Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
In 1978 or so I was around 8 years old and won a Sears knockoff of the Atari 2600 by entering a Kellogg's cereal drawing contest. I drew a picture of Tony The Tiger eating a bowl of Frosted Flakes. My Dad may have drawn it, I can't remember.

That was 2nd place and I think 1st place was a trip to Disneyworld. I might still have the game console.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.

Simone Magus posted:

I knew a woman who auditioned for Jeopardy and got picked to go on and decided not to do it :psyduck:

I have been trying to get on Jeopardy for over 10 years. I got to audition once. Its really high up on the list of things I want to do before I die. I hate hate hate hate whatever dumbass fuckin lady you knew, oh my god.

enomie
Aug 10, 2017

Postmastergeneral posted:

I found $300 on the floor of a subway sandwich shop. I was broke as poo poo at the time so i was pretty floored. It could have belonged to the guy next to me in line but i was too young to care at the time.
When I was 21 I found about $300 rolled up in a rubber band on top of a phone booth I was using. I took it and blew it on booze and pizza at the share house I was living at and only years later started to wonder where it might have come from.

Also I have won T-shirts three times. I won a Manga Video T-shirt from a contest in a video game magazine in the 90s. I won a street artist's art on a shirt in a random instagram draw. I also won a T-shirt from Tricky on his instagram. He DM'd me (and called me "bro" I felt super cool) and said to email his agent to give him my address so they could send the shirt.

They never sent the shirt :(

Willias
Sep 3, 2008
I've been summoned to jury duty 4 times (one time didn't count because I served the year before).

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Got a year of Xbox Live Gold for some drawing that popped up on the 360 around the time GTAIV came out. Didn't even notice that they had applied it to my account until 6 months later .

Bloopsy
Jun 1, 2006

you have been visited by the Tasty Garlic Bread. you will be blessed by having good Garlic Bread in your life time, but only if you comment "ty garlic bread" in the thread below
I won a 5lb. hershey bar from a gas station coloring contest when I was 10. I ate about 3/4 of it after a week or two and then one day I came home from school to find my mom had used the rest of it for baking. I was mad then and I'm mad now.

matti
Mar 31, 2019

lot of pints at pub bingo over the years

not much else

matti
Mar 31, 2019

think i won a fernet branca key chain thing once

topher2915
Jul 15, 2004
I won a trip to the marlboro ranch. I didn't even know it was a real place, but it is and holy poo poo it is awesome. Like it's hard to begin to describe the lengths they go to to make you feel comfortable. I bet I never get to go back cause you can't buy it or anything. And man the amount of swag you get. Best vacation I have ever had, and I doubt anything else ever comes close.

Conartist
Aug 15, 2004
Back when The Tech Report was still a relatively relevant and respectable computer hardware enthusiast website, I entered one of the contests that they held and won a Gigabyte Z370 motherboard that I later used to build a computer.

While a nice prize overall, I honestly ended up spending way more money than I would have liked by building that computer just to justify not having a motherboard laying around gathering dust since I already had a perfectly serviceable computer for myself at the time. Alas, while the computer is still here, The Tech Report is but a hollow shell of its former self.

Woodstock
Sep 28, 2005
Never until ~4 years ago.

At a conference (remember those?) there was a Lenovo booth and they looked bored. I walked up and gave them my info for their raffle because that's what you do.

A few weeks later I got an email that I'd won a Lenovo X1 Thinkpad. Just a quick email from a marketing person saying "Hey, you won!". It felt like such a casual thing for something so outlandish to me. Didn't believe it until the package showed up at my door. Very timely since I was broke at the time and my old netbook was getting on its years.

Still using it, including for this post. :hellyeah:

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

A Fancy Hat posted:

I also won a radio contest for tickets to a WWE show like 12 years ago, that was pretty cool. I saw Benoit like a month before he killed himself and his family.

drat you almost weren't a winner

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

topher2915 posted:

I won a trip to the marlboro ranch. I didn't even know it was a real place, but it is and holy poo poo it is awesome. Like it's hard to begin to describe the lengths they go to to make you feel comfortable. I bet I never get to go back cause you can't buy it or anything. And man the amount of swag you get. Best vacation I have ever had, and I doubt anything else ever comes close.

Okay, when you say Marlboro Ranch, I'm having trouble imagining how it could be so awesome. Can you elaborate a little?

Sy Borg
Sep 20, 2007

Grimey Drawer
A few years ago my former company were raffling gift cards during a happy hour. I won a $100 gift card to a local steakhouse.

