Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
?
This poll is closed.
Yes 44 35.20%
No 81 64.80%
Total: 125 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
The "obelisk" looked errantly like one of the stands that used to hold up those "futuristic" AT&T phones with the dot matrix screens that you'd see at larger airports back in the 80s and early 90s.

Top marks go to clickbait headlines that started with "mystery metal" to imply they were something other than garden variety stainless steel, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Hyrax Attack! posted:

I honestly thought he already had it.

Can we charge him with perpetrating biological/chemical warfare because of that COVID fart he let loose in Michigan?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Kazinsal posted:

Dude's basically paralleling Lowtax's career as an edgy internet funnyman, but 15 years later. This is his Uwe Boll moment, and it's going to be hilarious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQJP1ksFVyM

The exchange @ 0:11 really aged well.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

The new VC-25Bs will lack in-flight refueling capability. They've never actually refuelled with the president aboard, but it still seems like a bad idea.

That being said, the E-4s have refueling capability but they're...kinda short on creature comforts. Like, "no shower" short.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Reminder that the only reason the VC-25s got fast tracked in the first place is because Trump was embarrassed that his 747 was shorter than the Qatari and Kuwaiti 7478i VIPs he saw before the now notorious ORB meeting. Before that he was all "spendy Obama and his new planes! :sad:"

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Cythereal posted:

Deutsche Bank is also after them, probably due to the PR. Anyone who takes down the Trumps, or does significant damage to them, is going to be famous at least for a little while. Have to imagine that's a part of it.

Douchey Bank relies heavily on being the The Bank of Choice for Evil Motherfuckers so I don't have a lot of faith in their "investigation" being any more than lip service for fear of scaring their clientele.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"We're gonna build the wall, and Mexico will pay for GUARD it!" :smugdon:

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Watch him try to "gift" himself a C-32, or better yet, "trade" for one.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

What I've never understood is how the nuns get away with everything they've done. The sexual abuse is abhorrent enough, but nuns are known for some truly sadistic poo poo. Magdalene nuns abused and tortured young pregnant girls out of spite, jealousy, and because the Bible told them it was okay.

And since it seems in vogue: lapsed Catholic who stopped caring after Confirmation.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

bulletsponge13 posted:

Yeah, Tom played the game smart. 580mil RN, vs. ??? when Facebook inevitably went public.

And it's not like 580 million dollars is anything to sneeze at.

"Nice guy" aside, it's like Patient Zero lamenting about the deadly mutations of his original and *pure* strain.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

pantslesswithwolves posted:

That said, if Qadhafi had nukes or other WMD, that would may have changed the calculus for external intervention from NATO or the UN or whatever but likely wouldn’t have factored in for their civil war.

His juiced-up SCUD-Bs could've made a real mess of Southern Italy, ~80% of Greece, and could've *barely* hit Israel if he'd launched them practically on the border with Egypt.

He also fired two SCUDs at *Lampedusa* once - and missed: https://theaviationgeekclub.com/the-libyan-scud-attack-on-lampedusa-and-the-italian-retaliation-against-gaddafi-that-never-was/

I still remember watching CNN back in the mid-ish 90s and hearing that the Clinton administration (with Harold Smith running point as Assistant SecDef for CBRN) was 'considering' a B61 strike on Qadaffi's underground chemical weapons labs.

No clue about this site's credentials/leanings, but: https://real-agenda.com/world-3/americas-planned-nuclear-attack-on-libya/

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Dec 9, 2020

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

EBB posted:

Look man we gotta be ready for a Moonraker scenario at any inclination

You talk like this isn't Elon's endgame.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

She evidently had a few good days when she remembered to profit off of classified COVID briefings.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Platystemon posted:

How juiced were they?

I’m seeing news articles saying three hundred to eight hundred kilometres (lol), but it would take nine hundred to more like a thousand to hit Israel or Macedonia.

1000km theoretical. That's why I said he'd pretty much have to launch from as far east as he could get.

