Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CocoaNuts
Jun 12, 2020
Say you're an NFL general manager and the draft is not going to save your rear end this year. You've lost your star QB and you only have the following pivots to choose from as free agents. You will sign one of them to a one-year deal. Which one will it be?

Mitch Trubisky

Sam Darnold

Dwayne Haskins

Tyrod Taylor

Daniel Jones

Jameis Winston

Ryan Fitzpatrick

That's it. Hitch your wagon!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Tyrod absolutely.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

FizFashizzle posted:

Tyrod absolutely.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Depends on the team I have. If it's an aging team in a SB window, then my list is probably

Tyrod, Fitzpatrick.... Jones, in that I care about the floor more then the ceiling, and am just praying I got a '02 Buccs / '00 Ravens / '15 Broncos situation on my hands.

Any other situation I'm probably going for, based purely on maybe you get a franchise QB for free:

Darnold
Daniel Jones
... then after that, I don't care, I don't think any of them are potentially salvageable.

I think Darnold's the most interesting of them, in that he's got the most Steve Young type look. Utterly ruined on an awful team, maybe you can save him, sit him for a few years and unfuck him and get a good QB.

Jones I see less in, but at least he's shown *something*. Maybe surround him with a better oline and a decent playcaller and he can turn into something.

Trubisky & Haskins, when their own teams throw them away, you know it's unsalvageable.

Tyrod and Fitz are just high quality backups. Maybe you can ride a good half season out of them, but unless you're praying for a SB run, you're probably better off just crashing, then getting the 6-7 wins they'll probably take you to.

Jameis - Basically the worst of all 4 of the above guys. Passed over for a WR by his own team, a history of boneheaded play, a shitstain of a person, and can't read a field.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Tom Brady

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
I would prob go Haskins or Jones. Jones if I had a decent line and Haskins if I didn't. Winston would be my pick hands down on purely on the field behavior, but no rapists.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Joe Flacco

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
If I'm a superbowl window team I get &e. Unironically.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

He is getting like $25m guaranteed in 2021 from the Bucs IIRC

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

CocoaNuts posted:

Say you're an NFL general manager and the draft is not going to save your rear end this year. You've lost your star QB and you only have the following pivots to choose from as free agents. You will sign one of them to a one-year deal. Which one will it be?

Mitch Trubisky

Sam Darnold

Dwayne Haskins

Tyrod Taylor

Daniel Jones

Jameis Winston

Ryan Fitzpatrick

That's it. Hitch your wagon!

i'll take any of those guys over mitch or foles

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
Joey Harrington <3

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

jameis

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

Dead? That's what they want you to think.
Fitzpatrick is the no-brainer answer and the NFL has already decided it because he's been on like 30 teams for this mission.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

fitz on the bears would win the NFC North

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Kalli posted:

Depends on the team I have. If it's an aging team in a SB window, then my list is probably

Tyrod, Fitzpatrick.... Jones, in that I care about the floor more then the ceiling, and am just praying I got a '02 Buccs / '00 Ravens / '15 Broncos situation on my hands.

Any other situation I'm probably going for, based purely on maybe you get a franchise QB for free:

Darnold
Daniel Jones
... then after that, I don't care, I don't think any of them are potentially salvageable.

I think Darnold's the most interesting of them, in that he's got the most Steve Young type look. Utterly ruined on an awful team, maybe you can save him, sit him for a few years and unfuck him and get a good QB.

Jones I see less in, but at least he's shown *something*. Maybe surround him with a better oline and a decent playcaller and he can turn into something.

Trubisky & Haskins, when their own teams throw them away, you know it's unsalvageable.

Tyrod and Fitz are just high quality backups. Maybe you can ride a good half season out of them, but unless you're praying for a SB run, you're probably better off just crashing, then getting the 6-7 wins they'll probably take you to.

Jameis - Basically the worst of all 4 of the above guys. Passed over for a WR by his own team, a history of boneheaded play, a shitstain of a person, and can't read a field.

