Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Now is the season of our discontent and there is no son of York to make it glorious summer.

Unless someone arms Prince Harry I guess?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

ThomasPaine posted:

Please tell me how to do this.

My personal favourite is when someone decides to fully recline the seat in the middle of the meal service, jolting half the contents of my tray into my lap. And then I have to recline a touch to give myself any room to actually eat, pissing off the person behind. There surely has to be a way of laying out a cabin that makes it way more comfortable without sacrificing too much occupancy. Airlines barely make anything on economy class anyway.

I've been tempted to bite the bullet and fly business class a few times when I've been on a long haul flight and seen last minute deals at the airport to upgrade for a couple hundred extra quid, but I know I'd end up feeling totally burnt the second I got off the plane. The idea of having plenty of space and actually nice food and good free booze on demand rather than being packed in like a sardine for 12 hours sounds just incredible.

If I was rich I would absolutely use it on business class, but at over 6' tall economy class becomes a special kind of hell.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Jose posted:

I've watched a couple of films for the first time twice as a result of watching them shitfaced on planes. Alas it was the guy ritchie king Arthur film and one of the newer star wars films

Planes are the place to watch shite films. Not like you're in a state of mind to analyze something good, or likely to be able to pay proper attention anyway with all the noise and people needing the loo and drinks and food being served and all. Either watch some shite or watch something good but action. I watched Fury Road three times in a row on one flight it loving ruled lmao

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I've already decided I'm going to give parasailing, possibly powered, a go in the summer because parachuting appeals but I know there's no loving way I'd ever be able to jump out of an airplane.

Simply go with a friend who is enough of a bastard to absolutely shove you out of the side door of a plane

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Beefeater1980 posted:

Wrap it up guys the energy economy is over:

Games Workshop now as valuable as Centrica

finally we know how the UK will survive and prosper from Brexit: through the cunning brutality and brutal cunning of Mork and Gork

e; In 1916 the British government concluded an agreement with Sharif of Mecca Hussein bin Ali whereby he would launch the Great Arab Revolt and, in return, the British would recognize a unified Arab state that emerged, one proposed to extend from Aleppo to Yemen. This agreement was definitely not made with no intention of being honored, and after the war's conclusion the Middle East was definitely not divided up according to the Sykes-Picot Agreement with France instead.

Ms Adequate fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Dec 3, 2020

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

I don't think it's remarkable if the Tories are losing the Red Wall again, wasn't the thinking always that concerns of Brexit were a huge factor, and with that done and dusted one way or the other, most of those seats should be back in play (All else being equal)?

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

lmao millwall

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

all i know is if you're called a firm you better be a for-profit business :colbert:

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

OwlFancier posted:

It's probably just a derivative style of folk music but neo nazis are into weird stuff.

I think synthwave had a bit of a nazi infestation too but some of it is also quite gay which is nice.

They tried to take over synthwave but got absolutely denied lol, some fash dropped like two tracks and everyone told them to gently caress off

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

It is an interesting constitutional question about what happens if a part of an existing country wants to join the US and how that would work. I uh, I don't think Scotland would be super eager for that path though.

I mean I assume it's just as any other part wanting to become a state really, and it's actually more a political than constitutional question, but you know.

Ms Adequate fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Dec 6, 2020

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Glad to have the gene that protects me against sprouts. Weird that sprouts-lovers don't seem to take issue with their own genetic protections against other poisons, but are proud to be vulnerable to sprouts :thunk:

Broccoli is great tho imo

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Private Speech posted:

It's not (at least not how he does, though it's not Jo either). Basically every country have their own pronunciation of Latin, the UK one being one of the relatively weirder ones. The catholic church have their own too, called ecclesiastical Latin.

There is actually a reconstructed classical pronunciation of latin, but it's more of a mix of German and Italian than anything else (famously with Caesar being pronounced as Kaisar).

