Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
I've got a couple of acoustic guitars, an electric, and a couple of basses.
I tuned the bass like 7 months ago and rocked out for like 20 minutes. That was about it. Back in the case and been shuffled around the basement ever since.
For a while there I was getting into synths and drum machines, and DJ stuff but then I got sidetracked and spent like $10,000 on computer keyboards and it's been downhill ever since.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
Well RIP Arecibo.
https://www.space.com/arecibo-observatory-radio-telescope-collapse-photos

I'm gonna go drink and play through GoldenEye.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
Man I am really bad at Christmas. I just bought myself like $50 worth of soldering supplies because I can't be arsed to wait a month to get them if anyone needed gift suggestions.
Then again I'm not really a great gift receiver. I usually just don't give a gently caress. I'd rather you just get me socks or something incredibly weird that I would have never gotten myself anyway.

BraveUlysses posted:

FINALLY have an interview for an IT job after being unemployed for 4 months, now to spend the next 27 hours internally freaking out about doing my first interview in 14 years
Congrats and good luck my dude!

opengl128 posted:

Sure it does, I've been watching HDR content off my Plex server for a couple years now.

oh gently caress thanks for the reminder that I need to actually DO something with that 64TB NAS I built like 3 months ago.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
Can someone point me to the Photography thread? I can't seem to find it.

Also, this:
https://petapixel.com/2017/07/31/photographing-2500000-car-50000-camera/

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

LobsterboyX posted:

car bike stuff - I've been offered a pair of 1960 Honda Dream 300's for like no money at all... do I do it?

You're a loving idiot if you don't.
https://www.cycletrader.com/listing/1965-Honda-Dream-305-5014762779

There's still enough boomers alive to make it worth getting them running and cleaning them up to flip them.
https://www.motorcycleclassics.com/classic-japanese-motorcycles/honda-dream-ca77-zmwz14jfzbea

oh hey guys I made a box fort:

My kid is gonna love this poo poo.

I gotta find more boxes and make some tunnels and turrets and poo poo.

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Dec 3, 2020

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

LobsterboyX posted:

A long winded post about credit:

When I was 17, Mom explained what credit was to me, we figured out easy ways for kids to start building credit and it totally boiled down to "dont spend money you dont have" and use this credit card and pay it in full every month, quickly i got better cards . It was when she went in to the Lexus dealership to buy her LX470, which was so fuckin cool that a single, hard working, no handouts, mom could afford a $85k luxo truck (the same model of car that I own now). We were waiting for the final verdict as to the deal she was trying to strike on the car, and the salesman came in and said "Mam, with all due respect, and with my word as a man, I can honestly say I've never seen anyone with a perfect credit score - you can literally have any car in this dealership, or any dealership in the state". I was just thinking about this entire experience, after they figured that out, they literally treated us like royalty.

Fast forward to 2013 I had a great job and my 1995 Buick roadmaster wagon had given up on me one too many times, and relying on 50s cars was out of the question - Mom went with me to the Toyota dealership to look at the first new car I'd ever buy. We were in the same situation and the kinda dirty, young, cigarette stank salesman came back and said "your credit is great for someone our age, how'd you do that man?" not quite the same fanfare that my mom got - it still made me very proud, and I know it made her proud too. At that point I had an 812 credit score. Yeah I used the amex lounges when I traveled.

In 2017 I paid off my student loans, things were good, I had the money, I was making the money and this was the final key to being totally debt free. Upon paying off that loan my credit score tanked by 25 points, no matter what anyone says, to me there is no rational explanation for your credit score tanking - your are succeeding in paying off a debt, why do you get "punished" for something like that? I read and read about why things like this happen, I get it but still gently caress that - I was determined to get back to where I was before I paid off my debt.

Just today, when I checked I hit 801. I am completely debt free still. I still have some way to go to get back to where I was and I really hope one day I'll be able to get my moms credit score.

The martial art belt level up story kinda made me look for small triumphs.

