Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

BraveUlysses posted:

at least its not the TuRD version of it, man that thing is really painful to look at in person

also thanks to the november thread i bought a UDM and its sweet

Forgive me for being computer illiterate, but what's the point of a UDM? I looked up the one meatpimp was talking about and it's says it's for small businesses, and is clearly for a rack system, why would you need something like that for personal use?

Also the TuRD Camry is the best Camry :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Anyone else here play guitar? I mentioned awhile back that I finally got one of my dream guitars, an actual real Gibson Les Paul Jr.....I didn't have an amp yet, and a local musician friend of mine GAVE me his old Peavy tube amp and this thing is ridiculous, with my guitar and this amp cranked up it sounds like impending doom with a spot on Black Sabbath tone to it. Needless to say the cat is not happy about it :v:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Cage posted:

Peavys good. Got an old ultra 120 that I've had since I was 16, so 19 years now. Pretty crazy, its louder than I'd ever need and haven't even plugged in in a long time. Really should sell it I suppose.

Don't sell it, just buy an attenuator for it, that way you can get the tubes nice and hot to get that sweet tone without blasting your eardrums out.

I just ordered this one today https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07YBV87CB/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 it needs an effects loop to work, but if you don't have a loop there are other types of attenuators and variacs you can use to achieve the same thing.

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

I've got a super base model Marshall MG that gets plenty loud for me. Something like their CODE series might be fun to play with but I just don't see myself dropping the cash on that. I've been trying to play more lately as I'm super out of practice. Should have been doing it for the whole quarantine, but oh well. I'm definitely going to try to play more in the coming year.

White Charvel is a Model 4 from I think 1986. Active Jackson pickups, super loud and screamy and I love it. Warlock is from 2001 or so. Stock pickups are kinda lame but I have no idea what I should replace them with.

Sweet Warlock dude, put Seymour Duncans in it :)

[e] That Marshall is my dream amp, that and a Fender Twin Reverb. Do you have an attenuator on it?

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Dec 1, 2020

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Thumposaurus posted:

I've got that same amp!
I found it in a dumpster with a blown speaker. I cut the cabinet down into a head to use with the speaker cab I already had.

I just finished building this mofo:

It's a baritone scale I built the neck from scratch the body was some cheap ebay thing I painted.
I have it tuned BEADF#b.
It does that baritone twang thing and can do doom easily too.

Funny you mention using the amp as a head because from what I've been reading online people are saying it's better used that way with a cab because apparently the speaker in it is crappy.....Might have to look into that if I can find a good cab for cheap but I have no idea on the specs, what kind of speakers it can push and all that.

Love the V, that's another one of my dream guitars, wish I had the disposable income to start a collection :v:

tetrapyloctomy posted:

Yeah, though I generally stick to acoustic nowadays. My favorite is my Leo Kottke 12 String, but I've been playing this one a lot recently:

It was my great uncle's, looks to be a 1935-6 National Duolian based on the stamp. It's rough -- the finish was sanded off of the neck at some point? -- and could use some restoration, but it sounds great and I love playing a guitar that I know my granddad also picked on a bit sometime around the war.

Oh wow, I've never played a steel guitar before that thing is cool as hell I bet it's worth a mint, most old guitars like that are. Keep it in the family tho and pass it down to your kids, guitars are great heirlooms.

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Dec 1, 2020

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

tetrapyloctomy posted:

I sort of wonder if my kid is going to end up a southpaw, in which case he's either going to have to learn to play backwards or restring something.

I think I can spare one for him.

:stare: Holy crap. Reminds me of a friend of mine (another musician) that has a crazy guitar collection to the point he has to sneak any new one he buys past his wife or she gets severely pissed :v:

Thing that sucks about guitars is the good ones Are Not Cheap or I'd probably have 20 by now

everdave posted:

They were called power brakes in my heyday. Orange made a really good one haven’t seen one in years. I am all fender but I keep my Korean LP knock off for when things call for it.

