Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
?
This poll is closed.
Yes 44 35.20%
No 81 64.80%
Total: 125 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Clock chat, I actually maintained a Cesium clock for a while. It was kind of cool knowing I had access to an "atomic clock". Too bad it only displayed a string of numbers... I always thought it should look cooler and have more dials to fit what it really was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

ded posted:

Hotter planet = less dense = more speed

Might be something that simple.

I think the conservation of angular momentum would tend to slow down rotation if the atmosphere grew hotter and spread out further

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Fallom posted:

I think the conservation of angular momentum would tend to slow down rotation if the atmosphere grew hotter and spread out further

Space is frictionless, momentum should be conserved indefinitely unless something steals it (like the moon's gravity).

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Jarmak posted:

Space is frictionless, momentum should be conserved indefinitely unless something steals it (like the moon's gravity).

Right which is why it would be conserved and rotation would slow down if the earth grew bigger

Classic ice skater analogy here

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Fallom posted:

Right which is why it would be conserved and rotation would slow down if the earth grew bigger

Classic ice skater analogy here

Yes, you're correct, I misread your post.

There's a lot more going on than the ice skater analogy though, so I don't think it would be that simple.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

As Nero Danced posted:

This year's felt like a decade. God I hope 2021 is boring, whoever said "may you live in interesting times" is an rear end in a top hat.

What's left on the natural disaster checklist, volcano?

Volcano, meteor, and we’re due for another tsunami on the scale of 2004 or 2011

We could always have a second pandemic. These things don’t actually work like the ones in Mister Burns.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

For England James?

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Be prepared
Fun Shoe
No. For me.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Goddamn it Sean Bean.

Also looking at that 2020 list...remember how fast Tiger King ascended and then crater from American pop culture in about two months? Covid-19 interestingly played a part in both.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

I think those kind of trainwreck people shows only work when the characters are run of the mill assholes, not when they're literal murderers or rapists or whatever . The drug lord was the most relatable person on the show. It popped up at the perfect time but after a few weeks everyone seemed to move from spectacle to "wow these are genuinely awful people".

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

Spoggerific posted:

https://www.npr.org/sections/corona...nown-study-says

This probably won't come as a surprise to anyone, but covid had likely been circulating around the US in December, weeks before the first reported cases in China, and nearly a month before the first official case in the US. Covid antibodies were detected during an analysis of blood donations made near the start of the year.

EDIT: The link to the study in the NPR article doesn't work, so here's a working link if anyone wants to check it out. https://academic.oup.com/cid/advance-article/doi/10.1093/cid/ciaa1785/6012472

I had heard this before and my family is fairly certain it's what killed my cousin who had cancer - he got bone marrow transplants and had been in remission for years but then was suddenly in the hospital in January and they said he had pneumonia and nothing they did could slow it down or stop it from killing him.

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

I get mental health care from the medical equivalent of Skillcraft.

As Nero Danced posted:

What's left on the natural disaster checklist, volcano?

Click me for 2020 volcano eruptions

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/oscar-nominated-umbrella-academy-star-171441548.html

Ellen Page just came out as trans and is now Elliot Page, he/him pronouns. Good for him.

Also,

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/coronavirus-relief-bill-bipartisan-group-lawmakers-roll-out-908-billion-plan/

CBS News posted:

Washington — A bipartisan group of lawmakers rolled out a $908 billion coronavirus relief plan that would provide aid to state and local governments, small businesses and jobless Americans but not include another round of stimulus checks, as Democratic leaders and the White House remain deadlocked on another economic package and the clock on crucial relief programs set to expire at the end of the year ticks down.

The four-month proposal from the bicameral coalition would provide state and local governments facing a cash crunch due to declining revenues with $160 billion and small businesses with $288 billion, including through the Paycheck Protection Program. It also allocates $82 billion for education and $16 billion for vaccine development and distribution, as well as testing and contact tracing. 

