Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Game of the Decade
This poll is closed.
Bowsette 69424 23.78%
Metis Souls 85 0.03%
Metisnite 7 0.00%
Skymetis 26 0.01%
Gone Metis 9 0.00%
MGSV: Phantom Pain (Metis Gear Solid) 13 0.00%
Journey 10 0.00%
Doom 20Metis 12 0.00%
Metis Presents: House Party 95 0.03%
Xcom: Metis Unknown 19 0.01%
Metis (gamer of the decade) (no gamer moments) 36 0.01%
The Metis 3 24 0.01%
METIISSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!! 222220 76.11%
Total: 291980 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Rarity posted:

Bowsette

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Edmond Dantes posted:

Most anything written by Shane Black makes for fantastic Christmas watching.
Lethal Weapon, The Last Boy Scout, Last Action Hero, Long Kiss Goodnight, Kiss Kiss Bang Bang, The Nice Guys are all great Christmas movies.

And Iron Man 3, although I seem to be the only person who likes that movie

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I thought the issue with racing damage was that when you license a bunch of six figure supercars the makers don't want you to show them getting smashed up

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
This is my favorite title on the Citadel

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Violen posted:

keep talking about cool infinities

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXwevR52t5k

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

RBA Starblade posted:

Is

Is the plot twist that you are the demons

It's been clear you're playing as John Stalvern for some time

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

Interesting.

Finishing KRZ is one of the big things I need to do before I finalize my GOTY.

You should really do this because it's probably going to be well-represented in everyone else's

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Infamous 2 is set mostly in a fictionalized version of New Orleans

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Death Stranding is not hard to understand, it all hangs together well in the end even if some of the basic concepts it's stringing together are pretty bonkers

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Electric Phantasm posted:

Paying loads of money to find out why Mickey wasn't wearing a shirt that one time and how this one superboss has a cape.

I've never played any KH game but I'm just going to assume the explanation for both of these is the superboss stole mickey's shirt

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Mystic Mongol posted:

Is Vamp a vampire? Does Fortune have psychic powers? Are ghosts real? Why does covering people in squids make them ideal operators for camouflaged suits?

Metal Gear is great and all, but they never decided if magic is real or not.

Magic is not real but nanomachines are

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
What was the explanation for The Fury turning into a giant flaming face that chases Snake down the hall?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The one GW speech is great and very prescient but I've never seen any other part of MGS2 singled out for that level of praise so it's hard for me to buy into the entire thing as a work of consistent genius throughout

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I'm stuck in 2002 now so I'm gonna go play *hastily scrolls through wikipedia* lilo and stitch pinball, circus maximus: chariot wars, hooters road trip, ty the tasmanian tiger, reign of fire, and karnaaj rally

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
But bacteria are basically organic nanomachines

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

CottonWolf posted:

That's prions IMO.

Prions are more like maliciously crafted files

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Rexicon1 posted:

Dark Souls is game of the decade. Don’t be crazy. It changed everything.

It changed a lot, but if we view, say, Journey as representative of the new renaissance in indie games, especially on consoles, then that's least as pervasive and significant an influence as Souls

(I didn't vote for either one, though. Bowsette forever)

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Isn't AssCreed development inertia so huge that they literally can't incorporate feedback or tech from the previous game, and that's why Unity felt like a regression in gameplay after Black Flag

Yeah, it's like the COD games where there are multiple studios (being ubisoft, multiple multi-studio task forces) all working in parallel on staggered releases

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

The game with the most impact is clearly Genshin Impact

Sorry, it cannot possibly have more impact than this

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

VideoGames posted:

Of that list I have played all bar 2 of them (Dragon Quest Heroes and Hellblade) and of them 8 appear in my top 40 of all time list - 4 in the top 10.

You should play Hellblade, with headphones, in the dark

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Haha videogames go beeeep

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
What percentage of game titles feature a colon

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Good point, my kids are only getting normal scorpions now

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Convex posted:

Just got to the eastern continent in Skies of Arcadia and now I have to retrieve... the Maga Sphere? :ohdear:

:orb:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
CDPR is independent but not indie

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Rarity posted:

The term indie in game development describes the style of game production and is a subjective term rather than something that can be defined by specific metrics

I thought this was accurate for "indie" but "independent" was defined by the relationship with a separate publisher or lack thereof

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Please rate my threads 5 or I won’t get my bonus

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I only make posts that have been focus-grouped to appeal to all four quadrants

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

fridge corn posted:

You can buy blood vials pretty cheaply

If you have zero blood vials you've probably been dying a lot so you also have zero souls

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Vigil for Virgil posted:

Does anyone know of a game that plays like this:

Basically the parts of an RTS game where you get to control a hero character, but as a group of them. Extended to a full game. Kinda like if you had Diablo but with a group of playable characters at once?

If you can get them running, the old Myth games are sort of like that. There is no unit creation or tech tree at all, you get a squad at the beginning of the level and have to keep them alive all the way to the end with fine-grained tactical control (formations, facing, real terrain height, etc)

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

doingitwrong posted:

God no. I want a partner who is supportive and funny, not a vindictive troll who will seize any opportunity to cause havoc in my name.

They mean find you a partner who will defend you to the death until you say one thing they don't like, then you're persona non grata forever

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

I said come in! posted:

Nolan has lost a lot of good will with people since the Dark Knight trilogy, and especially with Tenet

I liked Inception well enough and Interstellar a lot, but it sounds like Tenet was the point where everyone just collectively stopped indulging him

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Weedle posted:

my guess is that the certification process isn't actually adequate or effective at its stated purpose and the only reason this doesn't happen more often is that devs & publishers are usually smart enough to catch this stuff before submitting it for review

Cert is meant to catch issues that make the game unplayable (for everyone, all the time) or that violate platform rules, it's not a substitute for in-house QA and it's not going to catch design issues where the game works as intended but the intent is bad. It's definitely plausible that it slipped through the cracks

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

stev posted:

Woah now, they fulfil a very important quasi-regulatory role by making it look like publishers are actually accountable to someone and that issues in the industry might be dealt with one day.

Also as a shield against lawsuits and regulation!

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
That video is half an hour long, what's the evil thing?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Why didn't they just read a bunch of Jeff VanderMeer?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The trailer was fine, the reusing it to accompany Dom's death in 3 was so bad it made everyone who see it burst out laughing at what was supposed to be a really emotional moment

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Weedle posted:

anyone else excited for cyberpvnk 77?

I'm hyped for crusader kings 2, I love that far-flung futuristic world building

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Khanstant posted:

why dont they get those people from the demoscene to do their special tricks to make the whole game fit into a 1mb png file or whatever?

Those tricks aren't generalizable, you have to design the whole game around them, also they lead to ten minute load times while everything is unpacked and generated