Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Game of the Decade
This poll is closed.
Bowsette 69424 23.78%
Metis Souls 85 0.03%
Metisnite 7 0.00%
Skymetis 26 0.01%
Gone Metis 9 0.00%
MGSV: Phantom Pain (Metis Gear Solid) 13 0.00%
Journey 10 0.00%
Doom 20Metis 12 0.00%
Metis Presents: House Party 95 0.03%
Xcom: Metis Unknown 19 0.01%
Metis (gamer of the decade) (no gamer moments) 36 0.01%
The Metis 3 24 0.01%
METIISSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!! 222220 76.11%
Total: 291980 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
I went through the first stage of the Doom Eternal DLC and I’m tapping out. The combat encounters are just more and more, it sucks to fight in a holding pattern for 10 minutes then die because an archvile spawn on the other side of the and summoned a bunch of buffed enemies. The first stage culminated in two marauders followed by two tyrants with plenty of toxic mancubuses for flavor, and I get the feeling that by the end their big trick will be *three* super enemies at a time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

Infinitum posted:

I had a lot of free time last month for some reason, so I started checking out this dudes videos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hDkuUZ3F1GU

Even if you don't like Minecraft they're a really really solid watch as the dude tries to survive.
Lots of really impressive plays as well.

Yeah, I’ve been watching some of his videos while working from home. They’re really good but I have two criticisms.

1) Dream (the one really good player who sets the videos up and has to survive or beat the game) can hear the other players discus their plans which gives him a pretty huge advantage.

2) Some videos have the premise of “If these four players can kill me they’ll win $20,000” which seems like rich people toying with poor people. Like “haha I have so much disposable income wouldn’t you like to pay off those loans lol? Come and find me!”

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Merry Gear Solid: Secret Santa and the sequel, Ghosts of Christmas Past

http://www.superfundungeonrun.com/?page_id=297

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Grapplejack posted:

But you're going to miss on the worst plot twist of the year!

I read your explaining, spoilered post but this one gave me the strength to push through to the end. I was basically hate playing it and bumped it down to the easiest difficulty. Let me just say: ugh.

I started Dark Souls and it’s like wearing my favorite pants. When it was released I bought a copy of DS for the XB360, which I had, and loved playing it so much I got a copy for the PS3 (which by then-girlfriend had) because I wanted to play it every available minute. I rolled a thief character this time to avoid doing the Zweihander=easy mode route again.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

My home’s heater is on the fritz. It’s 28 degrees outside and the house is 58 this morning, down from 62 last night. Took a look at the heater but whatever’s wrong is beyond my DIY skills.

RBA Starblade posted:

What's the Doom Eternal dlc plot twist I didn't buy it

Samuel Hayden is an angel, VEGA is God, and the Dark Lord who rules over Hell looks just like Doomguy. “He’s their version of you.”

Which doesn’t make sense because the Dark Lord is a crazy Primeval who ruled over a plane of hedonists that he forced to research immortality so hard they turned into demons. Him being a humanoid seems inconsistent with all the other angelic imagery we’ve seen so far. Also for a game with Eternal in its name and the end of base campaign saying “Your fight is eternal” they’re making a big deal out of he idea that killing the Dark Lord will kill all the demons outside of the Hell plane. So, eternal until you kill this one guy.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

RBA Starblade posted:

Is

Is the plot twist that you are the demons

No, you still hate the demons. I think it’s more that you are the apex soldier of the Earth realm and it just so happens that the apex soldier of Hell looks exactly the same. At least, if they were going hard in the “this is your twin” or “you are a secret spawn of the Dark Lord” it doesn’t hit it hard enough. I got all the lore bits so I don’t think I missed anything. Just a dumb reveal overall, but I guess the Doom writing team has to do something to earn their bread.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

I asked for hundreds and thousands at my bodegagrocery store and I was laughed out of the building.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Non-game chat: My uncle just sent me a link to my cousin's art portfolio and it's full of cool outsider art that I think is neat for someone in their early twenties. I haven't talked to that side of the family much ever and a lot less since my grandma died last December, so this came out of the blue. I think she's working towards coming out as trans? At least that's the vibe I get from some of the art. Maybe she's just angry at gender norms, it's her prerogative. You can check it out here, just trying to give her a little exposure since she's trying to make it as an artist: https://larsondanielle.me

This one really gets me:

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Jay Rust posted:

Does anyone actually like Mickey Mouse?