Riot Carol Danvers fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Dec 1, 2020

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!
I had a hope that the payroll tax thing would be forgiven for folks who didn't have a chance to opt out of it, but I doubt that'll happen.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Nothing says effective party leadership like having a group of Democrats publicly take the GOP position on stimulus

Lake of Methane
Oct 29, 2011

Kinda want a monolith to appear in Philly and get all hosed-up like that Canada robot.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Won't pass the Senate because the cruelty is the point.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Oof. That wasn’t a controlled demolition either, was it? Really glad I got to visit last year.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

orange juche posted:

Yep. That's the problem and it's not like Donnie's in a functional mood to do anything.

Speaking of, the fat gently caress is singing:

https://twitter.com/KlasfeldReports/status/1333856475752648706?s=19

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

facialimpediment posted:

Yep. That's the problem and it's not like Donnie's in a functional mood to do anything.

Speaking of, the fat gently caress is singing:

https://twitter.com/KlasfeldReports/status/1333856475752648706?s=19

https://twitter.com/kaitlancollins/status/1333857824720424961

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Be prepared
Fun Shoe

Someone's on his way out.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Bored As gently caress posted:

Someone's on his way out.

I don't think Trump will actually fire Barr, but gently caress I would laugh so hard if he did.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Mr. Nice! posted:

I don't think Trump will actually fire Barr, but gently caress I would laugh so hard if he did.

https://twitter.com/neontaster/status/1333861254063153154?s=19

At least some of the lovely people in the world are getting some discomfort and anger while we're all generally hosed. That wasn't the case for quite a while and it's a silver lining.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

orange juche posted:

It's a loving poo poo bill to begin with is my point. You want to stimulate the economy, maybe give people some money for the biggest spending period of the year. (and you know for the expenses during yet another lockdown because we as a culture are too stupid to not spread a loving pandemic in the name of MAH FREEDUMS)

Also local cops have destroyed a homeless encampment in a raid that was completely necessary and in no way cruel and unusual. Completely destroyed their shelters and all their stuff.

Riot Carol Danvers fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Dec 1, 2020

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

facialimpediment posted:

https://twitter.com/neontaster/status/1333861254063153154?s=19

At least some of the lovely people in the world are getting some discomfort and anger while we're all generally hosed. That wasn't the case for quite a while and it's a silver lining.

Yeah but it’s not going to actually damage them besides maybe some embarrassment. Nobody in this administration is going to be begging for cigarettes at the bus station at new year’s regardless of how lovely they are.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Icon Of Sin posted:

31 days left in 2020, anyone want to make bets on what other stupid things will happen this year?

Already covered:
Record shattering hurricane season in the Atlantic (one town got in 2 warning cones at the same time!)
Leads to my favorite experience of the year,
evacuating from the NC Outer Banks during a
pandemic
(I called it the “coronacaine
clusterfuck”)
Record breaking wildfires (US and Aus, at the very least)
Mentioned earlier, but bears repeating: COVID
Kobe Bryant’s helo crash (that was January!)
We came close to war with Iran, repeatedly
US started aiding Taliban vs ISIL
Deaths of Chadwick Bozeman, John Lewis, Ruth Bader Ginsburg
CAROL loving BASKIN
George Floyd (and many others :( )
Election clusterfuck (senate control is still up in the air!)

What else have I missed?

Obligatory “John Oliver blows up 2020” video for everyone’s enjoyment:

https://youtu.be/w405p8GeTps

Fearless predictions:

Dave Bowman's going to come back to Earth to warn us Jupiter is going to explode and create a second Sun, only this one will cause the heat death of the universe.

(Is "Trump fires zee missiles! into Tehran and Pyongyang" 2020 material or is he saving that for January 19, 2021?)