Credit rating isn't just an indication of how quickly you pay off debt. It's also an indicator of how likely someone else is to make money off you.
In general the whole credit score thing is pretty hosed and should never EVER be used as an indication of a person's character, but it frequently is.
My credit score is in the 800's and I've spent over $10,000 on loving keyboards (not literally loving them.) in the last 6 month. Please explain to me how my credit score reflects my fiscally responsible nature /s

Anywho, good for you. That's still an accomplishment.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Ether Frenzy posted:

I hope you mean musical keyboards and not that you've got 50 different mechanical keyboards depending on what your mood is.

What does your heart tell you?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

trouser chili posted:

I know what mine says.

This baby has built so much internet....

Sexy.
Would rub that nub.

And yeah those kinds of keyboards. I don't even want to talk about my artisan habit right now. I'm entering the same number of raffles I always have, except now I've started actually winning for some reason. My poor wallet.
There's also been a RIDICULOUS number of keyboards out in the last few months that I've been interested in, and a bunch more coming up between now and March.

Rhyno posted:

Bill Barr just quit.

I saw this and I'm still not sure how to feel about it. I don't know if it's a good thing or a bad thing.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

the spyder posted:

Welp, volun-told I'm being scheduled for one of the two covid vaccines by jan 25th. Family some time in april. Should be interesting...

My wife's a nurse and she's getting it Saturday.
Not thrilled about her being a guinea pig but she seems pretty happy about it.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

LobsterboyX posted:

but a few weeks ago I switched to this thing:

its the Gerber Jukebox... for obvious reasons.

That is sexy.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
Wife got the Covid vaccine today and didn't die.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Humphreys posted:

What a time to be alive!

Car stereo playing a song streaming over bluetooth from my phone which is being pulled from my media server at home over 4G, and I'm skipping tracks with my watch....

oh speaking of smartwatches/wearables
https://wyze.com/wyze-watch.html

for $20 I am definitely in to let China spy on my heartrate.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
Knife chat still?

I inherited this from my dad who inherited it from his dad:

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Work year 2020 officially over for me. About the best I can say is I survived it. Christ what a Llama of a year

Honestly do not want another work year where I could easily top anyone else's work story with the electrocuted Llama and that's not even top five for me. Someone busted pants down in a closet with a objecting chicken wasnt even the top WTF work thing either. There's been so much crazy I dont remember even a 1/8th of it

(A branch in PNG had no power and the cause was a rather dead person in the electrical cabinet who touched live power while doing autoerotic asphixiation might be the top WTF? this year)

(Doesnt top the PNG IT support guy who was murdered in a witch doctor ritual)

(I wish I was making that last one up)

There's still like 10 days left. I'm betting someone tries to combine all the aforementioned.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
that looks AWESOME.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

the spyder posted:

The T-Series is my go-to recommendation for a laptop for friends/car friends looking to tune. They are cheap on eBay, plenty of parts available, and overall reliable. Kinda like a F150. They have made so many, all the bugs are know. I'm rocking a T430 and T450 in the shop. And a W530 in the house.

Same rec but I prefer the x220 form factor. I snagged two for like $100/150 each almost 9 years ago.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
I "celebrated" New Year's with my wife once, 10 years ago.
It was a last minute "I guess we could do something" party. I invited a handful of people that I knew didn't have plans and made a bunch of food like a leg of lamb, a ham, a fuckton of appetizers and other nice things.

Almost 100 people showed up over the course of the evening and it turned into the biggest get drunk shitfest of debauchery. Luckily nothing was trashed, and somehow my bar survived relatively unscathed. Just a few handles of cheaper liquor were demolished. The hammock broke from being overloaded but other than that everything was surprisingly cool. That was the last time I hosted a New Year's "party" though. I remember waking up at 5am to my friend's phone BLARING Pretty Lights as he's unconscious on the floor next to it. My (now) wife was so hungover that she couldn't get out of bed and decided to vomit into a wicker trash can, and I literally couldn't walk through any part of the house without tripping over some passed out drunk.

Everything since has pretty much been champagne straight from the bottle and telemundo on TV. We went out and did a fancy dinner in DC one year but it was expensive, the food was not great, the cocktails were boring (and expensive) and the band was not enough to make up for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

meatpimp posted:

Aaaand... 2020 ends with me 5150'ing my 18 year old son. What a loving year. gently caress this year.

2021 will be better.

Well that fuckin blows. Hopefully he gets the help he needs. That's not an easy thing to do, let alone keep doing.