100% agreed on this. Tyrod or Fitz are good enough to not drag a team down and the teams success comes down to how good the defense plays.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
Jeff Hostetler

CocoaNuts
Jun 12, 2020
I guess I should have included Carson Wentz in the mix.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont

CocoaNuts posted:

I guess I should have included Carson Wentz in the mix.

that's okay nobody would take him anyway

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

20 Blunts posted:

Joey Harrington <3

It's not the question being asked here but this reminds me that Dan Orlovsky was far and away the best QB on the 2008 Lions, even if he had the most well-known fuckup of that cursed season.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.
Mariota

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Definitely Ryan Fitzpatrick. He's established that he's a top..25 quarterback in the NFL and that's pretty drat valuable. You won't win the Super Bowl but you can certainly make the playoffs with him.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
For a year? Fitzpatrick, definitely.

(Note: When my own team tried this, it went... poorly. But that's still the exception.)

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Brandon Allen

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
Fitz if you gotta win now

poo poo, I'd take Fitz over Cam right now lol

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

Dead? That's what they want you to think.

Kirios posted:

Definitely Ryan Fitzpatrick. He's established that he's a top..25 quarterback in the NFL and that's pretty drat valuable. You won't win the Super Bowl but you can certainly make the playoffs with him.

I have some unfortunate news for you regarding Fitz's playoff appearances.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

Where do people get the idea that Fitzpatrick is some stabilizing veteran presence? The answer is Jameis and its not even close.

Simplex fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Dec 1, 2020

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014
Give me Jameis or give me death.

LargeHadron
May 19, 2009

They say, "you mean it's just sounds?" thinking that for something to just be a sound is to be useless, whereas I love sounds just as they are, and I have no need for them to be anything more than what they are.

R.D. Mangles posted:

fitz on the bears would win the NFC North

It's the weirdest thing - I could've bet money that I saw Fitzpatrick throwing for the Bears maybe three years ago when I was watching a game at the gym. I made a mental note of the beard, and then thought to myself "oh that's the guy from the Bears" the next time I saw the beard throwing for the Bucs. But nope...I completely invented this memory, apparently.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Jameis

Fitzpatrick gets hot and cold but is generally overrated right now

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Simplex posted:

Where do people get the idea that Fitzpatrick is some stabilizing veteran presence? The answer is Jameis and its not even close.

History. Evidence. Fact.

Fitz will turn the ball over a ton but if you’re discussing bringing Jameis Winston onto your football team you’ve already conceded 1-2 INTs a game.

Out of that whole list I go Darnold. I can fix him.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
Darnold needs a year or two on the bench in a stable situation before he can play again

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Free Joe Webb

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

Since we already did, Jameis.

EmbryoSteve
Dec 18, 2004

Taste~The~Rainbow

My blood sugar is gon' be like

~^^^^*WHOA*^^^^~

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

Fitzpatrick is the no-brainer answer and the NFL has already decided it because he's been on like 30 teams for this mission.

Agreed. NFL teams in this situation pick fitzmagic and so would i

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

THIS WHAGON HAS NO BREAKS! I HAVE THE HEART OF THE BUUFALO the strength OF THE MOUNTAIN, THE FURY OF THE THUNDER AND MY WILL IS UNBREAKABLE! I will not surrender to KNOW ONE
Tyrod if the team has a good run game but no good receivers.

Fitzpatrick if you have no run game but good receivers.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

Simplex posted:

Fitz is such an enigma to me. He either plays like one the best quarterbacks in the league or a deer in headlights.

E: I guess having good receivers has a lot to do with the former

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Kirios posted:

I’d say he’s even better than that, borderline top 12.

His stats look much worse in terms of ints than they should because he’s one of the QBs who actually takes the appropriate risks to try to win a game once behind. Trying to rescue a game is most of his ints.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Fitzpatrick owns.

IMO, the list is Tyrod, Fitz, Jameis, and then a huge loving dropoff to the rest because those are the only three NFL caliber quarterbacks on the list.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Mr. Nice! posted:

Fitzpatrick owns.

IMO, the list is Tyrod, Fitz, Jameis, and then a huge loving dropoff to the rest because those are the only three NFL caliber quarterbacks on the list.

Yeah this to me is the right answer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Yeah say what you will about Jameis, but as long as he doesn't (further) self-destruct off the field, he'll be in demand at least as a backup or placeholder starter for another ten years.