Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
Darchangel, I’m sorry for bringing this back up but I just read about Jude and your Thanksgiving. For as good as they are, dogs really deserve longer lives. Jude was a good boy. I’m glad you got to be a part of the majority of his life and that his life meant so much to you. Don’t ever be ashamed of your feelings for him, he was surely never ashamed of his affection for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

LobsterboyX posted:

car bike stuff - I've been offered a pair of 1960 Honda Dream 300's for like no money at all... do I do it?

How do you feel about motorcycle chariots?

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
My son found my old PS2 and Gran Turismo 4 last night. I can’t believe it, but it’s as old as my son. He has a driver’s license. It also holds up pretty well and twenty-four hours later...

Knocked out 210 laps of Nurburgring farming with B-Spec. There are so many cars I still don’t have in this one.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

Humphreys posted:

Me and a housemate used to marathon that game, yelling from our rooms to each other. We exclusively used our real world cars in challanges, he had an R31 Skyline and I had Toyota Sera.

My son was asking why I have two identical Integra Type-R, one is pristine - all stock with 0 miles, the other a fully modified heavily-used track rat. Need I say more? Some day the appreciation on that pristine survivor will pay off....

Ether Frenzy posted:

That game being capable of 1080i was extremely the poo poo in 1973 or whenever it came out

Yeah, it took a bit to figure out WTF with it though. The game is 1080i while driving, but menus are still 480i! So you set it to 1080i, it jumps to 1080i, the TV even says "hay guys, I got a 1080i signal up my butt now' and the console asks if you can confirm the settings, you say "yes", and it drops back to 480i. No matter how much coaxing and fiddling with the TV I couldn't get the drat thing to go back in to 1080i. I spent at least an hour fiddling with the console, the TV, my connections. You fuckin name it; I think I one point I was even in the garage moving a ground strap on the ITR and cleaning out mousetraps.

In any case, in frustration I left it set at 1080i and went to play a couple laps. Soon as the race started...bam! fuckin 1080i, man. The screenshot I posted earlier was from a 480i 4:3 aspect ratio, it's now set at 1080i and 16:9. Both are playing on a Walmart-special black-friday-acquired 2013 Vizio E701i-A3E. It's got one column kinda burnt and another that's kinda in-and-out, but it's functional enough. Had to take this shot from an angle as well due to the early-morning glare in that room.

trouser chili fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Dec 4, 2020

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
I musta helped my in-laws move a dozen times apiece. Once or twice across the drat state! The two times I’ve moved in my life; They’re no-where in sight. They gotta work, someone’s gotta watch the kids....

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
Mooecow, it's been nearly a month and my balls are as blue as your truck. What's the new car?

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

Rhyno posted:

Thanks for all the thoughts guys. I've processed beyond blaming myself and now I'm focused on what I should be, blaming Republicans for letting this pandemic happen.

Your telling of Kris's death and how it affects you put me right back on the same thought process regarding a friend of mine who died earlier this year. So many similarities and echos across time, coincidences that demand meaning....I must have wrote a post here and deleted it a dozen times now. So I guess watch out for it, cause it comes back. Like Kris, my friend was one of the best dudes I knew. I don't wanna tell you how to channel your energy about the whole thing, but I'm trying to take the best parts I knew of my friend and make them part of me. Giving up on blaming the bad, focusing on moving the good forward. Ultimately it's easier to cope.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

LloydDobler posted:

Credit is interesting, we're told that it's a measure of your risk, but I think it's devolved into more of a "will this person be profitable".

Definitely a little bit of both. Every process and product and service within any given business is beholden to the profit motive.

On the good new front, one of my stock holdings announced they're paying a $3.10 cash dividend this quarter per share, and I have over 3500 shares! Now I can afford a PS5 on ebay! I'm not getting one of course, but it's nice to know that I could. Maybe I'll pick up one of those bill-fifty manchurian motor munchers for Schwags though. With another complete F22 sittin' on the floor I can afford to blow one up.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

NitroSpazzz posted:

When you blow that one up I'll give you a deal on a dry sump F20. That's some nice dividend, well done.

F20C? I can't use no clockwise Honda. I mean I want to, but it would be hard to get into a FWD Accord. That dividend really floored me, it's equal to something a bit more than 15% of the share price.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

What does your heart tell you?

I know what mine says.

This baby has built so much internet....

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

IOwnCalculus posted:

Nice. I finally spent hours tearing down and deep cleaning my Model M, followed by a bolt mod and adding epoxy to the barrel plate anywhere it was already cracked.

It's now a much quieter, and even better feeling keyboard. Something like half the original rivets were broken so of course the barrel plate was making a racket anytime I typed.

I love mine. I actually have a not insignificant collection of model M, including two other with trackpoint in them. A lot of my work used to be cutting and pasting between terminals and well, a lot of it still is. The trackpoint is very convenient for quick mouse movements between them, but I haven’t used this keyboard for office work in years. Co-workers don’t appreciate the buckle keys as much as I do. It’s come out of retirement since covid though, and that’s been nice.

