Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Game of the Decade
This poll is closed.
Bowsette 69424 23.78%
Metis Souls 85 0.03%
Metisnite 7 0.00%
Skymetis 26 0.01%
Gone Metis 9 0.00%
MGSV: Phantom Pain (Metis Gear Solid) 13 0.00%
Journey 10 0.00%
Doom 20Metis 12 0.00%
Metis Presents: House Party 95 0.03%
Xcom: Metis Unknown 19 0.01%
Metis (gamer of the decade) (no gamer moments) 36 0.01%
The Metis 3 24 0.01%
METIISSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!! 222220 76.11%
Total: 291980 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
What loser doesn’t have at least a chimpanzee as a corporate officer?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Does anyone else's Youtbe not have any idea at all who they are or what sort of things they might actually be into? I was getting Oculus Rift ads for four months after I had already bought my Quest because it was all the analytics on my phone had. I bought Graveyard Keeper in September and google'd alchemy recipes and ever since they're trying to sell me blenders. Occasionally I'll get some ones that I have no idea where they're coming from, like tactical body armor, or fertility consultations.
Over decades of using YouTube I’ve never understood. I finish a video and look over all the recommended videos and I can’t think of a single one that I want to watch. Meanwhile I keep reading news articles about how their recommendation algorithms are just too good and they’re turning people into addicts and I wonder if we’re thinking about the same web page.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I’d be more willing to forgive KH’s story...inconsistencies if I felt like it’s gameplay had come anywhere good in the last two decades almost. The lock on and movement system in KH3 felt ancient. Still fairly fun and flashy, but ancient.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
The onion knows enough about From to know Miyazaki’s name etc but not enough to know that his games are never about elves and only occasionally about boobs.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

RBA Starblade posted:

The Onion knows about From's Very Horny Designer
Horny for things like wading in a pool of uterus blood while fighting off fetus monsters, not topless elves.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
For me it’s at least Yakuza 7, 13 Sentinels, Animal Crossing and now Sakuna: Rice and Ruin.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Simone Magus posted:

RDR2 is also on 2 discs
And FF7R even though it’s only like a third of the original game.

You just use one of them to install the data and then put the other one in to play.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Relax Or DIE posted:

I think everyone should play dark souls 2 and make this our first annual dark souls 2 December. It's the only month you can talk about dark souls 2!!
One thing I’ve always wondered about the dark souls 2 is, they said it was the first one that use motion capture for the animations, and also the animations were really unnatural to the others. Is that cause and effect or just a coincidence?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

that's a lot of loving star wars

which I guess hey
it's fine so long as they let this little weird offshoots be ways for creative people to explore science fiction in interesting ways
They’re all going to have to have Jedi poo poo in them one way or another. I’m sure of it. No exploration of what the Force means to the whole rest of life in the galaxy allowed.

Edit:

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

why are all the popular twitch streamers always just the most obnoxious fuckin people who constantly yell and scream every stream, jesus christ how do people watch that poo poo
As a kid, I reasoned that since there were things that I enjoyed that my parents thought were weird and dumb, when I was an adult there would be things kids enjoyed that I thought was weird and dumb. Turns out it’s screaming youtubers.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Dec 11, 2020

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Speaking of Fortnite, the other day I played it again for the first time in many months and even with my weak rear end FPS skills I got first place somehow. Every single other player I ran into made basic mistakes like charging blind up staircases and stuff. Is the level of playing that game just really low, or is it doing a behind the scenes thing where because I’m coming back after a long time, it’s putting me with all the worst players so that I’ll win?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

Fresh players get paired with bots lol
I guess that’s also possible, but I wasn’t completely new to the game, and if they were bots they were doing a really convincing beginner player impression.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I’ve been playing nothing but Sakuna: Rice and Ruin since it came out. It’s just been the perfect game for the end of hell year 2020. I was hoping it would make a worldwide impact but I guess not even a mention at the awards show.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I have to remember to check this out
There’s lots of action RPG/farming games these days but as far as I know none of them do either system as well as this one does. Even totally leaving the side the farming aspect, The action of slamming enemies into each other and against the environment feels better than any action game I’ve ever played.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

homeless snail posted:

sakuna is the game where the rice mechanics are so grounded that people go to the official japanese government agricultural agency website to get rice growing tips
Yeah but at the same time, the game is still pretty forgiving and won’t let you starve or anything. And you keep getting passive farming abilities for Sakuna that will give you an OK crop even if you don’t pay attention to anything.

I’m still working towards crop level 50 though.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Is anyone running a worst games of 2020 show? Most bugs, most unbalanced game systems, worst voice acting and so on?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Barudak posted:

Cyberpunk finally sweeps something
I’m told it has lots of good qualities too. I was more thinking about games that just failed at everything that they try to do. I don’t pay much attention to them as they’re coming out but it’s sometimes funny to see award shows for complete disasters.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

homeless snail posted:

english translation: to cuck
Without the racist overtones maybe though?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Gamerofthegame posted:

this is kind of the problem with sakuna too cuz it doesn't tell you poo poo and it's also how you level up, time gating your progression

so if you beef it you're twiddling your thumbs to try again, felt v weird.

you can barrel through the relatively easy stages until you suddenly are only doing 1 damage to your foes where the game says "hey, go home for a while."
The game slowly feeds you farming information in the form of scrolls, though?

