Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Going back to dentist chat, I reckon there's going to be some sort of 'Tooth-apocalypse' that can be tied back to this year; I can't be the only person who's not booking a checkup unless there's actual problems, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

That big tvs are low class. Yeah, I'm a tv snob.

My parents weren't TV-size snobs, but TV-height snobs - the lower it was, the better.

I missed a lot of formative TV just by virtue of having lived in India (all the kids used to go to the local restaurant on Saturday morning to watch Spiderman, and that was it), and then not being very interested in it when we came to the UK

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

What, like, on the floor?

That can't be great for the ol' neck

Ours more or less was, but that's because we lived in a house boat, and rather than try to get a sofa in the place, they (the parents) basically built the living room to have a low seating area on one side* that had big bean bags on it, but I think my mum's ire was mostly aimed at TVs that were higher than a lowish-TV stand. (actually, those TVs mounted on the wall above fireplaces and things can't be good for the neck either?)

*For the first year after we moved in, IIRC we used the back seat from our 2cv as a sofa. This of course meant that I was just rattling around loose in the back of the car when we went on trips. Ah, the late eighties/early 90s.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Jippa posted:

I thought I was getting more sophisticated as I got older because I watched more stuff with subtitles. In reality it's because of bigger hd screens.

I preffer subtitles even on english language things; I just find it easier to follow if I can read the words

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

feedmegin posted:

Our HR have been increasingly panickingly telling us all TAKE SOME LEAVE because they're worried the entire company will basically take a month off simultaneously at the end of the financial year and that doesn't work very well apparently :sun:

Our Leave year runs to July (probably to discourage everyone booking panic leave at the end of the financial year) and they let us carry over 10 days instead of the usual 5 last year. Also, being a finance place everyone has to take a two week block at some point in the year.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Was the 'Last chance to request an extension is July' thing a self-inflicted deadline, or from the EU? If the former, wouldn't another option be we ask for another extension? (I mean, it's a terribly hopeful option, so it won't happen even if possible, but...)

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

I don't think we have a reward scheme - occasionally you get amazon vouchers. I got £25 (and about a weeks' worth of overtime for saving our exchange server last year).

This year for Christmas IT voted that we each get to expense £15 for a personal Christmas meal, and £5 will go to charity (there'll be a raffle and the winner will decide the charity. If it's me I'm going split it between The Frog Life trust and a local charity teaching farm/food bank)

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

I recently got myself a Brother colour laser (A L3230 wireless) and its been great.

Inkjets are fine for little but often printing (or they need to do a cleaning cycle each time you switch them on), but if you're a high volume or sporadic printer laser is better.

Other benefit that Inkjets have are for photoprinting, especially if you go really highend and get one with 6 colour cartridges (they might do ones with more now?)

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Failed Imagineer posted:

UK politics is operating at a very high level of discourse

https://twitter.com/TechnicallyRon/status/1339162685938667520?s=19

That's far more detail than anyone wanted about the sex life of Currie and Major.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Lord Ludikrous posted:

I had to drive to Ashford last Saturday for my cars MOT while the Op Brock testing was active. Going down the single counterflow lane at 50 wasn’t bad, but you would only need one breakdown or crash and the whole thing comes to a grinding halt.

What was funny was seeing the people who obviously didn’t see all the massive signs telling them where to go and were stuck with all the continental freight traffic crawling at 30 on the southbound carriageway.

Last year the signage was so poor/lane layout so confusing that there was an accident almost every day.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

stev posted:

https://twitter.com/christopherhope/status/1340595985597288448?s=19

Shut the gently caress up Sunak you patronising billionaire oval office.

Or what, they'll take our money away? gently caress off, Sunak.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

The only issue really is that my flat is tiny and there are just two windows - one in the living room, one in the bedroom, and I'm thinking about litter tray smells! There's no door direct to the outside so no chance of a cat flap.

You really need to keep on top of the litter, but it's okay if you do. Also, I know they're expensive, but you can get windows with cat flaps fitted if you're ground floor.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

That would be against the lease for sure. All the outside is 'conforming'. In my London flat, I overlooked the back garden and had a small lower window specially fitted in the kitchen so they could get in and out, then I had the cat flap in the door between my kitchen and living room. My flat lacks doors except to bathroom and bedroom (I didn't notice til after I moved in!) And the positioning is very awkward for putting other doors in. I've hung curtains temporarily between kitchen / living and hall / living. There were other more important things to sort first.

It'll get used to asking you to let them in and out in that case.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

re: savings, I'm still pondering becoming massively Bad With Money in the new year and getting a horse.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Z the IVth posted:

Consider how many meatballs it can be turned into or if you can get a warhorse to hunt angry gammons in the post-Brexitpocalyse wasteland.

I don't think we'll get to a situation where we'll be considering eating animals we know*, but I also fear that I might be being hopelessly optimistic there :(

* I've eaten horse bought from a supermarket in France, but things would have to get bad before dear old dobbin would be on my menu.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

feedmegin posted:

I have literally never seen anyone give a poo poo about those, even in the first lockdown, tbqh.

They stressed me out so much.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I can't remember where you are, but open invitation to any goons in east or central London - if you need stuff picked up from the shops (and can cope with a goon visit) I'm bored out of my mind here.

Actually, know what? Same for Kent goons. 30 mile radius of Sheerness (not including the bits of essex which are technically within that radius* )

* gently caress off google; yes, you're right, that branch of $shop is techinically closer to the one in Maidstone, but I don't have a boat, and am not a bird

Angrymog fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Dec 22, 2020

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

:perfect:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Guavanaut posted:

Don't want the hassle of border crossings?

Exactly.