Humphreys posted:

Anyone looked at car-tracking hardware incase of theft? A lot of GPS trackers I find are simple GSM stuff which is being retired here in Australia. Thinking of using a spare android phone with some software linked to my google account hidden in a panel might be the way to go. The way it breadcrumbs was neat when I lost my phone last year and managed to find it from it's automatic location updates.

That’s always been my plan, but never realized the dream.

trouser chili fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Dec 12, 2020

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
I use American Family. They’re not in all states, but the reps I’ve had over the years have all been quite good, the claims I’ve had to deal with have all been quite good, and the rates I’ve received have all been pretty good. Their communications have also always been quite good. The only thing I don’t insure with them is the ITR, because Hagerty is uniquely designed for that situation.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
Just a minute to come up for air. Got a meeting in six hours. Awesome.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

StormDrain posted:

Ugh I am reminded that I've lost my Benchmade for like the third time.

I have also lost my daily carry Benchmade. It was a 1st run numbered Emissary. Kinda sad about it, but my fallback is a composite leek, so not too bad. Prefer the deep carry of the Emissary but the clip on it was pretty bad otherwise. It’s been gone over two years now. Been thinking pretty hard about an OTF Benchmade, I also have a mini auto ruckus, nothing mini about it though. I think it weighs two or three pounds. The regular rukus is a folding sword.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

Humphreys posted:

Holy poo poo thats scary.

Almost every house I’ve known to burn down was being remodeled at the time or shortly prior.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

Ferremit posted:

I daily carry a pair of leathermans- a Charge Ti and a Supertool 300.

So many people ask me why I have two- How many times dealing with wire fencing do you need two pairs of pliers?

AKA: Why my left hand grips like a vice and maintains the highest scar per inch ratio. It’s like the bad part of town over there. Whatever’s hanging around is gonna get cut up, destroyed, or gentrified.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
This guy Rons.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
Scored two out of eight on the Road and Track best sports car shortlist. A solid “F” effort at just 25% complete, but I ain’t complaining.

For those that don’t wanna bother to read the article, they picked the 289 Cobra as the best. It’s been on my own shortlist for some time now, and now I’m thoroughly convinced it should be next.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
I’ve been a homeowner over 22 years and three properties. Twenty of those years I’ve been married. Together we have two children, they’re now 16 & 13 years old. With numerous extended-families living close by, we’ve always been afforded large Christmas celebrations. This is nice but the scope of people (and dogs!) involved also always dictated a centralized Christmas celebration location. Two actually; One on my side and another on the wife’s. For decades we’d drag ourselves out of bed in the early morning and drive to grandparents’ houses to open presents. This progressive Christmas celebration run had become a veritable gauntlet of visits and formalities, the timings of which was of critical importance to avoid missed expectations and hurt feelings, and don’t even get me started on the logistics of packages and presents and toys.

The result of Covid is that today, for the first time ever, our little family of four is going to spend all of Christmas in our own home and I don’t have anywhere else to say this without hurt feelings; I’m so happy!

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

rdb posted:

A little late to the party, but I have a thinkpad P72 for work. It looks about the same as the T series, but I do a little bit in AutoCad, and thats what I was given. Its been really good.

Do you use the Thunderbolt III “dock” with it as well? I have two of the big bastards and they’ve been nothing but trouble as long as I use that dock with them. It’ll pump out four monitors on it though, which is great cause I need that. Also I end up working in really large datasets in very dynamic situations, and the p72 has the rear end to get it done. But I really feel like if I didn’t have two I’d never have one running. Past couple days I’ve been limping on a x1 Carbon cause my local machine poo poo and damned if I’m going into the office again this year.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

Applebees Appetizer posted:

:ssh: don’t tell him!

:v:

Too late I'm postin' chit. Check out my Ferrari update.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Oh good I escaped 2020. I hope ya'll do too!

There's still time!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

Rhyno posted:

My wife likes family gatherings, we're getting numerous guilt trips over tonight. I was close to sending gently caress OFF through the group chat.

I'm so tired.

Same. And it's like everyone's trying not to impart the guilt they know in their heart you should feel, but like it can't help but bleed across. Families are fun.

And then there are situations like my sister, whom due to cancer lives in near isolation today. I have little concern she would infect me, her risk profile is off the charts and as such she manages her threat vectors very tightly. Similarly I live in near isolation as well, even my children are distance-learning this year. As such I don't mind sharing my bubble with her from time to time, as long as she's comfortable with it. I can see the questioning or perhaps jealously in other family members though. It shouldn't be so hard to explain we don't want to visit solely because members of your household work in the service industries, one as a cashier at a pharmacy!

trouser chili fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Dec 31, 2020