Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"

Image is of someone walking their dog past some fields while a bird flies overhead and I think a robin watches? Giving this one to AJ_Impy again, but no more "in the background" guesses from now on. Current score: 3-1.
"Wake with an odd premonition of where you should go to investigate the potential intruder, and a desire to feed a bird some crumbs...But before you go, put on some real coffee" action chosen.

You're startled awake by the sound of a bird pecking at the window. Is it a robin, or a sparrow? You don't know the difference. Still, something about the bird looks very familiar. You go to a kitchen cupboard and grab two small chocolate-chip cookies. You put one in your mouth and start chewing, while you head back over to the window, open it just a little, and break the second cookie into crumbs for your new friend. It tweets a few happy notes of appreciation, then starts pecking at the crumbs.

You close the window and clap your hands together. Right. If you're gonna get through this, you need good caffeine. Back into the kitchen, you make yourself a minty mocha with the practised ease of someone who's done this task a thousand times - although you do stop and double check that it's not decaf this time. You pour in the frothy milk, give your travel mug a good long stir and a tentative swig. Mmmmmm, you think to yourself. Coffee good.

You leave the kitchen, travel mug of coffee in your hand, the vegetable chilli still bubbling happily away. Through no concious decision of your own, your feet seem to be taking you south, towards the sleigh.

3 hours, twenty minutes remain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

malbogio
Jan 19, 2015

A wrapped present.
Infiltrate the fake trees.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
A horse

Go to the stables to get Rudelf to start hooking all the reindeer up

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum
A horse Ice Skater

Just follow your instincts, man.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Snow

There will also be a bird, but being in the background, no dice.

Continue to be strangely but accurately guided.

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer
A Cat
Check for any last-minute christmas wishes.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"

Image is of another bird. Sorry, AJ, but I feel snow is too broad a guess, and this bird is clearly not in the background. Current score: 3-2.
Randomly selecting action: 1d5 1 Malbogio's Infiltrate the fake trees action chosen.

Your shoes squeak on the linoleum as you abruptly change direction to leave the building by one of the side doors. You walk outside, the snow crunching underfoot as you make your way to one of the anti-air missile turrets. Six barrels, controlled from the workshop computer, and forty-eight missiles (currently inert) ready to remove any trace of something airborne poking their nose where they shouldn't. Secrets must be kept.

Everything sems to be in working order, though now that you think about it you can't remember the last time these turrets were actually test-fired. You look up to see your new bird-friend following you, taking shelter from the light breeze in one of the turret's barrels. It tweets the same few happy notes from earlier. You take another swig of your coffee. Everything seems peaceful, just another weeks-long North Pole night.

Three hours, ten minutes remain.

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum
A snowy, pastoral scene A deer

Spike the eggnog

malbogio
Jan 19, 2015

A vehicle.
Check on the sleigh.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

Robin in foreground

Lay out The Big Guy's Suit for him

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Yet another bird.

Complete all pre-big-guy tasks.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.
A tree
Fire all the missiles

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Any scientist with the right background can brew his own booze.

What do you mean electrolytes aren't used for brewing booze? That's silly!

Well when all you have are chunks of TNE and an overly large water ration, all the world looks like a still!
Grimey Drawer
A sled

Enjoy your cooling coffee
With some sticky toffee
Spot some tracks that should not be
Follow them, uneasily

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"

Image is of a decorated tree. Dog Kisser guesses correctly! Current score: 4-2.
Fire all the missiles action chosen.

There's a small control panel attached to the turret, allowing for manual control in an emergency. You power it up and take aim at the empty sky to the south of the Workshop Complex. Your bird friend flutters out of their perch in one of the barrels as it whirr-clunks into its new position. The screen asks for a security password. You think back to the mindless days of cybersecurity training you all had to sit through this April, then type in password2.

The big button at the bottom of the control panel lights up. A grin speads across your face.

Fire.