That was actually developed by noted goon rope kid :pseudo:

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Comrade Fakename posted:

I’m not sure I’ve done a single bit of work for the cops. AFAIK, that’s all side content, if you don’t want to do it don’t do it. It doesn’t clash with the principles of the game, anyway. You’re not playing a revolutionary, you’re a working guy in a world that everyone accepts and hates. It’s a dystopia in every way, it’s ultra-hyper capitalism gone amuck, and also neoliberalism where people simply can’t imagine a different world to the point where a news anchor literally has to explain the concept of a trade union to the audience (as terrorism, of course). They work with the cops because why wouldn’t they? They can’t imagine any different than a system where armed mercenaries are paid job-by-job to shoot up crack dens.

The entire theme of the game is how terrible capitalism is, but also that we can still find meaning and connection in human relationships. Almost everything in this game is there to reinforce this theme. This is why I’ve been so frustrated at critics saying stuff like “I love these touching moments with characters, but then it’s undermined by the crass advertising” that I’ve been literally shouting “THAT’S THE loving POINT” at podcasts.

As for bugs, I don’t want to be “that guy” but I’ve been playing on Series X and while there have been more weird bugs than I’d like, it’s generally stable and certainly playable. The combat is fine, hardly best in class, but enjoyable, and a drat sight better than something like Fallout. I’ve got some issues with some smaller stuff like XP balancing, but I’m certainly having a good time. If you’ve got a next-gen console or a decent PC I definitely recommend it. It might be the best realised world in all videogames, and it’s vying with FF7R for my game of the year. We’ll see what I think when I finish it (It’ll be a while).

Ehhhh kinda, like yeah some of it is very much deliberately "This has become so normalized that everyone accepts it unthinkingly" (The ads are a perfect example, they've clearly just kept on advancing until "Literally Experience Eating rear end" is perfectly acceptable to advertise omnipresently) and you're meant to be just another dipshit in the machine, but as an open world game there feels like there's a disharmony between narrative and gameplay expectations. Like, maybe it shouldn't be possible to succeed in effecting long-term or real change, but you should definitely be able to go and try do things that make a material dent in the corps or whatever. We're playing it to live out our awesome future cybernetic fantasies, so being railroaded into "Actually things are poo poo and only ever getting worse, you cannot even *attempt* to change this" is just... not that fun?

Especially given, you know, the whole Johnny Silverhand thing. If there was ever an opportunity for the setting to tell a story about trying to change things (However that ended up) it was here. They tried to hype it up as "How do you keep yourself centered, how do you even know which thoughts are yours and which are Johnny's?", but they largely bungled that because A) Your 'disagreements' are mostly you two sniping at each other, and B) It would have been far more interesting if there was an actual tension between what should be done and how to do it, e.g. you might come to agree with Johnny about things needing to change, but you can try to build a community to do it rather than taking his route, or something.

Ending spoilers: It also doesn't help that if you take a particular course, they completely stick to their word and if anything exceed it, spending what must be incredible sums of money to give you MONTHS of medical treatment in an orbital facility, and then offer you something that is seen during the game as perhaps the most elite thing available to the world's wealthiest, bypassing any cost or wait times. Like, that goes well beyond "Fine this person did something that benefits us, cut them a check and tell them to gently caress off."

The thing is that it doesn't feel like a statement on things being hopeless/finding meaning despite the state of the world/etc., what it feels like is they themselves lacked vision as much as the inhabitants of Night City. I made a big post in Games about it regarding my thoughts and ultimately my question was "Why use this setting?" - there's nothing said here that hasn't been said in a Grand Theft Auto or even Saint's Row.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

crispix posted:

why not just go out and gulder at them and threaten to do their windas if they don't gently caress up

love/hate that i understood every word

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

OwlFancier posted:

If you really want antisocial gardening than pampas grass is a good one, it's a big horrible mess that also has serrated leaves that gently caress you up if you brush past them. Also highly invasive and gets these massive stalks that I assume spray seeds within several miles.

