Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

reignofevil posted:

Camerawork:wise AEW is miles ahead because they aren't insecure in their product. They know that regardless of how many smarks are in their audience that the feats of athleticism on display are damned impressive and that if everybody is wrestling on their A game the moves won't need any help to impress. This is in contrast to WWE's camera work which I doubt I even really need to explain in great detail here in the WWE thread.

But something I wanna talk at length about regarding the contrast in presentation actually has more to do with the in ring agenting and the commentary of AEW. Again this is all my gut here from consuming a ton of the product so take it for the grain of salt it's worth but it's pretty clear to me that the most important thing about the AEW product is that it is 100% entirely informed by Cody Rhodes personal wrestling philosophies and more often than not AEW is completely dominated by the rules of storytelling that Cody had picked up or invented whole cloth from his unique position in the wrestling world. Moments where JR is going into detail regarding what precisely makes for a sloppy pin versus a tight pin. Little touches like when commentary tosses in that arguably the smaller wrestlers have the advantage in the test of strength spot due to a lower center of gravity. The radical decision that wrestlers in the AEW kayfabe should be explicitly billed based on how many years they had been an independent wrestler and that the spots they get assigned within the match should from time to time reflect the kind of strategic differences and experience gulfs that you'd expect to see between different wrestlers at different stages of their career. None of these things exist in WWE because they are all ways in which the booking is intentionally limiting itself and it's a way of carefully curating the product which doesn't allow for temperamental decision-making or on the spot changeups of the card. Because WWE had been the de-facto of american wrestling for so long it also meant these ideas were basically dead in north america until AEW revived them.

So in my opinion the single greatest factor that influences why the product AEW presents is different (and considerably better) than what WWE is presenting is that at some point Cody Rhodes came to some strongly held beliefs on how the logic of pro wrestling is supposed to actually work and Tony Khan basically gave him carte blanche to expand on his ideas and to try them out in front of a national audience for the first time since I'm guessing the 1980's. With this latitude I imagine Cody has gotten basically all of the people actually on the ground agenting matches on the same page regarding his solidified ideas for match structure and selling.

This all percolates down to matches on dynamite and dark where between the wrestlers attempting to sell the story and the strategy that's been given to them by the agents the gaps where a spot's purpose might be initially unclear or not easily deduced by those watching will then be filled in by commentary when cody pipes up in their ear exactly what the gently caress he had in mind*. For me the system is working even though sometimes I'll see spots on dark where I think Cody might be overthinking things a bit and as my final opinion for the night if Pro Wrestling ever becomes popular with general audiences or it experiences even a half decent revival it's gonna be because Cody decided professional wrestling needed to have an underlying logic if the audience was ever going to give a poo poo about it again and grow and I think he was 100% right. By giving wrestlers an underlying ruleset for them to fake-fight with he also massively widened the possibilities for audiences to relate to the characters on the show because we can make our own assessments and projections for what might happen in future episodes of AEW Dynamite based on how we know the universe works and how we know the character tries to overcome hardship. This philosophy is the skeleton and the individual wrestlers having input on storyline direction and freedom to react on the live product or to just make suggestions to the agents based on their own understanding of this philosophy is the meat.

*In fact often the only time I'll listen to an entire match and not hear anything that sounds exactly like something Cody would say is when he's out in the ring wrestling. Just because I'm fairly sure I can hear his distinct writer's voice being echoed on commentary isn't actually a bad thing though. Stories and especially ones that are a collaboration with this many people need to have someone with a solid idea of what should make sense and what doesn't make sense. I'm still not crazy about his matches but as the guy trying to create a consistent set of wrestling laws-of-physics he is an indispensable part of the AEW recipe.

It's interesting to me that you attribute this to Cody specifically, while he is a big public facing aspect of the company, is there any reason you are seeing Cody's fingerprints on things, because it could just as easily be Tony Khan (or even Christopher Daniels) based on who we have seen producing the shows from their supplementary materials.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
I can't wait for Vince to tour the Thunderdome.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Jerusalem posted:

NXT Results 12/2:
  • Shotzi Blackheart defeated Raquel Gonzalez in a ladder match to get the team advantage at War Games. So the face team is going to get the numbers advantage in a War Games match?

:eyepop:

Maybe Impact/AEW isn't going to go all that bad if WWF is doing the babyface advantage in war games.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Year%27s_Evil_(film) posted:

New Year's Evil is a 1980 American slasher film written and directed by Emmett Alston, co-written by Leonard Neubauer, and starring Kip Niven, Roz Kelly, and Chris Wallace. The plot follows a Los Angeles punk rock and new wave show host who receives a series of phone calls during a televised New Year's Eve bash from a killer warning of impending murders that he plans to exact as the New Year dawns on each time zone.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

MassRafTer posted:

NXT basically fell apart when it let the flood of TNA wrestlers and production people in.

Jerry Jarrett's poison pill being swallowed finally gets him his revenge for McMahon not giving him the keys to the castle and escaping the steroid trial.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

This is very good.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
Miss Stokely "Chuck "Big Stoke" Taylor" Hathaway.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
You are telling me the company that has made it's entire brand turning wrestling into a tastless gruel that hates itself and hates you more moved to a different venue and made it look exactly like the previous venue it was in?

Color me absolutely shocked.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

Not from the top rope, but he did it from the top of the WarGames cage in 2018. He stopped doing it well before he was with WWE because the Young Bucks yelled at him so he wouldn't die.

I'm pretty sure he has told stories of basically hating himself every time he did a double rotation moonsault.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

1glitch0 posted:

He will be revealed to be a B+ booker.

His storylines are going to be a 7 treated like a 10 so it’ll seem like they’re a 4.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Rarity posted:

No one's ever forgetting HiaC 2019

What's a HiaC?

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Which Hell in a Cell was it where Dean Ambrose was defeated by a ghost in the main event and then R-truth did the gently caress You dance?

OH, it's the show where Den Ambrose was beaten by Hatsune Miku!

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

CobiWann posted:

How often does NXT end with an overrun? I find it funny that WWE would be even THAT petty to schedule an overrun to Cole/Dream just to mess with even a late starting Dynamite.

As far as I am aware they’ve had an overrun their entire time on USA. It gets muddled because nobody really posts about it when it happens but it seems common enough. Also the Dynamite starting time was almost pushed back an half hour or more (thank you Jayson Tatum and, of course, my good friend Giannis’ missed free throw) so calling it a petty move only makes sense if Hunter was desperately trying to push his match to go longer and longer to get past the NBA game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

CopywrightMMXI posted:

WWE NXT or Star Wars character?

Owen Lars

Picking up power converters at Tosche Station.

Has the death sentence in 12 systems.

loving lol.

I don't think Rebels counts.

:patriot:

:911:

CopywrightMMXI posted:

Morgan Elsbeth

I haven't seen all of the Mandolorian.