F-F-F-F-F-FWOOOOSH! Six anti-air missiles streak into the winter sky with a thunderous roar. They fly upwards for ten seconds then, finding nothing to target, explode (relatively) harmlessly, scattering shrapnel over the surrounding forest to the south. The control panel flashes up a message: [SEVEN SALVOS LEFT].

F-F-F-F-F-FWOOOOSH! The bird, from the safety of a nearby tree, twitches their head at the bright lights.

F-F-F-F-F-FWOOOOSH! The light glints off the workshop windows.

F-F-F-F-F-FWOOOOSH! It hasn't been this bright since October.

F-F-F-F-F-FWOOOOSH! The only noise in the world is this machine, and the explosions it makes.

F-F-F-F-F-FWOOOOSH! You can't recall the last time you saw such beauty.

F-F-F-F-F-FWOOOOSH! The status of the proximity alert remains unknown.

You take another swig of your minty mocha coffee. The panel reads [ONE SALVOS LEFT]. "Stupid machine", you mutter.

F-F-F-F-F-FWOOOOSH!

The peace of this North Pole night is definitely shattered. Besides the ringing in your ears, you think you hear the sound of a phone ringing from somewhere in the Complex.

Three hours remain.

Jvie
Aug 10, 2012

a squirrel

Answer phone, explain triumphantly that you just shot down the martian invasion fleet and saved christmas.

malbogio
Jan 19, 2015

A vehicle.
Check on the sleigh.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

A blue bird

Go tell Rudelf to scramble the defense reindeer

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum
A deer

Answer the phone and let the person on the other end speak for as long as they want. You don't have to listen if you don't want to.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
A black bird. Answer the phone.

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer
A Cat
Boot up the new experimental Commerce Logistical Analysis Utility System to deal with Christmas stuff whilst you get to the bottom of this mystery invader business.

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Any scientist with the right background can brew his own booze.

What do you mean electrolytes aren't used for brewing booze? That's silly!

Well when all you have are chunks of TNE and an overly large water ration, all the world looks like a still!
Grimey Drawer
A sled

Answer the phone, presuming it's someone about to inquire about the explosions going off, and immediately begin blaming the antiquated gear for automatically firing after a targeting error. Go on to mention the defense systems were getting past their best-by date anyway - for Kringle's sake, it was Arctic War-era stuff! - so perhaps finally the Big Man will realize he has to upgrade to the newest line of JOLLYN8Rs.

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

A Lake
-Go check the sleigh, see if it could use some last minute touch ups.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"

Image is of a person riding a horse, that traditional Christmassy image! No correct guesses. Current score: 4-3.
Randomly selecting action: 1d8 7 Scribbleykins's Answer the phone, blaming aniquated gear action chosen.

You rush back inside, to the office, where the phone is still ringing. You pick up the receiver, knowing full well what to expect. There's only one other person who should be on the phone network at this time: Rudelf, the stablehand responsible for the safety and flying prowess of the reindeer.

"What the helllllllllllll's going on out therrrrrrre, Jay Tee?"
"Hey, Rudelf, I was checking the south-east AA turret and the drat old POS went off, targeting error, shot its whole missile store somewhere I-dunno."
"They ain't that old. And why are you messssssessing with Anti-Air guff at all?"
"Uh, I activated it when the Proximity Alert went off-"
"WHATTT? Prox Alert? poo poo!" You hear him shouting to the reindeer. "Prancerrrrrrr, get that door shut now! We got unwelcome guests!" After ten seconds of background noise, you hear his voice again. "Okay, I'm sealed up herrrrrrrre. I'll go through every part of this stable, lookin' for loooooooky-loos. How's the Big Man?"

