Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Wrestlehut 2000 Champion of the Month for January 2008
This poll is closed.
WWE Champion: Randy Orton :smug: 7 8.75%
World Heavyweight Champion: Edge :c00l: 6 7.50%
FORMER ECW Champion: CM Punk :obama: 9 11.25%
ECW Champion: Chavo Guerrero Jr. :ese: 5 6.25%
TNA World Champion/IWGP Third Belt Champion: Kurt Angle :patriot: 5 6.25%
ROH World Champion: Nigel McGuinness :britain: 29 36.25%
GHC Heavyweight Champion: Mitsuharu Misawa :hai: 19 23.75%
Total: 80 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

As voted on previously by the posters here, we have some gaps to fill. We're going to close the box for January, February, and March over the next couple of months and this is the first one. Criteria as of 2008 was any of the three main WWE championships, the TNA and ROH Championships, and Pro Wrestling NOAH's GHC Heavyweight Championship as those were the most followed promotions of the time here on these forums.

The Champions:

Randy Orton :smug: (WWE Champion) - Randy was definitely a popular figure in the Wrestlehut culture at the time. The Randy Orton Manlove Locker Room thread was at its absolute peak, doves were being released in full force, goons loved this guy as champ! And he had a big 2008 too, starting off with an absolutely killer title defense against Jeff Hardy at the Royal Rumble that helped kick off Jeff Hardy's main event push later that year.

Edge :c00l: (World Heavyweight Champion) - Edge was still also a fair bit popular, if he and the WWE Champion ever tangled it up in the ring, it could even possible be The Greatest Match Of All Time. La Familia was hitting its stride here, continuing its feud with Rey Mysterio, and Edge would even involve himself with the other family members feuds, namely in Chavo's feud with...

CM Punk :obama: (FORMER ECW Champion) Punk was a bright spot for the ECW championship after it went through some dark times being used as a comedy prop in the McMahon/Lashley feud and a tool to elevate John Morrison on his first major singles title. Punk had a solid reign that definitely seemed to elevate the value of the title and Punk's stock as a singles wrestler, and his popularity was only going up. He got to tangle with main event players, being situated in a feud with Edge & La Familia, which resulted in Punk dropping his first WWE strap to...

Chavo Guerrero Jr. :ese: (ECW Champion) Chavo, on the other hand, didn't really step up as a wrestler when he won the championship, and in a lot of people's eyes lowered the stock of the belt even more when he entered the Royal Rumble as champion, when in the previous year the belt was a prize that the Rumble winner could choose to go after at Wrestlemania. Chavo would continue his feud with CM Punk, but we wouldn't see too many efforts worth going out of your way to see.

Kurt Angle :patriot: (TNA World Champion/IWGP Heavyweight? Champion) Kurt was having a string of good but not great matches in his run as TNA champ, winning the belt from Sting not long after Bound for Glory. He had a tremendous 2007, collecting IGF's IWGP Championship (that was legitimately stolen from NJPW) from Brock Lensar and the long term direction pointed to a destined rematch with Samoa Joe. Here in January he would have a IWGP Heavyweight title defense against Yuji Nagata at Wrestle Kingdom, which could have been a much better match if it had occurred maybe four or five years earlier for both men, and he'd defend his TNA Championship in a similarly underachieving match against Christian Cage in a weird heel vs heel dynamic.

Nigel McGuinness :britain: (ROH World Champion) After an incredible title defense against Austin Aries in December, Nigel was left with a concussion that caused some concern and doubt as to how long his championship run would last. Nonetheless, he would go through with an early January tour of NOAH, defending against a rookie Go Shiozaki. When he returned stateside, we'd see a decent title defense against Chris Hero and a really good title defense against Roderick Strong, which was an excellent in-ring match, marred by some crowd heckling over him missing a date due to a concussion in the previous month. Babyface champion Nigel is a weird bit of territory that can be hard to believe as having actually happened, but that is how his 2008 reign started off.

Mitsuharu Misawa :hai: (GHC Heavyweight Champion) No championship defenses this month saw Misawa mostly in tag action considering how late into his career we are, but hey how often do you get the chance to vote for him?

STING 64 fucked around with this message at 12:07 on Dec 1, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

The other results from 2008 to give you a sense of how people voted at the time:

Based on polls at the time, the most likely winner would have been Randy or CM Punk, even if really it should have been Nigel McGuinness (but it wouldn't have been).

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

yeah, forum opinions on Randy Orton was in a completely different universe in 06-08 than today

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

where is the none of the above option?

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Cavauro posted:

where is the none of the above option?

MI-SA-WA! MI-SA-WA! MI-SA-WA! MI-SA-WA! MI-SA-WA! MI-SA-WA! MI-SA-WA!

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Hands down it is Nigel.

A match with 2020's wrestler of the year? Check. Cage match against 2016 wrestler of the year? Check. Very good match against Roddy? Check.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

forkboy84 posted:

Cage match against 2016 wrestler of the year? Check.

That's 8 years later!

I mean, it should be Nigel who wins because he was the best, but people only ever really voted for him in big numbers the once back then :smith:

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

JOHN CENA posted:

MI-SA-WA! MI-SA-WA! MI-SA-WA! MI-SA-WA! MI-SA-WA! MI-SA-WA! MI-SA-WA!

:hai:

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Accidentally posted again.

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

In 2008 I would have voted Nigel eeeeasy.