Eddie Van Halen started it by accidentally a plugging in a European Marshall set at 220 into a standard 120 outlet. He noticed it sounded amazing at low volume when the domestic amps had to be blistering loud to get the tone he liked. So he tried a few light dimmer switches on his domestic amp and fried those, then went to a hardware store and asked if they had any heavy duty light dimmer switches......And was introduced to Variacs and the rest is history. The Brown Sound was created at that moment, and nobody could figure out how the hell he did it for years until he finally fessed up. At first he told people he increased the voltage and as a result lots of people fried their amps :v:

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Dec 1, 2020

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

64bit_Dophins posted:

I really want to get a Gibson 335 at some point but they are far from cheap as every guitar person knows lmao. Also the clones/Epiphone 335s are pretty bad in my experience. Nothing compares to the real thing.

Yeah I also have an Epiphone Les Paul and it just sounds flat and compressed compared to the real thing. It's up for sale now.

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

I'll guarantee that this Marshall is not your dream amp. :v: Nothing fancy as it's just a solid state entry-level head.

Oh yeah never mind then, I thought it was one of the classic tube Marshalls. Nothing wrong with solid state amps tho.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

fridge corn posted:

I've got a '78 Ibenez PF200

That is a gorgeous guitar, I love Ibanez, great company that makes great guitars.

Previa_fun posted:

I don't play guitar but I like to hit poo poo with sticks and here are my toys:

The electronic kit I bought this year, it's an entry level Roland but with mesh heads all around. It's nice to be able to play again without annoying the neighbors.

That's awesome. I'm a drummer first and foremost (see Keith Moon avatar) but my house (2 bedroom) is too small to keep a drum set. I had a really nice Slingerland acoustic set for awhile set up in my son's room but it took up half his room and was too loud obviously. Then I had an electric set that had a smaller profile but it still took up quite a bit of room. I was hoping my son would take an interest, but he couldn't care less and it was unfair to him to have it in his room. I was thinking he'd get into it and we could jam and stuff, but he just wasn't into it unfortunately.

That's the one reason I'd like to have a bigger house with a garage, so I could have a proper drum set with a bass and guitar and some amps for jamming. I miss being in a band and just jamming out :(

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

The Door Frame posted:

Pretty much, I still have the telltale lung damage, among other things

That sucks man, sorry to hear that. Is it permanent damage or will it heal? What are the other things?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

BraveUlysses posted:

FINALLY have an interview for an IT job after being unemployed for 4 months, now to spend the next 27 hours internally freaking out about doing my first interview in 14 years

I get it man, I have my disability hearing coming up and I'm freaking out that I'm gonna screw it up for myself because I always tend to downplay my issues like it's not a big deal, and my lawyer is telling me not to do that so I have to consciously complain about poo poo to the judge when I'm not used to doing that

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

The Door Frame posted:

I might not even need to have a scope shoved up my dick, which is a great relief. Seriously, a cytoscope is ~7.5mm thick at the base, a foot and a half long, and gave me phantom pains every time I saw it in the OR. Medical stuff doesn't normally bother me, but that thing scares me

Been there done that unfortunately back when the VA thought I had a bladder infection but it turned out to be Crohn's Disease yay!

Took them a year to figure out that one. But yeah having what feels like a baseball bat shoved up your dick hole is not fun at all, no sir.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

The Door Frame posted:

My mom's got Crohns, so there's a not insignificant chance that I'll develop it too. Maybe I'll bring that up to the urologist and then with her we can focus on these super fun 2.5mm cyst/"calcification as evidence of recent damage to the vascular structure" combo my ultrasound turned up
I'm assuming that checking for Crohns involves a different camera and a different orifice?

Yep, for me it was the penis camera, then an endoscopy and colonoscopy, and eventually a pill camera (yes I swallowed a camera) that finally caught it.

At that point I was happy just to get a loving diagnosis, they started sending me to a psychiatrist towards the end thinking I was being psychosomatic and tried putting me on SSRIs.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

kastein posted:

Part of the homeless problem is that a whole lot of states that don't want to deal with their own homeless problem for one reason or another basically offer homeless people a bus ticket to not-here (instead of housing them in their jail system) and consider the problem solved. Then they cluck disapprovingly about how California is a bunch of lawless leftists and don't deal with their homeless problem and equivocate over how homeless people pooping on the sidewalk is the exact same thing as large corporations dumping industrial waste in rivers and when are you going to do something about those disgusting transients that we totally didn't just dump on you.

