Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Wrestlehut 2000 Champion of the Month for January 2008
This poll is closed.
WWE Champion: Randy Orton :smug: 7 8.75%
World Heavyweight Champion: Edge :c00l: 6 7.50%
FORMER ECW Champion: CM Punk :obama: 9 11.25%
ECW Champion: Chavo Guerrero Jr. :ese: 5 6.25%
TNA World Champion/IWGP Third Belt Champion: Kurt Angle :patriot: 5 6.25%
ROH World Champion: Nigel McGuinness :britain: 29 36.25%
GHC Heavyweight Champion: Mitsuharu Misawa :hai: 19 23.75%
Total: 80 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I take it you think Nigel is the GOAT for ROH champs?

No.

I know.

:colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Benne posted:

Really everyone is just dancing around the fact that they used to love Randy Orton and are kinda embarrassed of it now

I still like Randy :colbert:

I loved "get well Randy", I very mush enjoyed Randy "the legend killer", I thought his feud with Christian where they swapped the title was top notch, and I have always loved his "give no fucks" attitude.

Also it was cool when he was told to show more babyface fire, so he did a jumping jack just to be an arsehole about it.

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

Is AJPW going to be on future polls? There's a Kensuke Sasaki vs. Satoshi Kojima Defense in March 2008

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Pinche Rudo posted:

Is AJPW going to be on future polls? There's a Kensuke Sasaki vs. Satoshi Kojima Defense in March 2008

If we want to be period accurate, no.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

Nakamura won the IWGP belt at the '08 Dome show. Dude might as well have been a totally different person back then with how much he would change.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Jerusalem posted:

No.

I know.

:colbert:

A giant baby is going to kill you.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

you can get banned for saying you're going to kill someone

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Lid posted:

A giant baby is going to kill you.

Fine, let's have Nigel and Morishima wrestle to see who deserves to be the champ? Oh wait.... they already did, and Nigel won :smugbert:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Pinche Rudo posted:

The first appearance of the AJPW Champion in any poll didn't come until the Champ of the Year Poll at the end of 2008. Same deal with the Open the Dream Gate Championship and the IWGP Championship*, so neither of those would be included in February and March polls. The GHC Championship did make its first appearance in a poll in the very first 2008 poll (which was in April) however!

* Kurt Angle's fake IWGP Championship also appeared in the Champ of the Year Poll at the end of 2008. I'd forgotten all about that. That was... not a good time for Kurt Angle...

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Dec 11, 2020

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
It just occured to me that the only champions on this list who haven't retired are Orton and Chavo.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Jerusalem posted:

Fine, let's have Nigel and Morishima wrestle to see who deserves to be the champ? Oh wait.... they already did, and Nigel won :smugbert:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Man Morishima ruled, he was so great. It would have taken the greatest professional wrestler in the world at the time to beat him, surpass him, and become the greatest ROH Champion of all time..... and Nigel did :smugbert:

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Jerusalem posted:

Man Morishima ruled, he was so great. It would have taken the greatest professional wrestler in the world at the time to beat him, surpass him, and become the greatest ROH Champion of all time..... and Nigel did :smugbert:

As great as AEW has been and even New Japan now that we can watch stuff live or almost live, nothing will top that 3 year run of seeing ROH title matches from January of 2006 to early 2009.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

it was really incredible and was probably my favorite period following a promotion ever.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Ordering in all the lovely DVDs by mail and getting my ears blasted by the peaked audio on the dvd menu music, shows always starting with interleaved video of Larry Sweeney cackling madly while Bobby Dempsey tried to workout, culminating in some of the most incredible main events of all time. Good loving times, great loving memories :hfive:

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.
When did ROH on HDnet take place? Bootlegging satellite tv was big back then and I would get what seemed like random episodes for free via stealing Fight Network, first time I ever actually watched a wrestling show

I remember three things: Nigel, Danielson, and the crowd throwing streamers and/or toilet paper roughly 8 times an episode

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Ad by Khad posted:

When did ROH on HDnet take place? Bootlegging satellite tv was big back then and I would get what seemed like random episodes for free via stealing Fight Network, first time I ever actually watched a wrestling show

I remember three things: Nigel, Danielson, and the crowd throwing streamers and/or toilet paper roughly 8 times an episode
early 2009 to early 2011.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

And with that, Nigel McGuinness wins January.

We will reconvene at the beginning of the next month to judge for February, and ooh boy is that an action packed month!