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

It's difficult, because 2008 Misawa was so very far past his prime, Kawada and Kobashi never fell that far. On the other hand, it's fuckin Misawa.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

JOHN CENA posted:

The Randy Orton Manlove Locker Room thread was at its absolute peak, doves were being released in full force, goons loved this guy as champ! And he had a big 2008 too, starting off with an absolutely killer title defense against Jeff Hardy at the Royal Rumble that helped kick off Jeff Hardy's main event push later that year.
Voted Nigel, but this writeup is true. At the time, WH would have carried Randy to a landslide in this poll. |_O_/

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
I know that at the time I enjoyed the CM Punk/Chavo feud even though Chavo didn't do much on his end. So I voted as I would have back then.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

writing in tanahashi

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Thauros posted:

writing in tanahashi

See, Thauros gets what it's like to get back into that 2008 mindset!

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
This is a funny month since it is probably the only month where Nigel, Randy and Edge had similar in ring output in their reigns, but the Nigel match with Roddy is definitely better than any of the WWE matches. Angle's matches may have edged him out but at this point TNA was such a mess and he was so poorly booked that who could care!

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

im probably supposed to be impartial but 2008 nigel was just an unreal level of output of match quality that sadly was probably the biggest factor in his body falling apart at the beginning of 2009

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

It's Nigel. No doubt about it. Misawa shouldn't be eligible until March anyway.

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

Pretty sure I’d have voted for Punk so I voted for Punk.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Venomous posted:

Misawa shouldn't be eligible until March anyway.

Yeah, if I'd been running the polls at the time I wouldn't have included him as he had no title defenses, and given how people actually voted in 2008 he wouldn't have gotten many votes (and people would have been upset about that!).

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

Venomous posted:

It's Nigel. No doubt about it. Misawa shouldn't be eligible until March anyway.

I'm already looking ahead towards March. Nigel has an incredible month and the match that makes Tyler Black a star. Looks like a great month for him. But that match also didn't air until the end of May, when he was voted Champ of the month!

Morishima though will win the GHC Heavyweight Championship. So I'm not sure who I'll vote for.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

making tyler black a star was bad

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

He did it by beating him up though

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

is this over

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

i accidentally set it for 10 days instead of a week lol

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

JOHN CENA posted:

i accidentally set it for 10 days instead of a week lol

KEEP COUNTING

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

just need 3 more misawa votes to get the most blessed outcome.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

ItohRespectArmy posted:

Time to bus in some voters from other subforums.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

ItohRespectArmy posted:

Misawa didn't defend his belt in January and isn't eligible :colbert:

Also Wrestlehut2000 posters wouldn't have voted for him in 2008 :colbert::colbert:

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Jerusalem posted:

Also Wrestlehut2000 posters wouldn't have voted for him in 2008 :colbert::colbert:

Good thing we're all older and wiser now.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Jerusalem posted:

These people sound like they aren't worth listening to

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Voting for Chavo because, even though it would have made no sense at the time, or even now to be honest. I have always liked Chavo, and thought he deserved better than he got.

Whilst he is, of course, no where near as good as Eddie. He is still deserving of the Guerero name.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

BrigadierSensible posted:

Whilst he is, of course, no where near as good as Eddie. He is still deserving of the Guerero name.

Well, it is his actual name, you know.

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

Jerusalem posted:

counterpoint: its fuckin misawa

also I was 11 in 2008 but if 11 year old me ever saw misawa he'd know that he owns harder than anyone.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Yeah, but supposedly the whole point of filling in these gaps is because people don't like there not being poll results for the first few months of 2008 - there's not much point in filling them in if they don't remotely reflect what people actually would have voted like back then, and as loving awesome as Misawa was he wouldn't have been getting much in the way of votes back then (and also wouldn't have been on the poll at all, given he didn't have any title defenses).

I mean, I'm glad it looks like Nigel is winning January, since he SHOULD have won for every single month he was ROH Champion, but had this poll actually taken place in January then there's a better than even chance that Randy Orton would have been far and away the top vote getter.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Jerusalem posted:

Yeah, but supposedly the whole point of filling in these gaps is because people don't like there not being poll results for the first few months of 2008 - there's not much point in filling them in if they don't remotely reflect what people actually would have voted like back then, and as loving awesome as Misawa was he wouldn't have been getting much in the way of votes back then (and also wouldn't have been on the poll at all, given he didn't have any title defenses).

I mean, I'm glad it looks like Nigel is winning January, since he SHOULD have won for every single month he was ROH Champion, but had this poll actually taken place in January then there's a better than even chance that Randy Orton would have been far and away the top vote getter.

I take it you think Nigel is the GOAT for ROH champs?

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Really everyone is just dancing around the fact that they used to love Randy Orton and are kinda embarrassed of it now

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
I can count myself to the fortunate few who got into wrestling so late that it was well after any point in time where Randy Orton was even hypothetically cool, and as such I proclaim that I've never loved him :colbert:

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

who can forget the days of tracking every show that randy orton didn't wear pants

Cerebral Bore posted:

I can count myself to the fortunate few who got into wrestling so late that it was well after any point in time where Randy Orton was even hypothetically cool, and as such I proclaim that I've never loved him :colbert:

i thought he was loving great for a while. I think it was around 09/10 (?) that I thought he was complete loving dogshit until he finally started wrestling Christian.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shayna Baszler
Oct 24, 2001

i'll always take care of you
Muldoon
The Randy Orton Man-Love Locker Room