I think it has more to do with climate, if I were homeless I sure as hell wouldn't want to be somewhere where I'd freeze or cook to death, Cali probably has the best climate for being homeless in the entire country. I've talked to homeless people here in Florida that traveled down from the north for the same reason, it's getting bad here too.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Rhyno posted:

Chicago has an out of control homeless population, I'm shocked the mayor hasn't been passing out bus tickets.

Well to be fair, if any politician got busted sending homeless people to other cities it would be very very bad for them. I doubt someone would be able to handle those kind of logistics these days without being found out and spread all over the news and social media

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

BraveUlysses posted:

absolutely crushed that interview (first time doing a zoom interview too), fingers crossed i get an offer!

Awesome dude! My lawyer said I did a good job at my hearing today too so I'm pretty optimistic on an approval :)

Anyone remember the debacle I had with my carpet install? Well it turned out after we got the install procedure from the manufacturer that the installer failed at multiple points to install the carpet correctly so the warranty was null and void. Also figured out looking through the paperwork that the installer ordered 10 more feet of carpet than we needed (off a 12 foot wide roll) for some reason so we overpaid too. Home Depot gave us a full refund and we keep the carpet so that's good for now until we figure out what we're gonna do with this drat floor :v:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

When I was single in the 90's I moved around so much I started getting rid of a lot of my poo poo because of it. By the time I moved in with my wife all I had was clothes, a TV and a skateboard :v:

Kinda still regret getting rid of the giant B&W tower speakers and ADCOM setup I got when I was in the military but it was huge and heavy and didn't fit well in studio apartments

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Humphreys posted:

The kind of skateboard will date you and also give you points. I was too young to know how rare a wingboard was but threw mine at someone of merit whose brand I still wear.

I still have it, one of the first long boards ever made before it was even a thing. The trucks on it are the first set of Indy's I ever bought in the 80's.

I have a lot of skateboards, it's a sickness :v:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Asics were the best shoes for me when I was doing security and walking around all night long.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

You guys with giant feet need to shop at outlet stores like Ross then because that's all they seem to have is oddball sizes for decent shoes.

They hardly ever have good shoes in common sizes because those get picked clean immediately.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Tomarse posted:

What you need to do is find some branded footwear that fit you well and are comfortable and then just repeat buy the same type & size online.

This is actually what i do with my Dickies shorts and pants

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

LobsterboyX posted:

yes, I actually made a really quick render of what I wanted it to look like:

and this is what I got:

I mean... not horrible....so the price went from 300 to 180 in quite a hurry. I'm considering taking my car back to them for door panels, but I might make a rendering of what I want just the opposite.

Is the guy that made it dyslexic? :v:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

That's what happens when you fools wear boxers, keep that poo poo high and tight

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

cakesmith handyman posted:

Guys, please share any good news like this, if its important to you share it.

I got good news yesterday that my social security disability was approved.

I thought I'd be way happier about it, but it just kind of solidified that I'm officially disabled now :smith:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

meatpimp posted:

Honestly, though, we've know you as disabled for years. :unsmith:

Ha! Touche!

jerk :v:

big dong wanter posted:

Welcome to the officially disabled gang buddy. Heres a tip to feel better:focus on what little good poo poo you get out of it or your brain will implode

Yeah I agree and I get that, I was being a little facetious there. It was just a bit of realization when my wife told me the news and I was just kind of like "yeah ok cool" and she expected me to be jumping for joy or something, "yay I'm on disability!" is not something that gets me excited :v:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I haven't checked my credit score since I filed for bankruptcy in the early 90's :shrug:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

mrtrunks84 posted:

Random question out to the group. I currently have a 2016 Golf R and my last car was a 2004 GTI. I'm really looking for a new experience and want to get into the sport sedan market (two kiddos). I have recently fallen smitten by a couple cars and want to see if anyone had any opinions I can quickly ignore.

08-10 Lexus IS F - V8, reliable, should hold value; most exciting

Alfa Romeo Giulia - Supposedly one of the best driving sedans right now, non-reliable?; turbo 4 (eh); cheapest option used.

Genesis G70 - For the price maybe get into a 3.3T; not to excited with interior

B8.5/B9 S4 - Great interior; good motor; AWD; priciest option (Wife has a B9 a4 allroad which is pretty great)

What say you AI?

