Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

trouser chili posted:

Darchangel, I’m sorry for bringing this back up but I just read about Jude and your Thanksgiving. For as good as they are, dogs really deserve longer lives. Jude was a good boy. I’m glad you got to be a part of the majority of his life and that his life meant so much to you. Don’t ever be ashamed of your feelings for him, he was surely never ashamed of his affection for you.

Couldn’t say it better myself. I had to put down my dog two years ago on New Years Day (he only had a month or so but was bitten by another dog). It still makes me tear up. There hasn’t been any trick to coping, just time and thinking about the good times we all had with him that make it a little easier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

mariooncrack posted:

I thought you guys would appreciate this:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/justinsirois/lost-tomb-of-the-bitchin-chimera-dead-milkmen-rpg-module

Guitar chat:

Anyone play acoustic or classical? Kind of interested in that but I don't think I have the time unfortunately.

I don’t so much anymore, but a few years back I played classical almost exclusively. For better or worse, I got back into electric guitar and now just try to have fun jamming along with songs and making the odd recording.

I’m never going to discourage anyone from learning an instrument. It may be a hobby for me, but it really has helped me through my life. Good times and bad. So yeah, no harm in trying I think. Yamaha makes some good acoustics that aren’t all that expensive.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

RIP Paul Walker posted:

Guitar chat: any recommendations for a decent guitar I can gift to a beginner? Budget conscious but I’ll pay for something decent (and used is totally fine) - it’ll be a Christmas gift for my girlfriend.

It’s hard to go wrong with an electric Squier these days as well. I’d go new too, but even their $200 guitars are pretty great. Yamaha would be my first choice for an acoustic, but Epiphone and Seagull are also generally pretty good. There’s a guitar thread in Musicians’ Lounge if you’re really in the weeds.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

meatpimp posted:

Computer stop-gap advice needed -- I'm using an old Dell with an i7-2600 and 8gb ram for now. I just got a nice LG 27" 4k monitor, but the old computer won't even drive it at full resolution, it tops out at 19x10. It's using internal Intel Graphics. What's a cheap reasonably modern graphics card that will preferably handle both monitors?

Plans are to have this one dumped to linux distro duty once I get a new system, so it's a permanent solution, but not one to dump a ton of money on.

Probably an RX 550 or GT 1030. Anything lower looks like they max out at 2560 x 1600. You might be able to get a B-Stock or used one to save a few more dollars. I haven’t used an AMD card with Linux, but I think the driver situation is much better than 10 years ago.

A brief look on eBay turned up a few good options, but I think I’d opt for the 1030. They’ve got passively cooled ones, which I’d definitely lean toward.

nitsuga fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Dec 2, 2020

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Liquid Communism posted:

Wet shaving is the way. I've never found an electric that doesn't give me horrible razorburn and ingrowns.

I use a Merkur 23c long handle that I think I got from these guys: https://www.westcoastshaving.com/collections/merkur/products/merkur-23c-long-handle-safety-razor

Can't beat the price, Gillette disposable-head razors are almost as expensive and this thing will absolutely outlive me.

Impeccable taste you have. I've got a similar kit and it really isn't THAT fussy even with a brush and puck. Let it soak for a bit in a jar then scrub up. Shaving cream is OK too, but I'd definitely recommend anyone interested giving the whole thing a go.