My 3yo is a big fan

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Jay Rust posted:

Are there new Mickey cartoons or something, how does an infant learn who he is

Yeah, tons. Mickey Mouse Clubhouse is aimed at preschoolers so that gets a lot of play. Then there's Mickey Mouse Roadster Racers which is geared a little older, but the episodes are split between a racecar ep and a Minnie's Happy Helpers ep. Then you get the Mickey shorts, as posted above. There's four seasons of those and they are very good, great expressions and animation throughout. They just started a Wonderful World of Mickey Mouse series with the same art styling but with episodes that are 8 minutes long instead of 3, and they have been great. I mean, I might not be watching them if I didn't have a little dude who wanted some cartoon time but they are good for what they are.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-lnw6DFZTYo

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

P4 is definitely among the top candidates for games I wish I could play again for the first time

I wish I hadn’t beaten P5 at release so I could play P5Royal with a clear conscious.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Started playing Elite Dangerous and all I want to be is a space trucker.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

VideoGames posted:

Whereabouts are you?

I am in darkroot and have beaten (boss spoilers) Taurus Demon, Capra Demon, Bell Gargoyle, Moonlight Butterfly, Ornstein & Smough, Havel, Chaos Witch Quelaag, Iron Golem and Gaping Dragon.

I am currently rocking two awesome rings, a great club and the black knight armour :D Powerful clubbering!

This is my very first run through! I am a pyromancer with a club though.

I just got into Anor Londo in my run. Well, I got the pillar the stairs raised and then I took a break anyway. I neglected to go into Darkroot before Anor Londo, I’m doing a pretty straightforward run as the game directs me. A lot of it is like muscle memory for me and I’ve been able to stay human for the most part. Aced the Capra Demon, Quelaag, Gaping Dragon and the Iron Golem, but I haven’t been afraid to summon help either. I wish I got summoned in more quickly into other people’s games, but I had the most success chilling in front of the Belltower Golems and helping by casting Heavy Soul Arrow.

My most memorable part so far is killing Maneater Mildred in Blighttown, realizing I had enough souls for the Crest of Artorius, then running from the Blighttown swamp up to the blacksmith near Sen’s Fortress in one long hike to cash in. My memory isn’t perfect and I’m sure I’m missing some items. I wish I found the Rusted Iron Ring which I know you can do before Blighttown. I’ll make another pass through some areas once I get the Lordvessel.

I know I was summoned and helped a pyromancer with a giant club so if it wasn’t you then it was your brother in arms.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

That Yellow Heart character is gross fan service but isn’t that like the point of Nep games? Cheesecake and video game references?

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

I bought an Adder in Elite Dangerous and felt like I was ready to try my hand at hunting some pirates. I picked up three missions to kill raiders thinking they would stack but no, they are cumulative. Also it turns out I’m not very good at dogfighting. Maybe if I had a multi cannon that was on a tumble, but going between dumping my thermal weapons’ capacitors draining a shield and trying to line up a fixed weapon to deal hull damage I’ve seen as many pirates skip out when low as I have managed to KO. I just upgraded some of my core systems so I’m hoping a better power generator will give my energy weapons a bit of a kick.

At least there’s a bonus on the bounties so every one enemy I kill is worth it’s own mission in rewards.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

redreader posted:

I apologise for the dumbness of this question: playing disco elysium on pc with mouse + keyboard. I have controllers and like them (and a steam controller) but I assume this game isn't really a controller game? But I hate holding shift with my pinky while I run around with WASD. I could just reconfigure run I suppose, but before I do that is there a better option, e.g. 'controller is better than m+kb for this game' or whatever? And I don't see a 'run everywhere' option either.

Caps lock? I seem to remember that working.

e: I went back and tested it, can confirm caps lock is the "set run as default" button.

LawfulWaffle fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Dec 7, 2020

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

He named the smart Yoshi “Cuck”.

Mall Santa Metis posted:

didn't the guy who did that to kurt eichenwald get criminal charges

edit: sending seizure trigger videos, for context

Yeah, and I think he had to pay Kurt a hefty sum of money too. I feel like that would be precedent for “this person knows I have epilepsy and sent me a video with the intent of causing me to have a seizure” cases.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

I said come in! posted:

Games chat, what brand do you all use for a soundbar for your TV? I am in need of a new soundbar for my TV, mine just broke. It's a Vizio.

