lost four of his last five. He’s 44 years old. Our roster is very inflated right now. We’re going to have some big cuts coming before the end of the year.

“You’re going to see a lot of names going here in the next several weeks.”

Yay: UFC realizes they have an inflated roster (something we've all said for a while)
Boo: They're addressing it in a pretty ham fisted sorta way because they're dumb idiots

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Dec 6, 2020

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ilmucche posted:

the ufc only pays if they fight don' they? those guys weren't getting paid anyway?

They have to have X number of fights as per the contract. So even if a guy is ready to fight and the UFC doesn't give them one in a specified amount of time (under the terms of the contract) they, the UFC, would have to pay the fighter a certain agreed upon amount of money.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Eat This Glob posted:

also lol at thinking the ufc had this figured out or had their fighters' wellbeing in mind at all

The first event they did in Jacksonville seemed very on the up and up and seemed to be doing things well to help limit exposure but yeah, I don't think anyone genuinely thought this would work out long term.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tezcatlipoca posted:

Hasn't Dana White been walking around and interacting with everyone without a mask this whole time? That by itself makes the whole thing a joke.

I haven't watched any of the behind the scenes/weigh-in stuff but yeah probably.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Untrustable posted:

If they cut Arlovski I want a final 3 day probe, but instead of knocked out or nutkicked Arlovski I want some sort of triumphant Arlovski picture to remember him as he was: The best worst fighter.

It'll be when he had the belt.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Untrustable posted:

You don't get enough credit for the things you do.

I prefer it that way.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Friend, have a seat. I'm gonna explain how the US is, and always has been, a death cult and that we never once stopped being one.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Josuke Higashikata posted:

You guys are usually somewhat less transparent about it and also more outwardly focused with the wanton death. I think that might be key difference currently.

American exceptionalism is a thing yes.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
At least he admitted he was dumb with that one.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
OSP's victory pose is actually him emulating what he'd like to do when he gets home: eat butt

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Hollandia posted:

Getting around to watching the embeddeds - Figueiredo used to be a hair stylist?

Bring back mixed martial arfs

Yeah and also has a pet water buffalo or something.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
OK I take it back, I want my GSP bald.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Digital Jedi posted:

GSP getting into Cyberpunk 2077 a bit

Probably to help him deal with the alien abductions and destress a bit.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bluedeanie posted:

His cheek scar was from his troubled youth in a street fight

LobsterMobster posted:

didn't he got bottled in a rotterdam nightclub when him and valentijn started fighting dudes or am i conflating that with another overeem story

It was this

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Snowman_McK posted:

I forgot the most ridiculous thing he did: somehow going to decision with Frank Mir.

For people who know more about kickboxing, how good was he as a kickboxer? He's clearly got a fuckload of firepower and hits like a truck, but how do his skills rank?

He actually was pretty good. He mostly, from what I remember of his K-1 WGP run, used his size and strength to get a clinch and land a power knee. K-1 ended up adapting the rules to put a limit on the length of time you can hold a clinch more or less as a result of him.

He beat some top level talent who arguably were towards the end of their careers but even then that's still impressive.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tezcatlipoca posted:

He was really good but didn't fight for very long and had a very convenient Grand Prix run in K1. By the time he was kickboxing K1 had changed the clinch rules to nerf Buakaw so his best skillset/distance was compromised but he still did well for himself.

Buakaw was un MaX WGP nit the WGP tho. unless you're saying that to explain why some fighters moved away from K-1 at that time. IIRC, that's when It's Showtime was really picking up steam, albeit for the smaller fighters.

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Dec 15, 2020

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Snowman_McK posted:

so, essentially, good, but unclear exactly how good?

No, he beat legit talent in legit fights and was arguably the best kickboxer at that time and arguably the best combat sports fighter period for that year due to holding MMA titles and Kickboxing titles. It was just also a year that was, due to no fault of his own, a slightly questionable run due to Badr being out, and stuff. The bracket was arguably the best for him out of all the other fighters that year, but it was still a stacked tournament final.

He also murdered Everton Texeira with a helacious knee that lives on in Texeira's nightmares.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fmpo2lT8NI

To put this in perspective, Overeem took 3rd in the WGP in 2009, then 1st in the WGP in 2010. He is quite a legit kickboxer and was with Golden Glory for a good portion of his career.

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Dec 15, 2020

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

EthanSteele posted:

I miss Joe Silva.

https://mmajunkie.usatoday.com/2020/06/joe-silva-stories-twitter-hashtag-emerges-ufc-fighter-pay-spotlight

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Good. More fighters should do this. Except instead of Bellator or ONE, join PFL because they seem to be less shady/idiotic.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

blue footed boobie posted:

The UFC must descend into moral relativism arguments more than any other thread on these dead forums.

Nah, I think CSPAM does that far more often with who it is OK to fantasize about murdering or something.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nobody is saying any of that your weirdo.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Shumagorath posted:

Did we already discuss Greg Jackson mulling a congressional run centred on his deep conviction for keeping Jon Jones out of jail criminal justice reform?

No but that sounds like it is worth sharing the details of.

Nice

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Troy Queef posted:

no, if memory serves he got bought out by the DC/NoVA money men a couple years back and they changed the name from the WSOF. the new regime still kept Ray Sefo on as matchmaker and head of fighter ops.

This is a Washington Business Journal article on the folks who bought out WSOF

https://www.bizjournals.com/washington/news/2017/01/30/d-c-area-business-leaders-buy-major-stake-in-mixed.html

https://www.bizjournals.com/washington/news/2017/04/19/russ-ramsey-donn-davis-launch-professional-mma.html

Basically what I could tell, WSOF had some internal squabbling amongst its business operators/investors so some of them broke away to form a new investment group to buy out the other owners to unfuck the business.

I don't know how Abdelaziz is involved though, still reading the articles.

Edit -

On another article from MMAJunkie, the WSOF in 2015 parted ways with Abdelaziz, and in a 2019 article off of BodyLockMMA, Ali seems to just be a manager who got a lot of the fighters in the brackets under his management company who seems to be on good terms with PFL operators/managers to do dumb poo poo.

https://thebodylockmma.com/pfl/ali-abdelaziz-and-the-pfls-exceedingly-controversial-past-and-present/

Edit 2 -

So it seemed in the WSOF days, Ali was part of the WSOF organization while also representing fighters as their manager which was a pretty blatant conflict of interest issue, which is why in 2015 he was let go. With regards to PFL, he just seems to be inserting himself in poo poo and getting into scuffles like at PFL 1 with Kamaru Usman over some drunk guy making a racist remark etc.

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Dec 24, 2020

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CommonShore posted:

ok I have an idea for something we can post about for the next three weeks that doesn't involve getting in big fights and hating on each other -

I know the year isn't technically over yet, but why don't we jazz up the year-end awards a bit this time around? Would anybody be interested in doing effortposts/reviews advocating for such and such to win a particular award (or not to win it?) As in "here's why this event should be event of the year."

E.g. I'd have to review the whole list, but I believe Garbrandt's KO of Assuncao should win over Buckley's flippy kick, and I've already gushed about Hermansson's heel hook of Gastelum. I'd be willing to make posts about why they're good and worth voting for.

This would be good and cool, and what I wanted to do but I've been very bad about updating the spreadsheet for the awards. I'm moving next week and will have til the 5th off of work so I can do some of it once I get internet sorted with my new house.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mr. Nice! posted:

Our real gift this year was Greg Hardy getting whomped.

sadly it wasnt that vicious of a ko/tko :smith: