Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HORSE-SLAUGHTERER
Nov 11, 2020

H O R S E - S L A U G H T E R E R
"manly bath bomb" quite good forums user name

e: oh no

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

MOOBS! posted:

please post happy photos of your pets in this thread that would make me so happy

Orion (Full name: Orion Norse Hunter Of The Skies):

Mielikki (Full Name: Mielikki Goddess Of The Hunt):

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

MOOBS! posted:

your camera is also dope i can see every spot of hair that dog has had groomed and also the hair vs fur shedding on her bed. what is her name? tell her she is good and maybe fart a little so she knows its real

Her name is Ellie and she does not try to crawl into my buttcrack because she likes soft things. She is like that princess in the story who needs all the mattresses stacked up except for her it’s pillows and blankets. The camera is just iPhone portrait mode which yeah is pretty dope.

Here are some pictures of my other happy dogs.

Tarkus:

Jade:

MOOBS!
Dec 10, 2013

Literally A Person posted:

Orion (Full name: Orion Norse Hunter Of The Skies):

Mielikki (Full Name: Mielikki Goddess Of The Hunt):

both cats look super loving good but orion is my loving jam. black cats are dope as gently caress. this is my brie cheese :

shes the smartest most willfull cat i have ever met and i loving love her so much. also she is kind of a whore ala pic above

MOOBS!
Dec 10, 2013

DarkSoulsTantrum posted:

Her name is Ellie and she does not try to crawl into my buttcrack because she likes soft things. She is like that princess in the story who needs all the mattresses stacked up except for her it’s pillows and blankets. The camera is just iPhone portrait mode which yeah is pretty dope.

Here are some pictures of my other happy dogs.

Tarkus:

Jade:

ok first off ellie deserves a lot, she is very cute and i bet a p good girl despite being a princess

second off tarkus and jade look like two very happy hunds. your back yard looks loving amazing as well. i dont know many people that have their own dog sunbathing stump. your pictures make me happy and i bet all three of those dogs really dig patrolling the grounds as you drink coffee god drat thats nice

MOOBS!
Dec 10, 2013

tarkus and jade siblings? those ears and colors!

MOOBS!
Dec 10, 2013

hope you all had a good weekend. lots of bullshit going down these days. take a day for yourself. you ever try a bath? try a loving bath.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

MOOBS! posted:

tarkus and jade siblings? those ears and colors!

Not biologically, but they might as well be. Only three weeks apart in age and they’ve been together since they were only a few months old. Tarkus is a weirdo who would be lost without his big sis to show him how to dog properly.

MOOBS!
Dec 10, 2013

DarkSoulsTantrum posted:

Not biologically, but they might as well be. Only three weeks apart in age and they’ve been together since they were only a few months old. Tarkus is a weirdo who would be lost without his big sis to show him how to dog properly.

you understand that legally you have to pay jade a higher wage right? its dog union stuff dont gently caress with it. im not sure where ellie plays into all this but i have a feeling jade owes her a cut

MOOBS!
Dec 10, 2013

poor poor tarkus

MOOBS!
Dec 10, 2013

honestly i wanna see more of that yard and that stump you are gonna have to deal with one day. that looks like primo dog space

MOOBS!
Dec 10, 2013

that loving stump is dope. you should get a cat and also pose it on the stump

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

MOOBS! posted:

that loving stump is dope. you should get a cat and also pose it on the stump

You should get a nth scale replica of the stump and pose it on the stump.

MOOBS!
Dec 10, 2013

if this thread turns into stumps on stumps ill be a happy lad

MOOBS!
Dec 10, 2013

also be careful with your hands lap i saw that gaping axe wound

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

MOOBS! posted:

also be careful with your hands lap i saw that gaping axe wound

I'm disfigured. A shadow of my once beautiful self.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

MOOBS! posted:

you understand that legally you have to pay jade a higher wage right? its dog union stuff dont gently caress with it. im not sure where ellie plays into all this but i have a feeling jade owes her a cut

Jade is actually on the Town Zoning and Planning Commission which is why she is always very concerned with who is using the sidewalks and HEYHEYHEY is that a loving scooter? SCOOTERS ARE NOT AUTHORIZED IN MY TOWN BUDDY

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

oh god how did this get here i am not good with computers
Top Cop
That guitar looks sweet LAP. I like the grain mashup on the body. You going to stain it, or just do a clear poly type finish?

MOOBS!
Dec 10, 2013

DarkSoulsTantrum posted:

Jade is actually on the Town Zoning and Planning Commission which is why she is always very concerned with who is using the sidewalks and HEYHEYHEY is that a loving scooter? SCOOTERS ARE NOT AUTHORIZED IN MY TOWN BUDDY

the loving sheer hubris of scooting around jade those are tax dollars well spent

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Also the stump is here to stay. That’s her perch from which she surveys the rabbit/squirrel situation.

Ellie is indifferent. She’s old as hell, half-blind, half-deaf, had cancer, missing half her teeth etc. We rescued her from the pound 6 months ago where she was going to be put down. She’s got more important things to worry about now like looking cute and sleeping on all the softs.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Internetjack posted:

That guitar looks sweet LAP. I like the grain mashup on the body. You going to stain it, or just do a clear poly type finish?

I'm having a hard time deciding. I'm kind of a traditionalist so pretty much everything I make is finished with either a mineral oil rub and then beeswax or a slurry of coconut oil and beeswax. I'm debating if my normal finishes would stand up to being handled that much. I might just go with a stain or maybe even do a rub with some bossy-er oils. In other words I have no freakin' idea yet! :lol:

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

Top Cop
I've always liked a clear finish to show off the wood grain; the natural approach; usually a poly either a gloss or satin. I've finally done some stains this last year, and I'm a bit of a convert now. Even a couple coats of a dark stain will still show the grain through. 5-6 coats is a bit much, but 2 coats with another coat or two of poly is giving a nice aged affect. Whole new dimensions to explore! Never done much with oils or wax though. Does wax "stay on" or does it rub off over time?

