Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
?
This poll is closed.
Yes 44 35.20%
No 81 64.80%
Total: 125 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Spoggerific
May 28, 2009
https://www.npr.org/sections/corona...nown-study-says

This probably won't come as a surprise to anyone, but covid had likely been circulating around the US in December, weeks before the first reported cases in China, and nearly a month before the first official case in the US. Covid antibodies were detected during an analysis of blood donations made near the start of the year.

quote:

Researchers found coronavirus antibodies in 39 samples from California, Oregon, and Washington as early as Dec. 13 to Dec. 16. They also discovered antibodies in 67 samples from Connecticut, Iowa, Massachusetts, Michigan, Rhode Island, and Wisconsin in early January — before widespread outbreaks in those states.

EDIT: The link to the study in the NPR article doesn't work, so here's a working link if anyone wants to check it out. https://academic.oup.com/cid/advance-article/doi/10.1093/cid/ciaa1785/6012472

Spoggerific fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Dec 1, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spoggerific
May 28, 2009
https://abc7ny.com/nypd-officer-suspended-jaes-kobel-equal-employement-opportunity-division-modified-assignment/7679612/

quote:

NEW YORK (WABC) -- The head of the NYPD's workplace discrimination office has been relieved of his command amid an investigation into allegations he made prejudice, sexist and intolerant comments in an online chat room where officers air grievances anonymously.
[...]
Kobel is accused of penning attacks on Black and Jewish people, women, members of the LGBTQ community and others for more than a year using the pseudonym "Clouseau," a reference to the bumbling French detective in the "Pink Panther" films.

In messages posted on the website, "Clouseau" referred to Bronx District Attorney Darcel Clark as a "gap-tooth wildebeest," ridiculed Public Advocate Jumaane Williams for having Tourette's syndrome, called former President Barack Obama a "Muslim savage" and Mayor Bill de Blasio's son, Dante, a "brillohead."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4vIBijzg4w

Spoggerific
May 28, 2009

What happens when a high-ranking government official gets Alzheimer's bad enough to the point where it's impossible to cover up anymore? If it were the president, in a perfect world presumably the 25th amendment would be activated, but what about a senator or something?

Spoggerific
May 28, 2009

ded posted:

It's already happened. And nothing was done.

Reagans brain was full on cheese for years before he left.

Any world where Reagan became president is not a perfect world. :colbert:

Spoggerific
May 28, 2009

Zamujasa posted:

when was the last time we had a particularly powerful sun fart, anyway? sounds like it's been a while if we're only just now pulling back up into a more active cycle.

The Carrington Event, which occurred in 1859, was likely the strongest geomagnetic storm ever recorded. If it had hit the Earth in modern times, after the advent of widespread electronics, well...

Wikipedia posted:

In June 2013, a joint venture from researchers at Lloyd's of London and Atmospheric and Environmental Research (AER) in the United States used data from the Carrington Event to estimate the cost of a similar event in the present to the U.S. alone at $0.6–2.6 trillion, which at the time equated to roughly 3.6% to 15.5% of annual GDP.

Spoggerific
May 28, 2009

Milo and POTUS posted:

Apparently our entire electrical grid is held together with duck tape and rubber bands and we are no poo poo insanely vulnerable to all threats natural and manmade. I think someone mentioned some component that I don't really remember that we just plain don't have enough of and if they were to all get fried it'd be a long and lethal road back to semi functional.

Looks like it's transformers. I took a look at that study that Wikipedia cited in my quote (PDF), and it mentioned transformers as being a bottleneck in several places.

quote:

The total U.S. population at risk of extended power outage from a Carrington-level storm is between 20-40 million, with durations of 16 days to 1-2 years. The duration of outages will depend largely on the availability of spare replacement transformers. If new transformers need to be ordered, the lead-time is likely to be a minimum of five months. The total economic cost for such a scenario is estimated at $0.6-2.6 trillion USD (see Appendix).

Storms weaker than Carrington-level could result in a small number of damaged transformers (around 10-20), but the potential damage to densely populated regions along the Atlantic coast is significant. The total number of damaged transformers is less relevant for prolonged power outage than their concentration. The failure of a small number of transformers serving a highly populated area is enough to create a situation of prolonged outage.

Large transformer repairs/replacements occur on the timescale of weeks to months, and could result in long-term widespread blackouts.

They also appear to rate risk area by density of transformers at the county level.

Spoggerific
May 28, 2009
For what it's worth I think the Time person of the year is the new president in basically every election year. I think the only recent time a president didn't get it was in 1988 for Bush senior's election.

Edit: I should read the entire thread before replying.

Spoggerific
May 28, 2009

pantslesswithwolves posted:

What in the hot gay gently caress was that

People joking about his eyepatch must have gotten to his head and now he thinks he really is Big Boss.

Spoggerific
May 28, 2009

Platystemon posted:

His wife would catch it only if it were COVID-15.

I had to look up why this was funny and :stonk:

Spoggerific
May 28, 2009
Yesterday there was a demonstration of a few hundred people claiming that Biden stole the election and that trump is the real winner of the election...

...in Osaka, Japan? :psyduck:

"Don't be fooled by the media's lies! The US election is not over yet!"

https://twitter.com/visiontimesjp/status/1340576175005990914

About the only "news" outlet I could find covering it was basically the Japanese equivalent to Breitbart, so it's not exactly gaining widespread traction over here, but I guess it goes to show there are people with trump brain worms all over the world. It looks like it's mostly just people that are vehemently opposed to anything and everything China, and trump is louder than Biden, so they automatically assume Biden is a Chinese plant in order to hand them Asia on a silver platter or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spoggerific
May 28, 2009
That CNN article links to another one where Putin basically says "eh, if we really wanted to kill him we could".

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/12/17/europe/putin-annual-press-conference-intl/index.html