Look into the Lexus GS, much better car overall than the IS imo. But out of those four the IS, it's going to be the most reliable.

Also if you want to ask more questions about what car to buy there's a thread in ask/tell for that

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

mrtrunks84 posted:

Yes true, but for the price it's a E92 or a high mileage F80 and the IS would give me less headache out of warranty.

A GS F would be the best option I think but then you're jumping up almost 20k plus in price.

Out of warranty are the key words. You're better off with a Lexus for initial price and price of upkeep. LS460 owner here and the car has been a dream.

I was suggesting a regular GS over an ISF, you really should drive one, even tho it has "just" a V6 that V6 is amazing but if you can afford a GSF loving do it.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Anyone else see the trailer for the movie Nobody?

It's John Wick meets Saul Goodman :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZti8QKBWPo

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Rhyno posted:

It looks fuckin amazing. Odenkirk trained for TWO YEARS for this.

Yeah saw the interview with him that's nuts. From a comedy guy to action hero, it looks like a winner tho.

Also saw the trailer for the new Marvel movie Loki, I love that character and can't wait to see it I had no idea they were doing a movie for him.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Nobody looks horribly derivative to me

Yes but will it entertain you?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

You're in luck because it's a series and not movie.

I just realized that after watching the trailer again lol.

Guess I'm gonna have to get the Disney channel now

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

nm posted:

They absolutely can arrest people for trespassing.

Can they make an arrest the first time? In Florida you have to have a person trespassed first, like officially by police (it's a process), and then they will only get arrested if they come back and the police see them with their own eyes back on the property. It doesn't matter if they came and left and a hundred people saw it, the cops have to see it or it didn't happen.

When I was doing security it was a pain in my rear end because trespassing was probably my biggest problem other than drunk idiots.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Yeah, if the property owner wants to "crack some skulls" let him do it on his own and don't get involved. It's situations like that that turn out way worse than you thought it would, and next thing you know you're in jail for having a hand in someone getting seriously hurt or killed. Not worth it in the slightest.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Michelin Primacy, dunno if you can find them in 15" tho

Basically any Michelin touring tire you can find in that size

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

just lol if you didnt immediately hang up if the girls mom or dad answered the phone

But if you hung up you're not getting laid :v:

Kids these days don't know how easy they have it, back then you had to go through mom and dad first.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Air fryers are going to generally suck for burgers, you're better off with a smokeless grill or an induction plate with a cast iron pan.

But yeah if it's all you got I'd probably try it too :v:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

the spyder posted:

Anyone else noticing terrible shipping delays? I've got goods coming from all over right now, half with no shipping notice or half with "2-3 week lead times". Even amazon appears to be a week out on most stuff.

Yep, my recent nespresso coffee order that usually takes a day or two took two weeks this time. poo poo's hosed, I'm holding off on other orders that I don't really need any time soon but I need my loving coffee :v:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

STR posted:

You have Publix out there, right? Looks like they carry a good selection of Nespresso pods to get you by for now. There's always reusable pods too, though you have to know if you have the original or Vertuo line.

My store only carries two shelves of Nespresso pods. :sad: K-Cups for days of everything you can think of, but K-Cups aren't easily recyclable.. and I'm told the Nespresso machines make a better cup of coffee anyway.

Yeah Publix has the "aftermarket" pods, but I've never had a problem getting Nespresso pods until now. Next time I'll get some as a back up.

Also you can't really compare K cups (regular coffee) to Nespresso (espresso), if you want espresso regular coffee just doesn't cut it but I drink all kinds of coffee. Cold brew is awesome as well.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

fridge corn posted:

They dont run very well even when set up properly!

Testarossas run that? Ugh geez....Is that why the 512 is better?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

fridge corn posted:

Yeah the 512 TR is efi and it's like a completely different car

Cool, I know which one to get now if I win the lottery :v:

I remember you telling me about the 512 and I had no idea it existed, god I love those cars :swoon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

meatpimp posted:

I did feel dirty for supporting Mr beast, though.

That dude wastes more money than anyone I have ever seen. I hope he at least donates to some charities besides just destroying perfectly good houses with elephant toothpaste