To me that’s the brilliant part of the game’s progression. You’re right alongside Sakuna, learning how to farm properly in bits and pieces. And then like I said, there’s passive bonuses she gets automatically as the game goes on too.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Dec 11, 2020

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Khanstant posted:

drat, I was going to beat cyberpunk without killing anyone, so I've just been using non-lethal melee weapons and my fists. Recently I've noticed some people just lay limp in a pool of blood instead of gently rocking on the ground forever with their eyes open. It's not saying "corpse" when I scan them, but I'm starting to think I'm accidentally killing people oops
The idea that there’s perfectly reliable ways to disable people without killing them is one of the dumbest action movie tropes that carried over into video games, so I’m happy at least one video game is finally acting against it.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

WaltherFeng posted:

Sounds more like a bug to me but games need rules for this kind of thing otherwise it's just frustrating.

Like, the game telling you physical violence has a chance to kill your target and the risk depends on the amount of force. Guns and melee having the highest risk while risk being low to nonexistent with pharmaceutical sedatives and tranquilizers.

No way, tranquilizers are lethal as hell if they’re not used by experts and in controlled conditions. Why do you think anesthesiologists are some of the most highly paid and trained doctors there are? And that’s leaving aside the fact that tranquilizers cause you to fall down, which can easily kill someone.

But in general yeah. Things like that would force the player to recognize that the only 100% sure way do not kill is to not get in a fight in the first place.

Edit: I guess that got a little long. Video games uncritically bringing over action movie stuff when they could be so much more has been a pet peeve of mine for a long time.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Dec 11, 2020

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

WaltherFeng posted:

Considering your character in these games usually a highly trained super assassin / soldier / the chosen one, you can easily avoid the first issue. The second is also workable. The police use tasers all the time but falling down is rarely the direct cause of death. Even more so with slower acting tranquilizers.
Tasers incapacitate your body but in action movies and video games it’s usually interpreted as knocking them unconscious. It’s the brain that’s the tricky part, not the body.

And of course, tasers can kill people with heart conditions etc. You just never know what’s going on inside someone’s body or how they will react to being attacked.

In the context of an RPG like Cyberpunk it would make sense that when you are low level at non-lethal attacks you have a serious chance of killing them, and that chance goes down as you get better at it, but never become zero.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Dec 11, 2020

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Simone Magus posted:

2 crashes in 16 hours.

:shrug:
The standard for console games is zero crashes no matter how long you play, and almost every other game upholds that, even the most complex ones.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Weedle posted:

discovered a good way to make yakuza boss fights even more thrilling: realize right when it starts that you haven't saved in two hours
Usually they let you restart the fight if you lose, but if you have no health consumables or weapons then you’re kind of up poo poo creek.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
CP2077 has some fuckin music. Especially when Keanu’s character shows up.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

stev posted:

I love those bits. You can totally hear elements of the Witcher's score in there with a bunch of synth and guitar thrown in.
The music for the interlude with Johnny, I swear it has some of the Ladies of the Woods thrown in there.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Jay Rust posted:

Audio logs never really worked for me, sometimes something happens while they play that causes my attention to shift, and I don’t retain much of what was said, so I have to replay them anyway
I wonder how much time in MGS5 I just spent in the helicopter listening to audio logs...

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
My guess is that the police NPC quest giver lady will still act like you want to help them even if you’re killing police by the dozen.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

exquisite tea posted:

That's literally how the game was marketed in the first gameplay preview from 2018, "look at how different everything can be no 2 playthroughs are alike," except the AI is braindead so it doesn't really matter what you do and also we never communicate what choices will be important later on down the line.
If that means that the outcome will be unpredictable even though it’s based on the choices you make, isn’t that the same as one of the best things about the Witcher?

I really enjoyed how the early mission with the flathead went in that regard.

Edit: and then right after that an NPC literally says “his mistake was thinking that he could control anything”

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Dec 14, 2020

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Gripweed posted:

Was Star Wars: The Force Unleashed any good?
I really liked the first area that was a spaceship junkyard. The only other thing I really remember is another planet where there were force using animals, something that I thought should’ve been expanded much more on but I haven’t seen it since.

Edit: oh and the totally lol QTE at the end.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Roach Warehouse posted:

Is this post accidentally about Jedi Fallen Order or are all Star Wars games exactly the same?
No, the Force Unleashed also starts in a spaceship junkyard, but it’s an actual stage not not just part of the prologue.

I’m a complete sucker for spaceship junkyard environments so I was pretty disappointed that I couldn’t explore that environment in JFO.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I hope their investor meeting was like

https://youtu.be/eft74jfwETQ

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Holy poo poo I knew this was a mini game in there but I hadn't seen the gameplay for myself

Now that I'm probably putting my playthrough of Cyberpunk on hold I should probably beeline for that in Y7
In a series famous for ridiculous minigames, it’s even funnier that the most ridiculous minigame so far is trying to explain to your shareholders that you’re not loving everything up.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

What a lucky coincidence, apparently I had left off Yakuza 7 right before unlocking the management minigame #blessed
You’ll also get the only semi-hidden combat character in the game, and she rules.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

ErrEff posted:

Cyberpunk fiasco covered in a short segment on BBC World Service. That's fairly mainstream news.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/w172x7bkn2z512x Starts at the 8:46 mark.
That reminds me, I was fascinated about how the BBC news website article quickly described the game:

BBC posted:

In Cyberpunk 2077, players live in a criminal world where they can pay to upgrade their bodies with technology.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

wuggles posted:

Every part of 13 Sentinels is the best part
I don’t think I’ve ever played a game that consistent at holding my interest. It basically didn’t have any dips at all. Even Sakuna, which is probably my second favorite game of the year, had some parts during the winter where I couldn’t grow and there’s not much interesting to do for fighting, so I felt like I was just going through the motions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Feels like eventually they’ll be re-soldering the system board while the game is running and still claim it’s not a TAS.