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.
I was in a band like 15 years ago and we were being interviewed on the local radio station's late night metal show. They did a "tenth caller gets free tickets" competition and I managed to call in from inside the studio and win. It was a for a Fear Factory show that I didn't even get to go to!

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

I won an Employee of the Year award because a number of the bosses liked me, and not because I was deserving of it. I also once got an Employee of the Month certificate that was riddled with misspellings and errors, that I keep framed on my wall to remind me of how downright idiot tier my time there was.

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

I preferred your last avatar, so I put it back. My apologies to the pedo who purchased your last one (it's always projection).

Simone Magus posted:

I knew a woman who auditioned for Jeopardy and got picked to go on and decided not to do it :psyduck:

My wife was on Jeopardy. She lost.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

isaboo posted:

In 1978 or so I was around 8 years old and won a Sears knockoff of the Atari 2600

The Sears Video Arcade wasn't a knock-off, just a re-badged Atari 2600.

Extrinsic Value
Dec 2, 2020

by Pragmatica
In college I won a super smash bros melee tournament with like 48 people in it. There was a cash prize (300$ iirc), but the bragging rights were even better.

duck trucker
Oct 14, 2017

YOSPOS

Oh yeah in like 4th grade a pounded out a BS essay for D.A.R.E. in like 10 minutes that we all had to do and they picked it as one of the best essays in the whole school and I got a stuffed D.A.R.E. lion.

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
I won the beautiful baby contest at the mall as a baby.

topher2915
Jul 15, 2004

A Strange Aeon posted:

Okay, when you say Marlboro Ranch, I'm having trouble imagining how it could be so awesome. Can you elaborate a little?

Sure. So before you go they call send take your measurements for clothes. You fly out there and they have a private room in the airport, right return you get off the plane your luggage disappears and they have a big buffet and drinks in the room. Then a bus comes and gets you to take you to the ranch, which is actually a small private town on the ranch, made up to look like a western town. You go to your room and the bed is full of boots, jackets, hats, smokes, all kind of poo poo.

There is a store in town with more stuff, cameras, belt buckles, etc., And it's all free. You just go shopping by taking things. The meals are all incredible and available 24/7. Everything is spotless, and though smoking is encouraged, you never actually see any butts. Toss it on the ground, it disappears within minutes. There is basically an army of invisible workers and staff around at all times, but who knows where they stay or anything.

You can ride horses, four-wheelers, hummers, snow mobile, zip line, shoot arrows, gamble with their money, hang out at a little blacksmith shop, whatever.

There is a squad of ex-fbi that have a little jail that is just banks and banks of cameras. I talked to them, they say activists try to get on the ranch occasionally, that's why they are there.

When you leave, a person flies out with you to make sure you make it home. Any layovers or delays and they book you hotels and poo poo, you are pretty much under their care until you get in your car to go home.

Anyway, that's the basics. It's loving nuts. Not sure how you could put a dollar amount on it, though they sent me a check for taxes to pay on the actual merchandise value.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Some martial arts tournaments, a regional robotics competition, and I won a SUV from one of those 90s "under the bottle cap" competitions, but I lost the cap before I got home.

Nothing since becoming an adult though.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

enomie posted:

When I was 21 I found about $300 rolled up in a rubber band on top of a phone booth I was using. I took it and blew it on booze and pizza at the share house I was living at and only years later started to wonder where it might have come from.

Drug deal w/dead drop.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

topher2915 posted:

Sure. So before you go they call send take your measurements for clothes. You fly out there and they have a private room in the airport, right return you get off the plane your luggage disappears and they have a big buffet and drinks in the room. Then a bus comes and gets you to take you to the ranch, which is actually a small private town on the ranch, made up to look like a western town. You go to your room and the bed is full of boots, jackets, hats, smokes, all kind of poo poo.

There is a store in town with more stuff, cameras, belt buckles, etc., And it's all free. You just go shopping by taking things. The meals are all incredible and available 24/7. Everything is spotless, and though smoking is encouraged, you never actually see any butts. Toss it on the ground, it disappears within minutes. There is basically an army of invisible workers and staff around at all times, but who knows where they stay or anything.

You can ride horses, four-wheelers, hummers, snow mobile, zip line, shoot arrows, gamble with their money, hang out at a little blacksmith shop, whatever.

There is a squad of ex-fbi that have a little jail that is just banks and banks of cameras. I talked to them, they say activists try to get on the ranch occasionally, that's why they are there.