You freeze. You haven't checked on him at all. "Uh, one sec," you say, put the phone down and head into the corridor. From here you should be able to hear his snoring. You think you can make it out, but it's hard to tell over the echoing ringing in your ears of forty-eight anti-air explosions. You head back to the phone. "Sleepin' like the hairiest baby ever," you say.
"Good. If we lose him, we lose eeevvveeerrryyyttthhhiiinnnggg, Jay Tee, everything. Now. You seen any trace of anyone else around here?"
"Um, some tracks from the south side of the complex, heading south."
"Makin' a plaaaay for the sleiiiiigh, eh? Maybe someone wants an early present. Head down there, see what's going on. Oh, and Jaaaay Teeeeee?"
"Yeah?" You don't know exactly how, but you hear the smile widening on Rudelf's face.

"Gooooood hunting."

Two hours, fifty minutes remain.

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum
a RED BIRD

cut the phone line

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
A Black bird, quite possibly small.

Check the tracks

malbogio
Jan 19, 2015

A vehicle.
Check on the sleigh.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

A dog

Check out the sleigh

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

A hat.
Kill santa, take his place.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"

Image is of an owl! A bird but neither black nor red. No correct guesses. Current score: 4-4.
Randomly selecting action: 1d5 2 AJ_Impy's Check the tracks action chosen.

You hang up the phone and leave the complex by the nearest door, walking around the building on the outside, quietly making your way south. It's not long before you're near the loading bays. The southern end of the complex is dedicated to Goods Inwards, where the presents elves can't yet manufacture are shipped in and stored near the sleigh, ready to be wrapped and delivered to children all around the world.

The building should be deserted. Deliveries finally stopped about fourteen hours ago, and the presents were all wrapped and all the staff sent home for the holiday. You look down, and can barely make out the tyre tracks under the fresh snow accumulated since end-of-shift. You keep walking across the snow-covered tarmac, and see some fresh tracks that, for some reason, seem very familiar. Four sets of footprints, almost the size of the Big Man's, heading north right into the building, and alongside three of them are three pairs of small straight-line indentations, wheels perhaps? You look south, where the tracks came from. It looks like they emerged straight out of the surrounding forest.

You think you hear power tools being used from within the complex.

Two hours, forty minutes remain.

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum
Something Lunar, like the moon itself.

Check on your silver bullet as you approach the sounds.

malbogio
Jan 19, 2015

A vehicle.
Spy on the interlopers.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
A bird.

(Is this an ornithological society calendar?)

Investigate.

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

a bird in blue A lake. This time it will be a lake.
-Is someone... Making a gift for the clauses?
-Eh nah. probably trying to fix up the ride we, uh. Dealt with. Go take a look.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

A forest

Do our best Sam Fisher impression and scout out the miscreants in force. Deadly force

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

A hat.
Kill santa, take his place!

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"

Image is of a reindeer. No correct guesses! Current score: 4-5.
Randomly selecting action: 1d6 2 Malbogio's Mal-NOG-io's Spy on the interlopers action chosen.

You slowly move closer to the complex, to where the sounds are coming from. You hide behind a pillar seperating two loading bays and peek in. You see three sack trollies parked to one side, and hear noises from further in.

You press your luck and creep closer, approaching the sleigh. A-ha! Four humans, three wearing cardboard-brown snowsuits, one in a black snowsuit with blue piping. One of the brown-suited humans is guarding the entrance to the sleigh room from the inside of the complex, idly holding a pistol in their hands. The other two brown-suits, pistols hanging from holsters around their waists, are taking parts out of fairly large cardboard boxes and using powered screwdrivers to assemble... quadrocopter-type drones, by the looks of things, which they are then attaching to the sleigh. You look a little closer; they've built five, are working on the sixth, and have three unopened boxes left to go.

The black-suited human is supervising the action, which is to say, watching the assembly while scrolling on his phone. He's leaning next to a nearby wall, a rifle unslung and resting next to him against the wall. The work progresses slowly, only the powered screwdrivers breaking the silence.

Two hours, thirty minutes remain.

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum
A BUNNY

Astral project into the black-suit man and gun everybody down.

Verdict: Very Naughty

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
A Bird

Use the ancient Elven curse to turn them into toy soldiers.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

A dog

Activate automated toy turrets

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

malbogio
Jan 19, 2015

A vehicle.
Activate the security system.