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Internetjack posted:

I've always liked a clear finish to show off the wood grain; the natural approach; usually a poly either a gloss or satin. I've finally done some stains this last year, and I'm a bit of a convert now. Even a couple coats of a dark stain will still show the grain through. 5-6 coats is a bit much, but 2 coats with another coat or two of poly is giving a nice aged affect. Whole new dimensions to explore! Never done much with oils or wax though. Does wax "stay on" or does it rub off over time?

It rubs off over time but it stacks really nicely so you can kind of get a good layer that in some instances can last years before needed a little refresh. Also, refreshing is as easy as rubbing on a little beeswax and literally just rubbing it a little with a cloth then wiping it off.

I use poly when I do sculptures but that's because the wood is usually rough enough anything other than a spray is near impossible. We did a stain on my dinning room table and went with a hilarious number of coats and honestly it looks great but I worry about stain on the guitar as it's a gift for a baby and they chew on stuff. I don't know, man. I'd have that same problem with most penetrating oils too. I'm in a world of indecision.

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

Top Cop
Huh, I've never considered "a finish a kid may chew on". I don't think there is a single can of anything in the shop that would not be potentially poisonous.

Maybe some kind of mineral oil like you would use on a cutting board or wooden spoons... I have no idea.

Beeswax sounds neato though, might have to test drive that on some smaller bits.

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

i didnt know there was a chat thread check out my monster paintings

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Internetjack posted:

Huh, I've never considered "a finish a kid may chew on". I don't think there is a single can of anything in the shop that would not be potentially poisonous.

Maybe some kind of mineral oil like you would use on a cutting board or wooden spoons... I have no idea.

Beeswax sounds neato though, might have to test drive that on some smaller bits.

It works great. I use a little double-boiler to melt it down and add just enough oil to make it workable when at room temp. Some people just straight rub it on like a bar of soar and polish it. It also has the plus side of being stupid, STUPID, cheap.

Sid Vicious posted:

i didnt know there was a chat thread check out my monster paintings

These both are loving awesome, man!

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

Top Cop
Sid your monster paintings are super rad. Good classic stuff there!

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

Top Cop

It works great. I use a little double-boiler to melt it down and add just enough oil to make it workable when at room temp. Some people just straight rub it on like a bar of soar and polish it. It also has the plus side of being stupid, STUPID, cheap.

That is a trip to know there is a technique to properly waxing your wood. I'll be doing some research!

MOOBS!
Dec 10, 2013

this is extremely my poo poo

MOOBS!
Dec 10, 2013

like this one too but that bl creature is dope af nice job sid

MOOBS!
Dec 10, 2013

man honestly those eyes are real good

MOOBS!
Dec 10, 2013

so how the hell did you get into woodwork LAP. what is the basic rear end poo poo you started with. i would love to be able to look at a tree and be like "yeah i can make a cool thing out of that"

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

MOOBS! posted:

so how the hell did you get into woodwork LAP. what is the basic rear end poo poo you started with. i would love to be able to look at a tree and be like "yeah i can make a cool thing out of that"

When I was growing up my stepdad was a craftsman so that was where my initial interest came from. When I was a teen I started doing framing and window hanging on jobsites then moved over to doing independent handy-work later. Sooner or later I got interested in furniture making built my first (really lovely) table and the rest is history.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Okay chat thread. Heading down to the shop today and I'm putting the sound hole into top of the lil' gitter. I'm having a hard time deciding if I should just put a normal round hole in there or if I should do something more elaborate. I had this idea to do a series of different sized holes in a circle instead of the more traditional, you know, circle a la this picture (but pretend the circle they're all following isn't there):

What do you jokers think?

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Okay chat thread. Heading down to the shop today and I'm putting the sound hole into top of the lil' gitter. I'm having a hard time deciding if I should just put a normal round hole in there or if I should do something more elaborate. I had this idea to do a series of different sized holes in a circle instead of the more traditional, you know, circle a la this picture (but pretend the circle they're all following isn't there):

What do you jokers think?

I think the series of holes would look cool, but I’m assuming it would do weird things with the sound of the instrument?

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

Top Cop
Meh, do it. Nothing has ever been achieved without exploring.

I bet it will have some weird pickup. One big hole reverbs all the strings, but smaller displaced holes will reverb only one or two strings. Could make for some funky tuning.

Do it because it looks cool. If lucky it will look cool and have a unique sound. If it ends up sounding like poo poo and un-tunable, just make another.

MOOBS!
Dec 10, 2013

i agree with internet jack. at first i was thinking like darksoulsts tantrum but then his post made me think about the fact that a cool inspiring guitar that (could possibly) sound worse than a technically better guitar is probably the better way to go since its not like the little dude knows he wants to play any guitar yet

MOOBS!
Dec 10, 2013

is it too late to turn it into a keytar? im pretty sure keytars can have as many holes as they need without becoming all hole and no tar

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
I went with the series of holes, in a half moon. I think it looks stately. As far as tone goes, I figure there is no such thing as "bad" tone, only different so that kind of informed my decision:

Gave it the "knock" test and it's loving loud as hell and nice and chirpy!! People, I'm pumped over here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MOOBS!
Dec 10, 2013

that guitar looks both cool and dope lap. good job. however

i have been watching pbs on yourtube and like poo poo that we find long dead and being a rock fossil died millions of years ago even if we live for 10000 times the time an average person lived it wouldnt matter