I use a tower speaker that should be on the floor but I've put it on top of my entertainment center. It's also off-center and the only speaker even though everything's set to stereo sound. It's, like, the worst audio set up.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

I am coming into a bit of money and one thing I'm looking to get is a new graphics card. Should I just hold out until the 3070 comes back in stock or am I just getting swept up in the hype. Also I have a 6 core processor (AMD FX-6300) should I look into upgrading that too? I don't know what any of the numbers mean on these things anymore, I just want to play games good.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Grapplejack posted:

tbh at this point it might be worth like, just waiting on the graphics card and upgrade the rest of your PC first. graphics cards are literally nonexistent right now

That's fair. I recently upgraded my RAM, I guess I could get a better power supply? I have a 620 watt one but I think the 3070 recommends a 650w. If that's not really critical, this is kind of a new PC to me and the graphics card is the oldest part on it so I can wait a few months until they're more available.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

I only listen to The Smiths and I’ve made my peace with Moz being a shithead.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Yakuza's business game taught me a bit about what it's like to be unreasonably wealthy. For most of the game you have to pay attention to the prompts for investment deals and if the ROI is too high it's obviously a scam and you don't want to waste your money. But, once you have a few billion and are going for the 10b achievement, you start ignoring everything and are like "1m yen to some idiot who says he can make me 30m, there's no way itll work but who cares if it does pay off that's like thirty seconds shaved off my time," then thinking about all the insane real-life venture-capital weirdos and private equity scams I would have been funding that would have looked like throwing away money to anyone on the outside

This exactly. Especially since in the beginning you're cagey about anything that would even double your investment and by the end you're spending money hand over fist half out of the hope it makes a return and half because it's functionally a rounding error. I feel the same way about the excess staff I keep paying for that's not assigned to anything. I have SSR ranked staff that I've promoted and leveled up to max but never found a place to assign them, but I keep them on the payroll just because ~maybe~ I'll buy a different $300m building and they'll be a good fit.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I love that the game can go there when it literally starts with you scrounging under vending machines for 500-yen pieces

Yeah but someone literally hands you the seat as president of the company and you get an angel investor to cover your first acquisitions so Ichiban is really every NYT article about how you too can pay off your student loans and own a house by 25 if you work hard, don't buy cable TV, and also rent out your parent's vacation home on AirBNB.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

I've been getting into Elite Dangerous but I also bought Hades so I don't know if I'll ever get back to flying around space. I kind of liked doing my exploration or trading but it's pretty aimless, and all the goals that I've read about seem... not very enticing. I'd like a big ship no doubt, but I don't know how much down time (FSC charging, 4, 3, 2, 1, jump initated, FSC cooling down, FC charging, 4, 3, 2, 1, jump initated, FSC cooling down, FSC charging...) I can sit through. I've stayed up 'till 3am twice this week just doing one more trade or scan one more planet, and for what?! So I can upgrade my thrusters from 3D to 3A?

Trading Imperial Slaves was the most lucrative mission I've seen and I still feel dirty for accepting it. Ugh.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Was Crimson Desert supposed to be an MMO? The combat looked too busy but I also got strong Dragon's Dogma vibes from it. I'm keeping it in the "interested" column for now.

Season, Open Roads, It Takes Two, The Callisto Protocol, Returnal, and Evil West are also things I want to keep an eye on.

The Ghosts 'n Goblins game looks like poo poo, I'll be the first to call it Flash-tier art (with caveat that I think Hollow Knight looks amazing and wouldn't earn that descriptor). I don't understand if Endless Dungeon is the same as Dungeon of the Endless but the music was nice. Ruined King looks okay but I haven't played much of BattleCrashers. Scarlet Nexus looks like a bad character action game but I'll be happy to be surprised as we learn more.

All the "big" titles like Dragon's Age and Mass Effect not having any gameplay is just a big jerking off motion from me. No Elden Ring is absolutely not surprising. That's in the same vaporware hole that Deep Down died in.

TLoU2 winning everything also doesn't surprise me since it had superior dog murder technology and most effectively evoked negative emotions, which means it's Art. I started playing Hades last night and I've already lost like 6 hours to it and I'm looking forward to losing more. I made it to the third area! I read the last page of the thread here and it looks like there's a bunch for me to uncover, and I'm excited to do it.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

:toot: beat Hades for the first time. Used the shield just for the Darkness boost and since I had died to the last boss the attempt before I got Demeter right off the bat. I took her Cast ability without really knowing what I was getting into and that wound up being the decider for the rest of the run. It turns the spell into a laser turret and I picked up some boons to compliment it, like longer cast time and the duo ability with Artemis so the laser tracked enemies better. In the last area I picked up a legendary boon that gave me two more casts and a slight damage/defense buff when I had no ammo. The last fight was me dropping all the Casts as quickly as possible, running away, and picking up the spent gems to recast as quickly as possible. I had grabbed another duo ability that gave me passive healing and that absolutely kept me alive because I was eating lots of damage right in the face.