Supposedly after the Lampedusa incident they practiced duck and cover drills at Sigonella (and Comiso, when it was still open), since Sicily is a bigger and easier target to hit.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Dec 10, 2020

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Zamujasa posted:

when was the last time we had a particularly powerful sun fart, anyway? sounds like it's been a while if we're only just now pulling back up into a more active cycle.

https://visibleearth.nasa.gov/images/55580/biggest-solar-flare-on-record

And this'un, which missed us by over a week: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_storm_of_2012

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Dec 10, 2020

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

SquirrelyPSU posted:

Pennsylvania just went back to Yellow essentially.

https://www.governor.pa.gov/newsroo...-early-january/

Let the re-litigation of April commence.

Virginia just went back to :shrug:.

We have a not-a-curfew from midnight to 5am, but don't worry, the cops have been instructed to NOT pull people over and inadvertently shoot minorities in violation of said not-a-curfew. :shepface:

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Cugel the Clever posted:

wtf, Hollywood, what are you doing still putting things out only in theaters given where we are in the pandemic??

Hollywood made smoking cool from the 30s to the 90s, making them complicit in the deaths of hundreds of thousands if not millions of people. No way they're not going to capitalize on 70+ million potential moviegoers, especially if they can frame it as ~going to the movies to own the Libs~. It's certainly on brand.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Drone warfare is the biggest boon to the MIC since Vietnam.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Riot Carol Danvers posted:

Military-industrial Complex, the incestuous self-licking ice cream Cone of things like Lockheed and the USAF, etc. Unless you knew that and are joking in which case :pseudo:

It should honestly be the MIIC now, with one I for Information.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Anything that requires Pelosi to raise her voice is :hmmno: and a violation of :decorum:.

She's like the black lady from the Police Academy movies without the angry shouting voice.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Yeah, the SCOTUS decision to not even HEAR the case has me just as :ohdear: as if they had. Donny is the type who was probably pretty sure "his people" were going to back him up, which further proves just how bad his advising is - once SCOTUS Justices are seated the only thing they care about is their ~legacy~, and no one wants to die on Orange Hill.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

pantslesswithwolves posted:

Trump gonna flash pack the court with 20 more 35 year old Liberty University law school grads who will agree to hear the case in mid-January

Regent Law School grads. They haven't had a scandal in a while.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

That Works posted:

I hope they do tbh

:same: but not looking forward to freak-outs at immigration from people who "left their cards at home."

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Woofer posted:

What’s old is new again

Kinda. The South has *meth* now.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

bulletsponge13 posted:

Former Partners of Depp reported his abuse in the past, so not sure why anyone defended him.

For the same reason there are still ardent defenders of Michael Jackson who harangue and threaten anyone who dares besmirch a dead man. People are loving weird about celebrities and humanity was a mistake.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Fallom posted:

Having top of the line healthcare still means $6k+ in deductibles and out of pocket expenses before you max out.

I'm on a grandfathered pre-ACA PPO individual plan with a $300 deductible and I pay an obscene amount per month. The only plan I've seen come close to mine is the platinum plan through Kaiser, which for the non-US people, is an HMO.

Oh, and to even find out about the best plans, you basically have to agree to let the health insurance companies badger you incessantly during Open Season. Non-stop phone calls and texts until you finally tell them to leave you the gently caress alone, and even then it won't stop until Open Season ends.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Dec 15, 2020

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

CBJSprague24 posted:

"Whether you like him or not, Trump has created interest in politics unlike anything in recent memory."

That's just the thing, though. Americans, by and large, *resent* having to learn or be passionate about their governance. They want boring politicians so they can make an excuse to *not* vote because "meh they're both the same and both full of poo poo so :shrug:."

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Jesus, Granholm doesn't even have a B.S.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Lemniscate Blue posted:

What's the issue with Granholm for Energy?

