Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

kastein posted:

You're in indiana, I'm pretty sure only alabama is in the past from there

E: and my half of massachusetts, where it's 1864 and we're not in the union, apparently

:lol: it's crazy, ain't it?

If Trump accomplished nothing else positive, he certainly convinced a lot of closet racists to fly their true colors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

LobsterboyX posted:

ahh, remeber when you didnt have to dial the area code to make a call? that was great... also "hello mrs. __________ is ___________ there?"

When I was growing up, if I wanted to call someone locally (same first 6 digits), I could just type the last 4. We also had the old analog tone system in use far later than most (captain crunch, blue boxes, etc), and there were still active ringback codes (which got me tossed out of the local mall a couple times... Malls, remember those?)

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
Congrats Bajaha! Feel good story of the day.

There's gonna be a lot of COVID babies...

My wife started feeling like she had a cold on Saturday. Got COVID tested on Sunday. Positive result came back today. I'm getting tested now, just to confirm that I'm positive. I can't imagine I'm not, since we spend most of our time together.

gently caress. I'm asymptomatic, she's just congested and ran a 99.2° fever for the weekend, back to normal now.

I wish there was a way to know how we caught it. We're super careful, both work from home/alone. Only trips are groceries once every 3 weeks and a recent doctor's appointment for her.

Stay safe out there, folks. I lost a cousin a couple weeks ago out in Arizona.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

InitialDave posted:

We've been in this poo poo so long there's already covid babies.
Yeah, it's crazy.

cursedshitbox posted:

This guy fucks. Congratulations!!! Sweet deathkart too :D

Ugh loving poo poo that sucks man. Sorry to hear. Could have been the doctor's appointment.

As for AZ... yeah I see why. Locals act like there is no virus at all. Its bad.

fwiw telling some rando without a mask that's trying to get closer than a grindr hookup that they're interacting with someone that might have covid stops em dead in their loving tracks. Like they've just pissed off momma bear stopped. They don't give a poo poo about other people's lives but when theirs get involved, the gears start to spin.
Yeah. It was an important appointment, we couldn't skip it. Like... REALLY important. Bajaha-news important.

And yeah, my cousin, from what I hear, was living life as normal, trips all over, seeing family at every event, hanging out with other people regularly.

Bajaha posted:

Thanks all!]

I bet, when you're stuck at home and there's not much else to entertain yourself with...
Ayup. Know the feeling.

shy boy from chess club posted:

Does anyone else use a covid exposure app? I know CT has one that I've been using. Supposed to let me know if I came within Bluetooth range of someone that's positive though it's only useful if everyone uses it. Curious if anyone here is aware of the apps and if your state has one
Nope. I bet I see fewer than 10 people a week aside from my mom and my wife. Probably should have...

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

kastein posted:

Yeah there's zero chance it's not already in the states.

My youngest brothers girlfriend just tested positive and her two kids had a crappy weekend apparently. I'm really hoping he does ok, he's immunocompromised :ohdear:

So far I've been fine but I may have had it in February, I had a really lovely week and a half at one point. I dunno. Either way, I've been avoiding everyone as much as possible and wearing a mask and hope to get vaccinated as soon as possible, I'm tired of this poo poo. gently caress living during historic times, this sucks.

Amen. I know lots of people who had a nasty respiratory illness in January or February. One traveled from the west coast to New York, another works retail in Connecticut.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

64bit_Dophins posted:

I'll make a note to add him to my morning prayers. I'm not religious but it's something I do as part of my sobriety program.

As an update to my post in the SS thread (for those who didn't see it, the apartment building right next to mine burnt down the other night. Here's what's left of it. The building off to the left in the photo is my apartment building.

For those who did not see my other post, this is what the fire looked like when it was raging.

Woof. That's too close for comfort. Any damage to your place?

And congrats on getting sober. It's a tough road. You don't need to be religious to send good thoughts to people.

STR, that sucks. Good news is they they've gotten really good at removing and reconstructing skin cancer. My MiL has had 6? surgeries to remove skin cancer, including one tumor that had grown tendrils half across her face. Other than some redness, you'd never know if you looked at her. I mean, she's no model, but she doesn't look like Frankenstein's monster.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
Merry Christmas, AI.

I got an early present: my COVID test came back positive.

Yay.

We go and knock out all our Christmas errands and go to a doctor's appointment for the first time in 6+ months, and end up catching it. I can't wait for this poo poo show of a year to be over.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

kastein posted:

Holy poo poo dude, hope everything goes ok.

Thanks.

We've both got relatively minor symptoms. Wife feels like she's got a bad head cold and loss of sense of taste. I had a low grade fever and a cough for a day, and now I have the worst body aches I've ever had. It feels like someone beat my chest, arms, and back with a wiffle bat.

The worst part is that it meant my mom was alone for Christmas. She's been part of our bubble all year, and the last time I saw her was the final F1 race on the 16th. She made latkes, we decorated her house, and we all had a good time. Two days later, we went to the doctor's appointment and ran our errands, with the plan to get tested a week later to ensure we were safe to see her for Christmas Eve. We had big news that we were planning on breaking, but that's been delayed because of the 'Vid.

She's had an awful year: 3 brain tumors, 16 rounds of chemo, being completely trapped in her house, and now this. She deserves so much better, and I feel like we let her down. Who knows if she'll even make it to Christmas next year.

My MiL works retail, and that means that we haven't really seen her since March. She's dangerously depressed and Christmas is like her FAVORITE thing. We were going to set my shop up with a tree and lights, and have her, her partner, and my BiL over to open presents wearing masks and staying physically separated. 2000sqft with the bay doors cracked and game on meant we could have actually spent an hour or two together safely. I was going to cook 2 separate meals, and we could eat in 2 separate rooms. All that planning and anticipation went out the window because we weren't careful enough.

It just sucks.

The kicker: the contract tracers that called my wife said they think ~2% of the population that's out in public has COVID right now. That means that: 1. It's impossible for them to do their jobs, 2. That even wearing a mask and trying to stay socially distant doesn't protect you if you're spending more than a few hours in public places because you'll end up with >15 minutes of cumulative virus exposure, and 3. There's going to be a huge spike in deaths in the next 4 weeks as Christmas infections and people insisting on travelling combine.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

The Door Frame posted:

I say go for it if you really like the Christopher Reeves Superman movies. It's corny as hell and I loved it
It definitely a little overlong, but it feels like superheroes are becoming wholesome again, not gritty movies for adults

See, I disagree. The first fight scene was super corny and I liked it. But they forgot that was their goal about halfway through. The fight with the huntress wasn't corny at all, and was super dark. They did a good job with the invisible plane.

And yeah, Pedro was the best thing. Low bar too trip over, but he at least had some dynamic. Barbara could have been done so much better.

All in all, it was a clumsy and long movie. Glad I didn't pay for it.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

StormDrain posted:

I hope that you realize you don't have to do it ever. I'm also glad about it. I'm a real bah humbug way I told my wife it's just another day on the calendar.

Yup. I feel the same way. Haven't done any NYE stuff in nearly a decade. I usually see my mom earlier in the night, have a nice dinner, and then we go to bed at a normal time. Being middle aged is nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Wrar posted:

I leverage my job a bit since I do have to go onsite sometimes.

"Need to go onsite a few times a month for job. Can't see people. Sorry."

I have the perfect excuse this year: "Sorry, I've got COVID. Like, seriously, still got symptoms"