The third boss was the hardest since the lasers couldn't always score hits, but it was a real peach of a loadout. I jumped right back in for another run but I have to take a break since it's nearly 3am.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

doingitwrong posted:

My avatar makes me look very cool and confident.

Ah, you’re doing it wrong

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

My ranking of weapons in Hades

1) Shield
2) Spear
3) Fists
4) Bow
5) Sword
6) Gun

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Harrow posted:

I hated the gun at first in Hades but then I got the Eris aspect and it's by far my best weapon now.

I got within spitting distance of finishing a run with the Eris gun but got hit for like 90 damage in quick succession. I went in with two revives, too, but I was still learning the boss. 2 of my 3 wins have been with different shield aspects.

I think it really comes down to what hammer upgrades you find along the way, since they almost always make the run.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Can someone PM me an invite for the preferred Games Chat Discord? I'm in a Marvelous Pro Elite Gaming thing that I thought was the games chat room but I don't recognize any of the names. Since I've been doing more PC gaming I've been a little more engaged with Discord since I can set it up on a second monitor and watch a channel scroll while I play Hades or Tabletop Sim.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

It's very funny to me that the most popular/hyped/currently "it" game has been scrubbed from the face of PlayStation. Just completely non-personned. If you hadn't been plugged in and only checked the PSN store for new games now and again, Cyberpunk may as well never have existed.

https://twitter.com/LawfulWaffle/status/1339833836860039169

re Hades: I got my 8th win tonight but I feel that once you start unlocking meta-progression stuff like extra lives and damage boosts it gets easier and easier. Knowing what boons make or break a run also help, although there's only so much you can do to kit out your Zag. I understand if people bounce off of it, though. There's plenty of games in the sea and there's certainly a cliff to climb before you start finding success.

LawfulWaffle fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Dec 18, 2020

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Relax Or DIE posted:

you think a dude just built a yonic monument

e: I got to the credits in Hades. I enjoyed it quite a bit.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

The Cyberpunk glitches just make me think of how cool a game that really leaned into that sort of glitchy, technical breakdown stuff could be. Trees swaying 180 degrees? Cars exploding randomly? Bodies freaking out? Set it in an infected virtual world and just roll with the jank. Make endlessly replicated NPCs a feature, not a bug.

LawfulWaffle fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Dec 20, 2020

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Endorph posted:

i mean you can just check my rap sheet and go to the probation for 'saying slurs' thats still there. thats a cool thing to give a person, lol

is it on the first page of your rap sheet? I didn't see it there.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

hatty posted:

I will never watch a Dunkey

He's past his prime anyway. The Dunkey star is fading.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

I said come in! posted:

How puzzle heavy is Grimrock 2? I am a very stupid person.

I wound up using a walk through for some parts in the back half because I just wanted the good equipment. It wasn’t too hard but I was coming right off Grimrock 1 and just wanted the path of least resistance. I liked 2 more than 1 though overall, enough that I might replay it in a year or so when all my memories of it have faded.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

The retroachievements for Final Fantasy Tactics has one for choosing to help Algus the first time you meet him and not one for choosing to ignore him, and that rubs me the wrong way so bad that I haven't stopped thinking about it since I noticed it a few days ago.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

I started playing FFXIV again last night after a two+ year break. It’s wild jumping back into a lvl 50 character with all the trimmings and stuff that is normally drip fed to a player unlocked at once. I almost died to some mobs because I forgot what any of my monk’s moves did or what the rotation I had figured out back then was. Going through menus and relearning how to teleport at the same time I’m unlocking samurai is a weird experience, and my inventory is full of things that I don’t know hold any value. Were they mats for a crafting class I was working on? Is it important that I have two different punch weapons, was I keeping the other for any reason? I discovered a retainer I had who had 70k Gil on them, half of what I had in my pocket. Was this significant?

I switched a job I had no exp in just to try and relearn the basics and I’m glad SAM starts at lvl 50 because it means I don’t have to decipher my monk build I can just flip to samurai and start kind of fresh for the HW content.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

I should really go back and play more Battletech. I did missions up to and through the first story mission on a moon then took a long break. How do you put so many hours into it? Is there a robust online mode or something? The DLC?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

I counted and I have 46 main story quests left in FFXIV before I reach the first expansion. It’s is like chopping wood, just go to the quest and run through the motions while trying to get to the good stuff.

I would be making more progress but I spent the first 9 hours of my revisit not knowing where the next story quest was and going around getting the new classes while revisiting stuff like Leatherworker or Culinarian. My inventories were filled with low level crafting mats that I must have valued when I stopped playing 4 years ago. I finally found the MSQ thread I had lost last night and was rewarded with “go around these towns and talk to people” which was thrilling.