When you leave, a person flies out with you to make sure you make it home. Any layovers or delays and they book you hotels and poo poo, you are pretty much under their care until you get in your car to go home.

Anyway, that's the basics. It's loving nuts. Not sure how you could put a dollar amount on it, though they sent me a check for taxes to pay on the actual merchandise value.

Is this real? It sounds like Westworld...

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

I won a free cd in a highschool scratch off lunch giveaway thing, but all they had left was the soundtrack to "welcome to Sarajevo"

On the bus ride home I threw it out the window at a kid walking down the street but missed wide right :negative:

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Oh yeah, some weird website had a deal where you could sign up for a draw to send them a used game and they'd send you a brand new one (?)

I won and, after burning a backup copy ofc, traded in my trusty Mechwarrior 3 disc for Legend of Legaia. What a ripoff.

Cooties
Oct 31, 2012
I won a corn husking contest at the county fair and got to keep the corn. It was good

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
I have, on two separate occasions, won a dance contest by doing the robot.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Edward Mass posted:

One of the judges was a robot?

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

I made a short film about fighter pilots battling dragons that came in first place at a local film festival.

Here I am accepting my tiny trophy:

My biggest monetary win was the Nearly Naked Spelling Bee, a spelling contest where you remove items of clothing as you get words wrong and the last clothed person is the winner. I ended up keeping all my clothes and coming in first place.

The losers get a second chance to win in a stripping contest and I decided to join them because I felt bad about being the only person who showed no skin.

I danced to Sexx Laws by Beck and gave a very spirited performance. After I got down to a pair of silk boxers I ran and slid across the stage on my rear end. The silk slid better than I expected and I crashed right into a big set of speakers that then fell into the audience. So I jumped down into the crowd, grabbed the speakers, set them back up, and continued dancing. The crowd loved it and I won the stripping contest.

It ended up being over $500 in cash.

The Breakfast Sampler
Jan 1, 2006

I won a picture of a flower in a raffle for a church ball. Not really my thing, but it is a nice picture. It's on the wall behind me right now.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

For some reason I was on a winning streak at my last company. From them I won, on separate occasions/raffles:
-an iPod nano emblazoned with the company logo
-a dinner for two at some Robuchon restaurant
-pit straight tickets for two to a Formula 1 race
-a year's supply of fruit

Performance-wise I've never really won anything beyond consolatory stuff for getting second place. Story of my life, pretty much.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...
I placed first in one of the subcategories for some regional annual high school creative writing competition. I had originally written the piece as an assignment, so I hadn't made it to try to impress on that kind of level. All the entries were compiled in a book. I remember reading my submission again in the compilation and it took me a second to realize that at the end in which I implied that two lovers might possibly have sex, someone had changed it to simply be "fell asleep in each other's arms" or something to that effect.

I guess I should have been outraged at this egregious defilement of my personal artistic expression, but I just thought it was hilarious. The prize (aside from bragging rights I guess) was like ten bucks.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Edward Mass posted:

That's a power move right there.

Woohoo
Apr 1, 2008
Back in 2000 or so, Coca Cola had this campaign thing with symbols printed under plastic Coke bottle caps.

If it had a symbol of a bottle, you could get a new free bottle. Or just pay for your bottle using the cap. There could also be an image of a free yo-yo (Coca Cola company tried to make them a thing for some reason) and something or another else, I don't remember.

Thing is, caps were made of cheap red plastic. And bottles were typically stored in a refrigerator/cooler thingy with fluorescent lights in it.
So did the store next to our school. That means, you could basically go to the cooler, pick a bottle, put it next to those bright cooler lights, and light would shine through the cap, showing if it had free bottle symbol underneath or not. Or you could just use a small flashlight or whatever.

So naturally, I drank liters of free coke every day, so did few kids in our class who were in on the trick. By the end of the campaign, most of the class gained weight, I guess. But word got out or someone else discovered it also, and by next similar campaign, all bottle caps were made of black plastic.

Not sure if I "won" anything but winning the corporate machine is winning in my book.

Woohoo fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Dec 3, 2020

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

I won a large fries in the McDonalds monopoly game

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I won nearly 20% of all my matches in PUBG, I think at some point I was first in the win rating ladder. The prize was the friends I made along the way.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I won lunch with Rick Cerone and a computer monitor. At different times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

enomie
Aug 10, 2017

GORDON posted:

Drug deal w/dead drop.
Yeah probably :( Someone might have got hurt because a young stoner guy they never met ran out of phone credit at that moment and had to use a pay phone.