She's not a scientist (doesn't even have a B.S.), and the DoE mainly deals in nuclear energy and weapons management and administration. It feels a lot like Rick Perry all over again. Everyone was *hoping* Ernest Moniz would be tapped again.

Especially in light of this: https://twitter.com/propublica/status/1339033560586579968

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Kazinsal posted:

Eh, just because he's a sociopathic rat doesn't mean he isn't into dudes.

Now I'm imagining Pete as Agent Smecker from Boondock Saints. Only without Dafoe's gravitas.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

2016 Legacy owner here. Haven't had anything go wrong with the accursed CVT *yet*, but fished for the extended warranty simply because I'd never owned one before and had ~heard stories~. My main issue is that the car seems to chew up its brake rotors every ~20k miles, and I'm not a brake rider at all.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Oxygenpoisoning posted:

https://twitter.com/DanCrenshawTX/status/1339683854290980865?s=20

Everyone’s favorite victim slandering congressman got caught following a $1500 an hour prostitute on Twitter and is claiming he hacked.

His right hand couldn't see what his radical left one was up to.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

That Works posted:

Nothingburger or nah?

It's "unprecedented," but not quite :stare:-worthy yet. Right now I'm just assuming it's another act meant to sabotage Biden's first 100 days by forcing him to start from scratch on Day 1.

The thing I'm most worried about is Trump firing/furloughing most of the Federal Government before Inauguration Day using Schedule F, and/or suspending all civilian security clearances.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Dec 18, 2020

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Just because it's never happened before doesn't mean it can't. The narrative's already being set up with the whole "leaks" thing and the administration doing their best to burn all evidence of their fuckups and malfeasance over the past four years.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

It bugs me that I read that tweet and think "oh, so that's how the billionaires are buying their doses."

"Quality control." :jerkbag:

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Owning the Russians by closing off incredibly valuable patches of sovereign land upon which intelligence gathering can be conducted and organized.

"That bully keeps punching me in the arm, so I'll show him by cutting both of them off!" :v:

I say we start playing by Russian rules. Bomb their "Internet Research Building" and then call Putin with condolences for the "gas leak." Mob rules goes both loving ways.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Richard Bong posted:

Sure, I was on a leftward trend, but watching a person who was rationing insulin have to do low paying physical labor for someone who could give them a lifetime supply and not even notice the effect, stuck with me.

No, see, when they're 'generous' with a servant, they do something that THEY believe is generous, like gift them a watch they never really liked. A watch that might be worth five digits and technically needs to be declared to the tax man, especially if they plan on selling it.

Also, don't forget this "said the quiet part out loud" episode from 2010: https://www.politico.com/story/2010/01/sc-lt-gov-poor-like-stray-animals-031959

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Leavemywife posted:

Why are these people so obsessed with a loving loser who doesn't give a poo poo about them?

Trump makes assholes feel better about themselves. The lovely opinionated uncle at Thanksgiving who waits the entire year to spew his "now I'm not a racist, BUT" bile. Karens. Small business owners who revile their employees because they have to pay them what the government requires them to. He's what they aspire to be - a piece of poo poo that always seems to fall upward despite all the "haters," and even though everyone hopes/wishes he'd just shut the gently caress up, he never does, and everyone HAS to listen to him, whether they like it or not.

And at the farthest fringe of the spectrum of Trump supporters are the sort who see in him their path to relevance. The sort who'd happily be tower guards in "relocation" camps, or ICE deputies. His fascist leanings offer them a societal stepping stool the same way Hitler did to guys like Eichmann and Himmler.

As for the yes-men (and women) catering to Trump's Twitter delusions...why wouldn't they? They can't *all* get jobs with FNC, Newsmax, and OANN when this is all over. Might as well place a few bucks on the *chance* he might stage a coup!

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Dec 20, 2020

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Winning hearts and minds! :shepface:

...or at least, liberating them from the bodies they inhabit. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Rand's neighbor should have run over him with that riding mower.