For some unfathomable reason my grandma had a huge pampas plant in the middle of our front garden for most of my childhood. It was a huge misplaced monster that would razor you up good, and we had to either let it grow like something from a horror movie or pay some poor underprepared gardener to come and deal with it.

Eventually my dad just said "gently caress it" and chopped the thing to shreds then uprooted the stump, so I guess he had some positive attributes as well.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

OwlFancier posted:

I was looking for an excuse to post that in here because I saw it and thought of Ms A so thank you for saving me the bother :v:

So pleased to have a reputation

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

OwlFancier posted:

I gather that's about it, yeah.

Also feels thematic that I started playing Cataclysm DDA again, driving around in a car covered in spikes looting shops for lard and biscuits feels appropriate.

Should mod in a Gammon mutation line

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Guavanaut posted:

Antipodeanism in the Labor Party.

At least it's better than Antiposadism in the Labour Party.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Gonzo McFee posted:

Writing about how there's a right wing purity problem in the loving Spectator by Christ.

Absolute scenes when the Spectator is panicking the gently caress out about the incredible hell we've brought upon ourselves lmao

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

lmao the number of replies saying basically "I grafted hard for Labour in 2017 and 2019 and the Labour right sabotaged us, why on earth would I graft for them?"

good job to the Labour right :bravo:

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

The best way to play DE is as an absolutely fanatical believer in an imminent apocalypse.

Also lol Blair, I wasn't aware that vaccine distribution was so hosed we needed the political Messiah back to handle it but thank Catholic God for him.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Apraxin posted:

:psyduck: we need to leave the EU because it likes peace, but then rejoin it when it's become the EF with a foreign policy of enthusiastic participation in America's wars

I mean, if the fact that we could follow the US gleefully and zealously into Gulf War II despite being in the EU doesn't convince him that we can be as bloodthirsty as we wish without consequence, I don't know what would. And the fact that EU countries other than us have been involved in all America's wars for decades, and almost all of the EU was aboard GW I and the Afghanistan invasion?

Also lmao does he not know what a federation is or is it literally "I love Europe and I want a Federal States of Europe but the idea of some Bundeskanzler saying "Maybe we should make sure there's real evidence before we bomb that country flat for the fourth time?" makes my blood boil"?

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Red Oktober posted:

I think this is passing - massive majority means you have to be SUPER sure your vote against is counting and as this is Johnson’s ‘massive victory’ any Tory MP who votes against can assume they’re hosed for the foreseeable.

On the other hand, Funny Timeline.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Hbomber enunciating the 't' in "Christmas" is driving me completely around the bend

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Establishing a CIRA (Crisps IRA) to fight for the reunification of Taytos

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Remainers: "Brexit could gently caress British businesses really hard. It has at least the potential to be an economic catastrophe."

Leavers: "Project Fear, innit? Brexiting would give us access to the whole world's markets!"

Spongebob Narrator: "Four years later."

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

There are referenda where we gently caress around, and transition deadlines where we find out

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

"It's one Brexit Michael, what could it cost, ten jobs?"

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

*In extremely Guardian voice* Did the problems from Brexit stem from the radical trans lobby? writes JK Burchill

Those who are blissfully uninformed about the state of trans "discourse" on Twitter and the tidal wave of hatred received by anyone who questions the trans orthodoxy might be surprised at this idea, but consider that it was a transition period. Had we instead opted for a cissition period, there is little question that leaving the EU would have been much less painful, and perhaps we may even have been able to stop Jeremy Corbyn from doing Brexit in the first place.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Tarnop posted:

Delete the related videos from your history

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Sounds like bunkum. The queen is all about having no opinion and I can't imagine her allowing blair to force her into secretly having one about him.

The queen is all about having no public opinion - it's an open secret that behind the scenes she has Strong ones and is entirely willing to tell people what those are. It's just that she has enough of a head on her shoulders to want to keep her head on her shoulders, so she makes drat sure that said opinions stay very strictly private, and in public is mostly about opening wazzock factories or whatever it is the royals do.