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Mr. Nice! posted:

Alright, now the sequence is making more sense:

https://twitter.com/ZekeJMiller/status/1333863633269493765

Blast out the real poo poo, throw some bullshit at Donnie to keep him happy.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

this is a real thing

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leap_second

e: I should read past the first 3 posts

shame on an IGA fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Dec 1, 2020

bengy81
May 8, 2010

Riot Carol Danvers posted:

It's a loving poo poo bill to begin with is my point. You want to stimulate the economy, maybe give people some money for the biggest spending period of the year. (and you know for the expenses during yet another lockdown because we as a culture are too stupid to not spread a loving pandemic in the name of MAH FREEDUMS)

Also local cops have destroyed a homeless encampment in a raid that was completely necessary and in no way cruel and unusual. Completely destroyed their shelters and all their stuff.

I'm assuming you are talking about the Denver one, which is even more hosed up because that's the place they told them to go set up camp.

RE: Eliot Page, good for him, but man, leaving that second "T" out of his name is making me unreasonably angry.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Riot Carol Danvers posted:

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/oscar-nominated-umbrella-academy-star-171441548.html

Ellen Page just came out as trans and is now Elliot Page, he/him pronouns. Good for him.

Always liked Page's acting in umbrella academy. Really hoping the show doesn't do "well the actor is trans the character is too now" thing where Hollywood likes matching sexual identity or preference to the actual actor for whatever reason.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

bengy81 posted:

I'm assuming you are talking about the Denver one, which is even more hosed up because that's the place they told them to go set up camp.

RE: Eliot Page, good for him, but man, leaving that second "T" out of his name is making me unreasonably angry.

I am not but it's great to know they're doing it in multiple cities across the country!

Stravag posted:

Always liked Page's acting in umbrella academy. Really hoping the show doesn't do "well the actor is trans the character is too now" thing where Hollywood likes matching sexual identity or preference to the actual actor for whatever reason.

Chances are they'll discuss it with him and figure out a way forward that works both for the narrative and for the actor.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:

Stravag posted:

Easier to explain to the audience.

Also, it's still 2020 so watch them just cancel the show, or something.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Jarmak posted:

Yes, you're correct, I misread your post.

There's a lot more going on than the ice skater analogy though, so I don't think it would be that simple.

If a frictionless figure skater falls in a vacuum, does she make a sound?

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

I just feel like it gives the actor too little credit. When Page was still identifying as Ellen and not openly gay he (do you refer to their ellen pronouns as he or she now they're Eliot?) didn't seem to have any issues playing straight characters. I feel like they latch onto lgbt identifiers as the sole core characterization of the person too often when it's in play

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Stravag posted:

lol that is not something hollywood is known for. See: The Danish Girl

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

lol that is not something hollywood is known for. See: The Danish Girl

Conversely, see Star Trek Discovery and the non-binary and trans actors, where the non-binary actor is playing a "she/her" and "her" boyfriend is the trans actor, with no mention made of his being trans. Which, according to interviews with the actor, may end up coming up, but at the same time he likes that it hasn't been brought up yet for precisely that reason.

Ian Alexander posted:

I think that there absolutely should be trans characters that just simply exist, and they don’t necessarily need to explain or come out as trans to the audience. I do think there will be at some point in the future a more explicit conversation about Gray’s gender identity and his transition, but that just won’t happen right away.

In conclusion, Hollywood is a land of contrasts or whatever

Riot Carol Danvers fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Dec 1, 2020

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

https://twitter.com/jasoncrawford/s...ingawful.com%2F

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

sharknado slashfic posted:

I think those kind of trainwreck people shows only work when the characters are run of the mill assholes, not when they're literal murderers or rapists or whatever . The drug lord was the most relatable person on the show. It popped up at the perfect time but after a few weeks everyone seemed to move from spectacle to "wow these are genuinely awful people".

Yeah if I wanted to watch stupid assholes behaving thusly I could always turn on the news

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

Step 1: read some of the letters the kids wrote

https://www.uspsoperationsanta.com

Step 2: go to this thread

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3949901&perpage=40&noseen=1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Stravag posted:

I thought the thing in Hollywood was to make sure the actor matched the role. See for example all the people that got mad that Benedict Cumberbatch played Khan even though Ricardo Montalban wasn't a Sikh either.

There were also people angry that the actor playing Sulu is of Korean descent and not Japanese descent.